Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 109
Like Tree21Likes
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

    Default Are you rooted? Why or why not?

    I've had the S3 for a month and I'm starting to think about rooting. The phone is pretty sick stock...aside from bloatware and bad battery life.


    Why are you rooted?


    Sent from my S3 on ACS
    Sent from my S3
  2. #2  

    Default Re: Are you rooted? Why or why not?

    Because ehm... I like to play around. Sometimes with baaaaad results but hey, thats learning by doing . I rooted because I wanted the newest Android version on it. Simple as that.
    But we never gonna survive unless we get a little crazy...
    Thanked by:
  3. #3  

    Default Re: Are you rooted? Why or why not?

    I rooted my S3 last night so I can tether my Nexus 10 to it. I was so timid for so long, for I for I was afraid I would brick my phone. I rooted in no time and now I can't believe I waited so long.

    Sent from my SPH-L710 using Android Central Forums
    Thanked by:
  4. #4  

    Default Re: Are you rooted? Why or why not?

    Why am I rooted? Simple, no device should have hardware keys, they are unnecessary

    Wanted soft keys like the nexus

    Sent from my SPH - L710 running Pac Man Rom 4.1.2, seeder and ktweaker kernel
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Are you rooted? Why or why not?-uploadfromtaptalk1357513576554.jpg  
    Thanked by:
    RisaChan likes this.
  5. #5  

    Default Re: Are you rooted? Why or why not?

    Mine is mainly because I like having full administrative rights to my phone so I can always do something if I want. Such as I like being able to browse all the system files... Why? Well for things like disabling camera sounds and stuff

    Sent from my Sprint S3 using AC forums
    Rodawg71 likes this.
  6. #6  
    piizzadude's Avatar
    Banned

    Posts
    5,768 Posts
    Global Posts
    5,774 Global Posts
    ROM
    Something JB

    Default Re: Are you rooted? Why or why not?

    Quote Originally Posted by Soundtrack to Chaos View Post
    Why am I rooted? Simple, no device should have hardware keys, they are unnecessary

    Wanted soft keys like the nexus

    Sent from my SPH - L710 running Pac Man Rom 4.1.2, seeder and ktweaker kernel
    Love the wallpaper and clock setup. Onscreen keys suck though but to each his own

    Sent from my PMID1000B using Tapatalk HD
  7. #7  
    gwappa's Avatar

    Posts
    181 Posts
    Global Posts
    184 Global Posts

    Default Re: Are you rooted? Why or why not?

    I rooted because I wanted Beats Audio, Titanium Backup and Cerberus Anti Theft, oh and a custom kernel that makes phone run faster with less battery.
    Thanked by:
    mtech5 likes this.
  8. #8  
    funkylogik's Avatar

    Posts
    9,694 Posts
    Global Posts
    9,696 Global Posts
    ROM
    touchejiz

    Default Re: Are you rooted? Why or why not?

    I run a stock JB 4.1.2 but rooted with a custom kernel.
    All i like is to be able to freeze/uninstall system apps (bloat)
    Overclocking was fine but the phone runs fine at stock CPU speed for me.
    Also u can get apps that hide ad's from apps, games.
    And most of all, you can back up app settings.... amazing feature if u gota reset well worthwhile :beer:


    Unbranded international rooted s3 with Official 4.1.2 JB. Paisley, Scotland, Western Europe :beer:
    GT-I9300, UK
    Thanked by:
  9. #9  

    Default Re: Are you rooted? Why or why not?

    Quote Originally Posted by piizzadude View Post
    Love the wallpaper and clock setup. Onscreen keys suck though but to each his own

    Sent from my PMID1000B using Tapatalk HD
    Lmao, better than having to press your physical home button for ten years to open your recent apps manager, when I can just press my recent button for it, lol

    And I can take a screen shot by holding my notification button on my nav bar

    And did I forget to mention that not only so I have soft keys, but widgets in my navigation bar?

    Are you rooted? Why or why not?-uploadfromtaptalk1357515391622.jpg

    Are you rooted? Why or why not?-uploadfromtaptalk1357515401398.jpg

    Are you rooted? Why or why not?-uploadfromtaptalk1357515409540.jpg


    Much more function than some useless hardware keys

    Sent from my SPH - L710 running Pac Man Rom 4.1.2, seeder and ktweaker kernel
  10. #10  

    Default Re: Are you rooted? Why or why not?

    Quote Originally Posted by gwappa View Post
    I rooted because I wanted Beats Audio, Titanium Backup and Cerberus Anti Theft, oh and a custom kernel that makes phone run faster with less battery.
    Does the beats audio work with podcasts and stuff too or just music?

