Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree33Likes

Default Re: Why are people so interested in wireless charging?

Id rather use a normal charger and wouldn't want to take the wireless ones on holiday as they are bigger

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Android Central Forums

Quote Originally Posted by Andyvalver View Post
    Id rather use a normal charger and wouldn't want to take the wireless ones on holiday as they are bigger

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Android Central Forums
    Why do you assume it would be an all or nothing implementation where if the device has wireless power then it doesn't have a USB port? No mfg is going to be stupid enough to remove a physical charging port in the near future. Sure one day if the technology continues to improve and we have wireless power stations built into everything and everywhere there is an outlet then maybe, but until that time we will always have some sort of physical connection option.

Much like others have stated, I look forward to having a power mat on my nightstand, home office, living room, and work office so anywhere I set my phone down I can get a charge going. Add in a magnetic dock in the car to prop the phone up and charge without having to fiddle with a cable everytime I get in and out and it sounds fantastically convenient.

Now if Samsung would just release the long overdue wireless charging accessories for the S3 I would be happy. I have been waiting since launch for them and none of the 3rd party options seem to offer a replacement backplate for the blue GS3.
    Targon likes this.

Blessed are they who can laugh at themselves, for they shall never cease to be amused.

Global Posts
    9,696 Global Posts
    ROM
    touchejiz

Quote Originally Posted by EvilMonkey View Post
    Yes, there's some insignificant power consumption when you leave things plugged in, and it's minor on a per-device level. But between everything in your house, it does add up. Normally, when people mention Vampire or Standby Power, it's usually not for things like your toaster or a charging cable (although they can be classified as such), but it's for devices that have standby features, like a clock on a microwave or VCR, or the orange standby light on my TV or the red one on my Playstation 3 or my computer monitor's and tower's and webcam's standby lights. Those things draw more power than just my USB charging cable being plugged in, but everything together adds up. ( claims the can make up to 5-10% of your energy cost)

Sometime, turn all the lights off in your house and walk around and see how many standby lights and clocks are glowing, even though everything is "off"....

All that being said, what's one more thing plugged in? I'll take 3 charging mats, please. Take my money!
    My toaster may be a vampire!!?? Say it aint so!
    Lol yeah ive recently started switchin everything off at the wall (not the toaster lol, tv, hifi, chargers etc) mostly coz its costing a fortune heating the place and i can literaly see the pennys drop off the lecky meter.
    Aparently a tv uses 1/3rd of the wattage on standby as when its on? Thats shocking man. I just use a multi-block n am in the habit of switchin it off.
    Ive finally drilled it into my girls brain not to half fill the kettle for 1 cup of tea lol.
    Boiling the full kettle costs 1 ($1.30?)!
    Rant over :beer:

quadcore 1gb GS3, Neat Rom by Salesale. Paisley, Scotland, Western Europe :beer:
    GT-I9300, UK
    Thanked by:
    Who? 
    Who? likes this.

Global Posts
    41 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock - Rooted

While there may not be much practical use for you, the mere fact that this and other accessories were wildly touted in the launch presentation of the phone and never delivered is a big disappointment.

I understand the convenience, but it's not $45 - $150 worth of convenience, for me. Especially given that most days I don't need to plug in more than once during the day.
    PLEASE, when asking for help provide as much information as possible. We can't help unless we know what the symptoms are and what you did before they began.

If I've helped you, please click the "Thanks" button.

Have a Galaxy S3? Click here ==> Everything you wanted to know about your Galaxy S3
  7. Thread Author  Thread Author    #57  

Quote Originally Posted by meyerweb View Post
    I understand the convenience, but it's not $45 - $150 worth of convenience, for me. Especially given that most days I don't need to plug in more than once during the day.
    I charge once per 24-28 hours

Sent from yo moms house son!😎😎Using my SPH - L710 running AOKP Rom 4.1.2, now initiating Swagger
    Android is a tune up sports car with custom interior, sound system, and IOS is a stock model benz

I use Android, because unlike IOS, i keep my apps in app drawers, and not infinitely cluttered homescreens

Quote Originally Posted by cqpearson View Post
    Soon personal devices will charge from the electricity running through your body. No ports, no plugs... truly wireless.
    It's already been done...ask Trinity...or Morpheus...or Neo...yeah, he's the one.

I have been a webOS user since January 2010, and I have 3 touchstones. My last webOS device (a Pre2 on Verizon) died out, so I went to the Galaxy S3. I purchased a touchstone capable back with the induction coil installed off ebay and use my touchstone again! I love my touchstone, well, all 3 of them actually! I haven't named them...yet...hold it, updating my weekend todo list...now I'm back.

I have become very dependent on wireless charging. Having the S3 has made it a little harder, because I can't find a case that will work with the Touchstone charger. There is a thread out there that discusses this, and there may be a couple cases that work. I currently keep mine in an Otterbox Defender. I'm thinking about cutting a hole in the back of the inner case to fit the touchstone. Then, I could pull off the rubber outercase and lay it on the charger. Sounds like some work, I know. But the wireless charging is something I really have grown accustomed to.
    Last edited by Rockbeast; 01-31-2013 at 02:48 PM.
    trucky and cqpearson like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Soundtrack to Chaos View Post
    I personally don't see why or what makes that feature so interesting,I mean, don't to have to charge it for it to charge your device? And doesn't your device have to sit inside the charging dock for it to charge?

Or maybe I'm misinformed ,idk. I mean its not like you can have your device across the room and actually charge it wirelessly ,so in short, i really don't find the feature innovative or anything worth extra money

How do you guys feel about it?

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Android Central Forums
    I would agree it should be more compelling in the future when you can walk into a room or even a building and your phone will just start charging or even if they have that same setup in cars.

I think this would be cool only because they could make completely waterproof cases and it wouldn't affect charging the phone.

Quote Originally Posted by stevedub View Post
    I would agree it should be more compelling in the future when you can walk into a room or even a building and your phone will just start charging or even if they have that same setup in cars.

I think this would be cool only because they could make completely waterproof cases and it wouldn't affect charging the phone.

Maybe as wireless charging becomes more standard, case manufacturers will work on designing cases with the feature that they will charge effectively even when in the case.

I have read that about 5 mm is the maximum distance between induction coils. Assuming 2mm for the casings (1mm for each, the device back and the mat/qi charger), 3mm remains...hopefully many cases will work. My Otterbox Defender is probably a bit much...but I can find a 2mm thick case I like. My experience with the touchstone (I have the Palm Touchstone equipped back for my S3) is that more than 1.5mm prevents charging. When I take my otterbox defender outer 'gel' cover off, the inner hard plastic case adds about 1 to 1.5 mm to the back, and sometimes I can get the charging to work.

I asked over at Energizer about what distance there can be between the charging mat and the device back. Here is the reply the Energizer Bunny gave me...at least I HOPE it was the Energizer Bunny...I trust him...or her. Besides, he/she thought I had a GREAT question...that made me feel special!

Thank you for this great question, I would be happy to assist you. The distance between the pad and the receiver is a critical factor. If the protective case is less than the thickness of a nickel, there is a good chance the charger will work. If the protective case holds the receiver more than a nickel width from the pad, the charger will probably not work.
    A nickel...Jeffersonian or Buffalo? So, buddy can you spare a dime would be fine. But don't "go to double nickel when you hit the ridge..." anybody know the rest of that line or what song it's from? But I digress. I'm hopeful I'll be able to have a good case and wireless charging in the future. But you sure can't beat the deal you can get on those Palm touchstones right now!

Did you see they said great question? I'm so proud.

IMO Wireless charging beats any sort of charging where you have to plug anything in to the phone.

The usb charging port is one part of any phone that breaks often. A Wireless charging mat doesn't need to be powered by a micro/mini usb port.

You don't like the idea of having to charge your charging mat everytime to use it, but isn't that tye same for a portable charger or battery backup? I guess being able to carry it around is a plus, but they're not exactly compact.

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Android Central Forums

Global Posts
    831 Global Posts

Right now its limited but the tech may evolve over time and become part of everything we own tables counters used to power cell phones lamps microwave ovens TVs reducing cable pains who knows how far this could go.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I727 using Tapatalk 2

Global Posts
    1,857 Global Posts
    ROM
    TeamSonicFreeGS3 v9.1

My charging ports broke. I don't feel like getting a new phone as I'm rooted and everything else. Looking into one of these wireless chargers now. Lol
    Ry

Global Posts
    7,186 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by xKrNMBoYx View Post
    IMO Wireless charging beats any sort of charging where you have to plug anything in to the phone.

The usb charging port is one part of any phone that breaks often. A Wireless charging mat doesn't need to be powered by a micro/mini usb port.

You don't like the idea of having to charge your charging mat everytime to use it, but isn't that tye same for a portable charger or battery backup? I guess being able to carry it around is a plus, but they're not exactly compact.

