Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree3Likes
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Global Posts
    136 Global Posts

Default Battery draining fast

Do you guys have any idea on what is draining my battery so fast? I am on JB. As of 2 weeks ago. That's when it seems the fast draining started.

Sent from my Verizon Samsung Galaxy S3
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Battery draining fast-uploadfromtaptalk1358441397938.jpg   Battery draining fast-uploadfromtaptalk1358441409008.jpg   Battery draining fast-uploadfromtaptalk1358441419167.jpg  

Default Re: Battery draining fast

There are so many threads on this issue.

First, is your data in that first screen shot, EDGE or whatever Sprint calls it? Are you in a normal "LTE" area?

Quote Originally Posted by Kelly Kearns View Post

First, is your data in that first screen shot, EDGE or whatever Sprint calls it? Are you in a normal "LTE" area?
    ??? He is on Verizon... It says it on his signature and his 4g symbol says 4g LTE whereas Sprint's says 4g or 3g only.

As for your battery drain do you have a lot of stuff syncing in the background?

Sent from my Sprint S3 using AC forums

Quote Originally Posted by Almeuit View Post
    ??? He is on Verizon... It says it on his signature and his 4g symbol says 4g LTE whereas Sprint's says 4g or 3g only.

I understand that..but that up and down arrow on his first screen shot, I only get that when I'm on edge, not LTE. My phone says "LTE" and I have gold "atenna" waves.

See mine, this is why I was asking.

If I'm not getting an LTE signal but am getting a 4G signal, mine will look like his top one.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Battery draining fast-uploadfromtaptalk1358453015765.jpg   Battery draining fast-uploadfromtaptalk1358453027191.jpg  

Things on that screen don't look bad, but click on your grey bar graph and get a screen shot of that page please.

See mine, this is why I was asking.

If I'm not getting an LTE signal but am getting a 4G signal, mine will look like his top one.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747
    True but always remember each carrier displays that different. Have to recognize what carrier they are on to ask relevant questions. So asking him if he is on edge for Sprint wouldn't make sense because he is not on Sprint .

As for Sprint it always shows the arrows when you're on 3g or 4g. (see pictures below.. One where I'm on 3g now and then when I'm on LTE where it shows 4g) - - just FYI.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Battery draining fast-uploadfromtaptalk1358454857219.jpg   Battery draining fast-uploadfromtaptalk1358454875515.jpg  

HAHAHAHA, I think "Sprint' just came out, cause his sig says "Verizon" on it lol

I have AT&T and I can still be on 4G, but not LTE and then my LTE disappears, I think that is HSPA or something like that, then when it drops to "edge" or I'm wifi, I get those arrows.
  9. Thread Author  Thread Author    #9  

Global Posts
    136 Global Posts

How do you check this?

10. Thread Author  Thread Author    #10  

Global Posts
    136 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Almeuit View Post

I'm not sure. Is that in accounts?

11. Thread Author  Thread Author    #11  

Global Posts
    136 Global Posts

Here is the screen shot someone asked for. Anything look bad here?

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Battery draining fast-uploadfromtaptalk1358463566465.jpg  

Couple of things..your signal is going back and forth, see the green and almost beige, not quite yellow even places in the bar? Generally if I use wifi, there is a black space in the signal bar that matches with the blue in wifi.

You phone is almost CONSTANTLY awake, something is running almost all the time.

Do you keep wifi turned on all the time? Also, do you keep GPS turned on all the time?

Edited to add:

I have heard of one or two having issues with the phone not going into "sleep" when there was nothing running and the phone had to be replaced. Not saying right now that is it, but that is something to keep in mind right now.
  13. Thread Author  Thread Author    #13  

Global Posts
    136 Global Posts

Couple of things..your signal is going back and forth, see the green and almost beige, not quite yellow even places in the bar? Generally if I use wifi, there is a black space in the signal bar that matches with the blue in wifi.

You phone is almost CONSTANTLY awake, something is running almost all the time.

Do you keep wifi turned on all the time? Also, do you keep GPS turned on all the time?

Edited to add:

I have heard of one or two having issues with the phone not going into "sleep" when there was nothing running and the phone had to be replaced. Not saying right now that is it, but that is something to keep in mind right now.
    Thanks for that analysis. I will try turning wifi off because I do have it on all of the time and I will look into seeing what is maybe syncing in the background constantly. I think you do this by check applications. Oh and my gps isn't on. At least not the one in the drop down menu at the top.

Yeah it's a good thing to turn wifi off and then just turn it on when needed, it can drain battery.

One thing you might can do also, do a battery pull, leave it out for 120 seconds at least, boot it back up. Then before you go to bed, do the two screen shots again, keep them until tomorrow and then you get up, do the same two screen shots again and post them and let's look at what it did overnight when you were asleep.
  15. Thread Author  Thread Author    #15  

Global Posts
    136 Global Posts

Will do!

Kelly Kearns likes this.
  16. Thread Author  Thread Author    #16  

Global Posts
    136 Global Posts

This is from this morning. I did a battery pull last night. I went into some apps to turn off the background syncing. There are a couple of things that run in the background constantly such as 2x battery and lookout security.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Battery draining fast-uploadfromtaptalk1358520389481.jpg  

Quote Originally Posted by ducey99 View Post
    This is from this morning. I did a battery pull last night. I went into some apps to turn off the background syncing. There are a couple of things that run in the background constantly such as 2x battery and lookout security.

It's still awake a lot. Lookout shouldn't be pulling battery, it doesn't do that.

What is 2x battery?

Ummmm..battery saver. I don't believe in those, I have found they tend to cause a lot more problems and battery drainage. I'm sure there will be 50 on here that disagree with me, don't bother, I'm speaking from my experience.

If it was me, first thing I would do is remove that battery saving app.

Also, bear with me..bad storm night here last night and have and still have, a bad headache.

Are you rooted?

Go to Application Manager, then "running apps" and screenshot those and let's see what you have running.

After many months now I too am getting some occasional drain issues I can't track down. Happens only every few days. I'll see the battery life and check my phone like an hour later and find a 20% drain for example. Battery indicator doesn't say anything other than screen being the top drainer. Rebooting fixes it. Wonder what is up. I have no push or sync services AT ALL! No scheduled fetch either.

Rev.
    Galaxy S3
    Ubuntu Linux 10.04
    IT Tech

Verizon uses the arrows the gold signal wave things are an AT&T trademark it's part of their advertising.
    Thanked by:
    Kelly Kearns likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Rev2010 View Post
    After many months now I too am getting some occasional drain issues I can't track down. Happens only every few days. I'll see the battery life and check my phone like an hour later and find a 20% drain for example. Battery indicator doesn't say anything other than screen being the top drainer. Rebooting fixes it. Wonder what is up. I have no push or sync services AT ALL! No scheduled fetch either.

Rev.
    I've had a massive drain once, a few have and there are a couple of things that seem to be common..LTE signal strength and another process..can't remember the name, but everyone doesn't have that issue.

My drain was from 100% to 10% in about 6 hours, while I was sleeping..woke me up beeping. I didn't have things running either, but my signal was HORRIBLE. Yup, reboot seems to stop it if you catch it starting.

I hadn't mentioned, I was on the original OS version that was from when I bought it. I just did the two updates - the minor one than I stopped the service and started it again and checked and it found the Jellybean update. Just updated it and all... will report back if the drain continues. So far all seems good with the update, it improved my Quadrant score nicely as well. Only thing is I can't understand why they always change something appearance related. I see the notification bar at the top is now a lighter black/dark grey color. No biggie really, I just liked it darker... blended in. Now it sticks out. When I was on Verizon though with a Droid 2 I was really annoyed by the change to a blue status bar (I hate blue), and a really silly color scheme change to the dialer.

Rev.
    Galaxy S3
    Ubuntu Linux 10.04
    IT Tech

Quote Originally Posted by Rev2010 View Post
    I hadn't mentioned, I was on the original OS version that was from when I bought it. I just did the two updates - the minor one than I stopped the service and started it again and checked and it found the Jellybean update. Just updated it and all... will report back if the drain continues. So far all seems good with the update, it improved my Quadrant score nicely as well. Only thing is I can't understand why they always change something appearance related. I see the notification bar at the top is now a lighter black/dark grey color. No biggie really, I just liked it darker... blended in. Now it sticks out. When I was on Verizon though with a Droid 2 I was really annoyed by the change to a blue status bar (I hate blue), and a really silly color scheme change to the dialer.

Rev.
    They always do that, don't know why. That bar bugged me for the longest, have gotten used to it now. Many of us griped about it in the beginning. When they did the update from Froyo to Gingerbread on the Captivate, they make the bar black and it made the screen just pop and look so much better. Now it is like a "soft black" or charcoal and not a jet black.
  24. Thread Author  Thread Author    #24  

Global Posts
    136 Global Posts

Ummmm..battery saver. I don't believe in those, I have found they tend to cause a lot more problems and battery drainage. I'm sure there will be 50 on here that disagree with me, don't bother, I'm speaking from my experience.

If it was me, first thing I would do is remove that battery saving app.

Also, bear with me..bad storm night here last night and have and still have, a bad headache.

Are you rooted?

Go to Application Manager, then "running apps" and screenshot those and let's see what you have running.
    Not rooted. I'm on stock JB.

25. Thread Author  Thread Author    #25  

Global Posts
    136 Global Posts

On stock JB. And here is all the stuff I have running. There's a lot and I don't use a lot of these on a daily basis.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Battery draining fast-uploadfromtaptalk1358586443466.jpg   Battery draining fast-uploadfromtaptalk1358586454178.jpg   Battery draining fast-uploadfromtaptalk1358586463733.jpg   Battery draining fast-uploadfromtaptalk1358586472674.jpg   Battery draining fast-uploadfromtaptalk1358586481976.jpg  

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast