is the GS3's home button prone to cracking/fading?

deevel79

Mar 1, 2012
Visit site
Been to a few Verizon stores to try and decide whether I want to go with the GS3 or a different device and what I am noticing is that every single dispay device I have seen has cracking/chipping/fading on the home button. What's your experience with this?

deevel79

Mar 1, 2012
Visit site
I really love the phone's features but can't get over how cheap if feels compared to other flagship devices. I'm due for an upgrade next week and really want to like this phone. Just doesn't feel like it would hold up to 2yrs of heavy use with its cheap plastic materials. I'm typing this on a company issued Blackberry Bold 9930 and this feels much more solid and premium compared to the SGS3

mhinc

Dec 27, 2012
Visit site
I really love the phone's features but can't get over how cheap if feels compared to other flagship devices. I'm due for an upgrade next week and really want to like this phone. Just doesn't feel like it would hold up to 2yrs of heavy use with its cheap plastic materials. I'm typing this on a company issued Blackberry Bold 9930 and this feels much more solid and premium compared to the SGS3

I went from a Bold 9700 to the Galaxy S3. Don't let the feel deceive you. It is quite tough. Even when I first took the battery backing off I was scared but the plastic is tough as well. You do what you have to do to make a phone streamline these days. I would strongly suggest going to the S3, just get yourself a good case, like a Otterbox Defender, if that's too bulk for you, go with the Commuter.

LegalAmerican

Feb 15, 2012
Visit site
Whatever you do, if you don't like plastic on phones, I recommend going with one of those cast iron devices that are floating around. Samsung needs to get with the times and start making their devices out of a more durable titanium, or cast iron.

As far as the home button, I haven't had any discoloration or durability issues with mine.

AxlMyk

Sep 12, 2012
Visit site
Samsung needs to get with the times and start making their devices out of a more durable titanium, or cast iron.
That's a joke, right? Titanium is super expensive, and cast iron rusts. The case is fine just as it is.

--Tapatalk on Samsung GS3.

funkylogik

May 21, 2012
Visit site
My home button is perfect (white) but i had a skin/decal on it for a few months, though..

Unbranded international rooted s3 with Official 4.1.2 JB. Paisley, Scotland, Western Europe :beer:

funkylogik

May 21, 2012
Visit site
Whatever you do, if you don't like plastic on phones, I recommend going with one of those cast iron devices that are floating around. Samsung needs to get with the times and start making their devices out of a more durable titanium, or cast iron.

As far as the home button, I haven't had any discoloration or durability issues with mine.

Lmao

Unbranded international rooted s3 with Official 4.1.2 JB. Paisley, Scotland, Western Europe :beer:

ansextra

Apr 16, 2011
Visit site
My blue home button looks just like the day I got it (release day on Verizon). Honestly I wouldn't care if my phone showed a little wear (which it doesn't). I use it all the time.

blade22222

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site
My blue home button looks just like the day I got it (release day on Verizon). Honestly I wouldn't care if my phone showed a little wear (which it doesn't). I use it all the time.

Same here. Same color, got it release day also.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Android Central Forums

LegalAmerican

Feb 15, 2012
Visit site
That's a joke, right? Titanium is super expensive, and cast iron rusts. The case is fine just as it is.

--Tapatalk on Samsung GS3.

Yeah I was just being sarcastic. The Galaxy S3 may "feel" cheap to some, but plastic is plastic. It's durable, bendable, pretty decent at resisting scratches, and it looks good over a long timeframe. Isn't that all any of us want out of our devices? I don't care what my phone is made out of, as long as it is durable, resistant to scratches and cracks, lightweight, and maintains it's new appearance. I don't care if it's made of plastic or whatever else. 90% of everything we use on a daily basis has a form of plastic used in it's manufacturing process, yet somehow people crucify Samsung over their use of plastic. 30 Million+ have decided this awful, atrocious plastic was just fine.

meyerweb#CB

Banned
Sep 4, 2009
Visit site
Regarding Samsung's plastic, fantastic construction. I love it.

Does my prior HTC phone feel more robust? Maybe. It's certainly much heavier. I much prefer the weight savings offered by plastic, and the idea that plastic is a cheap material that will crack and break just doesn't reflect reality. There are all kinds of plastics, and many are more rugged than metal because they'll flex, instead of dent.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nikoczzzz