Why are people so interested in wireless charging?

cqpearson

May 30, 2012
Visit site
Soon personal devices will charge from the electricity running through your body. No ports, no plugs... truly wireless.

Most are news watchers. Few are news makers.

SenseMonkey

Jun 4, 2012
Visit site
Id be siked with a wireless charger! I hate having to fiddle with my charger at night when I cant see shhh lol. Placing my phone down and it charging automatically would be bomb son!

Sent from my Behemoth of a phone, the Galaxy Note 2 :D

Targon

Sep 1, 2012
Visit site
Since so many people here have not really answered the question, except to either say they like or dislike it, here is my own feeling on it. For starters, the implementation of "Wireless Charging" can be handled in different ways. The Galaxy S3 and other devices that have support within the device means that you only need the back cover to include support for it, no special cases are needed in this case.

So, with induction charging(what people call wireless charging), you just place your phone on the charging pad, and your phone will charge. No docking connector or anything like that. As a result of the lack of using a physical connection to the phone, you never need to worry about the connector breaking, or wondering if the problem with not charging is caused by the cable. This lack of needing to worry about breaking the physical connector over years of use is by itself a very nice benefit that should not be ignored. It does speed the process of taking your phone off the charger compared to the normal charging methods as well.

The real issue that many seem to feel is that since the back cover that comes with the S3 does not include support for the charging pads, people don't want to pay a lot of money for the back cover PLUS the charging pad.

Now, on the plus side, if you get a back cover that supports the Qi standard, you can get the charging pad of your choice, and are not limited. This is the key difference between the Touchstone version you see people talk about, and the Qi version. Qi is more "standard", while Touchstone is limited to working with a part that is no longer made. Also, I've seen people mention that they don't get the full 1 amp while on the Touchstone, while a proper Qi implementation would make using the wireless charger work as well as plugging in.

Until you try using it for a few days, it almost seems like it is just a marketing tool to include support for it, but really, once you have it, you realize how much you hate having to use a physical connector. I miss it from my Palm Pre days, but want to go with a Qi method, so have been looking for something cost effective.

meyerweb#CB

Banned
Sep 4, 2009
Visit site
Kind of like saying you're wasting water because it's always turned on to your kitchen faucet. You only use water when you turn on the tap. It's the same with chargers, whether they be USB or a charging mat. There is some insignificant drain just from having any charger plugged in, but until you connect something at the other end you're not really using any energy. If you leave your USB charger plugged in or not plugged in for an entire year, I doubt you would see any difference in your overall power bill.

Your analogy is wrong. A charging brick, whether connected to an induction pad or a micro-USB plug, always draws power, unlike a faucet that is turned off. Modern chargers don't draw as much as older designs, but they still draw power. Even if nothing is plugged into the other end.

trucky

Oct 12, 2011
Visit site
Your analogy is wrong. A charging brick, whether connected to an induction pad or a micro-USB plug, always draws power, unlike a faucet that is turned off. Modern chargers don't draw as much as older designs, but they still draw power. Even if nothing is plugged into the other end.

If you read my post again you'll see where I say "There is some insignificant drain just from having any charger plugged in, but until you connect something at the other end you're not really using any energy."

Now I stand by the first part, but the second half has to be viewed in perspective. You are using some energy with any wall wort plugged in, some more than others. Our S3 charger is about 0.2W of consumption with no phone attached. Some energy, not a bunch. I'm not an electrical engineer but that's not enough for me to go buy some carbon credits from Al Gore over. I bet someone smarter than me can calculate out how much I'm wasting by leaving my charger plugged in. No matter the cost I'll still leave it plugged in just because I'm like that. I still have to open the fridge now and then to see if the light is really on.

worwig

Dec 29, 2010
Visit site
If you read my post again you'll see where I say "There is some insignificant drain just from having any charger plugged in, but until you connect something at the other end you're not really using any energy."

Now I stand by the first part, but the second half has to be viewed in perspective. You are using some energy with any wall wort plugged in, some more than others. Our S3 charger is about 0.2W of consumption with no phone attached. Some energy, not a bunch. I'm not an electrical engineer but that's not enough for me to go buy some carbon credits from Al Gore over. I bet someone smarter than me can calculate out how much I'm wasting by leaving my charger plugged in. No matter the cost I'll still leave it plugged in just because I'm like that. I still have to open the fridge now and then to see if the light is really on.

THIS is correct.
About 5 watts when loaded and charging, significantly less but still there, when not loaded.

EvilMonkey

Jun 4, 2010
Visit site
Yes, there's some insignificant power consumption when you leave things plugged in, and it's minor on a per-device level. But between everything in your house, it does add up. Normally, when people mention Vampire or Standby Power, it's usually not for things like your toaster or a charging cable (although they can be classified as such), but it's for devices that have standby features, like a clock on a microwave or VCR, or the orange standby light on my TV or the red one on my Playstation 3 or my computer monitor's and tower's and webcam's standby lights. Those things draw more power than just my USB charging cable being plugged in, but everything together adds up. (this article claims the can make up to 5-10% of your energy cost)

Sometime, turn all the lights off in your house and walk around and see how many standby lights and clocks are glowing, even though everything is "off"....

All that being said, what's one more thing plugged in? I'll take 3 charging mats, please. Take my money!

Andyvalver

Jan 11, 2013
Visit site
Id rather use a normal charger and wouldn't want to take the wireless ones on holiday as they are bigger

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Android Central Forums

mfriedman79

Jun 30, 2010
Visit site
Id rather use a normal charger and wouldn't want to take the wireless ones on holiday as they are bigger

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Android Central Forums

Why do you assume it would be an all or nothing implementation where if the device has wireless power then it doesn't have a USB port? No mfg is going to be stupid enough to remove a physical charging port in the near future. Sure one day if the technology continues to improve and we have wireless power stations built into everything and everywhere there is an outlet then maybe, but until that time we will always have some sort of physical connection option.

Much like others have stated, I look forward to having a power mat on my nightstand, home office, living room, and work office so anywhere I set my phone down I can get a charge going. Add in a magnetic dock in the car to prop the phone up and charge without having to fiddle with a cable everytime I get in and out and it sounds fantastically convenient.

Now if Samsung would just release the long overdue wireless charging accessories for the S3 I would be happy. I have been waiting since launch for them and none of the 3rd party options seem to offer a replacement backplate for the blue GS3.

trucky

Oct 12, 2011
Visit site
Here's one that someone has already done the DIY part for you...

41IPSBxSMUL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

$45 on Amazon
Amazon.com: Samsung Galaxy S3 I9300 Wireless Charger Charging Set, Marble White Back Cover + Touch Stone, Tailwind: Cell Phones & Accessories

funkylogik

May 21, 2012
Visit site
Yes, there's some insignificant power consumption when you leave things plugged in, and it's minor on a per-device level. But between everything in your house, it does add up. Normally, when people mention Vampire or Standby Power, it's usually not for things like your toaster or a charging cable (although they can be classified as such), but it's for devices that have standby features, like a clock on a microwave or VCR, or the orange standby light on my TV or the red one on my Playstation 3 or my computer monitor's and tower's and webcam's standby lights. Those things draw more power than just my USB charging cable being plugged in, but everything together adds up. (this article claims the can make up to 5-10% of your energy cost)

Sometime, turn all the lights off in your house and walk around and see how many standby lights and clocks are glowing, even though everything is "off"....

All that being said, what's one more thing plugged in? I'll take 3 charging mats, please. Take my money!

My toaster may be a vampire!!?? Say it aint so!
Lol yeah ive recently started switchin everything off at the wall (not the toaster lol, tv, hifi, chargers etc) mostly coz its costing a fortune heating the place and i can literaly see the pennys drop off the lecky meter.
Aparently a tv uses 1/3rd of the wattage on standby as when its on? Thats shocking man. I just use a multi-block n am in the habit of switchin it off.
Ive finally drilled it into my girls brain not to half fill the kettle for 1 cup of tea lol.
Boiling the full kettle costs ?1 ($1.30?)!
Rant over :) :beer:

quadcore 1gb GS3, Neat Rom by Salesale. Paisley, Scotland, Western Europe :beer:

meyerweb#CB

Banned
Sep 4, 2009
Visit site
I understand the convenience, but it's not $45 - $150 worth of convenience, for me. Especially given that most days I don't need to plug in more than once during the day.

Rockbeast

Feb 13, 2012
Visit site
Soon personal devices will charge from the electricity running through your body. No ports, no plugs... truly wireless.
It's already been done...ask Trinity...or Morpheus...or Neo...yeah, he's the one.

I have been a webOS user since January 2010, and I have 3 touchstones. My last webOS device (a Pre2 on Verizon) died out, so I went to the Galaxy S3. I purchased a touchstone capable back with the induction coil installed off ebay and use my touchstone again! I love my touchstone, well, all 3 of them actually! I haven't named them...yet...hold it, updating my weekend todo list...now I'm back.

I have become very dependent on wireless charging. Having the S3 has made it a little harder, because I can't find a case that will work with the Touchstone charger. There is a thread out there that discusses this, and there may be a couple cases that work. I currently keep mine in an Otterbox Defender. I'm thinking about cutting a hole in the back of the inner case to fit the touchstone. Then, I could pull off the rubber outercase and lay it on the charger. Sounds like some work, I know. But the wireless charging is something I really have grown accustomed to.

Last edited:

stevedub

Nov 22, 2012
Visit site
I personally don't see why or what makes that feature so interesting,I mean, don't to have to charge it for it to charge your device? And doesn't your device have to sit inside the charging dock for it to charge?

Or maybe I'm misinformed ,idk. I mean its not like you can have your device across the room and actually charge it wirelessly ,so in short, i really don't find the feature innovative or anything worth extra money

How do you guys feel about it?

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Android Central Forums

I would agree it should be more compelling in the future when you can walk into a room or even a building and your phone will just start charging or even if they have that same setup in cars.

I think this would be cool only because they could make completely waterproof cases and it wouldn't affect charging the phone.

Rockbeast

Feb 13, 2012
Visit site
I would agree it should be more compelling in the future when you can walk into a room or even a building and your phone will just start charging or even if they have that same setup in cars.

I think this would be cool only because they could make completely waterproof cases and it wouldn't affect charging the phone.

Maybe as wireless charging becomes more standard, case manufacturers will work on designing cases with the feature that they will charge effectively even when in the case.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
one01