1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Battery issue. Help!

On my s 3 my battery is charging overnight but when it gets full it starts discharging instead of staying at 100 until unplugged? So by the time I wake up its on 70? How can this be resolved?

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S3 using Tapatalk 2

Global Posts
    99 Global Posts

Default Re: Battery issue. Help!

Factory reset the phone and check.

Don't start with a factory reset. Look at the battery stats and see what's actually using your battery. Post a screen shot here so we can see it.

In the application manager, see what apps are running. You might want to post a screen shot here of that, too. Are you using the OEM charger and cable? Do you have another charger and/or cable you can try?

Let's try to figure out what is actually causing the problem before nuking it, so you can try to keep it from happening again.
    PLEASE, when asking for help provide as much information as possible. We can't help unless we know what the symptoms are and what you did before they began.

If I've helped you, please click the "Thanks" button.

Have a Galaxy S3? Click here ==> Everything you wanted to know about your Galaxy S3
    Just a cool guy

ROM
    Unrooted with Nova Prime

Doesn't sound like a problem of "what's killing my battery?" It sounds like it stops charging, which is probably a hardware issue...either the battery, the charger, or the phone.

Try a different charger. If it still does it, try a different battery. If it still does it, return the phone.

FYI, the way charging works is that once the battery hits 100%, charging stops to prevent the battery from overcharging and starting a fire. It will drain according to background tasks and communication with the tower and/or wifi. Once the battery hits a certain point...usually around 95%...it starts charging again until it hits 100% and then shuts off again. If the charger kept charging after the battery hit 100%, the battery would heat up, melt, and start a fire.

Seems that your phone is not picking back up at the 95% mark. Are you running a custom ROM? If not, I think this is a problem with either the charger or the phone.

I'll tell you what I recently found. The charger that came with my phone was taking forever to charge and a couple of times when the battery was low and I was doing something and plugged it up, the phone went dead, it was discharging faster than recharging. I tried my old Galaxy S charger, worked much better, then just tried the Galaxy S cord in the new plug, worked great. Tried the new cord in the Galaxy S plug, same problem. I took my new charger to one of the actual AT&T stores, they traded it out and gave me a new one, now it charges like it should, doesn't take 10 hours or more to get a full charge.
    Last edited by Kelly Kearns; 01-17-2013 at 09:36 PM.
    Just a cool guy

ROM
    Unrooted with Nova Prime

Quote Originally Posted by Kelly Kearns View Post
    I'll tell you what I recently found. The charger that came with my phone was taking forever to charge and a couple of times when the battery was low and I was doing something and plugged it up, the phone went dead, it was discharging faster than recharging. I tried my old Galaxy S charger, worked much better, then just tried the Galaxy S cord in the new plug, worked great. Tried the new cord in the Galaxy S plug, same problem. I took my new plug to one of the actual AT&T stores, they traded it out and gave me a new one, now it charges like it should, doesn't that 10 hours or more to get a full charge.
    Wow...yeah, sounds like a real loser of a charger. I've been lucky, both the charger that came with the phone and the car charger that came with my car dock (both Samsung OEM) charge my phone quickly. If I need a REALLY quick charge, I'll use the 1.8-Amp charger from my Nexus 7.

Quote Originally Posted by KreepyKen View Post
    Wow...yeah, sounds like a real loser of a charger. I've been lucky, both the charger that came with the phone and the car charger that came with my car dock (both Samsung OEM) charge my phone quickly. If I need a REALLY quick charge, I'll use the 1.8-Amp charger from my Nexus 7.
    It was the charger that came in the box, but didn't look like the newest charger. There had also been people talking about their phone taking forever to charge and tried a different charger and it worked. I started wondering if AT&T put the wrong chargers in a few of the boxes. Mine didn't have the smaller plug on the end, it was a larger one.

Quote Originally Posted by KreepyKen View Post
    The phone won't draw more than about 800ma when charging no matter what charger you plug it into.
    PLEASE, when asking for help provide as much information as possible. We can't help unless we know what the symptoms are and what you did before they began.

If I've helped you, please click the "Thanks" button.

Have a Galaxy S3? Click here ==> Everything you wanted to know about your Galaxy S3