Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree8Likes
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Thumbs down new to having the SG3 and its driving me crazy already

hi guys,having read through most google searches of various forums for hours last night,i am defeated in trying to connect my brand new S3 to my home PC,any ideas please?

Default Re: new to having the SG3 and its driving me crazy already

What exactly are you trying to accomplish?

Sent from my ASUS Transformer Pad TF300T using Android Central Forums
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

needing to connect it for pics/music ect,thought with the latest tech it should be no problem,but boy i was wrong

ROM
    Blazer 1.4 Rom

Is your pc set up to share media?

Tapatalked from the 3rd galaxy
    Thanked by:
    MADYIN 

I use Windows 7 and for some reason I have to actually look for my GS3 in the "My computer" and click on it to open it up and view the files on my internal and external storage. It won't just pop up sometimes to let me know it's connected like my other phones. Maybe it's connected but you just have to look for it. I would also include that you might want to use the original usb cord the phone came with. I'm able to drag and drop most things between my phone and pc. Are you running windows? I'm not familiar with Mac's so with that I cannot help

My GS3 sleeps in the bed and I make my girlfriend sleep on the couch
    Thanked by:
    MADYIN 
    DeathByReach likes this.

Global Posts
    716 Global Posts

First up, there is Samsung Kies(which will also install device drivers): Kies - Sync Media, Contacts & Calendars Across All Devices | Samsung

Now, there is the option for Kies over WiFi as well(on your S3, settings, more settings)

There is also Kies Air, and then you have AllShare Play.

All of these are options for how to get your computer to connect to your S3.

If you connect your phone to the computer via USB, you can also switch the USB PC Connection setting from Media Device(MTP) to Camera mode, which may also work for what you want to do.
    Thanked by:
    MADYIN 
    bevcraw likes this.
    BEACH BUM

ROM
    Stock : Rooted, Unlocked

Quote Originally Posted by MADYIN View Post
    hi guys,having read through most google searches of various forums for hours last night,i am defeated in trying to connect my brand new S3 to my home PC,any ideas please?
    Download and install the Samsung drivers from this link: Drivers
    Thanked by:
    MADYIN 
  8. Thread Author  Thread Author    #8  

yeah double checked that last night
  9. Thread Author  Thread Author    #9  

Quote Originally Posted by charlie hustle View Post
    Is your pc set up to share media?

Tapatalked from the 3rd galaxy
    yeah double checked that last night
  10. Thread Author  Thread Author    #10  

Quote Originally Posted by Targon View Post
    First up, there is Samsung Kies(which will also install device drivers): Kies - Sync Media, Contacts & Calendars Across All Devices | Samsung

Now, there is the option for Kies over WiFi as well(on your S3, settings, more settings)

There is also Kies Air, and then you have AllShare Play.

All of these are options for how to get your computer to connect to your S3.

If you connect your phone to the computer via USB, you can also switch the USB PC Connection setting from Media Device(MTP) to Camera mode, which may also work for what you want to do.
    doesn't work via usb lead and tried different leads too
    BEACH BUM

ROM

What operating system are you running on PC?
    Thanked by:
    MADYIN 
  12. Thread Author  Thread Author    #12  

Quote Originally Posted by makaroni View Post
    I use Windows 7 and for some reason I have to actually look for my GS3 in the "My computer" and click on it to open it up and view the files on my internal and external storage. It won't just pop up sometimes to let me know it's connected like my other phones. Maybe it's connected but you just have to look for it. I would also include that you might want to use the original usb cord the phone came with. I'm able to drag and drop most things between my phone and pc. Are you running windows? I'm not familiar with Mac's so with that I cannot help

My GS3 sleeps in the bed and I make my girlfriend sleep on the couch

running vista

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Ricky Babalu View Post
    What operating system are you running on PC?
    windows vista
  13. Thread Author  Thread Author    #13  

thanks for all the input so far guys,shame its the first time using such a nice phone and just going to need to sell it

Global Posts
    716 Global Posts

thanks for all the input so far guys,shame its the first time using such a nice phone and just going to need to sell it
    You can easily sync without using the main Kies software, I gave you the full list. Kies Air does the job if all you want is to transfer files to/from your phone.
  15. Thread Author  Thread Author    #15  

You can easily sync without using the main Kies software, I gave you the full list. Kies Air does the job if all you want is to transfer files to/from your phone.
    yeah that's the only way it working,but it seems a tad awkward using the kies air via WI-FI
    BEACH BUM

ROM

Did you reboot your PC, sometimes you need to do this for the drivers to be recognized.
  17. Thread Author  Thread Author    #17  

Did you reboot your PC, sometimes you need to do this for the drivers to be recognized.
    yeah ricky,its got me so worked up and only had the phone 2 days

Global Posts
    716 Global Posts

yeah ricky,its got me so worked up and only had the phone 2 days
    The big issue with Kies is really that the drivers don't work well with many USB chipsets. NVIDIA may make a good graphics chip, but their motherboard chipsets are pathetic when it comes to driver quality. In many cases, there are issues with some ports working properly with Kies and others not.

Kies does have the "diagnose connection problems" as something to try. You can also try plugging your phone in to the computer, then on the phone, go to the notification about "connected to USB" and then change to camera mode. Settings -> Developer Options and then turn on USB debugging can also help in some cases.

And then, make sure you are running from an administrator account. What version of Windows, or MacOS are you running on the computer?

- - - Updated - - -

Another thing to try, use Kies from a different computer when all else fails.

Global Posts
    2,100 Global Posts
    ROM
    TeamSonicFreeGS3 v9.1

Don't think anyone recommended this yet. Surprisingly

But. Try switching ports and try switching wires
    BEACH BUM

ROM

Uninstall Kies via control panel, then reinstall. After reinstalling check to see if Kies is up to date, if not update then restart computer, then plug phone and try again. Also, try connecting to a USB port on the back of CP rather than the one in the front.
  21. Thread Author  Thread Author    #21  

The big issue with Kies is really that the drivers don't work well with many USB chipsets. NVIDIA may make a good graphics chip, but their motherboard chipsets are pathetic when it comes to driver quality. In many cases, there are issues with some ports working properly with Kies and others not.

Kies does have the "diagnose connection problems" as something to try. You can also try plugging your phone in to the computer, then on the phone, go to the notification about "connected to USB" and then change to camera mode. Settings -> Developer Options and then turn on USB debugging can also help in some cases.

And then, make sure you are running from an administrator account. What version of Windows, or MacOS are you running on the computer?

- - - Updated - - -

Another thing to try, use Kies from a different computer when all else fails.
    ,thanks again,but tried that as well and i am using windows vista

- - - Updated - - -

Uninstall Kies via control panel, then reinstall. After reinstalling check to see if Kies is up to date, if not update then restart computer, then plug phone and try again. Also, try connecting to a USB port on the back of CP rather than the one in the front.
    lol lol tried all that too
    BEACH BUM

ROM

Ok, running out of ideas..................but I will keep trying. In vista check to see what version of "Windows Media Player" you have, it should be 11 or above in order for MTP to work. Also, check to see if you have a yellow exclamation next to any of the Samsung drivers in "Device Manager", if so uninstall them and then re-install drivers.

Global Posts
    880 Global Posts

What do you need to transfer?
    I use Sugarsync to sync to the cloud over WiFi and to sync that to my PC. That takes care of my photos and documents. 5GB free.

I also use FolderSync to back up / sync my entire SD card (i carry around a few LARGE videos) directly to a shared directory on my laptop over WiFi.
    The only wire I touch now is a charge cord.

My SIII will not reliably connect to the USB on my laptop either. The WiFi work around is actually working out better then USB anyway.
    Thanked by:
    MADYIN 

Contact Samsung Live Chat support on Samsung.com. They are 24/7 and should be able to help or you can also call them. Support is free there.

Sent from my AT&T Samsung S3
    Thanked by:
    MADYIN 

I am confused on why to even use Kies... At all? I don't have Kies installed on my windows 7 PC and I plug it in.. PC sees it as it would any thumb drive. I then browse it like a hard drive.. If I wanted pictures to be transferred i go into the folder and simply copy/cut then paste.

Am I missing something? Never understood why people troubleshoot it so hard when Kies has been known to cause mad mad issues.

Sent from my Sprint S3 using AC forums
    Sent from my T-Mobile Note 4 using AC Forums.
    Thanked by:
    MADYIN 
    Kelly Kearns and CaneToad like this.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast