[APP] Swipe Dialer

Mike Barnett

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site
Hello,

I'm the developer of Swipe Dailer, A dialer created to replace the stock slow S3 dailer with a more AOSP based one,

Attached are some screen shots :)

2w30zll.png

Its free, so if you want to give it a go here is the link, https://forums.androidcentral.com/e...ps/details?id=com.mb.swipedial&token=fFKul4XI

I have also uploaded a Pro version here is the link, if you wanna buy me a beer :) https://forums.androidcentral.com/e...ils?id=com.mb.swipedial.donate&token=FICc4noe With the Pro version you get an added extra of an Indexed Contact list and ill be adding more features to this version.

+ Full T9 support
+ Stock android style
+ Big favourite photos
+ Very fast
+ Delete one or all call logs via long press
+ Send SMS's via long press on a contact
+ Change backgrounds (Pro only)
+ Use your own background (Pro only)
+ Change dial pad colour (Pro only)
+ Indexed contact list (Pro only)
+ Configuration of dialer sounds (Pro only)

v 1.6

+ New blue icon
+ High quality photos for favourites
+ Video calling via long press
+ Context menu on T9 contacts
+ Lot smarter T9 suggests your most contacted name/number
+ Drop shadows on text
+ Long phone numbers will resize to fit in the contact picker
+ Sort by surname in contacts list (Pro only)
+ One handed dialer mode for large screen devices (Pro only) (beta)
+ Change log added

v 1.5.3
+ Copy & Paste phone number
+ T9 now ranks default number top for each contact
(thanks for feedback)
+ Default number bug fixed
+ Bug fixes

v 1.5.2
+ Thanks for all the bug reports:)
+ Long press on recent's can delete call logs (one or all)
+ UI work, Text sizes more consistent
+ FC on dialing (T9 will now load fully)
+ FC on corrupt favourites

v 1.5a
+ Faster faster faster
+ Bug Fixes
+ FC on open
+ Long press on contacts screen

v 1.5
+ Big speed increase loading all contacts now lots faster
+ Custom dialer color (Pro only)
+ New stock background (Pro can change this)

v 1.3.5 / 1.4
Full background support on the dialer (Pro only)
Loads for contacts, favourite?s and recents are now loaded simultaneously!!! Mega fast

v 1.3
+ Blue separator bar
+ Rid of all Samsung UI elements
+ Better spacing on the dialer
+ Configuration of dialer key sounds (Pro only)
+ App will not conflict when OS touch screen sounds are enabled

v 1.2
+ Show number type on all list displays (mobile home work etc)
+ More UI updates
+ Favorite photos are now bigger

Regards,

Mike

Last edited:

Mike Barnett

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site
New version pushed

V 1.6.1

+ Please rate the app! :)
+ ADDED TO FREE - Indexed contact list
+ Donate version renamed to PRO
+ Telephone Number formatting for all regions
+ Favourites photo bug
+ Call duration added to recent calls
+ Contact search now works with surname
+ UI Improvements
+ German Translation --- thanks to morruk
+ French Translation --- thanks to kawazzzzzz

meyerweb#CB

Banned
Sep 4, 2009
Visit site
I'm trying out the free version. I'll see how it goes. Two comments right away, though: It would be nice if it copied the favorites from the stock dialer, rather than having to learn them all over again. And the inability to display entries last name first may frustrate so much I never give it a fair shake. Yes, I know the paid version offers that, but I'm not going to buy it without trying the free version first.

Also, your posts refer to a "donate" version, but that's not what it is. Fair enough to give the paid version more features, but that's not what "donate" implies.

Mike Barnett

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site
Hi!,

Many thanks for the feedback, Im not sure I understand what your saying about the favorites... the application does read the favorites from android, what phone do you have? maybe it dos'nt store its favorites as android recommends, if you would let me know your phone and what version of android your running ill look into it,

The donate version was renamed to Pro because to many people got confused with what donate was... sorry about the confusion in the opening post i have updated it! :)

Also you can try the pro version for 12 hours and if you dont like it just go back to my google play shop and click refund :)

Cheers

Mike

meyerweb#CB

Banned
Sep 4, 2009
Visit site
I have a Sprint Galaxy S3, running 4.1.1. It's rooted, but on the stock ROM. The native dialer has 25 entries in the Favorites list (although they're a bit funky: one of them I haven't contacted in a couple of years. I did edit her contact entry, however.) In Swipe Dialer, when I click on the star, I have no entries listed at all.

