Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree3Likes
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Question Why is my battery draining so quickly?

Hi there everyone I am new to Android coming from an iPhone 5. So I have had my S3 a couple weeks now & well I do like the phone there are certain things that are making me regret the decision of switching from my iPhone 5 to the S3. The biggest issue I have is battery life & the way this phones battery will just drain down doing NOTHING I have to charge this phone every single day which is very annoying on my iPhone 5 I could go without charging it most of the time 2 days sometimes 3. Last night I charged the phone & like a min after unplugging the phone it drops to 99%. Also when I go to bed lets say the battery is at 68% by the time I wake up its dropped down to 48% how on earth does the phone drop 20% overnight sitting there its very frustrating. Hopefully someone here can help me out give me some answers.

TIA

Default Re: Why is my battery draining so quickly?

While you're sleeping it's working. There are always things going on with sync, signal, deep thinking, etc. Put it on the charger every night. It's a fast processor with a huge screen and all that cool stuff takes a lot of juice. The less you look at it the longer it lasts.
    Blessed are they who can laugh at themselves, for they shall never cease to be amused.

Quote Originally Posted by RkoViper81 View Post
    Hi there everyone I am new to Android coming from an iPhone 5. So I have had my S3 a couple weeks now & well I do like the phone there are certain things that are making me regret the decision of switching from my iPhone 5 to the S3. The biggest issue I have is battery life & the way this phones battery will just drain down doing NOTHING I have to charge this phone every single day which is very annoying on my iPhone 5 I could go without charging it most of the time 2 days sometimes 3. Last night I charged the phone & like a min after unplugging the phone it drops to 99%. Also when I go to bed lets say the battery is at 68% by the time I wake up its dropped down to 48% how on earth does the phone drop 20% overnight sitting there its very frustrating. Hopefully someone here can help me out give me some answers.

TIA
    We need some screenshots. Can you get a screenshot of your battery page and then click on the grey area of the chart on your battery page, go to the history and get a screenshot of that?

Global Posts
    116 Global Posts

the trick with android is in your settings. Only sync or push mail, turn off all other google products you don't use so its not looking for them (photos, browser, picasa etc), turn off face book sync (notifications are ok), twitter sync, any messenger syncs, as they will all update when you open them and you will see a tremendous jump in battery life. These apps run amuck in the background and really burn up the battery. I'm running over 20 hours with mine and 4 hours of screen time with google now and latitude on, its just how you set it up.
    Thanked by:
    jiayee 

These are the ones I'm talking about. Hmmm..I'm not having a great battery day myself lol

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Why is my battery draining so quickly?-uploadfromtaptalk1358453737471.jpg   Why is my battery draining so quickly?-uploadfromtaptalk1358453749563.jpg  
    Philipp Yeo likes this.
  6. Thread Author  Thread Author    #6  

Where can you turn off all the stuff Syncing or see whats on?

Quote Originally Posted by ptm88 View Post
    the trick with android is in your settings. Only sync or push mail, turn off all other google products you don't use so its not looking for them (photos, browser, picasa etc), turn off face book sync (notifications are ok), twitter sync, any messenger syncs, as they will all update when you open them and you will see a tremendous jump in battery life. These apps run amuck in the background and really burn up the battery. I'm running over 20 hours with mine and 4 hours of screen time with google now and latitude on, its just how you set it up.
  7. Thread Author  Thread Author    #7  

Here are those screen shots
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Why is my battery draining so quickly?-screenshot_2013-01-17-15-51-47.png   Why is my battery draining so quickly?-screenshot_2013-01-17-15-52-35.png  

Hmmm...and you have really good signal and your phone isn't going crazy with being awake, I've seen much worse on being awake. One thing I do notice right away, your chrome is using a lot of battery. I've been using chrome on my phone since I had it and then just recently, it started eating up a lot of battery and I took it off.

Do you have power saving mode set?

Also, go to each app you have that gets notifications, twitter, facebook, etc, go into the apps settings and then turn down your "check for new" etc. I really now have mine "not refreshing" especially on my facebook, but still have notifications set and my phone still notifies me if there is a notification.

Also, that big dip you have at the beginning, your screen was on for a while..remember what you were doing then?

And one more thing...have you pulled out the battery and left it out for 120 seconds, yet?

Global Posts
    576 Global Posts

Going nearly 15 hours and having 35% battery life left is actually pretty good battery life...

Quote Originally Posted by crester View Post
    Going nearly 15 hours and having 35% battery life left is actually pretty good battery life...
    Yes that is, didn't notice the 15 hours for some reason..all these battery threads are starting to run together.

I get what I think is really good battery time and using my phone heavily, I generally get 18-19 hours.
  11. Thread Author  Thread Author    #11  

Quote Originally Posted by Kelly Kearns View Post
    Hmmm...and you have really good signal and your phone isn't going crazy with being awake, I've seen much worse on being awake. One thing I do notice right away, your chrome is using a lot of battery. I've been using chrome on my phone since I had it and then just recently, it started eating up a lot of battery and I took it off.

