Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 26 to 50 of 66
Like Tree38Likes
  1. #26  
    Ricky Babalu's Avatar
    BEACH BUM

    Posts
    1,983 Posts
    ROM
    Stock : Rooted, Unlocked

    Default Re: Help my wife enjoy the phone

    I am going to have to agree with most here, that she should return the S3 and get an Iphone. I tried to get my wife, daughter 1, and daughter 2 to get androids. I snapped out of my temporary insanity to discover that if they did get Androids I would be blamed for everything that went wrong, did not work, or did not meet their expectations. In addition, I would be constantly asked "how do you do this" or "why does android not do this", and so on........................I like my peace and quiet and as it stands I have happy girls. You are already seeing the signs of an unhappy wife. Remember the old saying "A happy wife, is a Happy household".
    Thanked by 2:
  2. #27  
    worwig's Avatar

    Posts
    823 Posts
    Global Posts
    849 Global Posts

    Default Re: Help my wife enjoy the phone

    Quote Originally Posted by spacekungfuman View Post
    But I guess that Android hasn't reached iOS levels of ease of use of user friendliness.
    What may be 'user friendliness' to one person, is 'locked down' to another person.
    Android is easy enough to use in this case, so it is more a matter of what you are used to, or what you are willing to learn.
  3. #28  
    crester's Avatar

    Posts
    461 Posts
    Global Posts
    576 Global Posts

    Default Re: Help my wife enjoy the phone

    Quote Originally Posted by spacekungfuman View Post
    Seriously? You're insulting my wife on a forum about cell phones? Not liking a cell phone that is undoubtedly more complicated than others means you are closed minded? Stop taking this so seriously. It's a cell phone. . .

    I am a tech guy (big into gadgets, programming background, even had my own startup) and I don't think the design is user friendly either. It reminds me very strongly of the windows mobile phones I used to use, and like them, it demands a fairly high level of knowledge about the phone and plenty or tweaks or other user involvement in order to perform well. iOS is much less customizable, but the upside is that you know it is just how it is and it works, so there is nothing to do with the phone other than use it, vs potentially becoming paralyzed by the need to keep tweaking when you are given the option. At least that is how I look at it.
    I'm not "insulting" your wife... I'm telling the truth. Let's look at what you are saying here... you come onto the forum and are basically saying your wife does not like the SGS3 because it is not an iPhone. Then you proceed to ask questions to figure out how you can make the SGS3 look and behave exactly like an iPhone. Then you proceed to explain that your wife isn't interested in any additional features or capabilities that Android offers over iOS. So why in the world are you trying to "force" your wife to use something she clearly doesn't want to use???

    Be a good husband and go get your wife an iPhone...
    Thanked by 2:
  4. #29  

    Default Re: Help my wife enjoy the phone

    Quote Originally Posted by Ricky Babalu View Post
    I am going to have to agree with most here, that she should return the S3 and get an Iphone. I tried to get my wife, daughter 1, and daughter 2 to get androids. I snapped out of my temporary insanity to discover that if they did get Androids I would be blamed for everything that went wrong, did not work, or did not meet their expectations. In addition, I would be constantly asked "how do you do this" or "why does android not do this", and so on........................I like my peace and quiet and as it stands I have happy girls. You are already seeing the signs of an unhappy wife. Remember the old saying "A happy wife, is a Happy household".
    Also exactly why I don't preach Android to others. Last thing I want is them calling me at all times of hours throughout the day on how to do this and that, lol!
    Ricky Babalu and neiljay6 like this.
  5. #30  
    Ricky Babalu's Avatar
    BEACH BUM

    Posts
    1,983 Posts
    ROM
    Stock : Rooted, Unlocked

    Default Re: Help my wife enjoy the phone

    Quote Originally Posted by GrooveRite View Post
    Also exactly why I don't preach Android to others. Last thing I want is them calling me at all times of hours throughout the day on how to do this and that, lol!
    I and my youngest daughter have a friendly "feud": Iphone vs. S3
    We are always ribbing each other on the merits of our phones. All in good fun!!!!!
  6. #31  

    Default Re: Help my wife enjoy the phone

    Seems to me there is no reason she decided on the GSIII except screen size. Trade it back for an iPhone 5 as it is way easier to use. You and your wife will be happier.
    neiljay6 and crester like this.
  7. Thread Author  Thread Author    #32  

    Default Re: Help my wife enjoy the phone

    My wife was the one who wanted the phone. I will gladly get her an iphone 5 instead. I just want her to have a chance to try using this first (which means making it work how she wants it to), because she was really drawn to the screen size.
  8. Thread Author  Thread Author    #33  

    Default Re: Help my wife enjoy the phone

    Quote Originally Posted by Splash84 View Post
    Seems to me there is no reason she decided on the GSIII except screen size. Trade it back for an iPhone 5 as it is way easier to use. You and your wife will be happier.
    It is exactly right that she wanted it for screen size. She has no interest in android otherwise. Like I said, I want to see if it can work in a way she is just as happy with, and if it can't, then its iphone time.
  9. #34  

    Default Re: Help my wife enjoy the phone

    My mother who is now 82 years old wanted a smartphone. Even 82 year olds are apparently subject to peer pressure... She asked me what I thought she should get and I told her to get an iPhone. BUT I also told her not to ever call me for tech support because I haven't held an iPhone in almost 4 years and wouldn't be able to help her. So of course the other day she started asking me for help. I stopped her and told her to call one of her teenage granddaughters since they both have iPhones... She did.
  10. #35  

    Default Re: Help my wife enjoy the phone

    Like I said in an earlier post: The strength of Android is in it's flexibility and ability to be customized. The strength of iOS is it's simplicity, which is a direct result of it's lack of flexibility and ability to be customized.

    Android is plenty easy to use. Start it up, click on the icons for the programs you want to use, and they run. Just like on an iPhone. Deleting icons you don't want, and adding ones you do, is extremely simple. It's just DIFFERENT than the way iOS does it. It's only when you want to start changing the default way Android does things that it gets complicated. And if you're trying to change it to work like iOS, you're going to be very frustrated. Accept Android for what it is, and it works just fine. Not like an iPhone, or a Windows phone, or a Mac, but like Android. Just as an iPhone works like itself, not like Android, or Windows, or anything else.

    Oh, definitely not like a Windows phone. The only similarity I see between Android and Windows phones (the old Windows) is that they both offer lots of flexibility. But the interfaces and ways of interacting are completely different.

    iOS is much easier to use because you don't need to learn as much. There simply aren't as many things you can change. That's good for ease of learning, bad for making it suit you. Steve Jobs believed that you should adapt to the way he thinks it should work. Google seems to think you should be able to adapt the device to the way you want it to work. I'm very glad to be able to make my phone mine, and not be forced into a configuration someone else chose for me.

    And, of course, if you've already used iOS for several years there's no learning curve at all. I suspect, however, your wife had some learning curve when switching TO the iPhone, but just doesn't remember. If she were an Android user switching to an iPhone, I suspect she'd be just as frustrated because things wouldn't work the way she's used to, and you can't customize iOS to work that way.


    As far as insults, maybe Crester's "closed-minded" is a little harsh, but read what you wrote: "Basically, she wants an iPhone with a bigger screen and has no interest in extra features, but she doesn't want to install too many apps or 3rd party tweaks. She certainly will not go for a new shell or anything like that." But then you say "she wanted to feel like her new phone was something different again,"

    Wanting an iPhone with a bigger screen doesn't sound like someone who wants something "different." Nor does being unwilling to accept that "different" will require unlearning "same.". Based on your description of what she wants, and is and isn't willing to do, I think there are only two realistic choices: your wife makes a conscious decision that she's willing to actually accept something "different," (and maybe invest some effort into learning and understanding the differences) or she sticks with the iPhone. Making a Galaxy work like an iPhone just isn't in the cards. There's nothing wrong with either decision. As my sig says, choose the device that works best for you. Many millions of people feel that's the iPhone.
    PLEASE, when asking for help provide as much information as possible. We can't help unless we know what the symptoms are and what you did before they began.

