Best USB cigarette lighter adapter for car?

jmaudi0

Sep 29, 2012
Visit site
I need to buy a cigarette lighter adapter for my car (Infiniti G37S). Preferably I want one with a small profile because my cig lighter is in a little compartment with a lid and I'd like to be able to close the lid without having to unplug the adapter. I was looking on Amazon at these 2....any other recommendations?

Amazon.com: iFlash Dual USB Car Lighter Charger Adapter with 3A Output - fast Heavy Duty Ouput - Black Color: MP3 Players & Accessories
Amazon.com: Satechi ST-2412 Car Lighter USB Charger Adapter with Smart Converter for iPad 2 & 3, iPhone 4S & 5, Samsung Galaxy S II & S III, BlackBerry Playbook, HTC Flyer, Android Phones (2.1 AMP): Cell Phones & Accessories (i like the look of this one better but I don't understand if that special converter sticks out farther than the unit itself).

meyerweb#CB

Banned
Sep 4, 2009
Visit site
I have no experience with either, but I'd say that yes, that special converter sticks out further than the unit itself. And, since it says it works with iDevices, I suspect you'd need the converter for it to work properly with an Android phone.

Something to note: Apple devices use a different method to tell the device whether it's connected to a computer or to a stand-alone charger (big surprise that Apple can't follow a standard approach, right?). So a non-Apple device plugged into a charger designed for Apple devices will only charge at 500 mA regardless of what the charger is capable of. Be sure to read the reviews on Amazon and make sure it charges non-Apple devices at the higher charge rate.

worwig

Dec 29, 2010
Visit site
Last edited:

AxlMyk

Sep 12, 2012
Visit site
I bought a lighter plug at Dollar General for 6 bucks. USB plug in it.

--Tapatalk on Samsung GS3.

GrooveRite

Sep 30, 2010
Visit site
I've bought mine off a popular place on the web other than Amazon with better prices to boot!! I'd tell ya but then I'd have to kill ya! :D

EvilMonkey

Jun 4, 2010
Visit site
I got this one from Walmart a few days ago, which has a low profile and dual-USB ports.
Best Case Premium Samsung Dual USB Car Charger: Auto Electronics : Walmart.com

I was impressed with how fast it charged my phone (on the way to work this morning, I went from 10% to 30% during the 30 minute drive, while streaming Pandora with the screen on). Maybe that's good, or maybe it's bad, but it was faster than my old generic charger.

winmod21

Oct 22, 2012
Visit site
I need to buy a cigarette lighter adapter for my car (Infiniti G37S). Preferably I want one with a small profile because my cig lighter is in a little compartment with a lid and I'd like to be able to close the lid without having to unplug the adapter. I was looking on Amazon at these 2....any other recommendations?

Amazon.com: iFlash Dual USB Car Lighter Charger Adapter with 3A Output - fast Heavy Duty Ouput - Black Color: MP3 Players & Accessories
I think this one looks like the best choice, imo. Nice low profile; best overall reviews; the customer that gave the worst review?didn't even understand the specifications?saying: "It boasted two USB ports one at 3 amps ~" :rolleyes: ...when the spec's clearly say: "Output: DC 2.1A + 1A (Total 3.1A Output)."

I wouldn't go with this one, as I recall reading some reviews (a month or so ago, either on this adapter or a duplicate) about that chrome swing-out-handle thingy falling off within the first few weeks of use. Mostly good reviews, but some reviews saying: "Poor quality - shorted fuse in car when it broke apart" & "Broke after 3 months" & "1 of 2 purchase, one has failed after 60 days" etc.-etc.

The 'Smart-Converter' definitely sticks out another inch+ ? it looks to me ? after being inserted, and apparently enhances the charging compatibility (e.g.- enables smartphones to charge at the higher [800?] mAh): "Smart-converter is designed to enhance charging compatibility for smartphones which are powered through Micro USB connector and enables quick charge for your device."

