Bright, not so bright, then bright again.

slashster

Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
When I awake the phone, its brightness level is dimmed to approximately 50% or less regardless of what level I have it set at. If I pull down the notification menu and toggle autobrightness to On, then back to Off it will reset to the correct selected level.I use it at max brightness for example while it is on charger to test this.
This makes it almost impossible to use the phone outside since it is too dim to unlock unless I use a light.Other times the lock screen will come on then immediately close. This may be related to the cold weather as it doesn't occur while inside.

My "solution" while this has been happening is to place several brightness widgets on a screen and hope I can find them on a dark screen to toggle it back on.Not satisfactory.

I'm running stock, rooted JB on I747 .

1) Autobrightness off . I tried ON but still same problem.

2) Powersaving off I tried ON but still same problem

3) Uninstalled apps such as Lux Free that set brightness levels

4) Changed batteries

It has only started happening in the last week or so_Otherwise the phone has been stellar in the months I've had it. I am not flashing a custom ROM yet as I like the Samsung features.

Any suggestions or ideas on what has caused this problem or on how to fix it ?

Thanks in advance for any and all help.

meyerweb#CB

Banned
Sep 4, 2009
Visit site
Have you installed, or reconfigured, any other apps in the last week or so?

After uninstalling those apps, did you reboot the phone? If not, try that next.

Last edited:

worwig

Dec 29, 2010
Visit site
Why not just leave auto brightness on?

But then you make it sound like you have added some app that is tweaking the brightness in the background.

slashster

Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
The phone rebooted when I changed batteries.

Autobrightness on or off makes no difference, the problem still occurs as stated above.

Uninstalled all apps that controlled brightness, as stated above.

Powersaving and all its features have been turned off and on, makes no difference as stated above.

It is almost empty of apps now as though it was a new phone. It still flickers to a very low level of brightness, even at lock screen. This makes it almost impossible to unlock in under certain lighting conditions.

Still stumped, and the search continues.

*update*

I removed a screen protector and still no difference. This flickering occurs in randomly such as flipping between screens. I've ruled out the effect of weather and temperature as this still happens even while it is on charger in a standard room.

Last edited:

slashster

Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
Finally solved this problem !! I removed the check mark enabling Light Flow .Still had the same problem after rebooting the phone. Next I uninstalled Light Flow and Light Flow Free. Rebooted.No more flicker ! I re-enabled powersaving mode with all features on, installed Flux to control the brightness and everything works smooth as ever.

Nowhere in Light Flow is there a setting regarding brightness level.Still no idea why it was interfering with the brightness level. Not worth buying or installing that app again.

We now return to our normally scheduled broadcast.

meyerweb#CB

Banned
Sep 4, 2009
Visit site
I used LF for a while, and didn't have any issues like this one. I did have the infamous "talkback" bug, that made it pretty useless, though.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DragnDon