Samsung to take over Android?

Ricky Babalu

BEACH BUM
Aug 30, 2010
Visit site
"There is nothing wrong with Android as a product except that it does not do much. It is the equivalent of having a motor scooter at the Indianapolis 500." How can someone so successful in the tech investing arena make such a statement? Apparently this guy thinks Android is in danger of being swallowed up by Samsung. Also, "Android right now is consolidated, it is Samsung and the 78 dwarfs". If you read this article or view the video, there are some other notable quotes.Thoughts?

Roger McNamee Interview
or
McNamee: Big Tech Isn't Trying to Innovate: Video - Bloomberg

Last edited:
Apr 10, 2012
Visit site
Samsung is no doubt the top dog in a world's where they only have to compete with companies like lg and HTC as the other competitors

But as far as taking over android? We will see, they probably have the largest market share out of all the android making brands

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Android Central Forums

Suntan

Mar 16, 2011
Visit site
That guy was actually on Charlie Rose last night.

It's sad that the "visionaries" have such a myopic view on tech trends. The guy clearly has the opinion that android is no good because it doesn't work exactly like apple.

Personally, I think any company can become "the next Samsung." All they have to do is string 7 or 8 consecutive quarters with good product releases, maintain good production quality and quantity, then support the two or three product cycles with good updates.

-Suntan

NoYankees44

Dec 20, 2011
Visit site
Just reading the quotes:

He had some biased but valid points up until I lost all respect for him with this:

?Five years ago, we were all worried about patent trolls?Five years later, who are they? Google, Yahoo, Microsoft, maybe even Apple.?

from my ADR6425LVW

Ricky Babalu

BEACH BUM
Aug 30, 2010
Visit site
That guy was actually on Charlie Rose last night.

It's sad that the "visionaries" have such a myopic view on tech trends. The guy clearly has the opinion that android is no good because it doesn't work exactly like apple.

Personally, I think any company can become "the next Samsung." All they have to do is string 7 or 8 consecutive quarters with good product releases, maintain good production quality and quantity, then support the two or three product cycles with good updates.

-Suntan

Looks like we watched the same show. I then googled him, to learn a little bit more.

Ricky Babalu

BEACH BUM
Aug 30, 2010
Visit site
Just reading the quotes:

He had some biased but valid points up until I lost all respect for him with this:

?Five years ago, we were all worried about patent trolls?Five years later, who are they? Google, Yahoo, Microsoft, maybe even Apple.?

from my ADR6425LVW
Yeah, I forgot to mention that one. I was rolling on the ground laughing at that statement. What a nut!

GrooveRite

Sep 30, 2010
Visit site
Guy was literally touting and lauding the control Apple has/should have in the industry! Thats EXACTLY what I am against!!

crester

Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
I doubt Samsung is going to take over Android because they are making their own operating system... Tizen.

I think the question to ask is... is Samsung going to continue to make Android phones in the future? Or will they eventually switch completely to Tizen when it's ready and stable?

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
He lost me when goes "I'm not an Apple fanboy" when... That's the only thing he praises. The rest he might say oh they doing good.. But apple he lights up and is like this ecosystem is so fantastic and they have superior products..

Yeah... He's not a fanboy.

Sent from my Sprint S3 using AC forums

mazzmoney95

Sep 10, 2011
Visit site
I think the day will come when galaxy and android are synonymous. Like how it was with the moto droid. That day is fast approaching. Once samsung gets their galaxy brand to lower end devices that day will come (and that's happening with the galaxy mini). Google's last push will be the nexus devices. They seem to be gaining a part of the market samsung can't get at.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 2

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
I think the day will come when galaxy and android are synonymous. Like how it was with the moto droid. That day is fast approaching. Once samsung gets their galaxy brand to lower end devices that day will come (and that's happening with the galaxy mini). Google's last push will be the nexus devices. They seem to be gaining a part of the market samsung can't get at.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 2

lol. Have you seen most of Samsung "lower-end" products? The Galaxy name has already been there.

Targon

Sep 1, 2012
Visit site
Samsung is a company that understands that diversity in product lines means that if there is a problem in any one area, it won't sink the company. So, Samsung is keeping the door open for just about any OS so that if there IS a change in trends, it is ready. Right now, iOS and Android are the top operating systems, but since Apple won't let any other company make iOS based devices, Android was the only viable alternative. Windows Phone...will it do well or die? Samsung keeps that door open, but wouldn't switch to it entirely. Tizen may or may not do well, so Samsung wouldn't drop Android for it, unless some lawsuit shuts down Android...and that is why Samsung is going to support it.