Thanks for the info on the Pro version. I'll play with the free version for a bit, and if I think I'm at all interested I'll give the Pro version a try.

Hey, if nothing else these posts might get your app some attention in the forum. :)

DroidXcon

Oct 21, 2010
Visit site
Ok so I have just installed this on my vzw note 2. I def like this over stock. Favorites transferred over and I really like how big they are which displays contact pictures beautifully.

I like it so far (besides the haptic feedback , im sure I can change on pro) ill give it a go for a couple days and give some more feedbsck. Thanks for posting here at AC.

From my Galaxy Note 2 via Tapatalk

Mike Barnett

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site
Ok so I have just installed this on my vzw note 2. I def like this over stock. Favorites transferred over and I really like how big they are which displays contact pictures beautifully.

I like it so far (besides the haptic feedback , im sure I can change on pro) ill give it a go for a couple days and give some more feedbsck. Thanks for posting here at AC.

Thanks for the feedback :) if you do go pro make sure you try out the one handed dialer mode :) i need some feedback on that from a note user :)))

Regards

Mike

DroidXcon

Oct 21, 2010
Visit site
Thanks for the feedback :) if you do go pro make sure you try out the one handed dialer mode :) i need some feedback on that from a note user :)))

Regards

Mike

Ok ill give it a shot.

Quick feedback. So contact list scrolls very smoothly while favorites list is kind of jittery while scrolling. I thought it may be the pictures so I chose favs with no photos but scrolling was still jumpy. Is this something that can be helped.. I think I'm. Being nit picky in this case for develipments sake . Its def something I can live with for the exchange of having the people I'm closest to have nice viewable pictures in my favorites list.

Mike Barnett

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site
Ok ill give it a shot.

Quick feedback. So contact list scrolls very smoothly while favorites list is kind of jittery while scrolling. I thought it may be the pictures so I chose favs with no photos but scrolling was still jumpy. Is this something that can be helped.. I think I'm. Being nit picky in this case for develipments sake . Its def something I can live with for the exchange of having the people I'm closest to have nice viewable pictures in my favorites list.

Thanks pal,

No I know about it,

I have a little bit of a trade of to make, If i cache them big photos into ram the dailer gets cleaned out of memory a lot quicker, and people are asking me to implement a keep in memory option, like nova launcher etc,

But everything i read says this is not possible :s,

I wish i could see nova lauchers code base :)

Cheers! I will get it sorted..

Mike

Mike Barnett

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site
New version pushed 1.6.4

Please rate the app!
Cover flow for contacts; just turn your phone landscape (Pro only)
Change text colours (Pro only)
Improved settings menu
More efficient picture handling
Fix FC in contacts
Cover flow improvements to follow

swindelljd

May 28, 2010
Visit site
Hi Mike,
I just downloaded this and definitely like it better than the S3 stock dialer. In fact I decided to go ahead and purchase it.

Here's what I have found so far:
Contact screen:
1) contact search is a bit janky when it is searching while I type. When clicking on a contact it takes 4 to 5 seconds to display. Also I am able to "hang" the search by typing "a." (no quotes). I then have to swipe away to the dial pad and then back before the contact search feature is responsive again

2) It would be nice to be able to change the "favorite" status of a contact within the app. Right now I have to go over to the system contact app to do this

3) It's unclear what the "save" does in the contact dialog. I checked off one of the phone numbers and clicked "save" and nothing appears to happen. Do you need to need to also check the "make default" checkbox? If so that would seem redundant.

Dial pad:
4) I was able to get the T9 feature to stop working. Not sure exactly how but I rapidly typed a few phone numbers and then when I erased the numbers, I could no longer use the T9 namepad search feature until I force closed and restarted the app

5) It would be great if the T9 type ahead search looked at both names and phone numbers.

6) the app doesn't appear to be listening for the dialer intent (don't know what the intent is actually called). To recreate, go to a browser page, say comcast.net and find their 1-800 phone number and click on it. The only two apps that are available are the stock dialer and Lookout phone number scanner. It would be really useful to have your app show up here as well

7) I'd like to be able to edit a number in place. For example, in conjunction with item 4, I click on a number in a web page that is missing the area code. Once I get into the dialer, I'd like to be able to click on the number and change it prior to dialing.

8) if you collapse the number pad by scrolling through the names (btw, I love that feature) it would be great that if you delete all the numbers you type the dial pad would automatically re-open.

*) Pro only - The dial pad does not fill the whole space horizontally. It appears compressed over the Phone and Back button icons.

