Why did this device get so popular?

tewest86

Apr 30, 2011
Visit site
The fact that a removable battery did not deter Apple buyers is not a positive from my perspective. Apple buyers are very happy with a substandard phone with less functionality. I've been in many situations where my spare battery has needed to be used and iPhone users around me were SOL.

What is the big deal over a removal battery? I had a SGS3. My iPhone 5 out lasts it by hrs every day with the same usage. The iPhone charges faster so I quick connect to charge gives you a larger boost than the GS3. The make portable chargers that are the sand as an extra batter. So again, what is the big deal over removal batteries. Also, an iPhone battery RARELY goes bad. If by some reason it dies, apple will replace free of charge. It baffles when people always point to a removal battery as a plus. It's a minus because then manufactures have to design the phone different instead of slick like the iPhone, One X, Nexus 4.

ansextra

Apr 16, 2011
Visit site
What is the big deal over a removal battery? I had a SGS3. My iPhone 5 out lasts it by hrs every day with the same usage. The iPhone charges faster so I quick connect to charge gives you a larger boost than the GS3. The make portable chargers that are the sand as an extra batter. So again, what is the big deal over removal batteries. Also, an iPhone battery RARELY goes bad. If by some reason it dies, apple will replace free of charge. It baffles when people always point to a removal battery as a plus. It's a minus because then manufactures have to design the phone different instead of slick like the iPhone, One X, Nexus 4.
Ummm, what if you have no place to connect and the battery dies? This does happen. With my spare I just do a quick swap and the problem is solved.

WannaBeYou

Dec 19, 2012
Visit site
The make portable chargers that are the sand as an extra batter. So again, what is the big deal over removal batteries.
A spare battery is much smaller and lighter to carry around with you than a portable charger.

Also, an iPhone battery RARELY goes bad.
All rechargeable batteries will eventually no longer charge well. It is just the physical nature of the materials that are used to make the batteries. It has to do with the number of charge cycles. The iPhone 5 battery is a lithium ion battery and it will eventually stop taking a charge.

If by some reason it dies, apple will replace free of charge.
Only for 1 year from the date of purchase. Now if you buy applecare for $99, you get 2 years. After that, no, you have to pay to have it replaced.

It baffles when people always point to a removal battery as a plus.
It baffles me when people can't see why a removable battery is a plus. When you have a removable battery, you never need to have your phone tied to a charger or the wall if you have a spare battery and a charger.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
Also, an iPhone battery RARELY goes bad.

All rechargeable batteries will eventually no longer charge well. It is just the physical nature of the materials that are used to make the batteries. It has to do with the number of charge cycles. The iPhone 5 battery is a lithium ion battery and it will eventually stop taking a charge.

This. It's cool tewest if the removable isn't a big deal for you. It isn't for me either since I am usually never somewhere where I can't charge my phone. But you have to think everyone has different situations and needs. So... For some this is a plus. You can't say it's not a plus acting like what you say goes.. Because your needs and usage from day to day and also your location where you go from day to day differs from person to person.

Either way it can be a plus for some.. Some people may be out and about all day long and a quick swap from a dead battery to a full (which takes a minute) then they can continue as if they just pulled their phone off the charger.. Is a huge convenience.

Also as he said the iphone battery will go bad as ALL do. No one has a miracle never dieing battery... If there is one point me to it so I can never have to buy another battery for my car.

Sent from my Sprint S3 using AC forums

bakeri666

Mar 21, 2012
Visit site
It's a minus because then manufactures have to design the phone different instead of slick like the iPhone, One X, Nexus 4.
Bull
Take the two screws out the bottom of the iphone and the back slides up and can be removed, showing the battery. Replace that screw system with a clip and make the battery easier to swap and you have the same "slick" design but a swappable battery.

A removable battery has zero impact on design aesthetics, or phone size, or any other myth. It just removes an income stream for replacing batteries.

LegalAmerican

Feb 15, 2012
Visit site
I have an iPod and know of three other people with iPods that had batteries go bad. So I don't believe that Apple somehow has indestructible batteries. That's just another dramatic sensationalized Apple myth. But have fun swallowing whatever else Apple Co puts on your spoon.

meyerweb#CB

Banned
Sep 4, 2009
Visit site
Marketing surely plays a substantial role Samsung is the only phone company to compete with Apple in that regard. And it's a very good phone. AC didn't call it the best phone of 2012 just because Samsung advertised a lot. I was actually planning to get an HTC EvoLTE, but the lack of a removeable battery, and the poor multi-tasking pushed me away. The fact that I got it for $50 on black Friday didn't hurt, either.

