Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Like Tree13Likes
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default In simple terms how can I....

I have a new S3 from Metro PCS. Still on ICS. The battery life is horrible. I can see that there are lots of things running. I have tried using delete but they still seem to be there. Uninstall doesn't seem to work either. In simple terms how can I get these apps to stop running constantly and just sit somewhere else until I need them????

Default Re: In simple terms how can I....

Settings > applications > choose the one you need > force closing (something like that, my phone is not in English).
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

Thank you. I saw force close on there but it sounded ominous so I didn't dare use it. lol

You should be careful about what you Force Close. While you won't break the phone, you can certainly cause it to crash or reboot by FC'ing the wrong thing. Also, you should not have to do this except in the abnormal event that an app is hung or hogging resources. You'll find even stopping processes, many of them will just start back up. It's how most operating systems work now, since there are lots of background processes going on to sync up data like mail or weather and stuff.

A better solution would be to post back with what you consider a "horrible" battery life to be (one man's horrible battery life is another's great batter life) and perhaps post a screenshot of your battery usage screen (Menu -> Settings -> Battery) so we can see what's using it.

There are many things that can contribute to battery life, including (but not limited to) how much you use the phone/display, what you're doing (videos/gaming/just checking Facebook) how bright it is, what you have enabled as far as radios (Bluetooth, GPS, mobile data, wi-fi, NFC, etc), what you have installed, how often you have apps or widgets or notifications pinging for data (like checking email or updating weather), etc.

Regardless, you shouldn't have to be in closing tasks and processes, at least not very often unless you have a problem with an app not functioning correctly (or it was just coded poorly).

Global Posts
    565 Global Posts

I agree that the first thing you should do is look at the Battery screen to see what is actually using up your battery.
  6. Thread Author  Thread Author    #6  

How do I take a screen shot of the battery? I have to charge the phone twice a day and I don't think I use it that much. I have my email checked every 30 mins. I have wifi and bluetooth shut off. I hardly ever play games, and rarely watch video. Brightness is set at automatic. Screen timeout is set at 2 mins.

Global Posts
    565 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by dee632 View Post
    How do I take a screen shot of the battery? I have to charge the phone twice a day and I don't think I use it that much. I have my email checked every 30 mins. I have wifi and bluetooth shut off. I hardly ever play games, and rarely watch video. Brightness is set at automatic. Screen timeout is set at 2 mins.
    Load the battery screen on your phone... then take the edge of your hand and swype from the right side to the left side of your screen. That will take a screenshot.
  8. Thread Author  Thread Author    #8  

Sorry to be a pest. I took the screenshot. Now what???

Global Posts
    565 Global Posts

Upload it to this thread! lol
  10. Thread Author  Thread Author    #10  

You're giving me too much credit for what I'm capable of. lol
  11. Thread Author  Thread Author    #11  

In simple terms how can I....-screenshot_2013-01-16-14-40-29-2-.jpg

Hope I did it right.
    Thanked by:
    MERCDROID and crester like this.

Global Posts
    565 Global Posts

I knew you could do it!
    MERCDROID likes this.

Global Posts
    565 Global Posts

Hmm... the Lookout Security App is consuming a lot of battery... do you need it???

Global Posts
    565 Global Posts

Also... how long is your battery lasting? I see you have 70% of your battery left and you've already gone over 6.5 hours? That's actually pretty good.

What phone did you have before?

Cell standby is using more than I've ever seen on mine. Poor cell reception?
    In buildings a lot?
    --Tapatalk 2 on SGS3.
    Samsung Galaxy S3 4gLTE
  16. Thread Author  Thread Author    #16  

Lookout is for security purposes. I don't know of a better option? Avast?

I have poor cell reception. My last phone was a VZW S3. I was able to get out of my contract because they were able to determine I was in a bad reception area.

Global Posts
    565 Global Posts

You may have answered your own question lol... you said you are in a poor coverage area...

Do you have LTE turned on? Phones can burn up a lot of battery when looking for signal.

Oh and I really don't think you need that anti virus stuff. That would save you even more battery.
    Last edited by crester; 01-16-2013 at 07:17 PM.
    Thanked by:
    dee632 

Your battery stats look fine to me. Seems like you have quite a few things running in the background (your taskbar looks quite full). Some of those applications could be eating at your battery, but I wouldn't say you have poor battery life judging by your screenshot. Check out the apps JuiceDefender or GreenPower Premium in the Play Store for an extra little boost.

Galaxy S3 - Thanks Appreciated!
    My Podcast-
    My Blog-
    Thanked by:
    dee632 

Oh bad signal and LTE is horrible battery, best to turn off LTE in bad signal areas.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747
  20. Thread Author  Thread Author    #20  

Quote Originally Posted by jaj6503 View Post
    Seems like you have quite a few things running in the background (your taskbar looks quite full). Some of those applications could be eating at your battery, but I wouldn't say you have poor battery life judging by your screenshot.
    That's what I was trying to ask originally. All those apps running in the background.......how do I stop them from running????
  21. Thread Author  Thread Author    #21  

Also, where do I go to turn off LTE. I don't think Metro PCS has it.

That's what I was trying to ask originally. All those apps running in the background.......how do I stop them from running????
    Easiest way? Uninstall them. Apps like Lookout shouldn't be pre-installed. I prefer Avast! since it barely uses any noticeable battery life.

Galaxy S3 - Thanks Appreciated!
    My Podcast-
    My Blog-

Also, where do I go to turn off LTE. I don't think Metro PCS has it.
    If they don't, you may need to set up a 2nd APN. Was metro pcs another carrier before?

Well it says you are on 4g so that has to be LTE and that consumes more juice than 3g. Also you don't need that anti virus.

Sent from my EVO 4G LTE

Quote Originally Posted by Topgonzo View Post
    Well it says you are on 4g so that has to be LTE and that consumes more juice than 3g. Also you don't need that anti virus.

Sent from my EVO 4G LTE
    You can have 4G without LTE..

Thanked by:
    crester likes this.
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast