Antiviruses

DroidN3WB

Dec 26, 2012
Visit site
Just got a SGS3 and was wondering if antiviruses are actually a necessity. And if so, which one is the lightest on resources/best?

I also wanted to mention this is a lovely community and I've already done a ton to my phone thanks to all the valuable information I've gleaned off the threads.

Shanicenicolle

Nov 2, 2012
Visit site
Just got a SGS3 and was wondering if antiviruses are actually a necessity. And if so, which one is the lightest on resources/best?

I also wanted to mention this is a lovely community and I've already done a ton to my phone thanks to all the valuable information I've gleaned off the threads.

I use webroot. light on both desktop and mobile also has backup options and lost device tools

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Android Central Forums

jcp007

Trusted Member
May 17, 2012
Visit site
I use Kaspersky Mobile Phone Security which has some nice anti-theft features as well as malware protection.

Sent From My Samsung Galaxy Note 10.1 Tablet

xplode196

Jan 16, 2011
Visit site
The way I view it, if you're smart about what you do on your phone, you won't really need antivirus.

Although on my pc I have it and lately I've been considering getting an android antivirus.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Android Central Forums

Kelly Kearns

Jan 10, 2012
Visit site
Apps get into the Play Store with bad stuff in it. The tech guy with AT&T told me the other day that most droid phone issues he sees are due to a virus or crap that is attached to some app.

gingerc76

Oct 5, 2012
Visit site
I use avast on both my computer and phone. You would think Google would at least have their playstore secured at maintaining applications but hard to keep up with the traffic i guess. I do know you can get viruses from using 4shared or any other third party app stores.

Sent from my LG-LS670 using Xparent Purple Tapatalk 2

Kelly Kearns

Jan 10, 2012
Visit site
I think the trade off is getting AV and having more apps available. iphone store has more control but less apps really, especially free and cheap ones.

nrm5110

Jun 25, 2011
Visit site
But how prevalent are viruses?

Viruses in the traditional sense are actually seldom. When these guys are talking about a "virus" they are talking about apps that have tons of push adds and stuff that make them more money.

When I think virus I think of something legitimately malicious in nature and cause actual harm to the filesystem or rack up charges or do things without your permission such as install other apps.

Apps of that type are seldom and totally avoidable with common sense. I have never once had an antivirus software and I have been in the android game for a long time. Read the reviews go over ratings make sure the dev is reputable download only from trusted sources just like any PC. There are a lot of misconceptions about security and android. But you clearly see the permissions that every app asks for if you don't like it don't download it. I'm comptia security+ certified and see these things get blown out of proportion by tin hat wearing kids thinking because they can put a computer on a network they know everything.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I727 using Tapatalk 2

nelschroeder

Dec 14, 2012
Visit site
So far my experiences have been that AVG is one of the better ones. Easy to set up and just plain good. Doesn't use up a lot of memory either. It scans every app you download automatically as they install as well as the fact that you can set it to periodically scan your device. A great little app.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Android Central Forums

Last edited:

AndroidS3

Oct 6, 2012
Visit site
I use avg, no problem at all, always scan s my phone, everything I download/install it scans

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Android Central Forums

meyerweb#CB

Banned
Sep 4, 2009
Visit site
The anti-virus makers love paranoia. Take a look through these forums, or do a google search. How many issues do you see with Android viruses. Pretty much zero. There have been a very few cases of rogue apps, mostly from China, it seems, that have been malicious, but very, very few. None of the viruses or trojans targeting PCs will affect your phone at all.

funkylogik

May 21, 2012
Visit site
I use AVG and ZONER. still got a virus.
My advice now is to only download from play store unless you REALLY cant afford something *COUGH Droidicon"
My virus wouldnt let me use safe mode so dont rely on that :thumbdown:

P.s, root and make a backup. A reset was all i needed but unfortunately hadnt rooted yet

MERRY XMAS!!!X
Unbranded international s3 with Official 4.1.2 JB. Paisley, Slotland, Western Europe :beer:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wei34