    LG G3 on Sprint. [Stumped and Bumped, Debloated, Startup apps managed, Trickster, Nova Prime, Swiftkey, G3 Tweakbox]--> Runs smooth as silk, now.
    crester likes this.
  11. Thread Author  Thread Author    #36  

    Default Re: Help my wife enjoy the phone

    Quote Originally Posted by meyerweb View Post
    Like I said in an earlier post: The strength of Android is in it's flexibility and ability to be customized. The strength of iOS is it's simplicity, which is a direct result of it's lack of flexibility and ability to be customized.

    Android is plenty easy to use. Start it up, click on the icons for the programs you want to use, and they run. Just like on an iPhone. Deleting icons you don't want, and adding ones you do, is extremely simple. It's just DIFFERENT than the way iOS does it. It's only when you want to start changing the default way Android does things that it gets complicated. And if you're trying to change it to work like iOS, you're going to be very frustrated. Accept Android for what it is, and it works just fine. Not like an iPhone, or a Windows phone, or a Mac, but like Android. Just as an iPhone works like itself, not like Android, or Windows, or anything else.

    Oh, definitely not like a Windows phone. The only similarity I see between Android and Windows phones (the old Windows) is that they both offer lots of flexibility. But the interfaces and ways of interacting are completely different.

    iOS is much easier to use because you don't need to learn as much. There simply aren't as many things you can change. That's good for ease of learning, bad for making it suit you. Steve Jobs believed that you should adapt to the way he thinks it should work. Google seems to think you should be able to adapt the device to the way you want it to work. I'm very glad to be able to make my phone mine, and not be forced into a configuration someone else chose for me.

    And, of course, if you've already used iOS for several years there's no learning curve at all. I suspect, however, your wife had some learning curve when switching TO the iPhone, but just doesn't remember. If she were an Android user switching to an iPhone, I suspect she'd be just as frustrated because things wouldn't work the way she's used to, and you can't customize iOS to work that way.


    As far as insults, maybe Crester's "closed-minded" is a little harsh, but read what you wrote: "Basically, she wants an iPhone with a bigger screen and has no interest in extra features, but she doesn't want to install too many apps or 3rd party tweaks. She certainly will not go for a new shell or anything like that." But then you say "she wanted to feel like her new phone was something different again,"

    Wanting an iPhone with a bigger screen doesn't sound like someone who wants something "different." Nor does being unwilling to accept that "different" will require unlearning "same.". Based on your description of what she wants, and is and isn't willing to do, I think there are only two realistic choices: your wife makes a conscious decision that she's willing to actually accept something "different," (and maybe invest some effort into learning and understanding the differences) or she sticks with the iPhone. Making a Galaxy work like an iPhone just isn't in the cards. There's nothing wrong with either decision. As my sig says, choose the device that works best for you. Many millions of people feel that's the iPhone.
    My intention here is certainly not to argue the relative merits of the phones (in fact, I would have bought an SIII for myself if it was supported by my firm) but I really do think the phone is pretty complicated. For example, my wife wanted to set the notification sounds, so she went into settings-sounds and the only choices were ringtone and general notifications. She thought this meant that you could only have one sound for all notifications, which would be terrible. Then a friend explained that you set all the sounds in the settings screens for each app. Eventually we figured out that you access these screens by pressing a button that is only visible when it happens to light up. Once you know how to do it, its ok, but it is much less user friendly than the iOS sounds menu which lets you set ring, sms, voicemail, mail, facebook, calendar, reminder, etc. tones on a single screen.

    She was also annoyed because there is no hard toggle for mute like on the iphone. No problem, I thought, and I proceeded to set up a widget that would be a settings shortcut. . . but you could only link to sounds, not the sub settings within it.

    Then, while playing around with the browser she got a notification, and had no idea what it could be. It turned out it was a gchat message from someone she emails with but would not want to directly message like that. The phone had logged her into gchat without her knowledge.

    Do these things make the phone bad? Of course not. But it is hardly a self explanatory, easy to use experience right out of the box. By comparison, it took her maybe 10 minutes to learn all she needed to know about her palm, bb and apple phones. She never learned how to do advanced things on any of them, but she didn't care to, and they worked easily for her. It seems to me that android devices have a longer and steeper learning curve, and once you walk that curve you probably know more about the phone than 10 minutes with the iphone gives you, but the flipside is if you don't care to learn more about it, that 10 minute experience doesn't seem to be available.

    edit: And I really do think it feels like windows mobile. Lots of menus. More going on on the screen. Even the look of the widgets is very reminiscent of the skins HTC used to produce for those phones.
  12. #37  

    Default Re: Help my wife enjoy the phone

    I played with an iphone for the first time over the holidays (helped my sister-in-law set hers up.) I found it to be somewhat confusing with stuff put in random places.

    Does that make the iphone harder to use than the GS3? No. It just means I'm not familiar with it. Same thing for your wife.

    Tell your wife to just play with the thing for an extended period of time tonight (so she actually sits down and concentrates on memorizing where things are instead of distractedly trying to find something while doing other activities during the day.) Then tell her to just live with it for 3 or 4 days to see if she warms to it.

    If she's still *****ing about it after all that, take it back and get her an iphone. Some people don't like change, or options. That's fine if she doesn't.

    Also, I didn't see it in the responses, but the registering touches bit is an option in developer settings. It shouldn't be on by default, but it looks like it is on hers. To turn it off, go Menu->Developer options-> then make sure both "Show pointer location" and "Show touches" are unchecked.

    -Suntan
  13. #38  

    Default Re: Help my wife enjoy the phone

    4. settings /developer options/uncheck show touches
  14. #39  

    Default Re: Help my wife enjoy the phone

    Space, I'm not going to argue this any more, but for the most part what the you describe is different, not worse, better, harder or easier. Finally, I'm not sure what you mean by a "hard toggle", but I already explained how to very simply and easily switch between sound, vibrate and silent without installing a widget. If sliding down the notification screen and tapping an icon is too hard, I don't know what to say.....
    PLEASE, when asking for help provide as much information as possible. We can't help unless we know what the symptoms are and what you did before they began.

    LG G3 on Sprint. [Stumped and Bumped, Debloated, Startup apps managed, Trickster, Nova Prime, Swiftkey, G3 Tweakbox]--> Runs smooth as silk, now.
    crester likes this.
  15. #40  
    kjjb0204's Avatar

    Posts
    348 Posts
    Global Posts
    2,936 Global Posts
    ROM
    CleanRom 5.5

    Default Re: Help my wife enjoy the phone

    Show her all of the different vibration pattern settings for phone rings and you'll suddenly notice her becoming happier and happier with the sgs3. She'll probably start losing weight and taking better care of herself too. Sorry, couldn't resist! All in fun.
  16. #41  

    Default Re: Help my wife enjoy the phone

    Quote Originally Posted by Ricky Babalu View Post
    I am going to have to agree with most here, that she should return the S3 and get an Iphone. I tried to get my wife, daughter 1, and daughter 2 to get androids. I snapped out of my temporary insanity to discover that if they did get Androids I would be blamed for everything that went wrong, did not work, or did not meet their expectations. In addition, I would be constantly asked "how do you do this" or "why does android not do this", and so on........................I like my peace and quiet and as it stands I have happy girls. You are already seeing the signs of an unhappy wife. Remember the old saying "A happy wife, is a Happy household".
    Now that was a good laugh, thanks for this,lol
  17. #42  
    badbrad17's Avatar

    Posts
    3,266 Posts
    ROM
    Stock JB 4.4 Rooted

    Default Re: Help my wife enjoy the phone

    Quote Originally Posted by spacekungfuman View Post
    Yesterday my wife picked up the SIII after being an iPhone user for the last 2 years (iPhone 4). She loved her iPhone but liked the bigger screen, so she decided to try out the SIII and she absolutely hates it so far. I convinced her to give it a few days before returning it, and I'm hoping people here can help with her complaints:
    I will start by saying that some of the suggestions by people have been good, but I would like to chime in here for a second in order to hopefully shed a bit more detailed light on the situation. Number one, if your wife is like mine, she hates change. This is just a fact with some people. My wife currently has a Blackberry and has tried my phone but didn't like it because of the touch screen. Habits die hard, so I would encourage her that you can make her happy with a few changes if she is willing to let you take a day to do some adjustments on her S3.

