Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Like Tree21Likes
    Banned

Global Posts
    5,774 Global Posts
    ROM
    Something JB

Default Re: Are you rooted? Why or why not?

If only there was an app that asked you to give root permissions to another app before it allowed root to be gained before it did anything.

Oh wait there is, so I guess that exploit is pretty moot.

There are a ton of bad reasons to do anything. If you do not download pirate apps and do not just blindly hit allow for everything, you are fine. I know this is a lot to ask from a lot of people (not the poster above specifically) don't get that concept because of all the viruses and windows exploits that are around. Those people are the ones that should never root. If you have just a bit of common sense you are fine.
    Banned

Global Posts
    5,774 Global Posts
    ROM
    Something JB

Quote Originally Posted by Soundtrack to Chaos View Post
    I agree

But at the same time, my only reason for rooting was to get soft keys, and the nexus already has them, so I kinda see where he's coming from lol

Sent from my SPH - L710 running Pac Man Rom 4.1.2, seeder and ktweaker kernel
    We all have different reasons to root. One of my stupid ones is that I like the clock centered. Sometimes I root faster than normal just for that. I mean I was gonna anyway, but still....

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Soundtrack to Chaos View Post
    I agree

But at the same time, my only reason for rooting was to get soft keys, and the nexus already has them, so I kinda see where he's coming from lol

We all have different reasons to root. One of my stupid ones is that I like the clock centered. Sometimes I root faster than normal just for that. I mean I was gonna anyway, but still....

Quote Originally Posted by ibcop View Post
    I'm not rooted as I don't have a effing clue of how to do it. I do see a lot of nice set ups though that folks have posted. I need a "Rooting and Installing ROMs Guide for Dummies".
    What carrier are you on? There are rooting guides in the carrier subforums here on AC. The one for Sprint phones is particularly easy. Make sure you follow the guide for your specific carrier, however. Following the wrong process can brick your phone.

As for why I rooted, it was primarily to be able to tether my tablet on occasion, and to run a few apps that require root. I don't tether often, so it's not worth it to pay the outrageous monthly fee that the carriers charge. But on occasion I find myself needed to connect the tablet when I don't have access to a wi-fi connection. The apps I run that require root mode include Titanium Backup, SetCPU, AdFree and Roam Control.
    Last edited by meyerweb; 01-07-2013 at 08:01 AM.
    PLEASE, when asking for help provide as much information as possible. We can't help unless we know what the symptoms are and what you did before they began.

If I've helped you, please click the "Thanks" button.

Have a Galaxy S3? Click here ==> Everything you wanted to know about your Galaxy S3

Quote Originally Posted by meyerweb View Post
    What carrier are you on? There are rooting guides in the carrier subforums here on AC. The one for Sprint phones is particularly easy. Make sure you follow the guide for your specific carrier, however. Following the wrong process can brick your phone.
    Just wanted to stress this again since new / potential rooters need to know this main rule. Ensure the root guide or ROM is for your carrier. Flashing a ROM that is for another carrier will brick the phone.

Pretty much just research.. Don't just rush through the process and you'll be fine.

Sent from my Sprint S3 using AC forums

I have not rooted my S3. I did root my Droid X thanks to crappy updates from VZ that I feel ruined the phone. If and when my S3 gets to that point I will consider rooting. As long as everything works (as much as JB allows it to) I'm fine with the phone the way it is.

Not rooted, and don't want to be. Why screw up a good thing?

--Tapatalk on Samsung GS3.
    Samsung Galaxy S3 4gLTE

To remove unwanted ads. They killed my battery!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Android Central Forums

Global Posts
    260 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock Rooted

I am not rooted. Reason why is because I don't have that many reasons to need to root which right now is to block ads & get better battery life. Other than that I'm happy unrooted.
    Did I help you at all? Return the favor by giving me a "thanks"
    LG Rumor -> LG Rumor Touch -> LG Optimus S (Cyanogenmod 7.2 on 2.3.5) -> Samsung Galaxy S3 (MK3 Barebones on 4.3) -> LG Nexus 5 (Carbon Nightlies on 4.4.2)

Quote Originally Posted by ansextra View Post
    I have not rooted my S3. I did root my Droid X thanks to crappy updates from VZ that I feel ruined the phone. If and when my S3 gets to that point I will consider rooting. As long as everything works (as much as JB allows it to) I'm fine with the phone the way it is.
    I feel the same way you do!

I had rooted my Epic 4G (Galaxy 1) when I knew that it wouldn't be supported anymore. I will do the same for my S3 as well except it actually works very well stock for me. When support ends and if I feel that I can get it to perform better by rooting it, I will. If it works well stock, I won't. I don't mind rooting but its the constant up keeping that starts to become a drag after awhile. Perhaps its just me being lazy, I don't know...lol!

There's really nothing to "keep up" when rooting. If you want to flash new ROMs, then maybe. Rooting is a prerequisite for flashing new ROMs, but not the same thing.
    PLEASE, when asking for help provide as much information as possible. We can't help unless we know what the symptoms are and what you did before they began.

If I've helped you, please click the "Thanks" button.

Have a Galaxy S3? Click here ==> Everything you wanted to know about your Galaxy S3

Quote Originally Posted by AxlMyk View Post
    Not rooted, and don't want to be. Why screw up a good thing?

--Tapatalk on Samsung GS3.
    LOL

Android is a tune up sports car with custom interior, sound system, and IOS is a stock model benz

I use Android, because unlike IOS, i keep my apps in app drawers, and not infinitely cluttered homescreens
    Recordist

ROM
    Peach Sunrise 3.01

I've rooted my last 3 phones, including my GS3, which I rooted the day I got it.

You never know when you'll need it for something. Example: I use Swiftkey 3 as my default keyboard. As of Jellybean, there is an issue where every reboot switches back to the default keyboard. People are complaining about it on the Swiftkey forums and reviews. The solution for me was to use Titanium Backup to freeze the stock Samsung keyboard. Problem solved.

In general though, I like to make Nandroid backups so I can easily restore my phone. And I like to fiddle with custom ROMs. Though I really like Touchwiz and the stock firmware this time around, so I haven't yet done it. But I'm starting to get the itch. For me that's that's one of the fun aspects of Android. I would never want to give up that freedom.

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Tapatalk 2
    Thanked by:
    Banned

Global Posts
    5,774 Global Posts
    ROM
    Something JB

Yeah I was wondering what keeping up was too considering there is nothing to it

Sent from the nexus of the Android world, the SGS3.

I'm going to root my Droid Charge right now to eliminate apps that I don't want. Blockbuster, Kindle, Guitar Hero, etc. I want a fast phone.
    Banned

Global Posts
    5,774 Global Posts
    ROM
    Something JB

Wow, that thing is so much better rooted and with a different rom. I am surprised you waited this long

Quote Originally Posted by meyerweb View Post
    There's really nothing to "keep up" when rooting. If you want to flash new ROMs, then maybe. Rooting is a prerequisite for flashing new ROMs, but not the same thing.
    Quote Originally Posted by piizzadude View Post
    Yeah I was wondering what keeping up was too considering there is nothing to it

When I was on CM9 betas, there were ALWAYS bugs here and there. Basically, I was the ginea pig but I STILL didn't care since IMO, it made my phone perform better than stock. So when I would install an upgrade, I didn't know what would work and what wouldn't, so I had to 'keep up' with it as far as being on the forums and knowing what was possibly working and wasn't. This was 2 years ago! I don't know what the state of rooting is today since I'm not rooted with my S3 but I'm willing to bet that its still the same. People need to be aware of what the trade offs are. I currently feel that the trade off isn't worth it....at least not yet, for me.
    Banned

Global Posts
    5,774 Global Posts
    ROM
    Something JB

Quote Originally Posted by GrooveRite View Post
    When I was on CM9 betas, there were ALWAYS bugs here and there. Basically, I was the ginea pig but I STILL didn't care since IMO, it made my phone perform better than stock. So when I would install an upgrade, I didn't know what would work and what wouldn't, so I had to 'keep up' with it as far as being on the forums and knowing what was possibly working and wasn't. This was 2 years ago! I don't know what the state of rooting is today since I'm not rooted with my S3 but I'm willing to bet that its still the same. People need to be aware of what the trade offs are. I currently feel that the trade off isn't worth it....at least not yet, for me.
    Yeah but that is not just rooting. You ran a custom rom, and from the sounds of it a beta/cm nightlies so yeah you had to keep up with them.

If you just root and leave the stock software on there is none of what you went through.

There is no upkeep to just being rooted. When you run custom roms sometimes there is.

Quote Originally Posted by nolittdroid View Post
    I've had the S3 for a month and I'm starting to think about rooting. The phone is pretty sick stock...aside from bloatware and bad battery life.

Why are you rooted?

Sent from my S3 on ACS
    Quote Originally Posted by nolittdroid View Post
    I usually employ the help of a friend...otherwise I dont trust myself!

Sent from my S3 on ACS
    Don't take this the wrong way, but if you're not sure why you would want to root, then you probably shouldn't. The reasons to do it should be obvious to you if it something worth doing.

While there are a number of things that rooting allows you do, there's also an inherent assumption of responsibility that goes with it.
    GrooveRite likes this.

I did it for a couple of reasons.

1) To run "Ad Free Android" and get rid of the ads.

2) Titanium Backup. To backup apps and freeze system apps.

3) To get the wifi toggle in its rightful place and get rid of the ugly green layout.

4) Run Sixaxis controller to use a DSIII controller wirelessly.

-Suntan

Quote Originally Posted by Ticojpunk View Post
    I've rooted my last 3 phones, including my GS3, which I rooted the day I got it.

You never know when you'll need it for something. Example: I use Swiftkey 3 as my default keyboard. As of Jellybean, there is an issue where every reboot switches back to the default keyboard. People are complaining about it on the Swiftkey forums and reviews. The solution for me was to use Titanium Backup to freeze the stock Samsung keyboard. Problem solved.

In general though, I like to make Nandroid backups so I can easily restore my phone. And I like to fiddle with custom ROMs. Though I really like Touchwiz and the stock firmware this time around, so I haven't yet done it. But I'm starting to get the itch. For me that's that's one of the fun aspects of Android. I would never want to give up that freedom.

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Tapatalk 2
    When I reboot my keyboard remains at whatever the keyboard was prior to rebooting. I am currently using the Swiftkey Flow beta.
    Banned

Global Posts
    5,774 Global Posts
    ROM
    Something JB

It is a legit issue. I don't have it but I am not running stock either. I have seen it mentioned a few times.

Ok Here's the deal. If finally made the switch, I'm no longer an apple user. I switched to my first droid phone the Galaxy Note 2 and I love it. I should have made the switch long ago. I was yoda at jailbreaking, tunneling ssh, and using the command line. But now I'm starting all over again and I guess a noob. It's ok, I catch on real quick. So can someone give me advice on how I can get up to speed on the droid platform. I know Linux but I want more in depth knowledge on this phone. I want to know it all before rooting it. Any tips? Thanks. Droid fan for life.....

Quote Originally Posted by piizzadude View Post
    If you just root and leave the stock software on there is none of what you went through.
    Wheres the fun in that?!?!? lol! Besides keeping touchwiz features, why would you do that?? I would root because I'm not happy with it stock. I suppose this is all subjective.

Quote Originally Posted by GrooveRite View Post
    Wheres the fun in that?!?!? lol! Besides keeping touchwiz features, why would you do that?? I would root because I'm not happy with it stock. I suppose this is all subjective.
    I run the stock ROM (slightly modified) with Nova running over top. I never bothered to look for a completely different ROM because it does what I want it to as is. There is more to rooting than just trying out ROMs that are self-proclaimed as "the raddest" "Most awesome" "super optimized for speed with amazing battery tweaks" etc. etc.

-Suntan

Quote Originally Posted by Suntan View Post
    I run the stock ROM (slightly modified) with Nova running over top. I never bothered to look for a completely different ROM because it does what I want it to as is. There is more to rooting than just trying out ROMs that are self-proclaimed as "the raddest" "Most awesome" "super optimized for speed with amazing battery tweaks" etc. etc.

-Suntan
    Any trades off by running it slightly modified such as reboots, broken voicemail, etc.?? These things btw would make me want to look for a more stable rom.
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast