Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 1 of 7 1234 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 168
Like Tree73Likes
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  
    Persill's Avatar

    Posts
    49 Posts
    Global Posts
    50 Global Posts

    Lightbulb Why did this device get so popular?

    First of all I think the S3 is awesome. i was just wondering how this one device become pretty much the flagship Android phone of the year? (Besides the Nexus 4)
    I look back months ago when i was deciding to buy either the S3 or the HTC One X and was reading reviews on both which made them appear almost equivalent. Needless to say i ended up with the One X and feel like i got the short end of the stick. People never recognize my phone as anything special and i constantly wonder why the One X has been forgotten and is such an underdog while the S3 dominated in popularity? The One X is pretty great, but i think i should have just gotten the S3 at the time.
    Could it be all the advertising? What made this phone so popular? Opinions? Sound off here ! Let me know what you think !

    (P.S I just bought the Note II)
  2. #2  

    Default Re: Why did this device get so popular?

    Advertising. Samsung sunk so much money into advertising it was impossible for anyone else to compete. Official phone of the Olympics was a big help too...

    Don't get me wrong, Samsung makes a nice product. I'm a former Galaxy S Epic 4g owner and proud owner of NS4G & GNex. All Samsung products.
    Paul
    Moderator Team Leader @ Android Central

    I am the Tegra Champ. What this means is that from time to time NVIDIA might send me new products to try out. This will not affect my thoughts, ideas, or opinions about any product that are discussed in the forums. Those are still my own.
  3. #3  
    Ricky Babalu's Avatar
    BEACH BUM

    Posts
    1,960 Posts
    ROM
    Stock : Rooted, Unlocked

    Default Re: Why did this device get so popular?

    Aside from the fact that it is a good device, marketing for this phone has been off the charts. I have not seen a phone marketed like this with major corporate sponsorship, key product tie ins, numerous celebrity endorsements, and product placement (shark tank), since the Iphone.
  4. #4  
    Tkbredx's Avatar

    Posts
    1,855 Posts
    Global Posts
    1,857 Global Posts
    ROM
    TeamSonicFreeGS3 v9.1

    Default Re: Why did this device get so popular?

    Good specs, amazing advertising, probably the first phone to truly show of NFC capabilities which is really interesting to people, commercials are hilarious, pricing/deals as always for many android devices are amazing where as iphone doesn't really get holiday deals and stuff.

    Samsung just stepped it up. And people know a good phone when they see it. Outstanding job by Samsung
  5. #5  

    Default Re: Why did this device get so popular?

    They also got essentially the same phone on virtually EVERY carrier. Yes the European models have different specs than the US models but for the MOST part it's the same phone everywhere (just like the iPhone). All S3's look exactly alike so they're everywhere! Yes, there are carrier differences in the US that I'd love to see disappear but in my opinion they're minor differences and not really a factor.
    Thanked by:
    CampCash and Premium1 like this.
  6. #6  

    Default Re: Why did this device get so popular?

    Also the galaxy series has always been a good series for samsung.. So that helps as well.

    Sent from my Sprint S3 using AC forums
    Sent from my T-Mobile Note 3 using AC Forums.
  7. #7  

    Default Re: Why did this device get so popular?

    I picked up the first Galaxy S phone WWAAAYYYYY BAACCKK in 2010 called the Samsung Galaxy S Epic 4G on Sprint! Was my first intro to the smartphone world and haven't looked back or away from Sammy. Almost picked up the Evo 4G but thank goodness they were sold out and couldn't get my hands on it! When I saw the screen of the Epic 4G, I immediately changed my order from the Evo 4G that was on hold at BB.
  8. #8  
    worwig's Avatar

    Posts
    732 Posts
    Global Posts
    760 Global Posts

    Default Re: Why did this device get so popular?

    Strong advertising.

    In general, the great unwashed masses don't know the difference between an iPhone and an Android device. But Samsung has been hitting the airwaves with enough ads to help people distinguish them. HTC, not so much.

    I would have rather had a One X, but the mediocre battery life and no sd card slot made me turn away.

    But it worked out because the SIII is a great phone. It just works, and in fact, is a touch boring because if that.
  9. #9  

    Default Re: Why did this device get so popular?

    It looks like an iPhone
    MERCDROID and Persill like this.
  10. #10  

    Default Re: Why did this device get so popular?

    Like others have said it's marketing. Sammy's ads have stuck out for me even before I got the s3. The next big thing ads mocking apple, the nfc commercial where the wife puts a supposedly dirty video on the husbands phone and the Note2 commercial with the NBA player and his family showcasing the N2's capabilities.

    Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Android Central Forums
    Ry and TheLibertarian like this.
  11. #11  

    Default Re: Why did this device get so popular?

    Samsung is really good at marketing. The other Android phone manufacturers need to follow there lead.

    Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Android Central Forums
  12. Thread Author  Thread Author    #12  
    Persill's Avatar

    Posts
    49 Posts
    Global Posts
    50 Global Posts

    Default Re: Why did this device get so popular?

    Quote Originally Posted by worwig View Post
    Strong advertising.

    In general, the great unwashed masses don't know the difference between an iPhone and an Android device. But Samsung has been hitting the airwaves with enough ads to help people distinguish them. HTC, not so much.

    I would have rather had a One X, but the mediocre battery life and no sd card slot made me turn away.

    But it worked out because the SIII is a great phone. It just works, and in fact, is a touch boring because if that.
    Agreed, i got screwed for the memory. The ATT One X is limited to 16GB.
    Overall though, yeah the Ads really stuck out and were all a step up from everyone else's.
  13. #13  
    McPlot's Avatar

    Posts
    797 Posts
    Global Posts
    798 Global Posts
    ROM
    clean rom ics

    Default Re: Why did this device get so popular?

    The 2gb Ram on the S3 helps a lot

    Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2
    If at first you don't succeed, then sky driving is not for you.
    XChrisX likes this.
  14. #14  

    Default Re: Why did this device get so popular?

    It's a great device and on all the carriers which is why it's so popular.
  15. #15  

    Default Re: Why did this device get so popular?

    I also got HOX because I always act rebelish for no aperent reason. They started with the same price and now you can buy HOX for 150 dollars less. Enough said.
  16. #16  
    GK3K's Avatar

    Posts
    229 Posts
    Global Posts
    230 Global Posts

    Default Re: Why did this device get so popular?

    Quote Originally Posted by anonuk View Post
    It looks like an iPhone
    CampCash, codeda and MERCDROID like this.
  17. #17  

    Default Re: Why did this device get so popular?

    I considered both the One X and the S3 when I bought in August. For me, it was the practical consideration of having microSD card access that swayed me to buy the S3. The removable battery also helped. I think that these features may have convinced others to buy the S3, too.
    badbrad17 likes this.
  18. #18  
    Quis89's Avatar

    Posts
    573 Posts
    Global Posts
    745 Global Posts

    Default Re: Why did this device get so popular?

    Advertising and marketing. I enjoy the phone but it's really not that much better than HTCs offerings. The incredible advertising by Samsung just led you to believe so. Sure a removable battery is cool... But that never deterred apple buyers. The phone was everywhere. Samsung made a huge push for this device and it was easier because it was essentially the same phone on all carriers. Which is a large advantage as well.
  19. #19  

    Default Re: Why did this device get so popular?

    Quote Originally Posted by Quis View Post
    Advertising and marketing. I enjoy the phone but it's really not that much better than HTCs offerings. The incredible advertising by Samsung just led you to believe so. Sure a removable battery is cool... But that never deterred apple buyers. The phone was everywhere. Samsung made a huge push for this device and it was easier because it was essentially the same phone on all carriers. Which is a large advantage as well.
    The fact that a removable battery did not deter Apple buyers is not a positive from my perspective. Apple buyers are very happy with a substandard phone with less functionality. I've been in many situations where my spare battery has needed to be used and iPhone users around me were SOL.
    Thanked by 2:
    nolittdroid and Andr0idFan7 like this.
  20. #20  

    Default Re: Why did this device get so popular?

    A great marketing campaign, multi carrier access and it's a pretty sick phone!

    Sent from my S3 on ACS
    Sent from my S3
  21. #21  

    Default Why did this device get so popular?

    Quote Originally Posted by ansextra View Post
    The fact that a removable battery did not deter Apple buyers is not a positive from my perspective. Apple buyers are very happy with a substandard phone with less functionality. I've been in many situations where my spare battery has needed to be used and iPhone users around me were SOL.
    What is the big deal over a removal battery? I had a SGS3. My iPhone 5 out lasts it by hrs every day with the same usage. The iPhone charges faster so I quick connect to charge gives you a larger boost than the GS3. The make portable chargers that are the sand as an extra batter. So again, what is the big deal over removal batteries. Also, an iPhone battery RARELY goes bad. If by some reason it dies, apple will replace free of charge. It baffles when people always point to a removal battery as a plus. It's a minus because then manufactures have to design the phone different instead of slick like the iPhone, One X, Nexus 4.
  22. #22  

    Default Re: Why did this device get so popular?

