Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567
Results 151 to 169 of 169
Like Tree73Likes
  1. #151  
    piizzadude's Avatar
    Banned

    Posts
    5,768 Posts
    Global Posts
    5,774 Global Posts
    ROM
    Something JB

    Default Re: Why did this device get so popular?

    Quote Originally Posted by LegalAmerican View Post
    I didn't say YOU brought the SD slot up. I said you tried to change the argument from what the advantages and disadvantages of removable batteries were, to the advantages and disadvantages of an SD slot. But obviously an SD slot will always be an advantage. Talking to Serial about reasons to buy the device, and talking to Sunburn about removable batteries are two completely different conversations. It's fine with me if we consolidate the two, but not if you can't keep the details of the original debate straight.
    I have not paid any attention to this thread but I wanted to give LegalAmerican a like and thanks for the front page comment he made. Looks like my kinda thread though....
  2. #152  
    Tkbredx's Avatar

    Posts
    1,857 Posts
    Global Posts
    1,858 Global Posts
    ROM
    TeamSonicFreeGS3 v9.1

    Default Re: Why did this device get so popular?

    Quote Originally Posted by Ry View Post
    And that's exactly what you should do.
    Congrats on winning one of the AC contests dude. If you didnt know. You know now lol
    Ry likes this.
  3. #153  
    NotJustAPhone's Avatar

    Posts
    11,475 Posts
    Global Posts
    11,780 Global Posts
    ROM
    GS3: CleanROM / N4: AOKP

    Default Re: Why did this device get so popular?

    This is one of my favorite threads.

    Sent from my Nexus 4
  4. #154  

    Default Re: Why did this device get so popular?

    Quote Originally Posted by piizzadude View Post
    I have not paid any attention to this thread but I wanted to give LegalAmerican a like and thanks for the front page comment he made. Looks like my kinda thread though....
    Please join us. It's about run it's course but the tenderized horse carcass could withstand a few more beatings. Also, love the terrible "Dandroids" avatar.
  5. #155  
    piizzadude's Avatar
    Banned

    Posts
    5,768 Posts
    Global Posts
    5,774 Global Posts
    ROM
    Something JB

    Default Re: Why did this device get so popular?

    So what are we fighting about?

    Sent from the nexus of the Android world, the SGS3.
  6. #156  
    n8ter#AC's Avatar
    Banned

    Posts
    963 Posts
    Global Posts
    4,390 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock (4.3)

    Default Re: Why did this device get so popular?

    I used my vibrant for 18 months. The HD7 for 12. And ipod touch for 12 all very heavily and never needed a replacement battery.

    There are rapid wall chargers. My phone can plug into a laptop. And those bump chargers should be used intelligently, not when your phone is at 30%.

    If I'm at my desk I charge. In the car I charge. I don't install a bunch of crap on my phone.

    I've never needed an extended battery or spare even when I was traveling for 12 hours across three airports through LTE markers with no Wifi using it above moderately.

    Embedded batteries are only a deal breaker if the battery is under speced. HTC under speced the One X battery life sorry, even the $99 at launch Xperia ion launched with a 1900 mah battery. 1735 is too small for a modern smartphone. 1900 is fairly average and 2100+ is optimal.

    IPhone users never cared because the iPhone lasts as long as a GS3 with < 1500 mah in the battery. If they had a 2100 mah battery the thing would be giving the razr maxx a run for its money.

    Put things into perspective.

    GS3 won cause they have brand recognition. HTC fragments its brand/flagship into forgetfulness. I can't expect anyone to know what a Droid DNA or One X is, but everyone know what an iPhone or GS3 is, cause those companies are intelligent about their branding and device launches.

    Even LG seems more intelligent about this than HTC, and Motorola has the same issue as well. How many Razrs and Atrices do we have now?

    Btw, the original GS was one of the buggiest POS flagship devices in history so HTC has themselves to blame for losing out. They were too obsessed with sense software that didn't need any attention with the way TW3 was performing. I instead they needed a stable branding and less redundant devices across the carriers (with differing naming and build).

    Also, up until the Vivid/Rezound HTC camera phones were only marginally better than Motorola. Terrible compression, white balance, exposure compensation, low light performance, etc.

