Why did this device get so popular?

Persill

Dec 28, 2012
Visit site
First of all I think the S3 is awesome. i was just wondering how this one device become pretty much the flagship Android phone of the year? (Besides the Nexus 4)
I look back months ago when i was deciding to buy either the S3 or the HTC One X and was reading reviews on both which made them appear almost equivalent. Needless to say i ended up with the One X and feel like i got the short end of the stick. People never recognize my phone as anything special and i constantly wonder why the One X has been forgotten and is such an underdog while the S3 dominated in popularity? The One X is pretty great, but i think i should have just gotten the S3 at the time.
Could it be all the advertising? What made this phone so popular? Opinions? Sound off here ! Let me know what you think !

(P.S I just bought the Note II)

Paul627g

AC Moderator All-Star
Nov 25, 2010
Visit site
Advertising. Samsung sunk so much money into advertising it was impossible for anyone else to compete. Official phone of the Olympics was a big help too...

Don't get me wrong, Samsung makes a nice product. I'm a former Galaxy S Epic 4g owner and proud owner of NS4G & GNex. All Samsung products.

Ricky Babalu

BEACH BUM
Aug 30, 2010
Visit site
Aside from the fact that it is a good device, marketing for this phone has been off the charts. I have not seen a phone marketed like this with major corporate sponsorship, key product tie ins, numerous celebrity endorsements, and product placement (shark tank), since the Iphone.

Tkbredx

Apr 8, 2012
Visit site
Good specs, amazing advertising, probably the first phone to truly show of NFC capabilities which is really interesting to people, commercials are hilarious, pricing/deals as always for many android devices are amazing where as iphone doesn't really get holiday deals and stuff.

Samsung just stepped it up. And people know a good phone when they see it. Outstanding job by Samsung

ansextra

Apr 16, 2011
Visit site
They also got essentially the same phone on virtually EVERY carrier. Yes the European models have different specs than the US models but for the MOST part it's the same phone everywhere (just like the iPhone). All S3's look exactly alike so they're everywhere! Yes, there are carrier differences in the US that I'd love to see disappear but in my opinion they're minor differences and not really a factor.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
Also the galaxy series has always been a good series for samsung.. So that helps as well.

Sent from my Sprint S3 using AC forums

GrooveRite

Sep 30, 2010
Visit site
I picked up the first Galaxy S phone WWAAAYYYYY BAACCKK in 2010 called the Samsung Galaxy S Epic 4G on Sprint! Was my first intro to the smartphone world and haven't looked back or away from Sammy. Almost picked up the Evo 4G but thank goodness they were sold out and couldn't get my hands on it! When I saw the screen of the Epic 4G, I immediately changed my order from the Evo 4G that was on hold at BB.

worwig

Dec 29, 2010
Visit site
Strong advertising.

In general, the great unwashed masses don't know the difference between an iPhone and an Android device. But Samsung has been hitting the airwaves with enough ads to help people distinguish them. HTC, not so much.

I would have rather had a One X, but the mediocre battery life and no sd card slot made me turn away.

But it worked out because the SIII is a great phone. It just works, and in fact, is a touch boring because if that.

zapfrog

Nov 3, 2012
Visit site
Like others have said it's marketing. Sammy's ads have stuck out for me even before I got the s3. The next big thing ads mocking apple, the nfc commercial where the wife puts a supposedly dirty video on the husbands phone and the Note2 commercial with the NBA player and his family showcasing the N2's capabilities.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Android Central Forums

ZachA

Sep 6, 2012
Visit site
Samsung is really good at marketing. The other Android phone manufacturers need to follow there lead.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Android Central Forums

Persill

Dec 28, 2012
Visit site
Strong advertising.

In general, the great unwashed masses don't know the difference between an iPhone and an Android device. But Samsung has been hitting the airwaves with enough ads to help people distinguish them. HTC, not so much.

I would have rather had a One X, but the mediocre battery life and no sd card slot made me turn away.

But it worked out because the SIII is a great phone. It just works, and in fact, is a touch boring because if that.

Agreed, i got screwed for the memory. The ATT One X is limited to 16GB.
Overall though, yeah the Ads really stuck out and were all a step up from everyone else's.

darkoman4

Nov 8, 2012
Visit site
I also got HOX because I always act rebelish for no aperent reason. They started with the same price and now you can buy HOX for 150 dollars less. Enough said.

bevcraw

Net Mod Emeritus
Dec 8, 2010
Visit site
I considered both the One X and the S3 when I bought in August. For me, it was the practical consideration of having microSD card access that swayed me to buy the S3. The removable battery also helped. I think that these features may have convinced others to buy the S3, too.

Quis89

Q&A Team
Oct 15, 2009
Visit site
Advertising and marketing. I enjoy the phone but it's really not that much better than HTCs offerings. The incredible advertising by Samsung just led you to believe so. Sure a removable battery is cool... But that never deterred apple buyers. The phone was everywhere. Samsung made a huge push for this device and it was easier because it was essentially the same phone on all carriers. Which is a large advantage as well.

ansextra

Apr 16, 2011
Visit site
Advertising and marketing. I enjoy the phone but it's really not that much better than HTCs offerings. The incredible advertising by Samsung just led you to believe so. Sure a removable battery is cool... But that never deterred apple buyers. The phone was everywhere. Samsung made a huge push for this device and it was easier because it was essentially the same phone on all carriers. Which is a large advantage as well.
The fact that a removable battery did not deter Apple buyers is not a positive from my perspective. Apple buyers are very happy with a substandard phone with less functionality. I've been in many situations where my spare battery has needed to be used and iPhone users around me were SOL.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rockpaperreality36