    Quote Originally Posted by anonuk View Post
    It looks like an iPhone
    I'm assuming you're being sarcastic. If not, get your eyes checked.

    Sent from my Galaxy S3
    Droid Bionic>Droid Razr Maxx>Verizon Galaxy S3>T-Mobile Galaxy S3, Nexus 5, Samsung Galaxy Note 10.1
  23. #23  

    Default Re: Why did this device get so popular?

    Quote Originally Posted by tewest86 View Post
    What is the big deal over a removal battery? I had a SGS3. My iPhone 5 out lasts it by hrs every day with the same usage. The iPhone charges faster so I quick connect to charge gives you a larger boost than the GS3. The make portable chargers that are the sand as an extra batter. So again, what is the big deal over removal batteries. Also, an iPhone battery RARELY goes bad. If by some reason it dies, apple will replace free of charge. It baffles when people always point to a removal battery as a plus. It's a minus because then manufactures have to design the phone different instead of slick like the iPhone, One X, Nexus 4.
    Ummm, what if you have no place to connect and the battery dies? This does happen. With my spare I just do a quick swap and the problem is solved.
    Thanked by 2:
    neiljay6 and ttwiitch like this.
  24. #24  

    Default Re: Why did this device get so popular?

    Quote Originally Posted by tewest86 View Post
    The make portable chargers that are the sand as an extra batter. So again, what is the big deal over removal batteries.
    A spare battery is much smaller and lighter to carry around with you than a portable charger.

    Quote Originally Posted by tewest86 View Post
    Also, an iPhone battery RARELY goes bad.
    All rechargeable batteries will eventually no longer charge well. It is just the physical nature of the materials that are used to make the batteries. It has to do with the number of charge cycles. The iPhone 5 battery is a lithium ion battery and it will eventually stop taking a charge.

    Quote Originally Posted by tewest86 View Post
    If by some reason it dies, apple will replace free of charge.
    Only for 1 year from the date of purchase. Now if you buy applecare for $99, you get 2 years. After that, no, you have to pay to have it replaced.

    Quote Originally Posted by tewest86 View Post
    It baffles when people always point to a removal battery as a plus.
    It baffles me when people can't see why a removable battery is a plus. When you have a removable battery, you never need to have your phone tied to a charger or the wall if you have a spare battery and a charger.
    Thanked by 3:
  25. #25  

    Default Re: Why did this device get so popular?

    Quote Originally Posted by tewest86 View Post
    Also, an iPhone battery RARELY goes bad.
    Quote Originally Posted by WannaBeYou View Post

    All rechargeable batteries will eventually no longer charge well. It is just the physical nature of the materials that are used to make the batteries. It has to do with the number of charge cycles. The iPhone 5 battery is a lithium ion battery and it will eventually stop taking a charge.
    This. It's cool tewest if the removable isn't a big deal for you. It isn't for me either since I am usually never somewhere where I can't charge my phone. But you have to think everyone has different situations and needs. So... For some this is a plus. You can't say it's not a plus acting like what you say goes.. Because your needs and usage from day to day and also your location where you go from day to day differs from person to person.

    Either way it can be a plus for some.. Some people may be out and about all day long and a quick swap from a dead battery to a full (which takes a minute) then they can continue as if they just pulled their phone off the charger.. Is a huge convenience.

    Also as he said the iphone battery will go bad as ALL do. No one has a miracle never dieing battery... If there is one point me to it so I can never have to buy another battery for my car.

    Sent from my Sprint S3 using AC forums
    Sent from my T-Mobile Note 3 using AC Forums.
Page 1 of 7 1234 ... LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. why is this phone not so popular?
    By tcrider84 in forum Optimus Elite Rooting, ROMs, and Hacks
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 07-14-2012, 06:52 PM
  2. This device is so lame it can' t even get it"s own thread!!
    By _Severability_ in forum Rumored Devices Lounge
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 06-02-2012, 11:44 PM
  3. Why did this happen? (Not enough memory)
    By ZenkiS14 in forum Sprint Galaxy S II Epic 4G Touch
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 11-09-2011, 04:52 PM
  4. Why is this phone getting so much buzz?
    By kemetblk in forum Sprint Galaxy S II Epic 4G Touch
    Replies: 15
    Last Post: 09-16-2011, 05:09 PM
  5. Why does this phone have so many problems?
    By bigk in forum Verizon Droid Incredible
    Replies: 36
    Last Post: 05-27-2010, 01:10 AM

Posting Permissions