1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Best USB cigarette lighter adapter for car?

I need to buy a cigarette lighter adapter for my car (Infiniti G37S). Preferably I want one with a small profile because my cig lighter is in a little compartment with a lid and I'd like to be able to close the lid without having to unplug the adapter. I was looking on Amazon at these 2....any other recommendations?

Amazon.com: iFlash Dual USB Car Lighter Charger Adapter with 3A Output - fast Heavy Duty Ouput - Black Color: MP3 Players & Accessories
    Amazon.com: Satechi ST-2412 Car Lighter USB Charger Adapter with Smart Converter for iPad 2 & 3, iPhone 4S & 5, Samsung Galaxy S II & S III, BlackBerry Playbook, HTC Flyer, Android Phones (2.1 AMP): Cell Phones & Accessories (i like the look of this one better but I don't understand if that special converter sticks out farther than the unit itself).

Default Re: Best USB cigarette lighter adapter for car?

I have no experience with either, but I'd say that yes, that special converter sticks out further than the unit itself. And, since it says it works with iDevices, I suspect you'd need the converter for it to work properly with an Android phone.

Something to note: Apple devices use a different method to tell the device whether it's connected to a computer or to a stand-alone charger (big surprise that Apple can't follow a standard approach, right?). So a non-Apple device plugged into a charger designed for Apple devices will only charge at 500 mA regardless of what the charger is capable of. Be sure to read the reviews on Amazon and make sure it charges non-Apple devices at the higher charge rate.
    PLEASE, when asking for help provide as much information as possible. We can't help unless we know what the symptoms are and what you did before they began.

If I've helped you, please click the "Thanks" button.

Have a Galaxy S3? Click here ==> Everything you wanted to know about your Galaxy S3

Global Posts
    759 Global Posts

I bought this.

Amazon.com: GTMax Metalic Black 2-Port USB Car Charger (2000mA) + Universal Wrist Strap Lanyard for Samsung Hercules Sgh-t989, Galaxy S Ii Sgh-i777, Epic Touch 4g D710, Galaxy S2 / SII I9100, i997 Infuse 4G, Galaxy S3 / SIII S9300, Brightside, Strato

It charged at a slow rate as it came. (about 300 ma. on the S3 BTW, not 500)
    I modified it to charge at the high rate. (about 800ma)
    There is no point in getting any charger rated for much over 800ma.
    Last edited by worwig; 01-07-2013 at 10:37 AM.

I bought a lighter plug at Dollar General for 6 bucks. USB plug in it.

--Tapatalk on Samsung GS3.
    Samsung Galaxy S3 4gLTE

I've bought mine off a popular place on the web other than Amazon with better prices to boot!! I'd tell ya but then I'd have to kill ya!

I got this one from Walmart a few days ago, which has a low profile and dual-USB ports.

I was impressed with how fast it charged my phone (on the way to work this morning, I went from 10% to 30% during the 30 minute drive, while streaming Pandora with the screen on). Maybe that's good, or maybe it's bad, but it was faster than my old generic charger.

ROM
    Stock: Unrooted

Quote Originally Posted by jmaudi0 View Post
    I need to buy a cigarette lighter adapter for my car (Infiniti G37S). Preferably I want one with a small profile because my cig lighter is in a little compartment with a lid and I'd like to be able to close the lid without having to unplug the adapter. I was looking on Amazon at these 2....any other recommendations?

Amazon.com: iFlash Dual USB Car Lighter Charger Adapter with 3A Output - fast Heavy Duty Ouput - Black Color: MP3 Players & Accessories
    I think this one looks like the best choice, imo. Nice low profile; best overall reviews; the customer that gave the worst review—didn't even understand the specifications—saying: "It boasted two USB ports one at 3 amps ~" :rolleyes: ...when the spec's clearly say: "Output: DC 2.1A + 1A (Total 3.1A Output)."

I wouldn't go with this one, as I recall reading some reviews (a month or so ago, either on this adapter or a duplicate) about that chrome swing-out-handle thingy falling off within the first few weeks of use. Mostly good reviews, but some reviews saying: "Poor quality - shorted fuse in car when it broke apart" & "Broke after 3 months" & "1 of 2 purchase, one has failed after 60 days" etc.-etc.

The 'Smart-Converter' definitely sticks out another inch+ – it looks to me – after being inserted, and apparently enhances the charging compatibility (e.g.- enables smartphones to charge at the higher [800?] mAh): "Smart-converter is designed to enhance charging compatibility for smartphones which are powered through Micro USB connector and enables quick charge for your device."

Quote Originally Posted by meyerweb View Post
    Something to note: Apple devices use a different method to tell the device whether it's connected to a computer or to a stand-alone charger (big surprise that Apple can't follow a standard approach, right?). So a non-Apple device plugged into a charger designed for Apple devices will only charge at 500 mA regardless of what the charger is capable of. Be sure to read the reviews on Amazon and make sure it charges non-Apple devices at the higher charge rate.
    This is an interesting note. As I understand it, which I admit isn't to a high degree, you can circumvent this lower "500 mA" charging–whilst using an Apple device charger–by using a "charge only" (non data) USB-to-microUSB cable, such as this one, that we purchased over a month ago; it's been working great with our Apple 30-pin car charger—which has two USB ports on the back-end of the cigarette plug-in adapter—where we plug the above "charge only" (non data) cables in—which then charge our phones at a full 1.0A ('AC', not USB – per the phones' Settings > Battery) — just like the stock (AC) outlet charger.
    I think these "charge only" (non data) USB-to-microUSB cables (which were only $4.36 when we bought them, 1.5 months ago), are a good way to go whenever using car charger/adapter USB ports, as again, they do charge at the higher ('AC', not USB) 1.0A rate.

Too many bad reviews on this one, for only (11) reviews total, imo.

Quote Originally Posted by AxlMyk View Post
    I bought a lighter plug at Dollar General for 6 bucks. USB plug in it.
    This reminds me, I also saw a little low-profile, nearly flush [2.1A -1A per port] cigarette lighter adapter, similar to the iFlash one above, and what looked identical to the ridiculously over-priced $30. one at the AT&T Corp. stores, at a Big Lots store a few weeks ago. If you have any Big Lots stores nearby.... you might check that out.
    Last edited by winmod21; 01-07-2013 at 01:26 PM.
  8. Thread Author  Thread Author    #8  

@ Grooverite: thanks for the help................. why did you bother to post?

regardless i think i'm going to try the Amazon.com: iFlash Dual USB Car Lighter Charger Adapter with 3A Output - fast Heavy Duty Ouput - Black Color: MP3 Players & Accessories

I have this one RAVPower® RP-CC01 3.1A Dual USB Car Charger + RP-UC02 2.1A Rapid Dual USB Output Wall Travel. Comes with 2 usb ports and a wall charger too. Been working great with no issues so far.
    If X were here, he would have tried to talk things out first. Unfortunately for you, X isn't here.

@ Grooverite: thanks for the help................. why did you bother to post?
    Ok, you got me. Let me be of help.....

....this is where I've gotten a lot chargers and retractable micro usb cables for my electronics. Good choices at reasonable prices!

I bought this one a few years back. Charges my GSIII fine while streaming music on road trips.

It sits flush in the cig slot, but it can get a might bit hot when charging.

Amazon.com: Belkin Low-profile USB Auto Charger: Cell Phones & Accessories

-Suntan
  12. Thread Author  Thread Author    #12  

monoprice has a single port 2amp charger. i think i'll get this. it's even cheaper.

Quote Originally Posted by winmod21 View Post

This is an interesting note. As I understand it, which I admit isn't to a high degree, you can circumvent this lower "500 mA" charging–whilst using an Apple device charger–by using a "charge only" (non data) USB-to-microUSB cable
    That is correct, and I didn't think to mention it. But if someone uses the stock, or most aftermarket data cables, he or she will be limited to the lower rate.
    PLEASE, when asking for help provide as much information as possible. We can't help unless we know what the symptoms are and what you did before they began.

If I've helped you, please click the "Thanks" button.

