Is my Image Quality Bad?

ILUMINATIUNDEAD

Jul 20, 2011
Visit site
So I wasn't pleased with my cameras image quality, seems to have some blur and grain to them, especially tryin to take pictures of people. I sent it to Rogers for repair and they told me my phones fine. So maybe I'm just crazy, so I'll show you a few pictures. And my phone is completely clean on stock. I also use anti shake and don't move the camera, it used to take better pictures before but now it seems like even my BlackBerry takes better ones than this.... what should I do?
2rrxyfd.jpg
[/IMG]

2ynhsft.jpg
[/IMG]

30j1loj.jpg

But then it seems to be good in direct sunlight.

161aofn.jpg

Last edited:

Jerry Hildenbrand

Space Cowboy
Staff member
Oct 11, 2009
Visit site
Those look normal for just about any small sensor digital camera. Getting sharp, noise-free pictures of low-light settings cane be done, but not at automatic settings.

Try setting the ISO manually at 100, and introduce diffused light from behind you and above. Brace your arms, because the camera will take longer to get the image at a low ISO and things can get blurry -- which is why the automatic settings turn up the ISO (which creates noise). Frame your shot correctly so you don't have to crop, and shoot at max resolution -- then scale it down to 1200 or 1024 wide in an editor.

^This is a lot of work for pictures that are only marginally better.

funkylogik

May 21, 2012
Visit site
do you just tap the shutter button or hold it til it beeps then let go?
they look ok but im lookin at thed on my s3 screen.
id say phone cam's (the s3's anyway) are only good for casual facebook pics.
im far from bein a photographer though, this is my only camera n suits my needs :)

Unbranded international rooted s3 with Official 4.1.2 JB. Paisley, Scotland, Western Europe :beer:

meyerweb#CB

Banned
Sep 4, 2009
Visit site
Every digital camera produces noisier images in dim light than bright light. Even many thousand dollar professional cameras. Cell phones are worse in this regard than real cameras (in general), and the higher megapixel cameras tend to be even worse.

Here's a very high level explanation of why: A digital image sensor is made up of a whole bunch of very tiny light sensors, called photo-sites. On the GS3, about 8 million of them. These photo-sites "collect" individual photons during the camera exposure. The fewer the photons, the weaker the signal the sensor generates, and the darker the image will be.

So if relatively few photons hit each photo-site, the camera has to amplify the signal coming from the sensor to make it bright enough to make a usable image. And when you amplify the signal, you also amplify the noise. So in dim light, the camera has to amplify the signal a lot, which makes the image noisier.

The more light, the more photons hit the sensor, and the better your image will be. How do we capture more photons? One way is to make the shutter speed longer, but beyond a certain point you'll get blurry images because you can't hold the camera still long enough.

Another way is to make each photo-site bigger (in diameter). The bigger the photo-site, the more surface area it has to absorb photons. To make photo-sites bigger, you either need to make the sensor bigger, or reduce the number of photo-sites. Cell phones don't have very much room for a big sensor. Consumers have been conditioned to equate more pixels with "better." So cell phone manufacturers cram a great many, very tiny, photo-sites into a very small sensor. That means that in low light the signal needs a lot of amplification (high ISO), which means a noisier image.

For the use most people make of cell phone pictures (posting on Facebook and other online sites), we'd probably be better off with fewer mega-pixels. But if you tried to sell a premium cell phone with a 4 MP camera today, you'd get laughed out of the marketplace.

funkylogik

May 21, 2012
Visit site
lmao Merv think i actualy understood that bro :)

Unbranded international rooted s3 with Official 4.1.2 JB. Paisley, Scotland, Western Europe :beer:

funkylogik

May 21, 2012
Visit site
sounds patronising but clean the lens.
and if youre takin a static pic, get it right then hold the shutter button beeps then release ;)

off topic sorry but from your tiny avatar, your cam may be broken by beauty :)

Tkbredx

Apr 8, 2012
Visit site
off topic sorry but from your tiny avatar, your cam may be broken by beauty :)

I was thinking that lol. I know nothing about cameras but I do no whether the person in the picture looks cute or not and you bet your life savings she is cute lol.

funkylogik

May 21, 2012
Visit site
u charmer you.
you never compliment my avatar :(

funkylogik

May 21, 2012
Visit site
gee*blush* its hard bein so sexy.... wish you guys knew how hard. ive had to hire bouncers n reinforce my door! horny women are mental! :p

meyerweb#CB

Banned
Sep 4, 2009
Visit site
If your pics a blurry, there are 4 possible reasons:

1. You're not holding the camera as steady as you think. It's easy to shake the camera when you press the shutter button. Make sure you're not "tapping" it. Just touch it very gently.
2. Your subject isn't holding still. With flash, that's probably not the problem.
3. The camera isn't focusing on the subject. I haven't really explored the camera software, but I think it focuses where you touch the screen, so make sure you're touching the subject, and not off to the side somewhere.
4. Your lens is dirty. Get a clean microfiber cloth to make sure it's clean.

ILUMINATIUNDEAD

Jul 20, 2011
Visit site
hahaha wow.... anyways. Yea I think it just has to do with taking the picture at the right focus moment.... and the lighting conditions... gotta play around with the camera a bit I think!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kerokekerol