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Android Central Forums
    How fast do these charging pads charge?
    a.k.a. RyZR from HoFo
    Motorola Moto X (164.55.2.ghost_verizon.Verizon.en.US, KitKat 4.4.2)
    Motorola Moto G (173.44.20.falcon_cdma.Verizon.en.US, KitKat 4.4.2)
    Motorola DROID Bionic (98.72.22.XT865.Verizon.en.US, Jelly Bean 4.1.2)
    Google Nexus 7 2012 (KOT49H, KitKat 4.4.2)
    What other devices have I had? Here's my phone timeline.
    Support your favorite Android app and game developers. Pay for apps! And don't block ads!

Community Rules & Guidelines - Mobile Nations Forums

Wireless charging is just a new catch phrase for induction charging. Which is a very old technology with new marketing. It has never gone far since it's limitations are rooted in the laws of physics. It does have a large benefit to battery longevity but other than that is does waste about 40% of it's power to unused magnetic field generation.

Sent from my Transformer TF101 using Android Central Forums
    Ry

Global Posts
    7,186 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by zedorda View Post
    Wireless charging is just a new catch phrase for induction charging. Which is a very old technology with new marketing. It has never gone far since it's limitations are rooted in the laws of physics. It does have a large benefit to battery longevity but other than that is does waste about 40% of it's power to unused magnetic field generation.

Wow. 40%. I'd rather plug my phone in directly.
    a.k.a. RyZR from HoFo
    Motorola Moto X (164.55.2.ghost_verizon.Verizon.en.US, KitKat 4.4.2)
    Motorola Moto G (173.44.20.falcon_cdma.Verizon.en.US, KitKat 4.4.2)
    Motorola DROID Bionic (98.72.22.XT865.Verizon.en.US, Jelly Bean 4.1.2)
    Google Nexus 7 2012 (KOT49H, KitKat 4.4.2)
    What other devices have I had? Here's my phone timeline.
    Support your favorite Android app and game developers. Pay for apps! And don't block ads!

Community Rules & Guidelines - Mobile Nations Forums

Your basic incandescent light bulb wastes about 90% of it's energy as heat, but I still use em all over the place. Jus sayin...
    Blessed are they who can laugh at themselves, for they shall never cease to be amused.

Quote Originally Posted by zedorda View Post
    Please do not take offense, but I don't believe it is that high (40%) in reality. I'm no expert by any means, but I participated and enjoyed reading through a lot of discussions on this regarding the Palm Touchstone in the webOS Central forums over the last 3 years and I seem to recall that folks tested the draw of energy from a touchstone system versus just the straight usb cable connection, both being provided power from the same palm wall plug, and that it was closer to a 10% difference in power draw. Another aspect these discussions considered was the time to charge. If I remember correctly, the induction charging on the Touchstone was a little slower than directly plugging in, but not by much...maybe about 10% (sounds like 10 is my favorite number!). I'll go back and try to find this info to be a little clearer...but I think it may be more efficient than losing 40%, at least in the Palm Touchstone application. But hey, as I alluded to in another post somewhere...Agent Smith can always use any excess power from unused magnetic field generation to maintain the Matrix.

Quote Originally Posted by xKrNMBoYx View Post
    Seriously? I've never broken the charging port on any phone, micro-USB or otherwise. In fact, I can't recall breaking the charging port on any device, ever.

But they're cheap, and I have several left over from old phones. I just leave a charger in all my regular locations, and have a 12 volt charger in my car, so I don't really need to carry one around unless I'm headed out of town.
    PLEASE, when asking for help provide as much information as possible. We can't help unless we know what the symptoms are and what you did before they began.

Have a Galaxy S3? Click here ==> Everything you wanted to know about your Galaxy S3

Quote Originally Posted by meyerweb View Post
    Seriously? I've never broken the charging port on any phone, micro-USB or otherwise. In fact, I can't recall breaking the charging port on any device, ever.

But they're cheap, and I have several left over from old phones. I just leave a charger in all my regular locations, and have a 12 volt charger in my car, so I don't really need to carry one around unless I'm headed out of town.
    Just because you have not had a usb port break on you does not mean it is the same with everyone else. Just like you none of my phones, mp3s, or tablets have had the port broken. It's just the fact these gadgets are mainstream now, and with older people and inexperienced people using them they do break a lot.

In your other case I guess you're right. I'm not here to try to convert you to use a wireless charger. I can care less. You seem to have a stable life so this does not seem to be an issue. But if you're out of the house a lot then you don't have all these wired chargers. I looked at this topic in my current life style, and in this lifestyle [a sad one ] both of the chargers in my car are not working, and am at school (college) most of the time. Neither am I staying put that long.

I guess the end deal, is can we not use wireless chargers, walled chargers, and backup batteries? I have enough chargers for at least one outlet in each room, and then we have enough standard usb cables for use with computers. I wish I could have some valuable information to tell you, but until Samsung releases a wireless charger I have no experience to backup my imagination.

And I'm not trying to convince you wireless chargers are bad, either. I just take issue with the idea that broken charging ports are a common problem. Since I got my GS3 in November, I might have seen 2 or 3 people in the forum complaining about problems with the micro USB port. Hardly an epidemic.

And I don't see where your comments about being out of the house a lot make any difference. A wireless charger still needs to be plugged in to a wall socket, and is no more portable (probably less so) than a standard wired AC charger or car charger. It doesn't just suck power out of the air. Given how you describe your lifestyle, I don't understand how will a wireless charger will help. And you can buy a new car charger for less than $10.

CrackBerry Convert

Global Posts
    3,236 Global Posts
    ROM
    Goldeneye 4.0 + CWM OUDHS

The convenience here seems to be outweighed by the cons: wasted power, can't really use the phone while it's charging, etc.

For some people it's probably worth it to them - and gimmicks often are like that - some people think they're a waste and some people just love gimmicks.

Where this technology would really begin to shine is in mass implementation...instead of just considering my own phone, what if everyone's phone could charge like this? You could have the pad somewhere convenient and multiple people could use it for their phones - me, my girlfriend, a friend who happened to come over. Once it's a commonplace technology, the convenience level increases greatly.

Personally, I have a hard time getting over the fact that it takes more power to charge my phone - and possibly does it slower. That's something they need to improve for sure.

Quote Originally Posted by Rockbeast View Post
    Please do not take offense, but I don't believe it is that high (40%) in reality. I'm no expert by any means, but I participated and enjoyed reading through a lot of discussions on this regarding the Palm Touchstone in the webOS Central forums over the last 3 years and I seem to recall that folks tested the draw of energy from a touchstone system versus just the straight usb cable connection, both being provided power from the same palm wall plug, and that it was closer to a 10% difference in power draw. Another aspect these discussions considered was the time to charge. If I remember correctly, the induction charging on the Touchstone was a little slower than directly plugging in, but not by much...maybe about 10% (sounds like 10 is my favorite number!). I'll go back and try to find this info to be a little clearer...but I think it may be more efficient than losing 40%, at least in the Palm Touchstone application. But hey, as I alluded to in another post somewhere...Agent Smith can always use any excess power from unused magnetic field generation to maintain the Matrix.
    No offense taken but I definitely miss worded the 40% thing. I should of said 40% of the magnetic field is unused but no that 40% is not under load so the power draw is not 40% of the total draw. So over the time of a charge the waste would not be more than 10%-15% of the total but even those margins are pretty sad for the now-a-day green movement. Sorry for such a huge misleading statement.

In the immortal words of Slartibartfast "I would rather be happy than right any day."

Quote Originally Posted by jeffreii View Post
    The convenience here seems to be outweighed by the cons: wasted power, can't really use the phone while it's charging, etc.

...Personally, I have a hard time getting over the fact that it takes more power to charge my phone - and possibly does it slower. That's something they need to improve for sure.
    I did want to say that with my Palm Pre, the phone was pretty usable while on the Touchstone. You had something called Exhibition Mode (not something only on display in New Orleans during Mardi Gras... ) where the phone would display certain information while on the Touchstone. Depending on your setup, you could show the current time, or the weather/forcast, or the status of things like battery, power draw, speed processor was running (using the Govnah app and it's Exhibition enabled data), or a slide show of your photos like a screensaver (oops, there's that Mardi Gras photo I should have deleted!), etc. And, if a call came in, you could answer it while it was on the stone and it would operate in speakerphone mode...or pick it up and it would go to regular handheld mode. I really liked those features. As for the extra cost of energy loss...I don't know. in the grand scheme of things, is the AMOUNT really notable? Maybe it is 10-15% more energy use for the same amount of charging, maybe the time it takes to charge up is increased by 10%. But is the real amount of energy loss negligible or notable? As a percentage, it may not look efficient, but as an actual amount of waste, is it really notable? One can spend fortunes improving efficiency only to save a dime...yes you are more efficient, but at what cost? Technology has its limits...which may get better with time and research...but we do have to operate in the reality of today, while looking at improvements for the future. Whoa...where am I going here? Time to cut off the jello shots!

Oh, by the way, I actually haven't been to New Orleans during Mardi Gras, so I have no idea what I'm talking about...just so you know...
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast