How lazy am I for not erasing after JB update?

pcguys

Jun 12, 2010
Visit site
Of the peeps here who have some bugs or issues with JB, do you think they are attributable to perhaps not doing a factory erase after the JB update?

If I take the lazy way out and don't erase my phone after the JB update, am I just setting myself up for future headaches and hassles?

I was thinking of planning not to erase after JB unless I had problems.

However, as I say that, it's probably as bad of an idea as doing an upgrade to windows 7 over XP instead of a clean format.

Is that analogy appropriate?

Wipe of Not.

What do you think?
Thanks,
Mike

Shanicenicolle

Nov 2, 2012
Visit site
I wiped before then updated the second time around (had issues where I restored back down to ics) and now it works like a charm!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Android Central Forums

trucky

Oct 12, 2011
Visit site
Going from stock to stock no wipe is needed. That said, things always tend to run better starting clean. Sometimes it's a good idea to add back your apps one by one to see who isn't playing well with others.

pcguys

Jun 12, 2010
Visit site
Down deep, I know it's "better".

I guess I'm just trying to figure out how much better, etc.

How much of the answers I get here will be from purist-geeks and does it really translate to regular users?

I mean after all, most of the time, major updates come in over the air without wiping. I presume carriers have an incentive to to have problems. If that practice was soo problematic, then why would they do it?

Thanks for all opinions,
Mike

trucky

Oct 12, 2011
Visit site
Exactly. How many "regular" users are going to know how to do a Factory Data Reset, or even care what it is? Then ask if they wiped dalvik and cache and see what kind of look you get.

Carriers go to great lengths to ensure a trouble free update before it's ever released.

pcguys

Jun 12, 2010
Visit site
I wonder if I take the lazy way out and don't erase everything, how will I know if I'm enjoying 100% of the buttery speed that it promises? Assuming it's faster than ICS, I would have no way to judge.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
Don't feel bad.. I haven't either. I haven't had any of the issues so I'm lazy.

I'm already nuts with my PC and wipe every 6 months since I only keep programs installed (files and other stuff are backed up elsewhere) so.. The phone I try and stay relaxed. :p

Sent from my Sprint S3 using AC forums

Kelly Kearns

Jan 10, 2012
Visit site
I didn't the first time, then I started having random reboots a couple of weeks later. At that point, I wished I had done the reset after. Ending up having to trade my phone out, so it was like a reset anyway.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747

crester

Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
Why in the world would you need to wipe your phone before an update? This isn't like installing an "Upgrade" of Windows 95 for your PC.

I never erased the contents of my phone before a software update... and my phones have worked great.

Kelly Kearns

Jan 10, 2012
Visit site
Why in the world would you need to wipe your phone before an update? This isn't like installing an "Upgrade" of Windows 95 for your PC.

I never erased the contents of my phone before a software update... and my phones have worked great.

Because MANY of us have found we don't have bugs after an update doing this. And yes, and update can make your phone OS buggy. Everyone doesn't do before and after, many just do after, but before and after isn't more work and just a possible time saving step many take.

crester

Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
And I bet there are MANY MANY MANY more than "you guys" who didn't erase the contents of their phone and factory reset it... and have the phone working fine.

There's apparently 40 million SGS3's out there... I'm pretty sure the vast majority of them don't erase their phone every time there's a software update.

Kelly Kearns

Jan 10, 2012
Visit site
And I bet there are MANY MANY MANY more than "you guys" who didn't erase the contents of their phone and factory reset it... and have the phone working fine.

There's apparently 40 million SGS3's out there... I'm pretty sure the vast majority of them don't erase their phone every time there's a software update.

It isn't just about the S3, but if you pay attention to this site and others, especially to people that do a lot of updates, the carrier and THE MANUFACTURER, you might see things a bit different.

AxlMyk

Sep 12, 2012
Visit site
How many of you with problems are rooted, or mess around with the phone alot?
I'm not, and have had no issues at all, other than Words with Friends not being nice

--Tapatalk 2 on SGS3.

Kelly Kearns

Jan 10, 2012
Visit site
How many of you with problems are rooted, or mess around with the phone alot?
I'm not, and have had no issues at all, other than Words with Friends not being nice

--Tapatalk 2 on SGS3.

Not me and just with the discussions of JB a few weeks ago and Gingerbread before that, didn't seem to be a rooted, non rooted issue. The Device Tech centers see issues and do many reflashes of the software. Like I said, it's hit and miss and even being 2-4 weeks out of an update, does not always mean there won't be problems.

To others:

People ask for help around here, people share their experiences, seems kind of pointless to argue with the experiences of others. Some of us, myself included, upgraded the day it was available and have walked through many issues with many people since the update came out.

Your mileage may vary..

Only the first paragraph was to you AxlMyk

Srambo217

Dec 12, 2010
Visit site

Kelly Kearns

Jan 10, 2012
Visit site
Was this an Odin or OTA update?

You shouldn't have to for OTA updates (or Odin flashes, if official).

I wouldst worry about it unless you re having extremely bad bugs. You could always root/backup your user apps with TiBU beforehand.

Galaxy SIII - Thanks Appreciated!
My Podcast - http://cyberears.com/index.php/Show/audio/6030
My Blog - https://www.blogger.com/blogin.g?blogspotURL=http://bearpastarocketpop.blogspot.com/

Yeah but the earlier Kies updates were official...

KreepyKen

Just a cool guy
Jul 17, 2011
Visit site
My phone ran perfectly after the JB update. But I noticed the battery drained faster. I was used to about a 2% drain while at work (connected to wifi). After I got JB, it jumped to about 3.5% an hour. Otherwise, the phone worked with no noticeable bugs or problems.

I saw a lot of people reporting better battery use after the update, so I figured something went wonky and did the factory reset. I didn't want to because I really hate having to set everything up again. But I did it anyway, and my battery usage is back to around 2% per hour.

So I vote FOR the upgrade (so many great new features) and I also vote FOR a factory reset. You may find that everything works perfectly. Or you may find that there are bugs or other glitches. In my opinion, it's worth starting from scratch.

ansextra

Apr 16, 2011
Visit site
I had bluetooth issues as well as some Exchange issues after the upgrade. I did a factory reset. Bluetooth is better but not perfect but Exchange is working fine. Would I do a proactive factory reset before the problems happened? I doubt it. I'm not going to waste my time fixing what isn't broken. Once it's broken, though, all bets are off.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fallingOutOfLoveWfithTech