    Too scared to flash due to all the bad Samsung galaxy s3 reviews in the play store

    Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk HD
  11. #11  
    piizzadude's Avatar
    Banned

    Posts
    5,768 Posts
    Global Posts
    5,774 Global Posts
    ROM
    Something JB

    Default Re: Are you rooted? Why or why not?

    Yeah I do not recommend it at all. Get dsp manager. I have seen too many issues with beats for it to actually be worth it.

    Sent from the nexus of the Android world, the SGS3.
  12. #12  
    ibcop's Avatar

    Posts
    1,726 Posts
    Global Posts
    4,347 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

    Default Re: Are you rooted? Why or why not?

    I'm not rooted as I don't have a effing clue of how to do it. I do see a lot of nice set ups though that folks have posted. I need a "Rooting and Installing ROMs Guide for Dummies".
  13. #13  

    Default Re: Are you rooted? Why or why not?

    Quote Originally Posted by ibcop View Post
    I'm not rooted as I don't have a effing clue of how to do it. I do see a lot of nice set ups though that folks have posted. I need a "Rooting and Installing ROMs Guide for Dummies".
    YouTube search how to root sprint samsung galaxy S3

    Sent from my SPH - L710 running Pac Man Rom 4.1.2, seeder and ktweaker kernel
  14. #14  
    Rodawg71's Avatar

    Posts
    76 Posts
    ROM
    TSBB 3.0.3/imo-5.1

    Default Re: Are you rooted? Why or why not?

    Quote Originally Posted by Almeuit View Post
    Mine is mainly because I like having full administrative rights to my phone so I can always do something if I want. Such as I like being able to browse all the system files... Why? Well for things like disabling camera sounds and stuff

    Sent from my Sprint S3 using AC forums
    This ^^^^

    sent from a Galaxy S3 near you
  15. #15  
    KreepyKen's Avatar
    Just a cool guy

    Posts
    389 Posts
    ROM
    Unrooted with Nova Prime

    Default Re: Are you rooted? Why or why not?

    I'm not rooted. Don't see the need. I'm happy with the way the phone works. We got JB relatively quickly.

    I did root my old Captivate for three reasons: (1) because it refused to update to Gingerbread (Kies on old Mac didn't work for sh*t); (2) so I could have Swype Beta (it came with some ungodly old version of Swype and wouldn't let me have both); and (3) because the GPS sucked monkey **** and I wanted to tinker with it to see if I could improve it (I couldn't, btw). With the S3, I can have both official Swype and Swype Beta installed at the same time, I have official JB, and the GPS is perfect.

    One bit of caution with rooted phones: some apps are written not to work if your phone is rooted. I believe you can't watch videos you rent/buy through Google Play on a rooted phone And if you ever want to use ISIS, Google Wallet, or some other NFC payment technology, I'm 99.9% sure those apps will not run on rooted phones (for obvious security reasons). Plus, with root access, you literally have access to everything on that phone...so if you delete something by accident, you can render your phone inoperable.
    kurosenpai likes this.
  16. #16  
    piizzadude's Avatar
    Banned

    Posts
    5,768 Posts
    Global Posts
    5,774 Global Posts
    ROM
    Something JB

    Default Re: Are you rooted? Why or why not?

    True on the root things and apps but there is app now called root keeper that let's you essentially freeze root when you need to use an app like that then unfreeze it when you want to go back to rooted.

    Sent from the nexus of the Android world, the SGS3.
  17. #17  
    funkylogik's Avatar

    Posts
    9,694 Posts
    Global Posts
    9,696 Global Posts
    ROM
    touchejiz

    Default Re: Are you rooted? Why or why not?

    @chaos. AYE, onscreen nav' keys are DUMB when u have them on the bezel......


    Unbranded international rooted s3 with Official 4.1.2 JB. Paisley, Scotland, Western Europe :beer:
    GT-I9300, UK
  18. #18  
    piizzadude's Avatar
    Banned

    Posts
    5,768 Posts
    Global Posts
    5,774 Global Posts
    ROM
    Something JB

    Default Re: Are you rooted? Why or why not?

    Quote Originally Posted by Soundtrack to Chaos View Post
    Lmao, better than having to press your physical home button for ten years to open your recent apps manager, when I can just press my recent button for it, lol

    And I can take a screen shot by holding my notification button on my nav bar

    And did I forget to mention that not only so I have soft keys, but widgets in my navigation bar?