Have you noticed that RIM has had problems because it is a one OS company for phones, so if that one platform falls out of favor, it runs into trouble. HTC, Nokia, and others...diversity is the way to make sure you don't die if there is a problem.

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
"There is nothing wrong with Android as a product except that it does not do much. It is the equivalent of having a motor scooter at the Indianapolis 500." How can someone so successful in the tech investing arena make such a statement? Apparently this guy thinks Android is in danger of being swallowed up by Samsung. Also, "Android right now is consolidated, it is Samsung and the 78 dwarfs". If you read this article or view the video, there are some other notable quotes.Thoughts?

Roger McNamee Interview
or
McNamee: Big Tech Isn't Trying to Innovate: Video - Bloomberg

Samsung is sort of at a crossroads.

One the one hand, they're the king of Android right now. They own the Android marketshare. On the other hand, besides making gobs of money on the hardware sales, Samsung success is bringing more eyes to Google's services. Samsung has a few paths it could take.

They could stay the course - continue to develop Android-based TouchWiz devices, while investing a bit in Windows Phone (ATIV) and now their in-house Tizen software.

They could fork Android and create their own software ecosystem (similar to Amazon). Samsung would then own their customers, instead of sharing them with Google.

They could take the pedal off of Android and increase their investments Tizen. Again here, Samsung would then own their customers, instead of sharing them with Google.

mazzmoney95

Sep 10, 2011
Visit site
lol. Have you seen most of Samsung "lower-end" products? The Galaxy name has already been there.

I was talking more about name and design. They finally got a design out there that people recognize. But their lower end galaxy phones are totally different. I think it's safe to say the galaxy mini might be a different breed of mid their phones for Samsung, possibly adding it into their real galaxy line (with the note, the s#, and the tab in a way)

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk HD

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
I was talking more about name and design. They finally got a design out there that people recognize. But their lower end galaxy phones are totally different. I think it's safe to say the galaxy mini might be a different breed of mid their phones for Samsung, possibly adding it into their real galaxy line (with the note, the s#, and the tab in a way)

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk HD

I see more people asking about "S3" or "Note" vs. Galaxy. I don't think Galaxy will ever become synonymous with Android the way DROID just because of how Samsung markets their products.

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
Samsung is a company that understands that diversity in product lines means that if there is a problem in any one area, it won't sink the company. So, Samsung is keeping the door open for just about any OS so that if there IS a change in trends, it is ready. Right now, iOS and Android are the top operating systems, but since Apple won't let any other company make iOS based devices, Android was the only viable alternative. Windows Phone...will it do well or die? Samsung keeps that door open, but wouldn't switch to it entirely. Tizen may or may not do well, so Samsung wouldn't drop Android for it, unless some lawsuit shuts down Android...and that is why Samsung is going to support it.

Have you noticed that RIM has had problems because it is a one OS company for phones, so if that one platform falls out of favor, it runs into trouble. HTC, Nokia, and others...diversity is the way to make sure you don't die if there is a problem.

Because HTC and Nokia are glowing examples of success relative to the competition. Yeah.

Nokia is pretty much all in on Windows Phone right now. So much for diversity.

HTC is struggling with Android and is trying out Windows Phone 8 now.

RIM's problems went beyond only supporting their OS. The market change from business to consumer oriented and RIM couldn't change fast enough (or stubbornly refused to change before it was too late).

Ricky Babalu

BEACH BUM
Aug 30, 2010
Visit site
Samsung is sort of at a crossroads.

One the one hand, they're the king of Android right now. They own the Android marketshare. On the other hand, besides making gobs of money on the hardware sales, Samsung success is bringing more eyes to Google's services. Samsung has a few paths it could take.

They could stay the course - continue to develop Android-based TouchWiz devices, while investing a bit in Windows Phone (ATIV) and now their in-house Tizen software.

They could fork Android and create their own software ecosystem (similar to Amazon). Samsung would then own their customers, instead of sharing them with Google.

They could take the pedal off of Android and increase their investments Tizen. Again here, Samsung would then own their customers, instead of sharing them with Google.

This is exactly what I think will happen.

meyerweb#CB

Banned
Sep 4, 2009
Visit site
Just reading the quotes:

from my ADR6425LVW

Actually, that's about the only thing he got right. Those companies are all spending as much money on patents, and patent lawsuits, as they are on product development.