Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast
Results 126 to 150 of 169
Like Tree73Likes
  1. #126  
    Serial Fordicator's Avatar

    Posts
    445 Posts
    ROM
    das bamf 3.0 rc4

    Default Re: Why did this device get so popular?

    Quote Originally Posted by Ry View Post
    The "lol" at the end was there for a reason.
    Yes, it sounded like you were laughing at someone for thinking someone might have bought the phone for those attributes-thats the way I interpreted it anyway.

    Sent from my SCH-I535 using Android Central Forums
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
  2. #127  

    Default Re: Why did this device get so popular?

    Quote Originally Posted by Serial Fordicator View Post
    Yes, it sounded like you were laughing at someone for thinking someone might have bought the phone for those attributes-thats the way I interpreted it anyway.

    Sent from my SCH-I535 using Android Central Forums
    I could be wrong because Ry and I have disagreed many times in the past, but I think his point is that no one bought the phone only for those reasons. And I think it's safe to say you didn't either. It might have influenced decisions to buy, but there are many other aspects that would have affected the popularity other than these. Pretty sure if it only had 64GB internal and NO SD slot, many people would have still purchased it.
    Thanked by:
    Ry 
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #128  

    Default Re: Why did this device get so popular?

    Yeah the ads did a good job of making people realize that there is such thing as an alternative to the iPhone !
    On a side note, it may be wrong but i am very much enjoying these battery and expandable memory arguments..
    LegalAmerican likes this.
  4. #129  
    Ricky Babalu's Avatar
    BEACH BUM

    Posts
    1,948 Posts
    Global Posts
    1,947 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock : Rooted, Unlocked

    Default Re: Why did this device get so popular?

    Quote Originally Posted by Persill View Post
    Yeah the ads did a good job of making people realize that there is such thing as an alternative to the iPhone !
    On a side note, it may be wrong but i am very much enjoying these battery and expandable memory arguments..
    Yeah, I enjoy reading the point, counter point as well. It's all in good fun as long as their is no name calling, attacks, or mudslinging......................Wait a second I am not a moderator...........carry on.
    Johnly and LegalAmerican like this.
  5. #130  
    zwj1234's Avatar

    Posts
    328 Posts
    Global Posts
    332 Global Posts

    Default Re: Why did this device get so popular?

    The phone have powerful specs and a series of new features that any phone doesn't own. And with amazing advertising, especially the advertising during the Olympics games, all of the factors make the phone so popular.
  6. #131  
    Serial Fordicator's Avatar

    Posts
    445 Posts
    ROM
    das bamf 3.0 rc4

    Default Re: Why did this device get so popular?

    Quote Originally Posted by LegalAmerican View Post
    I could be wrong because Ry and I have disagreed many times in the past, but I think his point is that no one bought the phone only for those reasons. And I think it's safe to say you didn't either. It might have influenced decisions to buy, but there are many other aspects that would have affected the popularity other than these. Pretty sure if it only had 64GB internal and NO SD slot, many people would have still purchased it.
    How do you know why I bought it? That's like me arguing with you over what color your house is when I've never seen it.

    Sent from my SCH-I535 using Android Central Forums
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
  7. #132  
    sledge007's Avatar

    Posts
    540 Posts
    Global Posts
    6,876 Global Posts
    ROM
    Wicked Sensations

    Default Re: Why did this device get so popular?



    HTC themselves blame not enough marketing.
    Ry likes this.
  8. #133  

    Default Re: Why did this device get so popular?

    Quote Originally Posted by Serial Fordicator View Post
    How do you know why I bought it? That's like me arguing with you over what color your house is when I've never seen it.

    Sent from my SCH-I535 using Android Central Forums
    Because if the only two reasons you bought the phone was because of the SD slot and removeable battery, your brain would have exploded because there are 50 other options out there that meet the same rigorous criteria. I see your point that no one can REALLY say why someone did or did not buy something, but be real. I know you're trying to make a point, but lets be real here. It's pointless to even converse if you are seriously going to say the ONLY reasons you bought the S3 was for those 2 reasons. There's too many amazing features aside from those.

    And if you want to go with the house analogy, that would be like me saying I only bought my house cause it had a roof and a door. Come on man. Let's keep the conversation interesting without being ridiculous.
    Ry likes this.
  9. #134  
    SenseMonkey's Avatar

    Posts
    1,797 Posts
    ROM
    Stock

    Default Re: Why did this device get so popular?

    Back to the topic, advertisement really made it huge. Whatever the reason, it's really noticed by the isheep here. :thumbup:

    Sent from my Behemoth of a phone, the Galaxy Note 2
  10. #135  

    Default Re: Why did this device get so popular?

    First smartphone DROID incredible HTC, second was DROID 3 by moto, now I'm on the s3. I love this phone Samsung makes a great product that's for sure. Never buying anything from Motorola ever again. Maybe it was just my personal experience but the DROID 3 didn't receive any support at all. The fact that Samsung seems to support phones with updates and not forget about their customers. Idk

    Sent from my SCH-I535 using Android Central Forums
  11. #136  
    Serial Fordicator's Avatar

    Posts
    445 Posts
    ROM
    das bamf 3.0 rc4

    Default Re: Why did this device get so popular?

    That is the two different reasons that set it apart from its competition. I mean damn, yes its a phone that's a reason,it has a screen

    Sent from my SCH-I535 using Android Central Forums
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
  12. #137  

    Default Re: Why did this device get so popular?

    Quote Originally Posted by Serial Fordicator View Post
    That is the two different reasons that set it apart from its competition. I mean damn, yes its a phone that's a reason,it has a screen
    Don't bother, it's not getting through.

    Some people don't want to remember history. The reality is that for a lot of us, waiting for the "next generation" to come out, the HOX and the GSIII were the only two contenders in the race (4.5"+ plus, LTE, S4 soc.) The GSIII had a removeable battery and an mSD slot but the HOX didn't. That *was* the deciding factor for a number of people. Yet, now as then some people won't accept this.

    -Suntan
    Thanked by:
    Serial Fordicator likes this.
  13. #138  
    Ry
    Ry is offline
    Ry's Avatar

    Posts
    7,199 Posts
    Global Posts
    7,206 Global Posts

    Default Re: Why did this device get so popular?

    Quote Originally Posted by SenseMonkey View Post
    Back to the topic, advertisement really made it huge. Whatever the reason, it's really noticed by the isheep here. :thumbup:

    Sent from my Behemoth of a phone, the Galaxy Note 2
    iSheep? Well now they're Samsheep.
    a.k.a. RyZR from HoFo
    Motorola Moto X (164.55.2.ghost_verizon.Verizon.en.US, KitKat 4.4.2)
    Motorola Moto G (173.44.20.falcon_cdma.Verizon.en.US, KitKat 4.4.2)
    Motorola DROID Bionic (98.72.22.XT865.Verizon.en.US, Jelly Bean 4.1.2)
    Google Nexus 7 2012 (KOT49H, KitKat 4.4.2)
    What other devices have I had? Here's my phone timeline.
    Support your favorite Android app and game developers. Pay for apps! And don't block ads!

    Community Rules & Guidelines - Mobile Nations Forums
  14. #139  
    SenseMonkey's Avatar

    Posts
    1,797 Posts
    ROM
    Stock

    Default Re: Why did this device get so popular?

    Quote Originally Posted by Ry View Post
    iSheep? Well now they're Samsheep.
    The Shepherd is apple lol. And im not a Samsheep, I still prefer HTC over Samsung but Samsung got things right with their note 2 And Gs3, both are awesome.

    Sent from my Behemoth of a phone, the Galaxy Note 2
    LegalAmerican likes this.
  15. #140  

    Default Re: Why did this device get so popular?

    Samsung, since the Galaxy S Fascinate, has been amping up and hit its peak with the SIII. I can't say the SIII doesn't deserve the attention, as it's a great phone, but Samsung's marketing was brilliant. HTC just can't compete with that kind of advertising. If LG can continue to get there story straight then they might be able to get back into the game.

    Sent from my HTC One S using Android Central Forums
  16. #141  
    Ry
    Ry is offline
    Ry's Avatar

    Posts
    7,199 Posts
    Global Posts
    7,206 Global Posts

    Default Re: Why did this device get so popular?

    Quote Originally Posted by avenuePad View Post
    Samsung, since the Galaxy S Fascinate, has been amping up and hit its peak with the SIII. I can't say the SIII doesn't deserve the attention, as it's a great phone, but Samsung's marketing was brilliant. HTC just can't compete with that kind of advertising. If LG can continue to get there story straight then they might be able to get back into the game.

    Sent from my HTC One S using Android Central Forums
    I'm glad the higher ups at HTC even admit that their marketing efforts sucked.
    a.k.a. RyZR from HoFo
    Motorola Moto X (164.55.2.ghost_verizon.Verizon.en.US, KitKat 4.4.2)
    Motorola Moto G (173.44.20.falcon_cdma.Verizon.en.US, KitKat 4.4.2)
    Motorola DROID Bionic (98.72.22.XT865.Verizon.en.US, Jelly Bean 4.1.2)
    Google Nexus 7 2012 (KOT49H, KitKat 4.4.2)
    What other devices have I had? Here's my phone timeline.
    Support your favorite Android app and game developers. Pay for apps! And don't block ads!

    Community Rules & Guidelines - Mobile Nations Forums
  17. #142  

    Default Re: Why did this device get so popular?

    Quote Originally Posted by Suntan View Post
    Don't bother, it's not getting through.

    Some people don't want to remember history. The reality is that for a lot of us, waiting for the "next generation" to come out, the HOX and the GSIII were the only two contenders in the race (4.5"+ plus, LTE, S4 soc.) The GSIII had a removeable battery and an mSD slot but the HOX didn't. That *was* the deciding factor for a number of people. Yet, now as then some people won't accept this.

    -Suntan
    yeah. Considering I OWN the Gs3. You clearly have me pegged! And I will definitely believe that you randomly chose to spend $200+ for a S3 simply because it was a phone, has a screen, and an sd slot with removeable battery. Since other $50 options don't have any of those.

    And i'm unsure what you mean by "don't bother". You suddenly are changing the debate to SD card slots or not. I was debating on removeable battery. I see how you're gonna go at this though. It's pointless to debate a topic when one party continuously changes the subject and pretends it was the original aspect. In 3 pages you'll suddenly be saying we were arguing about which airliner is best or who knows what else you'll come up with. I love sharing my opinions and hearing yours when we disagree, but it gets pointless when you change the foundation of the subject matter.
  18. #143  
    Serial Fordicator's Avatar

    Posts
    445 Posts
    ROM
    das bamf 3.0 rc4

    Default Re: Why did this device get so popular?

    Quote Originally Posted by LegalAmerican View Post
    yeah. Considering I OWN the Gs3. You clearly have me pegged! And I will definitely believe that you randomly chose to spend $200+ for a S3 simply because it was a phone, has a screen, and an sd slot with removeable battery. Since other $50 options don't have any of those.

    And i'm unsure what you mean by "don't bother". You suddenly are changing the debate to SD card slots or not. I was debating on removeable battery. I see how you're gonna go at this though. It's pointless to debate a topic when one party continuously changes the subject and pretends it was the original aspect. In 3 pages you'll suddenly be saying we were arguing about which airliner is best or who knows what else you'll come up with. I love sharing my opinions and hearing yours when we disagree, but it gets pointless when you change the foundation of the subject matter.
    I didn't add etc. To my last post. What I meant was there are tons of things I liked about it but the SD card and battery is what set it apart from other choices FOR ME.

    Sent from my SCH-I535 using Android Central Forums
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
  19. #144  

    Default Re: Why did this device get so popular?

    Really there's nothing to argue about because we all love the GS3 here. SD slot is a huge deal to me, because there's no accessories to help with that like there is with a removeable battery.

    AND, I agree with what was said by someone earlier where they believe the S2 played a big role in making the S3 more popluar. I imagine the HOX+ was better known because of the HOX, and if they market better, it will continue to have a snowball effect for HTC moving forward. I know a few people who have already said it will take a lot for them to ever leave the Samsung Galaxy S line of devices because they have loved them. It's a brand that is creating a following because they are traditionally top of the line and very well supported in the Dev community.
  20. #145  
    SenseMonkey's Avatar

    Posts
    1,797 Posts
    ROM
    Stock

    Default Re: Why did this device get so popular?

    Quote Originally Posted by LegalAmerican View Post
    Really there's nothing to argue about because we all love the GS3 here. SD slot is a huge deal to me, because there's no accessories to help with that like there is with a removeable battery.

    AND, I agree with what was said by someone earlier where they believe the S2 played a big role in making the S3 more popluar. I imagine the HOX+ was better known because of the HOX, and if they market better, it will continue to have a snowball effect for HTC moving forward. I know a few people who have already said it will take a lot for them to ever leave the Samsung Galaxy S line of devices because they have loved them. It's a brand that is creating a following because they are traditionally top of the line and very well supported in the Dev community.
    The htc one x+ is a very capable device. Would of been perfect if it's display was 5inchs or plus. I had it but the size of the note 2 made me switch.

    Sent from my Behemoth of a phone, the Galaxy Note 2
  21. #146  
    sledge007's Avatar

    Posts
    540 Posts
    Global Posts
    6,876 Global Posts
    ROM
    Wicked Sensations

    Default Re: Why did this device get so popular?

    No mention of Touchstone charging in this thread.....until now!!!! I will admit I don't use mine a whole lot, as I have an Otterbox Defender case which isn't removed very often, but I do have 4 or 5 Touchstones kicking around and the modded back. True, it isn't what made it get so popular, but it's kinda cool to use some outside technology with it.
    Due to the cancellation of the penny, I no longer give 2 about anything. I may however, give a nickel
    bevcraw likes this.
  22. #147  

    Default Re: Why did this device get so popular?

