Antiviruses

nrm5110

Jun 25, 2011
Visit site
I was hoping to see if you guys had a logical reason or if it really was tinfoil hats and big brother.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I727 using Tapatalk 2

jcp007

Trusted Member
May 17, 2012
Visit site
Antivirus software is like homeowners insurance. You hope you don't need it but it is great to have with the prevalence of malware. As smartphones become more like pc and tablets, it will become more common. Hope I never have to do a remote wipe.

Sent From My Samsung Galaxy S III Handheld Device

Ricky Babalu

BEACH BUM
Aug 30, 2010
Visit site
Apps get into the Play Store with bad stuff in it. The tech guy with AT&T told me the other day that most droid phone issues he sees are due to a virus or crap that is attached to some app.
I always seek out "tech guys" from AT&T when I have a problem with my phone, they are the best informed and most knowledgeable, and always speak the truth. :p:p:p

Ricky Babalu

BEACH BUM
Aug 30, 2010
Visit site
Yeah again maybe you should research some of the virus writer groups, they go for big news items.

You don't want AV, don't have it, but stop trying to downplay the issue. Not to mention this bit of very public info about the S3, won't be long for many to take advantage of it. Honestly, following the news informs you a great deal.

bostinno.com/2012/12/19/malware-exp...xy-s3-phones-vulnerable-to-app-based-attacks/

That affects only the International version of the S3 not any of the U.S. phones. Misinformation at it's best.

Kelly Kearns

Jan 10, 2012
Visit site
Yeah, again, I trust the people that work on the phones for a living, more.

BUT, again, the big issue..ain't your phone, why do you care so much? No one is making you guys get AV.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Android Central Forums

Last edited:

AxlMyk

Sep 12, 2012
Visit site
If you have to ask the question of whether or not to get anti virus, just install something and be done with it.
Arguing about it here won't get you anywhere.

--Tapatalk on Samsung GS3.

nrm5110

Jun 25, 2011
Visit site
I build ROMs and have started app development I may not do it for a living but have certainly done my share of work. I don't know what working on phones for a living has to do with anything.

Kelly Kearns

Jan 10, 2012
Visit site
I build ROMs and have started app development I may not do it for a living but have certainly done my share of work. I don't know what working on phones for a living has to do with anything.

Still? Again, why do you care so much?

Sent from my AT&T Samsung S3

nrm5110

Jun 25, 2011
Visit site
Still? Again, why do you care so much?

Because it is a reinforcement of the stigma behind android and security. The ecosystem itself is far more secure than its PC counterparts in the sense that at least it tells you what you give the app access to. These antivirus makers are thriving on an unfounded fear. It makes me mad that we feed the fear of the general public making them think this os isn't secure or safe to use.

Kelly Kearns

Jan 10, 2012
Visit site
Because it is a reinforcement of the stigma behind android and security. The ecosystem itself is far more secure than its PC counterparts in the sense that at least it tells you what you give the app access to. These antivirus makers are thriving on an unfounded fear. It makes me mad that we feed the fear of the general public making them think this os isn't secure or safe to use.

You really need to stop your obsession and read this thread again. No one is in fear and most of us are living in reality and common sense.

It affects you in NO WAY if we want AV and choose to use common sense and listen to the experts, not to mention the issue with the S3 that Samsung has CONFIRMED.

AGAIN, does not affect you, you posted what you believe, please stop trying to derail this thread into your personal crusade.

nrm5110

Jun 25, 2011
Visit site
You really need to stop your obsession and read this thread again. No one is in fear and most of us are living in reality and common sense.

It affects you in NO WAY if we want AV and choose to use common sense and listen to the experts, not to mention the issue with the S3 that Samsung has CONFIRMED.

AGAIN, does not affect you, you posted what you believe, please stop trying to derail this thread into your personal crusade.

Again with the experts where please supply these experts.

The s3 is again vulnerable to app based attacks by the time you install the app the damage will likely be done and no av will save you.

Kelly Kearns

Jan 10, 2012
Visit site
Again with the experts where please supply these experts.

The s3 is again vulnerable to app based attacks by the time you install the app the damage will likely be done and no av will save you.

Still again, huh? Does not affect you. Don't know about what you know, but my software scans the app before it is installed and will stop it.

But the bigger thing, WHY DO YOU CARE???

Start your own thread with your info since this is the purpose and meaning of your entire life.

Kelly Kearns

Jan 10, 2012
Visit site
My big thing, no one is attacking people choosing not to use AV, same can't be said for the other side of the coin

nrm5110

Jun 25, 2011
Visit site
I wasn't attacking anyone I asked for clear cut evidence which I have yet to see.

NotJustAPhone

Jan 29, 2011
Visit site
This is directed to everyone active in this thread. No calling out other members. No personal commentary. Stick to a civil discussion.

Sent from my Nexus 4