    In order to accomplish what she wants you would have to install a custom launcher. I prefer Nova Launcher, but Go Launcher has more available themes which will help the look and feel she is looking for. Go Launcher will in no way make her S3 lesser of a phone or more complicated. If anything it will make things more suited to her needs. If she wants the phone to be an exact duplicate of the iPhone then you are never going to make her happy, but with a few tweaks you should be able to set up her phone to operate very close to the experience she wants and still allow her to take advantage of the big screen. If you are not willing to make some of these changes you should return the phone and get her a iPhone 5.
    Go Launcher: https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...51bGwsMSwyLDNd

    1. She wants to see previews of her messages on the lock screen.
    The only way she can have her messages viewable on the lock screen is to buy a Nexus 4 or to disable the lock screen and use Go SMS. Go SMS is a free app that works well with the GO Launcher and allows the pop up messaging. If she wants the lock screen on then she would need to slide to unlock the screen if she wants to see it. Go SMS also has an iPhone theme which will be perfectly suited to what she is used to. Installation is simple. and you can download the iPhone theme and change it in the settings options.
    Get Go SMS: https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...5qYi5nb3NtcyJd
    iPhone Theme: https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...ZS5pcGhvbmUiXQ..

    2. She wants an easy way to put the phone on silent or vibrate (she really misses the hard toggle on iOS).
    Download "silent toggle widget" it is a small button that switches from on to silent to vibrate by just clicking it. It's excellent. Or if she wants more toggle options I would suggest the Go Switch widget or Widgetsoid. These allow you to customize multiple options for turning off wifi, data, bluetooth, sync, volume/vibrate/silent etc.

    Get Silent Toggle widget: https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...2xld2lkZ2V0Il0.

    Get Go Switch: https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...Y2h3aWRnZXQiXQ..

    Get Widgetsoid: https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...mNvbS5qaW0yIl0.

    3. She hates having multiple home screens. She wants to just have 1 or 2 with a grid of apps and nothing else.
    If you install Go Launcher or Nova you can limit the number of screens.

    4. She doesn't like the dot that shows where your finger was.
    You can turn this off or customize it in Go Launcher or Nova.

    5. She doesn't like having g chat on the phone. Can it be deleted?
    Delete the icon if it's on her screen and don't set it up and you should be fine. You may also be able to disable it in your app settings.

    6. She finds the phone to generally be confusing with so many settings menus. Is there a way to have a single settings screen that covers everything like iPhone?
    Remove anything from the screens that she is not using. When you install Go Launcher you will have a bunch of suggested Go apps that are not installed. You can just delete these from the screen. You can basically start fresh and remove anything that you don't like.

    As for the general settings. They are in one section for the overall portion of the phone which is similar to the iPhone settings area. This is accessed from the notification area or the app drawer. But as others have mentioned, each app does allow further control which can be helpful if you want to change something. If she is not wanting to change anything then just leave things as default and ignore them.

    Basically, she wants an iPhone with a bigger screen and has no interest in extra features, but she doesn't want to install too many apps or 3rd party tweaks.
    This is a difficult one. She can't expect a completely different device to be exactly like her old device unless she is willing to make some adjustments. It's like buying a Lexus and saying you wish you had a your old BMW. Go launcher has themes that mimic the iPhone look and feel so you can download them and try different themes. Your original stock Touchwiz look and feel is not effected by what you install in Go launcher, so if after playing with Go Launcher you don't like the results you can always uninstall it and go back to the stock Touchwiz launcher and carry on.

    Here are some iPhone Themes you can check out, but you can also search for more in the play store:
    https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...9sYXVuY2hlciJd

    https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...m9leGFtcGxlIl0.

    https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...mEuaXBob25lIl0.


    I hope this helps a little and I wish you the best of luck.
    Last edited by badbrad17; 01-03-2013 at 04:40 PM.
    Android Evangelist
    HTC Desire + Samsung Galaxy SIIx + Transformer TF101 and Prime + Nexus 4
  18. #43  
    Roffles's Avatar

    Posts
    67 Posts
    Global Posts
    93 Global Posts

    Default Re: Help my wife enjoy the phone

    Quote Originally Posted by spacekungfuman View Post
    Seriously? You're insulting my wife on a forum about cell phones? Not liking a cell phone that is undoubtedly more complicated than others means you are closed minded? Stop taking this so seriously. It's a cell phone. . .

    I am a tech guy (big into gadgets, programming background, even had my own startup) and I don't think the design is user friendly either. It reminds me very strongly of the windows mobile phones I used to use, and like them, it demands a fairly high level of knowledge about the phone and plenty or tweaks or other user involvement in order to perform well. iOS is much less customizable, but the upside is that you know it is just how it is and it works, so there is nothing to do with the phone other than use it, vs potentially becoming paralyzed by the need to keep tweaking when you are given the option. At least that is how I look at it.
    Seriously? You start a topic that essentially states, "my wife wants her gs3 to be just like an iPhone" and you take issue with her being called out for obviously being close minded? That's hardly an insult as much as it's a completely obvious fact. I mean, the very fact that you added the complaint of a lacking physical mute button and not realizing muting is done by long pressing the power button shows that neither one of you know squat about using Android OS. And enabling touch response in developer options, not realizing you enabled it and then adding it to your list of complaints??????? It's almost like you're trolling.

    I'm tired of tech illiterate people (who claim to be tech savvy when they obviously aren't) knocking the design of Android. I find the menus, options and configuration systems of Jelly Bean to be 100% intuitive and the ability to customize everything is just the gravy on top. So I would agree that anyone complaining about it is close minded and not giving it a change.
  19. #44  
    kjjb0204's Avatar

    Posts
    348 Posts
    Global Posts
    2,936 Global Posts
    ROM
    CleanRom 5.5

    Default Re: Help my wife enjoy the phone

    Quote Originally Posted by spacekungfuman View Post
    Yesterday my wife picked up the SIII after being an iPhone user for the last 2 years (iPhone 4). She loved her iPhone but liked the bigger screen, so she decided to try out the SIII and she absolutely hates it so far. I convinced her to give it a few days before returning it, and I'm hoping people here can help with her complaints:

    1. She wants to see previews of her messages on the lock screen.

    2. She wants an easy way to put the phone on silent or vibrate (she really misses the hard toggle on iOS). - swipe down the panel and hit the sound toggle to silent. Stock capability.

    3. She hates having multiple home screens. She wants to just have 1 or 2 with a grid of apps and nothing else. - so minimze the home screens by pinching and zooming in, then drag and drop any unwanted screen to the trash. Stock capability.

    4. She doesn't like the dot that shows where your finger was. Disable in settings under Developer options - Input - Show Touches. Stock capability

    5. She doesn't like having g chat on the phone. Can it be deleted? Disable in Settings - Application Manager. If any updates were installed, uninstall updates, then disable app. Stock capability

    6. She finds the phone to generally be confusing with so many settings menus. Is there a way to have a single settings screen that covers everything like iPhone? No, because the iphone settings are sparse and bare. That's the beauty of Android.

    Basically, she wants an iPhone with a bigger screen and has no interest in extra features, but she doesn't want to install too many apps or 3rd party tweaks. She certainly will not go for a new shell or anything like that. That will make her return the phone, probably. Thanks in advance for any suggestions!
    So, other than the sms previews, you don't need any third party apps for anything you are asking to do. I find that people with these complaints simply have not taken the time to just click on each menu setting and choose your preference. If you don't know what it does, read the setting description. It's very intuitive for people that actually read stuff.
    Thanked by:
    crester likes this.
  20. Thread Author  Thread Author    #45  

    Default Re: Help my wife enjoy the phone

    Quote Originally Posted by badbrad17 View Post
    I will start by saying that some of the suggestions by people have been good, but I would like to chime in here for a second in order to hopefully shed a bit more detailed light on the situation. Number one, if your wife is like mine, she hates change. This is just a fact with some people. My wife currently has a Blackberry and has tried my phone but didn't like it because of the touch screen. Habits die hard, so I would encourage her that you can make her happy with a few changes if she is willing to let you take a day to do some adjustments on her S3.

    In order to accomplish what she wants you would have to install a custom launcher. I prefer Nova Launcher, but Go Launcher has more available themes which will help the look and feel she is looking for. Go Launcher will in no way make her S3 lesser of a phone or more complicated. If anything it will make things more suited to her needs. If she wants the phone to be an exact duplicate of the iPhone then you are never going to make her happy, but with a few tweaks you should be able to set up her phone to operate very close to the experience she wants and still allow her to take advantage of the big screen. If you are not willing to make some of these changes you should return the phone and get her a iPhone 5.
    Go Launcher: https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...51bGwsMSwyLDNd

    1. She wants to see previews of her messages on the lock screen.
    The only way she can have her messages viewable on the lock screen is to buy a Nexus 4 or to disable the lock screen and use Go SMS. Go SMS is a free app that works well with the GO Launcher and allows the pop up messaging. If she wants the lock screen on then she would need to slide to unlock the screen if she wants to see it. Go SMS also has an iPhone theme which will be perfectly suited to what she is used to. Installation is simple. and you can download the iPhone theme and change it in the settings options.
    Get Go SMS: https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...5qYi5nb3NtcyJd
    iPhone Theme: https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...ZS5pcGhvbmUiXQ..

    2. She wants an easy way to put the phone on silent or vibrate (she really misses the hard toggle on iOS).
    Download "silent toggle widget" it is a small button that switches from on to silent to vibrate by just clicking it. It's excellent. Or if she wants more toggle options I would suggest the Go Switch widget or Widgetsoid. These allow you to customize multiple options for turning off wifi, data, bluetooth, sync, volume/vibrate/silent etc.

    Get Silent Toggle widget: https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...2xld2lkZ2V0Il0.

    Get Go Switch: https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...Y2h3aWRnZXQiXQ..

    Get Widgetsoid: https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...mNvbS5qaW0yIl0.

    3. She hates having multiple home screens. She wants to just have 1 or 2 with a grid of apps and nothing else.
    If you install Go Launcher or Nova you can limit the number of screens.

    4. She doesn't like the dot that shows where your finger was.
    You can turn this off or customize it in Go Launcher or Nova.

    5. She doesn't like having g chat on the phone. Can it be deleted?
    Delete the icon if it's on her screen and don't set it up and you should be fine. You may also be able to disable it in your app settings.

    6. She finds the phone to generally be confusing with so many settings menus. Is there a way to have a single settings screen that covers everything like iPhone?
    Remove anything from the screens that she is not using. When you install Go Launcher you will have a bunch of suggested Go apps that are not installed. You can just delete these from the screen. You can basically start fresh and remove anything that you don't like.

    As for the general settings. They are in one section for the overall portion of the phone which is similar to the iPhone settings area. This is accessed from the notification area or the app drawer. But as others have mentioned, each app does allow further control which can be helpful if you want to change something. If she is not wanting to change anything then just leave things as default and ignore them.

    Basically, she wants an iPhone with a bigger screen and has no interest in extra features, but she doesn't want to install too many apps or 3rd party tweaks.
    This is a difficult one. She can't expect a completely different device to be exactly like her old device unless she is willing to make some adjustments. It's like buying a Lexus and saying you wish you had a your old BMW. Go launcher has themes that mimic the iPhone look and feel so you can download them and try different themes. Your original stock Touchwiz look and feel is not effected by what you install in Go launcher, so if after playing with Go Launcher you don't like the results you can always uninstall it and go back to the stock Touchwiz launcher and carry on.

    Here are some iPhone Themes you can check out, but you can also search for more in the play store:
    https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...9sYXVuY2hlciJd

    https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...m9leGFtcGxlIl0.

    https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...mEuaXBob25lIl0.


    I hope this helps a little and I wish you the best of luck.
    I really appreciate this response, but unfortunately her mind is made up. Last night I made a lot of tweaks to the phone (deleted all but two home screens and populated them with the clock and apps she likes, added a mute widget, added executive assistant for lock screen notifications) and she was happy with it most of the day. Then SMS crashed 3 times in a row and she got frustrated. She also misses the more solid feel of the iPhone and the greater variety of available cases. I'm getting her an iPhone 5 tonight, but at least she knows that she tries both and legitimately prefers the iPhone, even with the smaller screen. For what it's worth, I think it's a great device and am very impressed by how far android has come from when I last really played with it on my (temporarily rooted) nook color.

    Thanks to all who helped. To those who were not, I hope you can stop being so heated or defensive about cell phones.
  21. #46  

    Default Re: Help my wife enjoy the phone

    Saying that she legitimately prefers the iPhone couldn't be further from the truth seeing as she was never really giving Android a shot.

    @BadBrad17: You can get SMS's to go over lock screens with the Glowfly app. Works really well.
  22. #47  
    kjjb0204's Avatar

    Posts
    348 Posts
    Global Posts
    2,936 Global Posts
    ROM
    CleanRom 5.5

    Default Re: Help my wife enjoy the phone

    Nothing wrong with opting for simplicity. Some people just want what's easy and takes no intelligent thought.

    Remember that all these third party apps people are suggesting are not needed for all but one of her concerns.
  23. #48  
    Who?'s Avatar

    Posts
    391 Posts
    Global Posts
    400 Global Posts

    Default Re: Help my wife enjoy the phone

    Nos. 1 and 2 can be solved with WidgetLocker.
  24. #49  
    badbrad17's Avatar

    Posts
    3,266 Posts
    ROM
    Stock JB 4.4 Rooted

    Default Re: Help my wife enjoy the phone

    Quote Originally Posted by DroidN3WB View Post
    Saying that she legitimately prefers the iPhone couldn't be further from the truth seeing as she was never really giving Android a shot.

    @BadBrad17: You can get SMS's to go over lock screens with the Glowfly app. Works really well.
    Thanks for the tip. Appreciate it.

    Sent from my Nexus 4 using Android Central Forums
    Android Evangelist
    HTC Desire + Samsung Galaxy SIIx + Transformer TF101 and Prime + Nexus 4
  25. #50  
    badbrad17's Avatar

    Posts
    3,266 Posts
    ROM
    Stock JB 4.4 Rooted

    Default Re: Help my wife enjoy the phone

    Quote Originally Posted by spacekungfuman View Post
    I really appreciate this response, but unfortunately her mind is made up. Last night I made a lot of tweaks to the phone (deleted all but two home screens and populated them with the clock and apps she likes, added a mute widget, added executive assistant for lock screen notifications) and she was happy with it most of the day. Then SMS crashed 3 times in a row and she got frustrated. She also misses the more solid feel of the iPhone and the greater variety of available cases. I'm getting her an iPhone 5 tonight, but at least she knows that she tries both and legitimately prefers the iPhone, even with the smaller screen. For what it's worth, I think it's a great device and am very impressed by how far android has come from when I last really played with it on my (temporarily rooted) nook color.

    Thanks to all who helped. To those who were not, I hope you can stop being so heated or defensive about cell phones.
    SMS CRASHING 3 times? Really in the 4 years I've used android, I honesty have never had my SMS crash, but whatever floats her boat.

    Sent from my Nexus 4 using Android Central Forums
    Android Evangelist
    HTC Desire + Samsung Galaxy SIIx + Transformer TF101 and Prime + Nexus 4
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. How do I delete ALL my Gmail from the Phone?
    By Harvey Wallbanger in forum Motorola Droid
    Replies: 24
    Last Post: 07-25-2014, 12:01 AM
  2. My Fascinate became the phone I wanted it to be when...
    By RunSilent23 in forum Verizon Fascinate
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 04-04-2011, 05:37 PM
  3. My Wife hates her phone
    By Jaysus in forum Sprint
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 03-23-2011, 09:56 PM
  4. How do I add My Ebay to the phone?
    By buffee in forum AT&T Captivate
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 12-13-2010, 09:23 PM
  5. Replies: 19
    Last Post: 01-11-2010, 08:50 PM

Posting Permissions