Persill

Dec 28, 2012
Visit site
Bull
Take the two screws out the bottom of the iphone and the back slides up and can be removed, showing the battery. Replace that screw system with a clip and make the battery easier to swap and you have the same "slick" design but a swappable battery.

A removable battery has zero impact on design aesthetics, or phone size, or any other myth. It just removes an income stream for replacing batteries.

I was just gonna mention how easy it is to remove an iPhone battery if you have the screwdriver, but you beat me to it :p

Edit:

Also yeah iPhone batteries aren't anything too special they wear just like any battery would over time.

Shanicenicolle

Nov 2, 2012
Visit site
The non expandable memory is what got me. I was coming from an iphone and didn't want to be restricted again because I take a lot of pictures. The hox is a really nice phone tho.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Android Central Forums

XChrisX

Jun 24, 2012
Visit site
I saw accurate leaks of the iPhone 5 around March/April of 2012, and new I'd be going Android with my next device. I ALMOST pulled the trigger on a HOX but the limited 16gb of storage had me holding out. The S3 had a gargantuan 4.8" SAMOLED display(compared to the iPhone I was used to) that I really wanted with great specs, and 2 gigs of ram. Awesome camera, and still easily pocketable. If I could do it all over again, I'd still get an S3!

EDIT: Come to think of it, I see a ton of S3's in the wild. And everyone always asks "Is that a Galaxy SIII?" But I don't recall ever seeing a single One X sadly enough.

Suntan

Mar 16, 2011
Visit site
Personally, when the two were in rumor/early release status, the HOX had a giant Lightingbolt shaped mark against it while the GSIII had a big, GSII shaped thumbs up for it.

Then details started coming out and I learned that I could get a GSIII that would pretty much be the same around the world, ensuring good support for accessories and ROMs, or I could get a HO-X,-S,-T,-9er,-Incredible depending on where I wanted to shop and what the phase of the moon was.

The specs got finalized on both and I found out I could get a 32GB GSIII with mSD support. That was a big incentive.

Finally, the HOX released and people started complaining that it didn't multi-task because it didn't have enough memory while the GSIII was announced that it would come out with twice the memory of the HOX in the US.

Case closed. Game over. Pre-order was placed.

YMMV.

PS. Let me tell ask you, which phone do you think is already getting the leg up for next year's replacement, The GSIV or the HTC One X,S,N,G or V replacement?

-Suntan

sr2012

Nov 30, 2012
Visit site
I saw accurate leaks of the iPhone 5 around March/April of 2012, and new I'd be going Android with my next device. I ALMOST pulled the trigger on a HOX but the limited 16gb of storage had me holding out. The S3 had a gargantuan 4.8" SAMOLED display(compared to the iPhone I was used to) that I really wanted with great specs, and 2 gigs of ram. Awesome camera, and still easily pocketable. If I could do it all over again, I'd still get an S3!

EDIT: Come to think of it, I see a ton of S3's in the wild. And everyone always asks "Is that a Galaxy SIII?" But I don't recall ever seeing a single One X sadly enough.

To me One X is really good value right now compared to S3 and somehow I like it better.

But Samsung definitely has a winner.

Still like others have mentioned The One X has a certain allure to it and I love it.

Sent from my HTC One X using Android Central Forums

NewMind83

Aug 8, 2012
Visit site
Great marketing by Samsung, as most have already pointed out. Also, HTC didn't do itself any favors by limiting the number of carriers of the One X. Only one carrier in the US compared to five for the gs3 isn't going to cut it.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Android Central Forums

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
Ummm, what if you have no place to connect and the battery dies? This does happen. With my spare I just do a quick swap and the problem is solved.

Almost everyone I know that had a phone with a removable battery never even bothered to buy a spare.

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
It baffles me when people can't see why a removable battery is a plus. When you have a removable battery, you never need to have your phone tied to a charger or the wall if you have a spare battery and a charger.

It baffles me when people act like a non-removable battery is the end of the world.