Are NFC tags paired with a specific phone?

jamesino

Sep 30, 2012
Visit site
If I program an NFC tag to say, turn on Wifi or open up an app, and my friend places his phone on the same tag, will it do the same for his phone? Or are NFC tags matched up with a specific phone?

mssca

Sep 15, 2012
Visit site
I think they are specific to the phone. At least for the Samsung NFC tags because I remember reading that one disadvantage to locking the tag from re-writes is that it will not allow any modifications including adding an additional device to the NFC list.

GSDer

Jan 30, 2011
Visit site
It depends on what you mean by 'a specific phone' - NFC tags that you've programmed on your SGSIII should work on anyone else's SGSIII, but I don't know if they will work on a different model phone that also has NFC capabilities (I haven't tried that). Several of us at the office, on different carriers, were able to use the same NFC tags. I'd recommend https://forums.androidcentral.com/e...d=com.jwsoft.nfcactionlauncher&token=90p_r-6k - it's much better than the stock app.

Sent from my rooted, debloated, deodexed Sinclair ZX-80 running CM -0.001 using Tapatalk 2

nyry

Oct 29, 2010
Visit site
Samsung nfc tags work with any phone.. I tried a tag at my local Costco cell phone kiosk and it worked fine for my GS3 :D

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Android Central Forums

jamesino

Sep 30, 2012
Visit site
What happens if you program it to do something that someone else's phone doesn't have? For example, if I program it to open Angry Birds and my friend doesn't have Angry Birds, does his phone just say "App cannot be found"?

Does this also mean that you can do malicious things with the tags? Can you program a tag to erase all data for example?

smooth4lyfe

Trusted Member
Sep 16, 2012
Visit site
I think if your friend doenst have Angry Birds, the Play Store will probably open up and have them download the app.

Yeah this is exactly what will happen...if ur program it for an app and another phone doesnt have the app, it will open the play store and direct the phone to the app

droidtiles

Jan 6, 2013
Visit site
NFC Tags are not paired with phones the way Bluetooth is, but whether it will do the same thing on your phone as someone else's is entirely dependent on what that specific thing is. Most phones have default behaviors when reading an NFC tag and encountering common NFC data, for example if it reads a web site, it will launch the browser and nav to the site. However for scripts, such as TecTiles or NFC Task Launcher, you will need to have the scripting app installed in order to even run the script and then yes, you will need the same apps the script calls on your phone or it will not work.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Akshay