| || |
Screen and display Repair/Replace
I'm new to posting so bare with me.
I Pre-ordered my GS3 from Verizon before the new plan change so I could keep my unlimited data. I love the phone even though it has had some minor issues. I have not rooted it yet.
One of my dogs tripped me causing me to drop my phone. It fell down 3 stairs and landed on my driveway. Needless to say it cracked my screen. It was still working and I continued to do so while considering my options.
I didnt want to pay insurance prices so I decided to repair it myself. After several trips to Ebay I had ordered all the parts I thought I would need. I also wanted to change the color to the Garnet Red.
While waiting on the parts I began watching videos and reading forums about the repair. When my screen broke it also damaged the bezel / frame.
I soon learned that this was very bad and that most people trying the repair damaged the display under the screen while attempting to remove it from the frame. At this point I had already ordered the new screen, frame, battery cover, and home button to make the change to red.
I went back to ebay and priced the display and saw it was more expensive than my insurance.
At this point what do you do?
I made the choice to suck it up finish what I started. most of this story is probably boring the hell out of you so now the good part.
I do electronic repairs on Computers, TV's, and Playstations, so I got with a few friends of mine for ideas.
I wish I had recorded the process.
I was successfully able to seperate the display from the frame and screen without damaging it.
I used a heat gun and removed the screen almost in 1 piece even though it was busted, using a playing card. once it was good and warm I used a very small blade to start one of the corners enough to get the edge of the playing card under the glass. I then kept heating it up and gently sliding the card further under the glass. Several times going back and forth with the heat moving a little at a time until the entire glass popped out in one section.
I then had to take the time to clean up the frame and display of the remainign glue residue. using a small pick i cleaned all the glue from around the edges of the display on the top and both sides.
using my pick i pushed a long strand of waxed dental floss down into the crack between the frame and the display at the top wiggling it just under the corners of the display.
Using the heat gun I then began the time consuming process of heating the display and back of the frame.
Gently sliding the dental floss under the display holding it on each side pulling it toward the bottom of the phone. I only pulled the floss a little at a time scared i would damage the display. each time heating it back up and pullign it a little more. I kept repeating this process untill I got to area where the ribbon cable is attached to the back of the display. At this point the top section of the display has a slight gap where you can see behind it.
I then used the heat gun to heat it up again gently pushing on the display from the back side of the frame where you can see the ribbon cable, looking from the back side i was pushing on the right side where the biggest hole in the frame is. the display started seperating from the frame at the bottom and part of the stick tape was catching on the other side. I was able to slide a razer between the display and frame to cut the tape. i had enough room to use a knife or other cutting instrument. once the tape released the display was free and in my hand without cracking or breaking it.
Victory was mine!!!..... almost
Once I had everything seperated I started to rebuild using the new parts when I realized I had the wrong frame. I had ordered a I9300 frame and I have a I535 phone. My mother board wouldnt seat into the frame. I went back on ebay and ordered and am waiting on the correct frame now. because I wanted to change the color of the Phone to red instead of pebble blue I orderedthe frame to the White model. It appears to be silver like the one on the garnet red models.
Once that frame arrivedsI will post an update.
I have included a few pics of the process.