My battery's a weirdo

vitale232

Dec 29, 2012
Visit site
Hey all

Recently switched to the gs3 from the iphone and couldn't be happier with the new device. Love the big screen, jelly bean is fun to tinker with, and it's so much easier to upload media.

I've been having one issue though. When I first pulled the phone out of the box I was having a charge issue. I'd charge to 100,unplugged, and the phone would immediately show 85-90%.

I've run the battery to zero and done full charges in an attempt to fix this. It seems to have helped a bit. It will now stay at 100% without the immediate drop, but there is still something weird going on. It's doing a very rapid discharge for the first few minutes of being unchanged (screen off) then seemingly stabilizing. This is while charging with phone on. Here's a screen shot of the battery stats.

e2ahy8yt.jpg

umaraseh.jpg

Is this behavior as abnormal as I suspect? I would expect the phone to slowly drain from 100 when unplugged. Any ideas what might be going on or how to address it?

Thanks

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk 2

funkylogik

May 21, 2012
Visit site
Some people will disagree with this but try the "battery calibration" app (theres a few but get the one that doesnt require root if youre not rooted) and follow the instructions.
The battery should jump down when u unplug but not that much. Sounds like a problem with the phone n not the battery.
Love the title btw :)
Nothing to lose by trying the app mate, i used it and when i unplug, it goes from 100 to 99 and so on :)

MERRY XMAS!!!X
Unbranded international s3 with Official 4.1.2 JB. Paisley, Slotland, Western Europe :beer:

nrm5110

Jun 25, 2011
Visit site
The other option is to do old fashioned calibration which often yields a better result but takes more work.

Charge battery to 100%
Remove from charger and turn off phone
Wait 5mins
Place on charger while off until it indicates full charge.
Remove from charger 5mins
Place back on charger while off until it indicates full charge
Repeat the 5 min steps until the phone indicates a full charge after the 5min wait.
Then use phone like normal again

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I727 using Tapatalk 2

Apr 10, 2012
Visit site
How long are you charging the battery? This normally happens when you 'overcharge'

Which in my terms means your battery charged in 2 hours but you took it off the charger at 4 hours instead of taking it off immediately when it finished

That normally happens when this is the case and you get that 10-15% run off

Sent from my SPH - L710 running Pac Man Rom 4.1.2

My notification bar >>>>>> yours

funkylogik

May 21, 2012
Visit site
Nah bro i charge over night n get normal indications when i unplug :thumbup:

MERRY XMAS!!!X
Unbranded international s3 with Official 4.1.2 JB. Paisley, Slotland, Western Europe :beer:

Apr 10, 2012
Visit site
Nah bro i charge over night n get normal indications when i unplug :thumbup:

MERRY XMAS!!!X

For me, on the extended battery I have, I get normal readings when I unplug after a long time, on the oem, I got a fast discharge when unplugged after a long time.

Sent from my Google Nexus 7 running aokp 4.1.2, because there is no PacMan rom for the nexus :(

blade22222

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site
I have to agree with funky I leave mine on all night and when I unplug it drops slowly.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Android Central Forums

vitale232

Dec 29, 2012
Visit site
Thanks for the info. I didn't find any apps that can calibrate without root. I'll try the plug trick.

It was on the charger about 6 hrs for the charge the screen shots show. It was below 5% when I plugged it in. So I can't imagine it overcharged much more than an hour or 2, right?

tsells

Jul 8, 2012
Visit site
Thanks for the info. I didn't find any apps that can calibrate without root. I'll try the plug trick.

It was on the charger about 6 hrs for the charge the screen shots show. It was below 5% when I plugged it in. So I can't imagine it overcharged much more than an hour or 2, right?

You can't overcharge this battery!!!! You can leave it on the charger for days at a time and it should not have any negative effect on it.
But your battery should not be discharging like it is. You might want to see if you could take the phone back to your carrier and exchange the battery for another one.

vitale232

Dec 29, 2012
Visit site
You can't overcharge this battery!!!! You can leave it on the charger for days at a time and it should not have any negative effect on it.
But your battery should not be discharging like it is. You might want to see if you could take the phone back to your carrier and exchange the battery for another one.

Not quite sure how I forgot to mention this. I did get a warrantied battery from at&t. They were useless when it came to trying to ID the problem. They said I could get a new unit on warranty if it persists. The new battery behaved the same but is slowly getting better. Think it's worth a warranty? Not sure I wanna deal with setting everything back up. But then I guess I could always backup... [see what I did there ;-)]

funkylogik

May 21, 2012
Visit site
This one bro.
Its ad supported so obv ditch it once youre done with it ;)
erunyga9.jpg

MERRY XMAS!!!X

funkylogik

May 21, 2012
Visit site
Not quite sure how I forgot to mention this. I did get a warrantied battery from at&t. They were useless when it came to trying to ID the problem. They said I could get a new unit on warranty if it persists. The new battery behaved the same but is slowly getting better. Think it's worth a warranty? Not sure I wanna deal with setting everything back up. But then I guess I could always backup... [see what I did there ;-)]

Your battery level meter has to learn the battery bro, thats why its gettin better. Usin this app or a more advanced manual way that i cant remember will show it what 100% feels like if u know what i mean.
Mine was miscalibrated by 8% when i 1st got the phone....
...n i saw lol :beer:

P.s, once its at 100%, let it go another hour before u calibrate man

MERRY XMAS!!!X

meyerweb#CB

Banned
Sep 4, 2009
Visit site
How long are you charging the battery? This normally happens when you 'overcharge'

Which in my terms means your battery charged in 2 hours but you took it off the charger at 4 hours instead of taking it off immediately when it finished

That normally happens when this is the case and you get that 10-15% run off

You can't overcharge a battery this way. The battery controls the charge process, and tells the phone when to stop charging, even if the charger is plugged in.

You CAN, otoh, overcharge a battery by following nrm5110's suggestion, since it will take a few minutes for the battery to signal the phone to stop, each time you plug the charger back in. Overcharging will dramatically shorten the life span of a LI battery.

Apr 10, 2012
Visit site
You can't overcharge a battery this way. The battery controls the charge process, and tells the phone when to stop charging, even if the charger is plugged in.

You CAN, otoh, overcharge a battery by following nrm5110's suggestion, since it will take a few minutes for the battery to signal the phone to stop, each time you plug the charger back in. Overcharging will dramatically shorten the life span of a LI battery.

Just going off of my experience with the oem battery, when I had it in the charger for an extended period of time and took it off, I get a fast run off of about 10%+ or so

Even with my extended battery I get about a 5% quick run off before it settles in

Apr 10, 2012
Visit site
Btw, when I say run off I don't mean once I unplug it it immediately drops to a certain percentage. I mean it quickly gets to a certain percentage after a short period of time

funkylogik

May 21, 2012
Visit site
Chaos stop bein a nude or ill flick u on the tip full force bro :p :beer:

MERRY XMAS!!!X

vitale232

Dec 29, 2012
Visit site
Sounds like there's something up with this hardware. I tried the calibration app. It claims to have calibrated 4%. The minute I unplugged my phone it dropped down to 88%. I started following the plug in and unplug suggestion, but sounds like that could potentially toast my battery. Not sure what to do at this point. Root it and use one of those apps? Or should I just go ahead and warranty this little guy?

funkylogik

May 21, 2012
Visit site
Warranty while u can bro
Back up 1st ;)
Bad answer but id say its for the best bro

MERRY XMAS!!!X

vitale232

Dec 29, 2012
Visit site
Any backup apps that can grab the system settings too? Stuff like display dim after 15 sec and what not?

Thanks for your input. This here's a good forum.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Chelrie