Have a Galaxy S3? Click here ==> Everything you wanted to know about your Galaxy S3
  14. Thread Author  Thread Author    #14  

anybody know where to buy such a cable?

ROM

anybody know where to buy such a cable?
    jmaudi — I posted links (above) in my previous post; I ordered them from Amazon and payed $4.36/ea., but a few days after I ordered them– the price jumped up to $9.99/ea.
    The Puregear micro-USB Charge Cables are high quality, and as mentioned, enable android smartphones to charge at the higher 'AC' charging rate.
  16. Thread Author  Thread Author    #16  

ah sorry i missed that link. (semi-color blind haha...had to scroll my mouse over the words to find the link)

i wonder if best buy or any brick and mortar stores sell them cheap. i only need a 1.5 or 3 ft cable. 5 ft is a little long.

ROM

Our cables are only 3ft. long, I think. And on the amazon page, the specs at the product 'tech details' also says "approx. 3ft".

I haven't seen anything in the brick & mortar stores – of the Puregear's quality – nor at as low of a price. And believe me, I checked a lot of stores!
    When they were only at $4.36, I ordered three of them, then one day later, or so, the price jumped to $9.99 . . . so I hope I didn't trigger the price increase! lol Sorry, if I did.

Global Posts
    759 Global Posts

No reason to buy a special cable or anything.

On your charger, cut a small piece of aluminum foil or copper foil if you have that. Size it to lay on the two middle pins in the USB connector. Lay it in the charger connector over the middle two pins, with a little glue. Done. You have now converted your slow charger (about 300ma) to a fast charger (about 800ma).

I've done it to a couple of them. I usually also glue the USB cable into the charger so the foil doesn't get damaged.
    A magnifier helps. But it really isn't that hard. If you know anyone that can solder have them open the charger up and put the short on the center two pins inside.
    Most chargers are designed for Apple devices and use a voltage scheme that tells Apple to charge at a high rate. That is of course not what the rest of the world does, Apple being off in their own world and all, so most chargers don't have that short.

Global Posts
    9,696 Global Posts
    ROM
    touchejiz

Id just buy one of the cute lil "bullets" from the mall that you plug a usb-micro usb into

Unbranded international rooted s3 with Official 4.1.2 JB. Paisley, Scotland, Western Europe :beer:
    GT-I9300, UK
    Banned

Global Posts
    2,980 Global Posts

If I buy a 2.1 amp DC charger, will it charge faster than a 1 amp charger?

No. The phone limits it.

--Tapatalk 2 on SGS3.
    Samsung Galaxy S3 4gLTE
    Banned

Global Posts
    2,980 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by AxlMyk View Post
    No. The phone limits it.

--Tapatalk 2 on SGS3.
    Any idea what the GS3 limits it to? It is my understanding that a dedicated charging cable will charge faster, is this incorrect as well?

Global Posts
    759 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by ItnStln511 View Post
    Any idea what the GS3 limits it to? It is my understanding that a dedicated charging cable will charge faster, is this incorrect as well?
    Yes, I have measured this a few times.
    It is around 0.3 amp if it is attached to a USB port. It is around 0.8 amp when attached to a fast charger (data lines shorted). No point in getting a 5 amp charger.
    Fast charging results from shorting the data lines. This can be done in the charger OR the cable. If you read a couple of posts up I tell how you can modify a charger to make it fast.
    Those amperage number change a little based on the charge in the battery, quality of the wire, and the exact voltage from the charger. I bumped the voltage up on a charger I made for my motorcycle to about 5.2 volts. It can run the display at max while using the GPS and still charge the S3 fairly quickly. It is closer to 0.9 amp max. But attached to the handlebar, it gets plenty of cooling air on it so it is reasonably safe.
    Figure the battery is getting roughly about 20% more current (due to the switching converters dropping the 5 volts to 4 volts) and you can see that a dead 2.1 amp S3 battery can take over 6 hours to charge from a USB port and over about 2 1/4 hours to charger from a charger with the data lines shorted.
    Last edited by worwig; 01-13-2013 at 08:56 AM.