Call history:
9) All the text on the call history except the contact name is so faint it is unreadable unless I turned the brightness to the highest setting and squint.

10) The second line of text sometimes overlaps . For example "28 minutes ago, 1:06PM Not Answered" gets run together so the "PM" and the "Not" overlap each other

11) Clicking on the contact picture in the contact search and call history screens behaves inconsistently. On the call history it opens the contact in edit mode in the stock contact editor and in the contact search it opens your contact view dialog.

12) It would be nice if the long press allowed emailing, google+, facebook, tweet contact options in addition to call & sms

General
13) Since I have an SGIII and actually like the menu button, it would be nice if pressing this called the action button that is on the dialer

14) Again since I have an SGIII it would be nice if long pressing would launch the contact search as if I have clicked the spyglass

15) Please remove the "RATE THIS APP" menu from the Pro version. I paid for the app so I could get rid of this type of stuff.

Favorites:
16) I'd like to be able to rearrange favorites order by using the Jelly Bean metaphor of long press and then dragging around.

Mike Barnett

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site
Hi Mike,
I just downloaded this and definitely like it better than the S3 stock dialer. In fact I decided to go ahead and purchase it.

Here's what I have found so far:
Contact screen:
1) contact search is a bit janky when it is searching while I type. When clicking on a contact it takes 4 to 5 seconds to display. Also I am able to "hang" the search by typing "a." (no quotes). I then have to swipe away to the dial pad and then back before the contact search feature is responsive again

Wow nice find :) I'll sort the crash and move the search off the UI thread :)

2) It would be nice to be able to change the "favorite" status of a contact within the app. Right now I have to go over to the system contact app to do this

Yeah, this is already on my todo list :) Im currently thinking long press add/remove favorite..

3) It's unclear what the "save" does in the contact dialog. I checked off one of the phone numbers and clicked "save" and nothing appears to happen. Do you need to need to also check the "make default" checkbox? If so that would seem redundant.

OK this is hard to explain, the contact picker has four jobs.
One look up contacts phone number if your dialling from a landline etc.
Two dial non-default contact number
Three change the default number
Four prompt the user when no default number exists and maybe set one save it then dial, dial actually does save and dial if "set default is ticked"

I didn't want to mess up the UI with close, save, save and dial would look messy...

I'm more than open to ideas on this if you have any slicker ways of dealing with the 4 jobs in one ui...

Dial pad:
4) I was able to get the T9 feature to stop working. Not sure exactly how but I rapidly typed a few phone numbers and then when I erased the numbers, I could no longer use the T9 namepad search feature until I force closed and restarted the app

Hmmmm, I'll try to replicate this issue on my device

5) It would be great if the T9 type ahead search looked at both names and phone numbers.

T9 should look for both names and phone numbers? not sure I follow search ahead?, T9 sorts them by most contacted, T9 score, then name... this can be changed in settings to remove the most contacted weight

6) the app doesn't appear to be listening for the dialer intent (don't know what the intent is actually called). To recreate, go to a browser page, say comcast.net and find their 1-800 phone number and click on it. The only two apps that are available are the stock dialer and Lookout phone number scanner. It would be really useful to have your app show up here as well

Great idea!!!!! I'll sort it...

7) I'd like to be able to edit a number in place. For example, in conjunction with item 4, I click on a number in a web page that is missing the area code. Once I get into the dialer, I'd like to be able to click on the number and change it prior to dialing.

Yeah, I was stuck trying to do this for a long time, I'm at the limits of the Android TextView I think, I might have to code my own.

8) if you collapse the number pad by scrolling through the names (btw, I love that feature) it would be great that if you delete all the numbers you type the dial pad would automatically re-open.

Yeah agreed, again great idea!

*) Pro only - The dial pad does not fill the whole space horizontally. It appears compressed over the Phone and Back button icons.

Hmm, this is hard as my s3 blew up (sudden death) :( I'm now on a nexus 4, and the emulator is exact, would you mind screenshotting it for me?

Call history:
9) All the text on the call history except the contact name is so faint it is unreadable unless I turned the brightness to the highest setting and squint.

Again this is hard work for all the devices, however I'm guessing you haven't got 1.6.4 yet?, this has the option to change all the text colours, keep an eye on play store..

10) The second line of text sometimes overlaps . For example "28 minutes ago, 1:06PM Not Answered" gets run together so the "PM" and the "Not" overlap each other
Ok, hmm, I don't want to drop the font size any more, so I might drop minutes to mins - Do you think that would do it? again my screen DPI is different, grrrr

11) Clicking on the contact picture in the contact search and call history screens behaves inconsistently. On the call history it opens the contact in edit mode in the stock contact editor and in the contact search it opens your contact view dialog.

Thanks, again Ill sort that

12) It would be nice if the long press allowed emailing, google+, facebook, tweet contact options in addition to call & sms
Well well, can you believe facebook and goole plus dont allow 3rd party apps to pull data from the contacts database in relation to social networks its a ball bag, I wanted to show facebook updates for favourites but its not allowed:(

General
13) Since I have an SGIII and actually like the menu button, it would be nice if pressing this called the action button that is on the dialer

Ok ill see what i can do on that

14) Again since I have an SGIII it would be nice if long pressing would launch the contact search as if I have clicked the spyglass
KK, as above

15) Please remove the "RATE THIS APP" menu from the Pro version. I paid for the app so I could get rid of this type of stuff.
Totally agree pal, sorry what was I thinking - ill only prompt in the change log does that seem fair? I like the feedback you see

Favorites:
16) I'd like to be able to rearrange favorites order by using the Jelly Bean metaphor of long press and then dragging around.

WOW ermm, WOW.... don't know how I could do that, but its a good idea

OMG thanks so much for the great feedback,

Comments in bold :)

Thanks

Mike

Last edited:

Tkbredx

Apr 8, 2012
Visit site
That was great feedback. Lol. Constructive criticism / help. Not insulting. Good stuff man. Looking forward to the updates.

Question. If possible. Someway could we make emojis see able in the contacts? No contacts app can you put emojis in and see them. If you could do that in yours (if possible) it would put you over all other apps. Just saying. Lol :beer:

swindelljd

May 28, 2010
Visit site
I added my replies in italics. Also added a couple of new things.

Dial pad:

T9 should look for both names and phone numbers? not sure I follow search ahead?, T9 sorts them by most contacted, T9 score, then name... this can be changed in settings to remove the most contacted weight

*** I played around with this a bit more. It's not a question of the sort, it's that in some cases the search result is not returning all the contacts I would expect. It appears to search on the number if it matches the beginning of the number including formatting. For example:
I tested using contacts with differently formatted numbers
a) 1-xxx-yyy-zzzz and I type 1xxx, it returns the contact
b) 1 xxx yyy zzzz and I type 1xxx it does not return the contact
c) (xxx) yyy-zzzz then the number search doesn't work at all
d) typing starting with the prefix eg "yyy" or the rest of the number "zzzz" does not return the expected contacts

I would expect that the number search would ignore special characters including (, ), -, <space>. I would also expect it to search inside a number and not just "starts with".

Yeah agreed, again great idea!

NEW: 8a) If would also be nice if the number pad would re-open if you tap on the numbers

Hmm, this is hard as my s3 blew up (sudden death) I'm now on a nexus 4, and the emulator is exact, would you mind screenshotting it for me?

*** Sorry, this was user error. I enabled the one hand dialing feature which caused this behavior. I turned it off and the number pad now fills the whole screen

NEW: 20) I also noticed that if you have the "Enable phone number formatting" enbabled the T9 search only works for 3 characters. For example typing "Michael" results in "642-4235". As soon as I hit "h" the searching stops working because of the "-" inserted into the number. I would expect the number formatting to only affect the display of the number and not change the searching behavior.

Contacts:

Yeah, this is already on my todo list Im currently thinking long press add/remove favorite..

*** There are three places I see this would make sense: long press menu, having a star toggle on the contact screen and as a star toggle on the Pick a phone number popup.

NEW: 18) If short pressing the contact name is going to dial the default number, that number it would be nice to display that number just below the name so the user knows what number will be dialed

NEW: 19) The rolodex scroll does not work if "Sort by surname" is enabled.

Call history:

Again this is hard work for all the devices, however I'm guessing you haven't got 1.6.4 yet?, this has the option to change all the text colours, keep an eye on play store..

*** I was using the Free version at the time. Once I downloaded the Pro version I was able to change this to make it readable. However it would be good to have it readable even on the free version

Ok, hmm, I don't want to drop the font size any more, so I might drop minutes to mins - Do you think that would do it? again my screen DPI is different, grrrr

*** This also happens with "11 hours ago, 08:48PMNotAnswered" so I don't think just changing it to "mins" would totally solve it. You could change "Not Answered" to "No Answer" or change that text to some type of icon instead. Or maybe reduce the padding on the right side of the list view by a couple of pixels. Alternatively you could move the call length to one of the other lines in that listview, though that may not look right.

General:

OK this is hard to explain, the contact picker has four jobs.
One look up contacts phone number if your dialling from a landline etc.
Two dial non-default contact number
Three change the default number
Four prompt the user when no default number exists and maybe set one save it then dial, dial actually does save and dial if "set default is ticked"

I didn't want to mess up the UI with close, save, save and dial would look messy...

I'm more than open to ideas on this if you have any slicker ways of dealing with the 4 jobs in one ui...

*** Not sure if this will work technically but perhaps change it so a short press dials that number and long press brings up a context menu with
Dial
SMS
Set as default
Copy to clipboard

Then you could just have a close button (or no button since hitting back will close)

12) It would be nice if the long press a contact allowed emailing, google+, facebook, tweet contact options in addition to call & sms
Well well, can you believe facebook and goole plus dont allow 3rd party apps to pull data from the contacts database in relation to social networks its a ball bag, I wanted to show facebook updates for favourites but its not allowed

*** Fair enough. I would say at least enable emailing. In fact on the pop up contact viewer it would be great that if you clicked on the email address it took fired the email intent (Intent.ACTION_SEND I think).

Totally agree pal, sorry what was I thinking - ill only prompt in the change log does that seem fair? I like the feedback you see

*** I think Google in general frowns upon asking for ratings but just in the change log would be fine. You could also move it to the setting menu like Nova launcher with the text "Say thanks" - If you are enjoying Nova please leave a comment on the Play Store. Since it's in the setting screen it doesn't seem as obtrusive.

WOW ermm, WOW.... don't know how I could do that, but its a good idea

*** Yeah, sorry I was getting a little carried away. It would be cool but can't even think how this would work.

Mike Barnett

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site
Ok guys quick progress update, I have sorted all the points below. :)

1) contact search is a bit janky when it is searching while I type. When clicking on a contact it takes 4 to 5 seconds to display.
3) It's unclear what the "save" does in the contact dialog. I checked off one of the phone numbers and clicked "save"
and nothing appears to happen. Do you need to need to also check the "make default" checkbox? If so that would seem redundant.
4) Also I am able to "hang" the search by typing "a." (no quotes). I then have to swipe away to the dial pad
and then back before the contact search feature is responsive again
7) I'd like to be able to edit a number in place. For example, in conjunction with item 4, I click on a number in a web page that is missing the area code.
Once I get into the dialer, I'd like to be able to click on the number and change it prior to dialing.

Ones i think are solved already, happy to hear otherwise tho...

Again thanks for the feedback, ill push a new update when i have ran out of steam :)

Mike Barnett

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site
V1.6.5 Pushed lots of your feedback in here swindelljd :)

Edit numbers prior to call
Add and remove favourites
Improved contact search
T9 now weighs phone numbers and contact names
T9 now ignores spaces hyphens and other formatting
Dialpad popup improvements
Clicking on contact photos now behaves consistently
Layout improvements on recents
Removed rate this app from the menu in Pro
Norwegian added. Thanks longice

swindelljd

May 28, 2010
Visit site
V1.6.5 Pushed lots of your feedback in here swindelljd :)

Thanks for the quick turnaround Mike. This is a stellar update!

Here are a couple of issues I have run into today:
Contact Screen:
1) The rolodex scrubber on the contact screen doesn't work properly if "Sort contacts by Surname" is enabled. It's as if the list view is re-sorted but the index into the list view is not.

2) If you search for a contact and then click on the name it causes a FC. I sent the stack trace to you.

Dial Pad:
3) The T9 dialer for numbers sometimes doesn't return all expected results. For example, I have two contacts with almost identical numbers 1 (xxx) yyy-zzz0 and 1 (xxx) yyy-zzz1 . When I dial xxxy, it only returns the 1 (xxx) yyy-zzz1 contact. I did notice that the contact with 1 (xxx) yyy-zzz0 as their default number also has 1 (xxx) yyy-zzz1 as a secondary number on their contact so this could be confusing the search algorithm.

4) Sometimes the "set as default" option on the Pick a phone number screen doesn't always work when you click save. This only seems to happen when the screen is launched from the dialpad.

General:
5) I think that the call history might be picking up SMS messages. I was texting with a friend today and it shows up as if we had been calling each other.

6) I've gotten a FC a few times today when I opened the app after not using it for a while. This happens with or without "Keep in Memory" enabled. I sent the stack traces to you.

Let me know if you'd like more general feedback other than just errors I encounter.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MickTavia