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	uploadfromtaptalk1357515391622.jpg 
Views:	217 
Size:	95.6 KB 
ID:	55962

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	uploadfromtaptalk1357515401398.jpg 
Views:	218 
Size:	94.7 KB 
ID:	55964

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	uploadfromtaptalk1357515409540.jpg 
Views:	216 
Size:	93.9 KB 
ID:	55965


    Much more function than some useless hardware keys

    Sent from my SPH - L710 running Pac Man Rom 4.1.2, seeder and ktweaker kernel
    At first I had serious hatred for on screen keys, but like other things you get used to them. I have a basically stock tablet with no keys and they themselves are not bad.

    What is stupid is that no matter what they take up space and I would rather have the screen real estate.

    My example is the n4. You have a 4.7 inch screen, but only 4.41 of usable space. If I buy 4.7 I want all 4.7 inches for whatever. If you want to take the bezel and replace it with onscreen keys and say something to the effects of it is a 5'' screen with 4.8'' of usable space I am fine with that.

    Sent from the nexus of the Android world, the SGS3.
    Thanked by:
    Ticojpunk likes this.
  19. #19  

    Default Re: Are you rooted? Why or why not?

    Quote Originally Posted by funkylogik View Post
    @chaos. AYE, onscreen nav' keys are DUMB when u have them on the bezel......


    Unbranded international rooted s3 with Official 4.1.2 JB. Paisley, Scotland, Western Europe :beer:
    Not really, I can have up to 5 soft keys and I can have multiple actions for each

    While with the galaxy s3, I only have 3 keys, lol

    Sent from my Google Nexus 7 running aokp 4.1.2, because there is no PacMan rom for the nexus
  20. #20  

    Default Re: Are you rooted? Why or why not?

    Quote Originally Posted by piizzadude View Post
    At first I had serious hatred for on screen keys, but like other things you get used to them. I have a basically stock tablet with no keys and they themselves are not bad.

    What is stupid is that no matter what they take up space and I would rather have the screen real estate.

    My example is the n4. You have a 4.7 inch screen, but only 4.41 of usable space. If I buy 4.7 I want all 4.7 inches for whatever. If you want to take the bezel and replace it with onscreen keys and say something to the effects of it is a 5'' screen with 4.8'' of usable space I am fine with that.

    Sent from the nexus of the Android world, the SGS3.
    I see what ur saying, that's just a design flaw, manufacturers will catch up soon

    Sent from my Google Nexus 7 running aokp 4.1.2, because there is no PacMan rom for the nexus
  21. #21  

    Default Re: Are you rooted? Why or why not?

    No, because I have a Nexus device and see no reason to root'
  22. #22  
    piizzadude's Avatar
    Banned

    Posts
    5,768 Posts
    Global Posts
    5,774 Global Posts
    ROM
    Something JB

    Default Re: Are you rooted? Why or why not?

    So your never gonna change roms or backup anything? I guess and plain Jane phone will do then...

    Sent from the nexus of the Android world, the SGS3.
  23. #23  

    Default Re: Are you rooted? Why or why not?

    Quote Originally Posted by piizzadude View Post
    So your never gonna change roms or backup anything? I guess and plain Jane phone will do then...

    Sent from the nexus of the Android world, the SGS3.
    I agree

    But at the same time, my only reason for rooting was to get soft keys, and the nexus already has them, so I kinda see where he's coming from lol

    Sent from my SPH - L710 running Pac Man Rom 4.1.2, seeder and ktweaker kernel
  24. Thread Author  Thread Author    #24  

    Default Re: Are you rooted? Why or why not?

    I usually employ the help of a friend...otherwise I dont trust myself!

    Sent from my S3 on ACS
    Sent from my S3
  25. #25  
    zwj1234's Avatar

    Posts
    328 Posts
    Global Posts
    332 Global Posts

    Default Re: Are you rooted? Why or why not?

    I do not root Samsung galaxy s3. The reason is:
    Thanked by:
Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 14
    Last Post: 11-30-2012, 12:46 AM
  2. Did you root your N7? Why or why not?
    By jrwatson in forum Google Nexus 7 Tablet (2012)
    Replies: 30
    Last Post: 10-15-2012, 07:00 AM
  3. Are You Rooted Or Not?
    By RUSH in forum Software Development and Hacking
    Replies: 29
    Last Post: 05-03-2011, 06:58 PM
  4. are you rooted or not?
    By krdawg10 in forum Verizon Droid Incredible
    Replies: 20
    Last Post: 07-29-2010, 07:28 AM
  5. are you rooted or not?
    By krdawg10 in forum Verizon Droid Incredible
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 07-27-2010, 07:52 PM

Posting Permissions

B