Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 12 of 12 FirstFirst ... 9101112
Like Tree30Likes

Default Re: SD Cards failing in Galaxy S3: Samsung's insane response.

Hi guys,

I've got a similar, but not identical, issue on two of my Samsung devices (Note 2 and Tab2 7.0). I purchased two Sandisk Ultra 64gb class 10 microsd cards. Both are recognized by the devices, but when I try to create a folder or copy a file I get an "Access denied" message.

When I remove the card and use a reader and attach it as USB Mass Storage, the card works fine. I can't try it in another phone, like my Evo, because their limit is 32gb. Since it works as mass storage but not as an extSdCard, it doesn't sound like the card is the issue. Perhaps the way the device's microsd card reader is configured?? Oh, yes, the card does work fine in my Note 10.1! More evidence that it is the devices and not the card??

At any rate, I've tried everything I can think of to fix the problem without success; formatting in each of the devices, formatting as mass storage via USB, formatting with a highly rated utility from the play store. I even tried the "Protect SD card" as suggested near the beginning of this thread. Nothing I've tried has worked. So, what do I do, besides complaining to Samsung, which sounds like they are in "Access denied" (denial) mode? (Sorry for that last convoluted sentence).

Quote Originally Posted by mjtaryan View Post
    Nothing I've tried has worked.
    Have you tried putting them in the SD card reader on your computer and formatting them as FAT32?

What OS version are your two devices running - 4.4.x?

Sent from my rooted, debloated, deodexed Sinclair ZX-80 running CM -0.001 using Tapatalk

First, I need to make a correction. The Note 2 is fine. Only thr Tab 2 has the problem. It is not rooted (yet) and is running under 4.2.2.

I had the same situation last February 2014 with my S3 GT-i9300 (international).
    I went on a trip to Australia and lost many pics & videos.... really anoying.
    I worried about Samsung not doing anything! They should pay for a new SD card (mine was a 64GB SanDisk - not cheap) and recover the lost files.

I really don't know if I will stay with Samsung after this poor customer experience.
    I have been defending Samsung against Apple but now I will consider it.

What brand is the SD card?
    It's a known problem with Sandisk cards.
    If it's a new card, it might be NOS.

AC App on SGS3
    Samsung Galaxy S3 4gLTE
    0pk

Quote Originally Posted by funkylogik View Post
    oh man "bet u know where this is going" lol nice :beer:

so the tens or hundreds of people on this forum alone are liars?

this is what ive been saying.. theres CLEARLY a problem with micro sd on the s3 and a problem with bad batches of glass.
    why cant a site this prominent come together and do something about things like this instead of bein called liars or thier classic "these sites may look official but arent" lol

youd be aswell going to Chatbot.com lol

Unbranded international rooted s3 with Official 4.1.2 JB. Paisley, Scotland, Western Europe :beer:
    Yep everyone here lies

Posted via Android Central App

Quote Originally Posted by 0pk View Post
    Yep everyone here lies

Posted via Android Central App
    For someone with only 5 posts, you aren't making very many friends

AC App on SGS3
    Samsung Galaxy S3 4gLTE

Lightbulb Re: SD Cards failing in Galaxy S3: Samsung's insane response.

I had the same error and tried everything that's suggested here and nothing worked.

This Solution worked for me. . .

Step 1: Remove the SD card from the Phone
    Step 2: While the slot on the phone is empty, press on the slot on the phone. Not too hard to damage but enough to bend the metal slightly inward. For some reason over time the SD card slot gets loose and the card does not have good contact inside. Hence the card is unreadable. Since the card is not dismounted properly, it's not read on the computer either. So you have to fix it on the phone before putting it back in the computer to copy/backup data.

Step 3: Place the SD card back in and make sure it's snug. Restart the phone and it should work normally again!

Hope this helps someone . . .

Cheers!

Maaksman

When I got my GS3 a few years ago, I carefully read the documentation. It can only handle up to a 16 gig card.

My phone has been acting up as well lately, and a friend said I may need to change the card, they can degrade over time and the phone will continually reset trying to read it. Still copying data to the new card, so we'll see.

Still considering getting the Note 4 in a month...

Quote Originally Posted by bcgrote View Post
    When I got my GS3 a few years ago, I carefully read the documentation. It can only handle up to a 16 gig card.
    Not sure where you got that information - the S3 will support up to a 64GB SD card. I had one for a short while, then replaced it with a 32GB card than I've been using for almost two years.

Sent from my rooted, debloated, deodexed Sinclair ZX-80 running CM -0.001 using Tapatalk
Page 12 of 12 FirstFirst ... 9101112