Why did this device get so popular?

LegalAmerican

Feb 15, 2012
Visit site
Don't bother, it's not getting through.

Some people don't want to remember history. The reality is that for a lot of us, waiting for the "next generation" to come out, the HOX and the GSIII were the only two contenders in the race (4.5"+ plus, LTE, S4 soc.) The GSIII had a removeable battery and an mSD slot but the HOX didn't. That *was* the deciding factor for a number of people. Yet, now as then some people won't accept this.

-Suntan

yeah. Considering I OWN the Gs3. You clearly have me pegged! And I will definitely believe that you randomly chose to spend $200+ for a S3 simply because it was a phone, has a screen, and an sd slot with removeable battery. Since other $50 options don't have any of those.

And i'm unsure what you mean by "don't bother". You suddenly are changing the debate to SD card slots or not. I was debating on removeable battery. I see how you're gonna go at this though. It's pointless to debate a topic when one party continuously changes the subject and pretends it was the original aspect. In 3 pages you'll suddenly be saying we were arguing about which airliner is best or who knows what else you'll come up with. I love sharing my opinions and hearing yours when we disagree, but it gets pointless when you change the foundation of the subject matter.

Serial Fordicator

May 15, 2011
Visit site
yeah. Considering I OWN the Gs3. You clearly have me pegged! And I will definitely believe that you randomly chose to spend $200+ for a S3 simply because it was a phone, has a screen, and an sd slot with removeable battery. Since other $50 options don't have any of those.

And i'm unsure what you mean by "don't bother". You suddenly are changing the debate to SD card slots or not. I was debating on removeable battery. I see how you're gonna go at this though. It's pointless to debate a topic when one party continuously changes the subject and pretends it was the original aspect. In 3 pages you'll suddenly be saying we were arguing about which airliner is best or who knows what else you'll come up with. I love sharing my opinions and hearing yours when we disagree, but it gets pointless when you change the foundation of the subject matter.

I didn't add etc. To my last post. What I meant was there are tons of things I liked about it but the SD card and battery is what set it apart from other choices FOR ME.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Android Central Forums

LegalAmerican

Feb 15, 2012
Visit site
Really there's nothing to argue about because we all love the GS3 here. SD slot is a huge deal to me, because there's no accessories to help with that like there is with a removeable battery.

AND, I agree with what was said by someone earlier where they believe the S2 played a big role in making the S3 more popluar. I imagine the HOX+ was better known because of the HOX, and if they market better, it will continue to have a snowball effect for HTC moving forward. I know a few people who have already said it will take a lot for them to ever leave the Samsung Galaxy S line of devices because they have loved them. It's a brand that is creating a following because they are traditionally top of the line and very well supported in the Dev community.

SenseMonkey

Jun 4, 2012
Visit site
Really there's nothing to argue about because we all love the GS3 here. SD slot is a huge deal to me, because there's no accessories to help with that like there is with a removeable battery.

AND, I agree with what was said by someone earlier where they believe the S2 played a big role in making the S3 more popluar. I imagine the HOX+ was better known because of the HOX, and if they market better, it will continue to have a snowball effect for HTC moving forward. I know a few people who have already said it will take a lot for them to ever leave the Samsung Galaxy S line of devices because they have loved them. It's a brand that is creating a following because they are traditionally top of the line and very well supported in the Dev community.

The htc one x+ is a very capable device. Would of been perfect if it's display was 5inchs or plus. I had it but the size of the note 2 made me switch. :p

Sent from my Behemoth of a phone, the Galaxy Note 2 :D

sledge007

Apr 10, 2011
Visit site
No mention of Touchstone charging in this thread.....until now!!!! :D I will admit I don't use mine a whole lot, as I have an Otterbox Defender case which isn't removed very often, but I do have 4 or 5 Touchstones kicking around and the modded back. True, it isn't what made it get so popular, but it's kinda cool to use some outside technology with it. :D

Suntan

Mar 16, 2011
Visit site
You suddenly are changing the debate to SD card slots or not.

???

What are you talking about?

Who were the two that said:

Because if the only two reasons you bought the phone was because of the SD slot and removeable battery, your brain would have exploded because there are 50 other options out there that meet the same rigorous criteria.

and

No consumers ran out and bought S3s because it has expandable memory and a removable battery.

Those are the comments that touched off this part of the discussion.

You're just looking for an argument. No, nobody has the batt and the sd slot as "the only two reasons" and nobody said as much.

Serial said they were important and what set it apart for him. You can take him at his word or you can continue to prance around the semantics of the word "only."

My comments were exactly as they are written. I didn't say *I* but I did say a number of people. Because that's what it was. Back when the two phones first came out, there was a lot of posturing and whinging by the people on both sides. A lot of people downplaying and belittling the notion that an SD card and a removable battery could tip the decision between the two. Yet then as now, a lot of people commented that SD and batt were important to them. Take it how you will, but at the time the HOX and the GSIII were the only contenders for people looking for a new flagship phone and the sd and removable batt were important for a lot of people, deal breakers for some.

Now in case you continue to have any confusion on where *I* stand on the merits of the devices, read the original post I posted in this thread. I haven't claimed anything differently about myself in any other post.

-Suntan

Suntan

Mar 16, 2011
Visit site
No mention of Touchstone charging in this thread.....until now!!!! :D

I have to admit, one of my touchstone pucks is currently resting on top of the mUSB cord on my dresser to keep the plug from dropping onto the floor when the phone is unplugged. I'd always had thoughts of modding to work with them, but never got around to it.

Those touchstones are still badass even today. The wireless charger solutions available on the market now look clunky and Busch League in comparison.

-Suntan

LegalAmerican

Feb 15, 2012
Visit site
???

What are you talking about?

Who were the two that said:

and

Those are the comments that touched off this part of the discussion.

You're just looking for an argument. No, nobody has the batt and the sd slot as "the only two reasons" and nobody said as much.

Serial said they were important and what set it apart for him. You can take him at his word or you can continue to prance around the semantics of the word "only."

My comments were exactly as they are written. I didn't say *I* but I did say a number of people. Because that's what it was. Back when the two phones first came out, there was a lot of posturing and whinging by the people on both sides. A lot of people downplaying and belittling the notion that an SD card and a removable battery could tip the decision between the two. Yet then as now, a lot of people commented that SD and batt were important to them. Take it how you will, but at the time the HOX and the GSIII were the only contenders for people looking for a new flagship phone and the sd and removable batt were important for a lot of people, deal breakers for some.

Now in case you continue to have any confusion on where *I* stand on the merits of the devices, read the original post I posted in this thread. I haven't claimed anything differently about myself in any other post.

-Suntan

I didn't say YOU brought the SD slot up. I said you tried to change the argument from what the advantages and disadvantages of removable batteries were, to the advantages and disadvantages of an SD slot. But obviously an SD slot will always be an advantage. Talking to Serial about reasons to buy the device, and talking to Sunburn about removable batteries are two completely different conversations. It's fine with me if we consolidate the two, but not if you can't keep the details of the original debate straight.

mehlord

Nov 23, 2011
Visit site
Specs and price is what sold me. Also, it's a beautiful phone, great camera, and the screen just rocks. Ease of rooting and modifying was also a sweet selling point.

For my wife's S3 she liked all the available accessories. Only thing in her eyes the iphone has going for it compared to android.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Android Central Forums

anon(94115)

Banned
Nov 29, 2010
Visit site
I didn't say YOU brought the SD slot up. I said you tried to change the argument from what the advantages and disadvantages of removable batteries were, to the advantages and disadvantages of an SD slot. But obviously an SD slot will always be an advantage. Talking to Serial about reasons to buy the device, and talking to Sunburn about removable batteries are two completely different conversations. It's fine with me if we consolidate the two, but not if you can't keep the details of the original debate straight.

I have not paid any attention to this thread but I wanted to give LegalAmerican a like and thanks for the front page comment he made. Looks like my kinda thread though....

LegalAmerican

Feb 15, 2012
Visit site
I have not paid any attention to this thread but I wanted to give LegalAmerican a like and thanks for the front page comment he made. Looks like my kinda thread though....

Please join us. It's about run it's course but the tenderized horse carcass could withstand a few more beatings. Also, love the terrible "Dandroids" avatar.

iN8ter

Banned
Jan 23, 2012
Visit site
I used my vibrant for 18 months. The HD7 for 12. And ipod touch for 12 all very heavily and never needed a replacement battery.

There are rapid wall chargers. My phone can plug into a laptop. And those bump chargers should be used intelligently, not when your phone is at 30%.

If I'm at my desk I charge. In the car I charge. I don't install a bunch of crap on my phone.

I've never needed an extended battery or spare even when I was traveling for 12 hours across three airports through LTE markers with no Wifi using it above moderately.

Embedded batteries are only a deal breaker if the battery is under speced. HTC under speced the One X battery life sorry, even the $99 at launch Xperia ion launched with a 1900 mah battery. 1735 is too small for a modern smartphone. 1900 is fairly average and 2100+ is optimal.

IPhone users never cared because the iPhone lasts as long as a GS3 with < 1500 mah in the battery. If they had a 2100 mah battery the thing would be giving the razr maxx a run for its money.

Put things into perspective.

GS3 won cause they have brand recognition. HTC fragments its brand/flagship into forgetfulness. I can't expect anyone to know what a Droid DNA or One X is, but everyone know what an iPhone or GS3 is, cause those companies are intelligent about their branding and device launches.

Even LG seems more intelligent about this than HTC, and Motorola has the same issue as well. How many Razrs and Atrices do we have now?

Btw, the original GS was one of the buggiest POS flagship devices in history so HTC has themselves to blame for losing out. They were too obsessed with sense software that didn't need any attention with the way TW3 was performing. I instead they needed a stable branding and less redundant devices across the carriers (with differing naming and build).

Also, up until the Vivid/Rezound HTC camera phones were only marginally better than Motorola. Terrible compression, white balance, exposure compensation, low light performance, etc.

I know a few people who got Samsung GS2/3s because they didn't want to get burned by HTC with the cameras AGAIN (many people in this sport are using phones and tablets for video recording since they're so accessible). I know the video out of the Vivid and Rezound had such bad sound recording that you had to turn it off at times, which certainly turned off some friends of mine leading into the One X launch.

Also, HTC had embargo issues in the USA with the One Series, which most in this thread seem to have forgotten.

Sent from my AT&T Skyrocket using Tapatalk 2.

Last edited:

Quis89

Q&A Team
Oct 15, 2009
Visit site
The fact that a removable battery did not deter Apple buyers is not a positive from my perspective. Apple buyers are very happy with a substandard phone with less functionality. I've been in many situations where my spare battery has needed to be used and iPhone users around me were SOL.

I would hardly call the iPhone "substandard". Without the iPhone there would be no galaxy s3 as we know it. And the non removable battery isn't an issue when you can purchase items such as the mophie juicepack. For similar pricing to your battery. No need to pull out and replace the battery. Just flip a switch. Much more convenient.

No bias. I just own an s3, evo lte and a 4s. All awesome devices with their own individual advantages.

Sent from my SPH-L900 using Android Central Forums

meyerweb#CB

Banned
Sep 4, 2009
Visit site
I would hardly call the iPhone "substandard". Without the iPhone there would be no galaxy s3 as we know it. And the non removable battery isn't an issue when you can purchase items such as the mophie juicepack. For similar pricing to your battery. No need to pull out and replace the battery. Just flip a switch. Much more convenient.

Actually, I can get spare batteries for about $10 each, or less. And they're a lot less bulky than a Morphie. I consider carrying the added bulk of a Morphie around all the time to be far less convenient than carrying a slim spare battery for those occasions when I need one.

fade2black101

Jan 15, 2012
Visit site

No bias. I just own an s3, evo lte and a 4s. All awesome devices with their own individual advantages.

Clearly there is bias.

Not from you though :)

fade2black101

Jan 15, 2012
Visit site
I used my vibrant for 18 months. The HD7 for 12. And ipod touch for 12 all very heavily and never needed a replacement battery.

There are rapid wall chargers. My phone can plug into a laptop. And those bump chargers should be used intelligently, not when your phone is at 30%.

If I'm at my desk I charge. In the car I charge. I don't install a bunch of crap on my phone.

I've never needed an extended battery or spare even when I was traveling for 12 hours across three airports through LTE markers with no Wifi using it above moderately.

Embedded batteries are only a deal breaker if the battery is under speced. HTC under speced the One X battery life sorry, even the $99 at launch Xperia ion launched with a 1900 mah battery. 1735 is too small for a modern smartphone. 1900 is fairly average and 2100+ is optimal.

IPhone users never cared because the iPhone lasts as long as a GS3 with < 1500 mah in the battery. If they had a 2100 mah battery the thing would be giving the razr maxx a run for its money.

Put things into perspective.

GS3 won cause they have brand recognition. HTC fragments its brand/flagship into forgetfulness. I can't expect anyone to know what a Droid DNA or One X is, but everyone know what an iPhone or GS3 is, cause those companies are intelligent about their branding and device launches.

Even LG seems more intelligent about this than HTC, and Motorola has the same issue as well. How many Razrs and Atrices do we have now?

Btw, the original GS was one of the buggiest POS flagship devices in history so HTC has themselves to blame for losing out. They were too obsessed with sense software that didn't need any attention with the way TW3 was performing. I instead they needed a stable branding and less redundant devices across the carriers (with differing naming and build).

Also, up until the Vivid/Rezound HTC camera phones were only marginally better than Motorola. Terrible compression, white balance, exposure compensation, low light performance, etc.

I know a few people who got Samsung GS2/3s because they didn't want to get burned by HTC with the cameras AGAIN (many people in this sport are using phones and tablets for video recording since they're so accessible). I know the video out of the Vivid and Rezound had such bad sound recording that you had to turn it off at times, which certainly turned off some friends of mine leading into the One X launch.

Also, HTC had embargo issues in the USA with the One Series, which most in this thread seem to have forgotten.

Sent from my AT&T Skyrocket using Tapatalk 2.

Cannot argue with that

And this is from someone who has had 5 HTC phones in succession stretching back to Windows Mobile. Now currently have a Note 2 and EVO 3D.

HTC have made some mistakes for sure, which is a shame given the superiour build quality in comparision to the plasticky Samsung devices.

ansextra

Apr 16, 2011
Visit site

The fact that the iPhone was a precursor to the Galaxy S3 does not mean that it is not substandard compared to Android. Regarding a Mophie juicepack maybe I'm different than you but I keep my phone in my pocket and don't want any additional unnecessary bulk added to it. A battery does not add additional bulk but the Mophie does. I use an extremely thin case on my S3 for this reason.
Yes the iPhone is an awesome device but I still say it's substandard. ;)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kerokekerol