Something to note: Apple devices use a different method to tell the device whether it's connected to a computer or to a stand-alone charger (big surprise that Apple can't follow a standard approach, right?). So a non-Apple device plugged into a charger designed for Apple devices will only charge at 500 mA regardless of what the charger is capable of. Be sure to read the reviews on Amazon and make sure it charges non-Apple devices at the higher charge rate.
This is an interesting note. As I understand it, which I admit isn't to a high degree, you can circumvent this lower "500 mA" charging?whilst using an Apple device charger?by using a "charge only" (non data) USB-to-microUSB cable, such as this one, that we purchased over a month ago; it's been working great with our Apple 30-pin car charger?which has two USB ports on the back-end of the cigarette plug-in adapter?where we plug the above "charge only" (non data) cables in?which then charge our phones at a full 1.0A ('AC', not USB ? per the phones' Settings > Battery) ? just like the stock (AC) outlet charger.
I think these "charge only" (non data) USB-to-microUSB cables (which were only $4.36 when we bought them, 1.5 months ago), are a good way to go whenever using car charger/adapter USB ports, as again, they do charge at the higher ('AC', not USB) 1.0A rate.

Too many bad reviews on this one, for only (11) reviews total, imo.

I bought a lighter plug at Dollar General for 6 bucks. USB plug in it.
This reminds me, I also saw a little low-profile, nearly flush [2.1A -1A per port] cigarette lighter adapter, similar to the iFlash one above, and what looked identical to the ridiculously over-priced $30. one at the AT&T Corp. stores, at a Big Lots store a few weeks ago. If you have any Big Lots stores nearby.... you might check that out.

Last edited:

meyerweb#CB

Banned
Sep 4, 2009
Visit site
This is an interesting note. As I understand it, which I admit isn't to a high degree, you can circumvent this lower "500 mA" charging?whilst using an Apple device charger?by using a "charge only" (non data) USB-to-microUSB cable

That is correct, and I didn't think to mention it. But if someone uses the stock, or most aftermarket data cables, he or she will be limited to the lower rate.

winmod21

Oct 22, 2012
Visit site
anybody know where to buy such a cable?
jmaudi ? I posted links (above) in my previous post; I ordered them from Amazon and payed $4.36/ea., but a few days after I ordered them? the price jumped up to $9.99/ea.
The Puregear micro-USB Charge Cables are high quality, and as mentioned, enable android smartphones to charge at the higher 'AC' charging rate.

jmaudi0

Sep 29, 2012
Visit site
ah sorry i missed that link. (semi-color blind haha...had to scroll my mouse over the words to find the link)

i wonder if best buy or any brick and mortar stores sell them cheap. i only need a 1.5 or 3 ft cable. 5 ft is a little long.

winmod21

Oct 22, 2012
Visit site
Our cables are only 3ft. long, I think. And on the amazon page, the specs at the product 'tech details' also says "approx. 3ft".

I haven't seen anything in the brick & mortar stores ? of the Puregear's quality ? nor at as low of a price. And believe me, I checked a lot of stores!
When they were only at $4.36, I ordered three of them, then one day later, or so, the price jumped to $9.99 . . . so I hope I didn't trigger the price increase! lol Sorry, if I did.

worwig

Dec 29, 2010
Visit site
No reason to buy a special cable or anything.

On your charger, cut a small piece of aluminum foil or copper foil if you have that. Size it to lay on the two middle pins in the USB connector. Lay it in the charger connector over the middle two pins, with a little glue. Done. You have now converted your slow charger (about 300ma) to a fast charger (about 800ma).

I've done it to a couple of them. I usually also glue the USB cable into the charger so the foil doesn't get damaged.
A magnifier helps. But it really isn't that hard. If you know anyone that can solder have them open the charger up and put the short on the center two pins inside.
Most chargers are designed for Apple devices and use a voltage scheme that tells Apple to charge at a high rate. That is of course not what the rest of the world does, Apple being off in their own world and all, so most chargers don't have that short.

funkylogik

May 21, 2012
Visit site
Id just buy one of the cute lil "bullets" from the mall that you plug a usb-micro usb into :)

Unbranded international rooted s3 with Official 4.1.2 JB. Paisley, Scotland, Western Europe :beer:

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SandiR