    Quote Originally Posted by LegalAmerican View Post
    You suddenly are changing the debate to SD card slots or not.
    ???

    What are you talking about?

    Who were the two that said:

    Because if the only two reasons you bought the phone was because of the SD slot and removeable battery, your brain would have exploded because there are 50 other options out there that meet the same rigorous criteria.
    and

    No consumers ran out and bought S3s because it has expandable memory and a removable battery.
    Those are the comments that touched off this part of the discussion.

    You're just looking for an argument. No, nobody has the batt and the sd slot as "the only two reasons" and nobody said as much.

    Serial said they were important and what set it apart for him. You can take him at his word or you can continue to prance around the semantics of the word "only."

    My comments were exactly as they are written. I didn't say *I* but I did say a number of people. Because that's what it was. Back when the two phones first came out, there was a lot of posturing and whinging by the people on both sides. A lot of people downplaying and belittling the notion that an SD card and a removable battery could tip the decision between the two. Yet then as now, a lot of people commented that SD and batt were important to them. Take it how you will, but at the time the HOX and the GSIII were the only contenders for people looking for a new flagship phone and the sd and removable batt were important for a lot of people, deal breakers for some.

    Now in case you continue to have any confusion on where *I* stand on the merits of the devices, read the original post I posted in this thread. I haven't claimed anything differently about myself in any other post.

    -Suntan
  23. #148  

    Default Re: Why did this device get so popular?

    Quote Originally Posted by sledge007 View Post
    No mention of Touchstone charging in this thread.....until now!!!!
    I have to admit, one of my touchstone pucks is currently resting on top of the mUSB cord on my dresser to keep the plug from dropping onto the floor when the phone is unplugged. I'd always had thoughts of modding to work with them, but never got around to it.

    Those touchstones are still badass even today. The wireless charger solutions available on the market now look clunky and Busch League in comparison.

    -Suntan
  24. #149  

    Default Re: Why did this device get so popular?

    Quote Originally Posted by Suntan View Post
    ???

    What are you talking about?

    Who were the two that said:



    and



    Those are the comments that touched off this part of the discussion.

    You're just looking for an argument. No, nobody has the batt and the sd slot as "the only two reasons" and nobody said as much.

    Serial said they were important and what set it apart for him. You can take him at his word or you can continue to prance around the semantics of the word "only."

    My comments were exactly as they are written. I didn't say *I* but I did say a number of people. Because that's what it was. Back when the two phones first came out, there was a lot of posturing and whinging by the people on both sides. A lot of people downplaying and belittling the notion that an SD card and a removable battery could tip the decision between the two. Yet then as now, a lot of people commented that SD and batt were important to them. Take it how you will, but at the time the HOX and the GSIII were the only contenders for people looking for a new flagship phone and the sd and removable batt were important for a lot of people, deal breakers for some.

    Now in case you continue to have any confusion on where *I* stand on the merits of the devices, read the original post I posted in this thread. I haven't claimed anything differently about myself in any other post.

    -Suntan
    I didn't say YOU brought the SD slot up. I said you tried to change the argument from what the advantages and disadvantages of removable batteries were, to the advantages and disadvantages of an SD slot. But obviously an SD slot will always be an advantage. Talking to Serial about reasons to buy the device, and talking to Sunburn about removable batteries are two completely different conversations. It's fine with me if we consolidate the two, but not if you can't keep the details of the original debate straight.
    Thanked by 2:
    Ry 
    Ry likes this.
  25. #150  

    Default Re: Why did this device get so popular?

    Specs and price is what sold me. Also, it's a beautiful phone, great camera, and the screen just rocks. Ease of rooting and modifying was also a sweet selling point.

    For my wife's S3 she liked all the available accessories. Only thing in her eyes the iphone has going for it compared to android.

    Sent from my SCH-I535 using Android Central Forums
Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. why is this phone not so popular?
    By tcrider84 in forum Optimus Elite Rooting, ROMs, and Hacks
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 07-14-2012, 06:52 PM
  2. This device is so lame it can' t even get it"s own thread!!
    By _Severability_ in forum Rumored Devices Lounge
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 06-02-2012, 11:44 PM
  3. Why did this happen? (Not enough memory)
    By ZenkiS14 in forum Sprint Galaxy S II Epic 4G Touch
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 11-09-2011, 04:52 PM
  4. Why is this phone getting so much buzz?
    By kemetblk in forum Sprint Galaxy S II Epic 4G Touch
    Replies: 15
    Last Post: 09-16-2011, 05:09 PM
  5. Why does this phone have so many problems?
    By bigk in forum Verizon Droid Incredible
    Replies: 36
    Last Post: 05-27-2010, 01:10 AM

Posting Permissions

B