    I know a few people who got Samsung GS2/3s because they didn't want to get burned by HTC with the cameras AGAIN (many people in this sport are using phones and tablets for video recording since they're so accessible). I know the video out of the Vivid and Rezound had such bad sound recording that you had to turn it off at times, which certainly turned off some friends of mine leading into the One X launch.

    Also, HTC had embargo issues in the USA with the One Series, which most in this thread seem to have forgotten.

    Sent from my AT&T Skyrocket using Tapatalk 2.
    Last edited by n8ter#AC; 01-08-2013 at 02:14 AM.
  7. #157  
    Quis89's Avatar

    Posts
    571 Posts
    Global Posts
    737 Global Posts

    Default Re: Why did this device get so popular?

    Quote Originally Posted by ansextra View Post
    The fact that a removable battery did not deter Apple buyers is not a positive from my perspective. Apple buyers are very happy with a substandard phone with less functionality. I've been in many situations where my spare battery has needed to be used and iPhone users around me were SOL.
    I would hardly call the iPhone "substandard". Without the iPhone there would be no galaxy s3 as we know it. And the non removable battery isn't an issue when you can purchase items such as the mophie juicepack. For similar pricing to your battery. No need to pull out and replace the battery. Just flip a switch. Much more convenient.

    No bias. I just own an s3, evo lte and a 4s. All awesome devices with their own individual advantages.

    Sent from my SPH-L900 using Android Central Forums
  8. #158  

    Default Re: Why did this device get so popular?

    Quote Originally Posted by Quis View Post
    I would hardly call the iPhone "substandard". Without the iPhone there would be no galaxy s3 as we know it. And the non removable battery isn't an issue when you can purchase items such as the mophie juicepack. For similar pricing to your battery. No need to pull out and replace the battery. Just flip a switch. Much more convenient.
    Actually, I can get spare batteries for about $10 each, or less. And they're a lot less bulky than a Morphie. I consider carrying the added bulk of a Morphie around all the time to be far less convenient than carrying a slim spare battery for those occasions when I need one.
    PLEASE, when asking for help provide as much information as possible. We can't help unless we know what the symptoms are and what you did before they began.

    If I've helped you, please click the "Thanks" button.

    Have a Galaxy S3? Click here ==> Everything you wanted to know about your Galaxy S3
  9. #159  

    Default Re: Why did this device get so popular?

    Quote Originally Posted by Quis View Post
    I would hardly call the iPhone "substandard". Without the iPhone there would be no galaxy s3 as we know it. And the non removable battery isn't an issue when you can purchase items such as the mophie juicepack. For similar pricing to your battery. No need to pull out and replace the battery. Just flip a switch. Much more convenient.

    No bias. I just own an s3, evo lte and a 4s. All awesome devices with their own individual advantages.

    Sent from my SPH-L900 using Android Central Forums
    Clearly there is bias.

    Not from you though
  10. #160  

    Default Re: Why did this device get so popular?

    Quote Originally Posted by n8ter#AC View Post
    I used my vibrant for 18 months. The HD7 for 12. And ipod touch for 12 all very heavily and never needed a replacement battery.

    There are rapid wall chargers. My phone can plug into a laptop. And those bump chargers should be used intelligently, not when your phone is at 30%.

    If I'm at my desk I charge. In the car I charge. I don't install a bunch of crap on my phone.

    I've never needed an extended battery or spare even when I was traveling for 12 hours across three airports through LTE markers with no Wifi using it above moderately.

    Embedded batteries are only a deal breaker if the battery is under speced. HTC under speced the One X battery life sorry, even the $99 at launch Xperia ion launched with a 1900 mah battery. 1735 is too small for a modern smartphone. 1900 is fairly average and 2100+ is optimal.

    IPhone users never cared because the iPhone lasts as long as a GS3 with < 1500 mah in the battery. If they had a 2100 mah battery the thing would be giving the razr maxx a run for its money.

    Put things into perspective.

    GS3 won cause they have brand recognition. HTC fragments its brand/flagship into forgetfulness. I can't expect anyone to know what a Droid DNA or One X is, but everyone know what an iPhone or GS3 is, cause those companies are intelligent about their branding and device launches.

    Even LG seems more intelligent about this than HTC, and Motorola has the same issue as well. How many Razrs and Atrices do we have now?

    Btw, the original GS was one of the buggiest POS flagship devices in history so HTC has themselves to blame for losing out. They were too obsessed with sense software that didn't need any attention with the way TW3 was performing. I instead they needed a stable branding and less redundant devices across the carriers (with differing naming and build).

    Also, up until the Vivid/Rezound HTC camera phones were only marginally better than Motorola. Terrible compression, white balance, exposure compensation, low light performance, etc.

    I know a few people who got Samsung GS2/3s because they didn't want to get burned by HTC with the cameras AGAIN (many people in this sport are using phones and tablets for video recording since they're so accessible). I know the video out of the Vivid and Rezound had such bad sound recording that you had to turn it off at times, which certainly turned off some friends of mine leading into the One X launch.

    Also, HTC had embargo issues in the USA with the One Series, which most in this thread seem to have forgotten.

    Sent from my AT&T Skyrocket using Tapatalk 2.
    Cannot argue with that

    And this is from someone who has had 5 HTC phones in succession stretching back to Windows Mobile. Now currently have a Note 2 and EVO 3D.

    HTC have made some mistakes for sure, which is a shame given the superiour build quality in comparision to the plasticky Samsung devices.
  11. #161  

    Default Re: Why did this device get so popular?

    Quote Originally Posted by Quis View Post
    I would hardly call the iPhone "substandard". Without the iPhone there would be no galaxy s3 as we know it. And the non removable battery isn't an issue when you can purchase items such as the mophie juicepack. For similar pricing to your battery. No need to pull out and replace the battery. Just flip a switch. Much more convenient.

    No bias. I just own an s3, evo lte and a 4s. All awesome devices with their own individual advantages.

    Sent from my SPH-L900 using Android Central Forums
    The fact that the iPhone was a precursor to the Galaxy S3 does not mean that it is not substandard compared to Android. Regarding a Mophie juicepack maybe I'm different than you but I keep my phone in my pocket and don't want any additional unnecessary bulk added to it. A battery does not add additional bulk but the Mophie does. I use an extremely thin case on my S3 for this reason.
    Yes the iPhone is an awesome device but I still say it's substandard.
  12. #162  

    Default Re: Why did this device get so popular?

    Quote Originally Posted by ansextra View Post
    The fact that the iPhone was a precursor to the Galaxy S3 does not mean that it is not substandard compared to Android. Regarding a Mophie juicepack maybe I'm different than you but I keep my phone in my pocket and don't want any additional unnecessary bulk added to it. A battery does not add additional bulk but the Mophie does. I use an extremely thin case on my S3 for this reason.
    Yes the iPhone is an awesome device but I still say it's substandard.
    Most of the world don't care about customising or tweaking though. So they'll find iOS smoother with better quality apps and better games. And they'll probably see the slowdowns and lag issues on android as substandard.

    You really can't say anything is substandard. iOS serves a different purpose than Android.
  13. #163  

    Default Re: Why did this device get so popular?

    Marketing. Another big reason is one device for all carriers. By this I mean kind of like the iPhone. Same look, nearly same hardware internals. Previously the S2 had so many revisions/names/hardware. The UI changed significantly also.

    Sent from my SGH-T999 using Android Central Forums
  14. #164  
    Quis89's Avatar

    Posts
    571 Posts
    Global Posts
    737 Global Posts

    Default Re: Why did this device get so popular?

    Quote Originally Posted by meyerweb View Post
    Actually, I can get spare batteries for about $10 each, or less. And they're a lot less bulky than a Morphie. I consider carrying the added bulk of a Morphie around all the time to be far less convenient than carrying a slim spare battery for those occasions when I need one.
    You must not use a case?

    Sent from my SPH-L900 using Android Central Forums
  15. #165  
    Quis89's Avatar

    Posts
    571 Posts
    Global Posts
    737 Global Posts

    Default Re: Why did this device get so popular?

    Quote Originally Posted by ansextra View Post
    The fact that the iPhone was a precursor to the Galaxy S3 does not mean that it is not substandard compared to Android. Regarding a Mophie juicepack maybe I'm different than you but I keep my phone in my pocket and don't want any additional unnecessary bulk added to it. A battery does not add additional bulk but the Mophie does. I use an extremely thin case on my S3 for this reason.
    Yes the iPhone is an awesome device but I still say it's substandard.
    I keep my phone in my pocket as well. But I wear pants that aren't tight so cases don't really bother me. Not to mention I've been using a note 2 lately so once you've carried that around everything else feels small lol. I'd never put a mophie on this if one existed but the mophie on my 4s wasn't an issue at all.

    We all have our own definitions on convenient obviously.

    Sent from my SPH-L900 using Android Central Forums
  16. #166  
    nyry's Avatar

    Posts
    340 Posts
    Global Posts
    409 Global Posts
    ROM
    stock rooted

    Default Re: Why did this device get so popular?

    Quote Originally Posted by Persill View Post
    First of all I think the S3 is awesome. i was just wondering how this one device become pretty much the flagship Android phone of the year? (Besides the Nexus 4)
    I look back months ago when i was deciding to buy either the S3 or the HTC One X and was reading reviews on both which made them appear almost equivalent. Needless to say i ended up with the One X and feel like i got the short end of the stick. People never recognize my phone as anything special and i constantly wonder why the One X has been forgotten and is such an underdog while the S3 dominated in popularity? The One X is pretty great, but i think i should have just gotten the S3 at the time.
    Could it be all the advertising? What made this phone so popular? Opinions? Sound off here ! Let me know what you think !

    (P.S I just bought the Note II)
    Marketing marketing marketing. Samsung spends 12 BILLION dollars into marketing products annually, which not only blows the marketing budget of any of their competitors out if the water, but that is even more than the R&D budget of Microsoft, Apple, and Google combined!

    From a business standpoint it makes total sense; think about it.. even if you have an amazing product that the public would love to buy, if you don't invest in marketing for it, nobody will know it's out there

    Sent from my SCH-I535 using Android Central Forums
  17. #167  

    Default Re: Why did this device get so popular?

    I can't stand the Note 2 or S3 adverts (in the UK).. but if they are successful then fair enough.
  18. #168  

    Default Re: Why did this device get so popular?

    Quote Originally Posted by fade2black101 View Post
    Most of the world don't care about customising or tweaking though. So they'll find iOS smoother with better quality apps and better games. And they'll probably see the slowdowns and lag issues on android as substandard.

    You really can't say anything is substandard. iOS serves a different purpose than Android.
    I beg to disagree (but not in a nasty way). iOS does not server a different purpose than Android. They are both smartphones that are designed to make and receive calls as well as run apps. The fact that iOS has minimal configuration options does not mean that it's a different purpose than Android. I agree that much of the world doesn't care about tweaking though. The fact that you really CAN'T tweak iOS to the extent that you can with Android makes it a substandard product in my eyes. To others it may not be but that's their problem...
  19. #169  

    Default Re: Why did this device get so popular?

    Quote Originally Posted by ansextra View Post
    I beg to disagree (but not in a nasty way). iOS does not server a different purpose than Android. They are both smartphones that are designed to make and receive calls as well as run apps. The fact that iOS has minimal configuration options does not mean that it's a different purpose than Android. I agree that much of the world doesn't care about tweaking though. The fact that you really CAN'T tweak iOS to the extent that you can with Android makes it a substandard product in my eyes. To others it may not be but that's their problem...
    Fair enough.

    I just find that the reason a lot of people prefer it is becausr it's more simple and generally everything is pretty consistent and just works.

    Obviously to us we'll find Android superior because of what it offers over iOS, but neither is inherintly substandard in comparision to the other because a lot of people find the fluidity of iOS and quality of apps/games to be better than the android equivelent.

    The build quality of some android devices is also of a poorer quality than the iPhone. The note 2 seemingly cracking the screen from the smallest of drops won't fill many people with a lot of confidence. I know, use a case. But some people don't.
Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567

Similar Threads

  1. why is this phone not so popular?
    By tcrider84 in forum Optimus Elite Rooting, ROMs, and Hacks
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 07-14-2012, 06:52 PM
  2. This device is so lame it can' t even get it"s own thread!!
    By _Severability_ in forum Rumored Devices Lounge
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 06-02-2012, 11:44 PM
  3. Why did this happen? (Not enough memory)
    By ZenkiS14 in forum Sprint Galaxy S II Epic 4G Touch
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 11-09-2011, 04:52 PM
  4. Why is this phone getting so much buzz?
    By kemetblk in forum Sprint Galaxy S II Epic 4G Touch
    Replies: 15
    Last Post: 09-16-2011, 05:09 PM
  5. Why does this phone have so many problems?
    By bigk in forum Verizon Droid Incredible
    Replies: 36
    Last Post: 05-27-2010, 01:10 AM

Posting Permissions