SD Cards failing in Galaxy S3: Samsung's insane response.

paulnptld

Jan 9, 2013
Visit site
I thought I'd share an interesting exchange I just had with Samsung support via chat. Three days ago, my S3 started having issues reading my SD card. I discovered that there seem to be dozens of forums (including this one) that are demonstrating this to be a widespread issue. Here is what Samsung has to say about it:

Please wait for a Samsung Agent to respond.

You are now chatting with 'Sherard S'. There will be a brief survey at the end of our chat to share feedback on my performance today.

Your Issue ID for this chat is LTK56402402520X

Sherard S: Hi, thank you for contacting Samsung Technical Support. How may I help you today?
Visitor: Hi there. I own an S3 16gig.
Visitor: A few months ago I purchased a 32gb SanDisk micro-sd card.
Visitor: You probably already know where this is going.
Visitor: Yesterday it started saying the card was unexpectedly ejected.
Visitor: Today it won't even recognize the card.
Visitor: Further, the card is no longer recognized by my computer when I remove it.
Visitor: I searched online for this issue, and it turns out there are dozens of sites now active with this same issue.
Visitor: This was an expensive class 10 card, and I'm really frustrated that my S3 seems to have fried it.
Sherard S: I understand that your phone won't recognize your memory card. Also, the same memory card is not even recognized by a PC. am I correct?
Visitor: I love the phone, but it's becoming apparent that Samsung is having some serious hardware issues.
Visitor: Yes.
Visitor: You're correct.
Sherard S: I am sorry about that. Let me see what I can do.
Visitor: But as of a week ago, no problems.
Sherard S: May I know the model number of your phone? Generally it starts with SGH, SCH, SPH or GT. You can find it in About Phone/Device in Settings on the phone.
Visitor: SGH-i747
Visitor: AT&T.
Visitor: Running 4.1.1
Visitor: Stock. No mods.
Sherard S: Thank you for the information.
Sherard S: We haven't seen this kind of issue with any of our customers. Please do not trust the information which you find in a third party website or forum. The information which is posted in forums or third party website is fake. Those website's or forums or not controlled by Samsung. Due to this, anyone can post anything in those websites/forums.
Sherard S: Did you try using the same memory card in any other phone?
Visitor: You just lost me, man.
Visitor: That's the most ridiculous response I've ever seen.
Visitor: Thanks for your help.

jamesino

Sep 30, 2012
Visit site
My SD card problem perhaps isn't the same as yours, but I just thought I'd share just in case.

I have a 32 GB SanDisk Class 10 card that I bought from Amazon while they were having that sale on SD cards. I have mostly movies and music (mp3, flac, wav) on there. When I listen to PowerAmp music player, sometimes the song just stops playing in the middle of the track and begins to skip songs with the music player saying "Failed to play file." After a while, after too many freezes, the app just freezes and shuts down. However, afterwards, my memory cad frequently becomes corrupted. Songs are deleted, other images and movies I have on the card are also erased.

I got a replacement one from Amazon and the same thing happened.

I'm not sure if this is because of the music player app, PowerAmp, or because of the memory card. Since two identical memory cards have failed, I'm inclined to believe it is the app. However, when I load my 16 GB SanDisk Class 6 card in and play music with PowerAmp, it has never encountered this problem.

So not sure where the problem is, but there is a memory card problem somewhere.

Suntan

Mar 16, 2011
Visit site
No offense, but I've had flash cards crap themselves while in use in a number of different devices. Does that mean each device has an issue? I'm sure you could find all sorts of threads about any popular gadget that uses removable flash cards to support the idea that you want to have.

Personally, I'm big into digital photography, so I've been using flash media for well over a decade with a number I f different devices, it's fairly common for conspiracy threads to gain momentum about a device, just because a couple of people all happened to have bad luck at the same time.

-Suntan

paulnptld

Jan 9, 2013
Visit site
I see your point. I've used SD cards for ages as well, and have clearly had better luck. That being said, I'd suggest that if you search the topic you'll find that there's definitely something going on here with the S3 and cards. Further, the main point here was the guy's response.

funkylogik

May 21, 2012
Visit site
oh man "bet u know where this is going" lol nice :beer:

so the tens or hundreds of people on this forum alone are liars?

this is what ive been saying.. theres CLEARLY a problem with micro sd on the s3 and a problem with bad batches of glass.
why cant a site this prominent come together and do something about things like this instead of bein called liars or thier classic "these sites may look official but arent" lol

youd be aswell going to Chatbot.com lol :)

Unbranded international rooted s3 with Official 4.1.2 JB. Paisley, Scotland, Western Europe :beer:

jodyberry

Oct 25, 2012
Visit site
So I swapped out my 32 gigabyte SanDisk card that I had in my note 2 with the 16 gigabyte SanDisk card and for the last 6 hours or so I've had no alerts whatsoever.

Sent from my Samung "Brick"

tinner12002

Jan 10, 2013
Visit site
I'm having the same problem with my 32g sandisk card and my sam S3 not reading it. I really don't use this thing to nowhere near it's potental, maybe I'll replace maybe I won't, I guess for now I'll take it out and leave the slot open.

jay_g

Jan 5, 2011
Visit site
He/She/It just started to trouble shoot and you cut them off. Seems you are the one that's insane and not willing to try and figure out what the issue is.

Suntan

Mar 16, 2011
Visit site
If it is nonsense then explain why phones that have a set memory won't allow anything bigger than there built in memory?

First explain where this has been the case.

There's multiple posts on the interwebs from people that say they are using 64GB SD cards just fine... What's that tell you?

Personally, when I first got my OTG cable, for giggles I connected an old, 80GB 2.5" drive via USB and it recognized it just fine.

-Suntan

worwig

Dec 29, 2010
Visit site
If it is nonsense then explain why phones that have a set memory won't allow anything bigger than there built in memory?

There ARE people with 16GB S3s using 64GB cards.

Nonsense.

Now I COULD see where someone is ignorant of the way it works, plugs a 64GB card into say a 16GB unit, and still see only a 16GB SDCARD. Not knowing that it is actually call "extSdCard". That just means they don't understand how it works, not that they don't work.

meyerweb#CB

Banned
Sep 4, 2009
Visit site
I have a 32GB Transcend card that's been working fine in my (16GB) S3 since mid-December.

To the OP: No doubt insulting the tech support guy is the best way to get service. I'm sure of it. (Even if he is an idiot.)

anon(94115)

Banned
Nov 29, 2010
Visit site

Because that is the size of the chip they put in?

Look at it like a computer. The hard drive is a certain size, but I can add in a 2 terabyte external drive to increase storage.

The sgs3 supports a 64gb card

Sent from the nexus of the Android world, the SGS3.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Landers2