Do you have power saving mode set?

Also, go to each app you have that gets notifications, twitter, facebook, etc, go into the apps settings and then turn down your "check for new" etc. I really now have mine "not refreshing" especially on my facebook, but still have notifications set and my phone still notifies me if there is a notification.

Also, that big dip you have at the beginning, your screen was on for a while..remember what you were doing then?

And one more thing...have you pulled out the battery and left it out for 120 seconds, yet?
    I think I was maybe reading some things online. I haven't pulled out the battery for 120 seconds should I & I am using power saving mode although I don't really think it makes much of a differance

A few thoughts:

1. The GS3 is never going to match the iPhone in battery life. It just isn't. The screen is way bigger and uses more power, and it does much more multi-tasking. If going 2 or 3 days on a charge is super important to you, then take the Galaxy back and stick with Apple. I don't find plugging the phone in every night while I sleep to be an issue at all.

2. It's brand new. You're probably playing with it a lot more than you did your iPhone, which means that big, bright screen is on a lot. Looking at your screen prints, I can see that's true. Once you settle down and start just using it normally, battery life should improve.

3. As others have suggested, turn off or reduce the frequency of syncing. In settings, scroll down to the accounts section, and open each account, and see what the sync settings are. There's a whole bunch of Google cr*p you can turn off.
    PLEASE, when asking for help provide as much information as possible. We can't help unless we know what the symptoms are and what you did before they began.

LG G3 on Sprint. [Stumped and Bumped, Debloated, Startup apps managed, Trickster, Nova Prime, Swiftkey, G3 Tweakbox]--> Runs smooth as silk, now.
    Golfdriver97 and crester like this.

I think I was maybe reading some things online. I haven't pulled out the battery for 120 seconds should I & I am using power saving mode although I don't really think it makes much of a differance
    Well if I'm not using my phone, I can get a couple days plus out of my battery.

At home is your signal good?

Do a screen shot before you put it down for the night and it is charged up then when you get up in the AM, do the screen shots of both screens again and let's see what the stats day then, but go ahead and do the battery pull before you charge it up. The dropping to 99% when you unplug is not abnormal.

14. Thread Author  Thread Author    #14  

Quote Originally Posted by Kelly Kearns View Post
    Well if I'm not using my phone, I can get a couple days plus out of my battery.

At home is your signal good?

Do a screen shot before you put it down for the night and it is charged up then when you get up in the AM, do the screen shots of both screens again and let's see what the stats day then, but go ahead and do the battery pull before you charge it up. The dropping to 99% when you unplug is not abnormal.

Yeah my signal is always good at home & alright i will

Yeah my signal is always good at home & alright i will
    Let's look at the two from right after it is charged and down for the night and then when you get up, see what it is doing when you are asleep and it should be also

Just looked at a screenshot of one right below this thread and that one, the phone is almost always awake and the first screen shot looked "ok" as far as things running, but that 2nd detailed one of the graph, showed a different story.

Did anyone mention about Utilities to detect reason for battery draining?
    I recommend to try app Wakelock Detector

In android there is a technical feature called "wakelock", Apps can keep your phone sleepless by using it.
    The above app helps you to detect those apps which drain your battery,
    Good luck!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Why is my battery draining so quickly?-screenshot_2013-03-27-16-07-56.png  

I downloaded WLD, out of curiosity, and when I try to run it the app tells me my device (Sprint GS3) doesn't support battery statistics. Not too helpful.
    PLEASE, when asking for help provide as much information as possible. We can't help unless we know what the symptoms are and what you did before they began.

LG G3 on Sprint. [Stumped and Bumped, Debloated, Startup apps managed, Trickster, Nova Prime, Swiftkey, G3 Tweakbox]--> Runs smooth as silk, now.

Global Posts
    507 Global Posts

You might also turn your screen brightness down as far as comfortable. Indoor room lighting allows a much lower level than outdoor sunshine. Over the period of a day I average about 2% per hour. On a day of heavy usage it may average as high as 3% per hour. I usually charge overnight, but have two batteries and the external charger. That way if I can not charge overnight I can swap batteries in the morning, or if I have a bad day planned can carry the spare.

There are nights I am on-call overnight so the spare battery keeps going no matter what happens.

Quote Originally Posted by meyerweb View Post
    A few thoughts:

1. The GS3 is never going to match the iPhone in battery life. It just isn't. The screen is way bigger and uses more power, and it does much more multi-tasking. If going 2 or 3 days on a charge is super important to you, then take the Galaxy back and stick with Apple. I don't find plugging the phone in every night while I sleep to be an issue at all.
    Well, what I see is that the S3 uses about twice as much battery when I'm not using it. No syncing, notifications, etc., no background apps that I am aware of, just the usual OS and cell phone stuff going on when the phone is not being used. But the S3 uses at least 1% of battery per hour (or more sometimes) when just sitting around doing nothing. This is with S3 WiFi off (only connects when sleeping when plugged in), and mobile data is off. The iPhone used to use about .5%/hour when sitting around doing nothing (again, no syncing, notifications, etc.).

In this case, the screen is not a factor. I'm very curious about how Apple gets such low standby battery usage, and Samsung (or Android?) cannot get there. And the overall battery usage of the S3 starts there, with higher standby usage, and goes up. That is, you can add the larger display to the higher standby battery usage, and turn on mobile data, and so on, and the battery usage picture just gets worse.

This is obviously not of overwhelming importance to me since I charged my iPhone every night and do the same with the S3, nor do I expect that the above poster has an answer to this, but I keep seeing this theme repeated, the power of the S3 causing more battery usage. Not buying it.

Well, it's easily possible to figure out what's using the battery on your phone. It's possible something may be wrong. Take screen shots, as many others have done, and post them here. But understand there are ALWAYS background tasks running in a multi-tasking OS. the OS itself has lots of tasks that are running. iOS, with it's much less conprehensive multi-tasking, doesn't do nearly as much background processing, I suspect.

I don't pretend to know everything that's going on behind the scenes in Android. And I don't really care. My first statement is true: The GS3 will never match the iPhone in battery life. The extra capabilities make it well worth it to me. On days when I'm on WiFi most of the day, I routinely get 14-15 hours and still have 30% or more battery left. And that's using the phone, not letting it sit idle all day. With background syncing of email and appointments.

Quote Originally Posted by meyerweb View Post
    Well, it's easily possible to figure out what's using the battery on your phone. It's possible something may be wrong. Take screen shots, as many others have done, and post them here. But understand there are ALWAYS background tasks running in a multi-tasking OS. the OS itself has lots of tasks that are running. iOS, with it's much less conprehensive multi-tasking, doesn't do nearly as much background processing, I suspect.

I don't pretend to know everything that's going on behind the scenes in Android. And I don't really care. My first statement is true: The GS3 will never match the iPhone in battery life. The extra capabilities make it well worth it to me. On days when I'm on WiFi most of the day, I routinely get 14-15 hours and still have 30% or more battery left. And that's using the phone, not letting it sit idle all day. With background syncing of email and appointments.
    When I look at my battery setting after my phone has been on standby for some time (6% down after 4 hours today), I don't see anything that I don't expect, Device Idle, Cell Standby, Android OS, Android System at about 88%, about 9% more for the screen (been deliberately using my phone as little as possible today for this, no calls, no texting, no surfing, just sitting there). So pretty much on standby, like I said, down 6% in 4 hours. Not gigantic or tragic, but an iPhone would be down about 2% after 4 hours on standby. By the way, BetterBattery Stats shows about 94% deep sleep.

Please remind me of all those extra features, other than the large screen and NFC (which I don't use *smile*)? I guess I also have a non-stock keyboard, that's a big battery eater *smile*. For myself, I'm using CleanROM 6 R2,(de-bloated stock, essentially) so I've rooted my phone and what not for fun. If anything, I'm using less battery than I was when I was using the stock "ROM". It was similar before I rooted the phone...

Again, this obviously isn't a big thing for me, I like the S3, not headed out to gazelle.com to sell my phone. But I have to wonder about this. And I do understand the dynamics of multitasking (and a lot more *smile*), I've spent 40 years as a software engineer, much of it in the OS business. I believe that the iPhone also has a mutlitasking OS *smile*.

I am having a similar problem. I've done all the suggestions, hardly use my phone and yet I drain 20% of my battery in like 2 hours. The only thing I have synced is mail. Battery setting tells me Android System is using 22%. Wake Lock says Google Maps is my highest usage. I haven't even used it. GPS is off, I tried adjusting the settings but it keeps coming back on. I have to charge my phone twice a day. What do I do?

EDIT/UPDATE: Nevermind! I think I found the culprit. Shazam, though I never used it yet, appears to be the one who was using up all the Google maps. I turned of location and my battery seems to be doing much better now.

Exclamation Re: Why is my battery draining so quickly?

Hi my battery is being killed by its not the sync thats the the problem. Every few weeks an app pops up in my battery usage saying about 78% usage . I unistall the application but then it happens to another app. These apps usely require an internet connection but the internet is turned off. I have checked and they have not be collecting lots of data either. Also when I take my phone off charge it goes down to 92% in about 5 minutes. I have to charge my phone every day and it takes over 3 hours! HELP! ( Ihave an advanced task manager which says all apps are closed.)

i purchased samsung galaxy a couple of weeks back ,the battery is discharging at a very fast rate, before going to bed it was 30% when i woke up it drooped to 30%, how can such a fast discharge yhappens without using the phone, is there any defect in battery???

Quote Originally Posted by Bandi Nirdesh View Post
    i purchased samsung galaxy a couple of weeks back ,the battery is discharging at a very fast rate, before going to bed it was 30% when i woke up it drooped to 30%, how can such a fast discharge yhappens without using the phone, is there any defect in battery???
    Phone is using data probably

Sent from my Google Nexus 7 running aokp 4.1.2 #AOKP-Till-I-Die
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast