Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Results 1 to 17 of 17
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

    Default S3 optional battery that's not an extended one.

    I have no major complaints with my battery but I would like an extra 2-3hrs with the same usage I do every day.

    I just installed nova launcher about 4 days ago and my battery has taken a big hit with aprox 2-3hrs less daily...same usage. I have been considering unistlling but I like the look and feel of it and would hate to uninstall.

    Any recommendation?
    2300 mah aftermarket battery any better than the 2100 mah stock samsung one??

    Pictures or links please...
    Thanks


    Sent from my Galaxy S3
  2. #2  

    Default Re: S3 optional battery that's not an extended one.

    Check on Amazon for even technologies 2300 battery. I just got mine in the mail, so I'm eager to see if it helps or not.
    The battery was like $15.
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

    Default Re: S3 optional battery that's not an extended one.

    Yea i received an email today from amazon with current deals and there were a few. The one i know the most is Anker. Deal was
    2x battery plus a charging dock $21.00

    But wanted feedback from users who have used any for a while now.

    Sent from my Galaxy S3
  4. #4  

    Default Re: S3 optional battery that's not an extended one.

    The capacity of a battery of any given technology is directly proportional to its size. The chemistry (Lithium Ion) of all of these batteries is the same. While you can, in theory, make the walls of the many individual cells that make up a battery thinner, thereby allowing (very) slightly more chemical, how likely is it that the makers of a really cheap, no-name battery have done the engineering, and used the more expensive plastic necessary, to do that?

    I've used various Chinese made, inexpensive clone batteries in several phones, and my experience is that they have less usable capacity than the stock battery, regardless of the seller's claimed mAH rating. I use these cheap aftermarket batteries as emergency backups, in case my OEM battery dies because I've had no way to recharge it. To a large extent, you DO get what you pay for.
    PLEASE, when asking for help provide as much information as possible. We can't help unless we know what the symptoms are and what you did before they began.

    LG G3 on Sprint. [Stumped and Bumped, Debloated, Startup apps managed, Trickster, Nova Prime, Swiftkey, G3 Tweakbox]--> Runs smooth as silk, now.
  5. Thread Author  Thread Author    #5  

    Default Re: S3 optional battery that's not an extended one.

    Quote Originally Posted by meyerweb View Post
    The capacity of a battery of any given technology is directly proportional to its size. The chemistry (Lithium Ion) of all of these batteries is the same. While you can, in theory, make the walls of the many individual cells that make up a battery thinner, thereby allowing (very) slightly more chemical, how likely is it that the makers of a really cheap, no-name battery have done the engineering, and used the more expensive plastic necessary, to do that?

    I've used various Chinese made, inexpensive clone batteries in several phones, and my experience is that they have less usable capacity than the stock battery, regardless of the seller's claimed mAH rating. I use these cheap aftermarket batteries as emergency backups, in case my OEM battery dies because I've had no way to recharge it. To a large extent, you DO get what you pay for.
    I agree. With my old Evo 4G aftermarket batteries were worse....though it was the same size.

    I thought 300mah more, would make at least a 2 hr improvement not minding the brand.

    Sent from my Galaxy S3
  6. #6  

    Default Re: S3 optional battery that's not an extended one.

    If it were REALLY a 2300 mAH battery, it would give you an improvement. Unfortunately, it's a lot easier to print a higher number on the case than it is to cram more electrons inside the case. In other words, don't believe the rating.
    PLEASE, when asking for help provide as much information as possible. We can't help unless we know what the symptoms are and what you did before they began.

    LG G3 on Sprint. [Stumped and Bumped, Debloated, Startup apps managed, Trickster, Nova Prime, Swiftkey, G3 Tweakbox]--> Runs smooth as silk, now.
  7. Thread Author  Thread Author    #7  

    Default Re: S3 optional battery that's not an extended one.

    Mmm i see.

    So would you reccomend any trusted brand that u have succesfully used in the past with a positive experience? ....or none at all...

    Sent from my Galaxy S3
  8. #8  
    Tkbredx's Avatar

    Posts
    1,948 Posts
    Global Posts
    1,949 Global Posts
    ROM
    TeamSonicFreeGS3 v9.1

    Default Re: S3 optional battery that's not an extended one.

    Quote Originally Posted by ttwiitch View Post
    Yea i received an email today from amazon with current deals and there were a few. The one i know the most is Anker. Deal was
    2x battery plus a charging dock $21.00

    But wanted feedback from users who have used any for a while now.

    Sent from my Galaxy S3
    Got this. Mine came in this Tuesday. Happy with results so far. Great deal. No longer paranoid about battery. I use my phone to the fullest. Brighteness all the way up. Sync always on and what not.
  9. Thread Author  Thread Author    #9  

    Default Re: S3 optional battery that's not an extended one.

    Which one exactly did u get??

    Sent from my Galaxy S3
  10. #10  
    Tkbredx's Avatar

    Posts
    1,948 Posts
    Global Posts
    1,949 Global Posts
    ROM
    TeamSonicFreeGS3 v9.1

    Default Re: S3 optional battery that's not an extended one.

    Quote Originally Posted by Dieter Bohn View Post
    We bought two of them off EBay (Thanks, Mr. Anonymous!) and I had to drive two hours both ways to get them at 1am. Fun times.

    It was a good thing we did it that way, though, because we don't live in a 3G area and they wouldn't have been sold at local stores.
    2 Ankers with the charger for 19.99
  11. #11  

    Default Re: S3 optional battery that's not an extended one.

  12. #12  

    Default Re: S3 optional battery that's not an extended one.

    Quote Originally Posted by ttwiitch View Post
    Mmm i see.
    So would you reccomend any trusted brand that u have succesfully used in the past with a positive experience? ....or none at all...
    If you look at these as a backup, so that you can swap in a new battery when needed, and not as a longer-life battery, then I think they're an excellent deal. Even if they only last for 75% as long as the OEM battery, the price is so low it's still a deal. And how often will you go through three batteries in a day?

    I bought these: Amazon.com: Boho Tronics Set of 2x (two) Galaxy S3 S3 i9300 2300 mAh Batteries Now With NFC! (Supports Google Wallet) & 1 wall travel USB Charger: Cell Phones & Accessories

    I've only used each battery once so far, and I'd estimate they last about 85% as long on a charge as the OEM. But at $17 for two batteries, with the convenience of an external charger, how can you go wrong?
    PLEASE, when asking for help provide as much information as possible. We can't help unless we know what the symptoms are and what you did before they began.

    LG G3 on Sprint. [Stumped and Bumped, Debloated, Startup apps managed, Trickster, Nova Prime, Swiftkey, G3 Tweakbox]--> Runs smooth as silk, now.
  13. Thread Author  Thread Author    #13  

    Default Re: S3 optional battery that's not an extended one.

    Quote Originally Posted by meyerweb View Post
    If you look at these as a backup, so that you can swap in a new battery when needed, and not as a longer-life battery, then I think they're an excellent deal. Even if they only last for 75% as long as the OEM battery, the price is so low it's still a deal. And how often will you go through three batteries in a day?

    I bought these: Amazon.com: Boho Tronics Set of 2x (two) Galaxy S3 S3 i9300 2300 mAh Batteries Now With NFC! (Supports Google Wallet) & 1 wall travel USB Charger: Cell Phones & Accessories

    I've only used each battery once so far, and I'd estimate they last about 85% as long on a charge as the OEM. But at $17 for two batteries, with the convenience of an external charger, how can you go wrong?
    Awesome thx man.

    Sent from my Galaxy S3
  14. Thread Author  Thread Author    #14  

    Default Re: S3 optional battery that's not an extended one.

    Quote Originally Posted by meyerweb View Post
    The capacity of a battery of any given technology is directly proportional to its size. The chemistry (Lithium Ion) of all of these batteries is the same. While you can, in theory, make the walls of the many individual cells that make up a battery thinner, thereby allowing (very) slightly more chemical, how likely is it that the makers of a really cheap, no-name battery have done the engineering, and used the more expensive plastic necessary, to do that?

    I've used various Chinese made, inexpensive clone batteries in several phones, and my experience is that they have less usable capacity than the stock battery, regardless of the seller's claimed mAH rating. I use these cheap aftermarket batteries as emergency backups, in case my OEM battery dies because I've had no way to recharge it. To a large extent, you DO get what you pay for.
    What you think of this one...

    http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B008G1...idcentral00-20

    ...& This review really caught my attention.

    I've tried four different batteries for my Samsung Galaxy S3 so far. I use an Android battery monitor app called Battery Monitor Widget Pro. The app will compute the total energy that the battery will hold after multiple cycles of complete charge/discharge. What I've found is that the Samsung OEM battery rated at 2100mah holds about 1450 mah's +/- 5%. Another eBay 2900mah battery held about 1700mah's (junk). I'm still testing a Hyperion 4200mah battery, nothing conclusive.

    This EZOPower 2100mah battery actually holds 2156mah +/- 3% after about 8 charge cycles. Pretty darn good!

    I don't work for or even know who EZOPower is, I just know that their batteries live up to the ratings, its the only battery I'll use. Your mileage may vary.


    Sent from my Galaxy S3
  15. Thread Author  Thread Author    #15  

    Default Re: S3 optional battery that's not an extended one.

    Bump

    Sent from my Galaxy S3
  16. #16  

    Default Re: S3 optional battery that's not an extended one.

    Relax, twitch It's only been four hours since your post, and some of us have other things to do, too.

    I'm not sure the way that app attempts to measure capacity is very meaningful. There are standard ways of doing so, and I doubt Samsung would risk the bad press that deliberately inflating the stated capacity of their battery could generate. But. assuming the test is at least relatively consistent, even if not accurate, this sounds like a good battery. The other reviews indicate good performance, too, and it's inexpensive.

    I still find it unlikely that a battery that is the same size as the OEM really stores 50% more energy. Thinking about this, it occurs to me there may be an easy way to make a battery last longer, though at a price. These batteries all have circuitry that monitors the level of charge, and probably battery temp, to prevent overcharging and battery damage. As a battery approaches maximum charge, it starts to heat up, and heat is bad for Li batteries (just ask people whose laptops caught on fire). It's possible that Samsung's battery manufacturer is much more conservative in how they calibrate the "full" indicator, and the manufacturer of the EzoPower allows the battery to get much closer to 100% full charge.

    If true (and I have no idea if it is), the battery would be trading off cycle time for life time. Given how cheap the battery is, that might be a worthwhile tradeoff for many people.
    PLEASE, when asking for help provide as much information as possible. We can't help unless we know what the symptoms are and what you did before they began.

    LG G3 on Sprint. [Stumped and Bumped, Debloated, Startup apps managed, Trickster, Nova Prime, Swiftkey, G3 Tweakbox]--> Runs smooth as silk, now.
  17. Thread Author  Thread Author    #17  

    Default Re: S3 optional battery that's not an extended one.

    Think u meant 14hrs lol??

    That makes sense..
    I guess all in all im dissapointed by any battery that I thought would make at least a minimal increase.

    I don't see myself bulking up my phone with a 4000+mah battery just to have up to two days without a charge. All I'm looking for is 2-3hrs extra to use the phone HOW I want....

    Phone makers really need to step up the battery technology because whats the point of a super phone without being able to super use it, lol?!


    Sent from my Galaxy S3

Similar Threads

  1. Now that I have an HTC One-X, do I need a tablet?
    By zingster in forum HTC One X
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 09-18-2012, 01:21 PM
  2. The Droid Incredible 4G LTE is NOT an HTC One phone
    By Phil Nickinson in forum Verizon Droid Incredible 4G
    Replies: 27
    Last Post: 05-13-2012, 05:20 PM
  3. Cisco VPN Not An Option?
    By belogical in forum Verizon Droid Incredible
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 05-24-2011, 08:07 PM
  4. Chances of an extended SLIM battery that's worth a damn?
    By spazma7ik in forum Verizon HTC Thunderbolt
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 04-12-2011, 08:24 PM
  5. Replies: 10
    Last Post: 05-21-2010, 06:51 PM

Posting Permissions