S3 Tips, Tricks, Battery Life (Everything you wanted to know about your Galaxy S3)

meyerweb#CB

Banned
Sep 4, 2009
Visit site
Well, not really everything, but there's been an awful lot of great information written on A/C about the S3. I think if the owners of this phone read the information linked below, it would go a long way toward getting the most out of the phone and improving their enjoyment of this device. And maybe eliminate some of the redundant questions in the forums. Yes, I know some people don't believe in documentation, which is fine, but they're probably missing out on what the phone could be doing for them.

First, while this thread doesn't address rooting, I feel the need for a public service announcement: I want to make one thing very clear to any new (or old) Galaxy S3 owners who are considering rooting their device. I've seen more people brick this model than any prior phone, and I think it's because it has the same name on every carrier.

ROOTING AND FLASHING ROMS ISN'T THE SAME AS INSTALLING AN APP! You can completely kill ("brick") your phone so that you cannot fix it except by sending it off for repair. If you do it wrong, you can't just "uninstall the ROM" and start over. Before you even consider rooting your phone, make sure you read and understand exactly what you're about to do. READ, READ, READ before starting the process. If you don't understand something, ASK FOR HELP FIRST, not after you've already broken your phone.

ALL Galaxy S3 phones are NOT THE SAME. Sprint S3's have different firmware than T-Mobile S3s which are different than AT&T and Verizon and international version of the phone. If you're going to root, be sure you use a process designed for YOUR version of the phone. If you're going to flash a ROM, this is even more critical. Flashing a ROM meant for a different version of the phone will, every time, turn your very expensive cell phone into a very expensive door stop.

Now, back to our normally scheduled programming:

Many of these were written for the ICS version of the phone, and the JB is sometimes a little different, but it's close enough that these are still useful.

Set up Guide
How to set up your new Samsung Galaxy S3 | Android Central

User Interface (TouchWiz) Guide
http://forums.androidcentral.com/sprint-galaxy-s-iii/186165-touchwiz-nature-ux-definitive-guide.html

Tips and Tricks
http://forums.androidcentral.com/sprint-galaxy-s-iii/219829-jellybean-tips-tricks.html
http://forums.androidcentral.com/samsung-galaxy-s3/278622-battery-life-tips-myths.html

Help and How To:
How to disable the water droplet sound on the Samsung Galaxy S3 | Android Central
Top 10 things you need to know about your Galaxy S3 | Android Central
From the Android Forums: What is Kies? | Android Central
How to get a refund on an app from Google Play beyond the 15 minute time window | Android Central
How to take a screen shot on the Samsung Galaxy S3 | Android Central
How to add Home screen apps and widgets to the Samsung Galaxy S3 | Android Central
How to use Pop up play on the Samsung Galaxy S3 | Android Central
Jelly Bean feature: A more functional notification drop-down [video] | Android Central
How to quickly launch apps and camera from the Galaxy S3 Lock screen | Android Central
How to switch applications and multitask on the Galaxy S3 | Android Central
How to use Smart Stay on the Galaxy S3 | Android Central
How to use S Memo on the Galaxy S3 | Android Central
How to replace icons on the Home screen dock on the Galaxy S3 | Android Central
How to set lock screen and security options on Galaxy S3 | Android Central
How to change the font size and style on the Galaxy S3 | Android Central
How to add and arrange Home screens on the Galaxy S3 | Android Central
How to use Motion gestures on the Galaxy S3 | Android Central
How to adjust the call settings on the Galaxy S3 | Android Central
How to organize App icons into folders on the Samsung Galaxy S3 | Android Central

Coming from an iPhone? http://forums.androidcentral.com/general-help-how/137252-apple-users-guide-android.html

Coming from a Blackberry? http://forums.androidcentral.com/general-help-how/141534-blackberry-users-guide-android.html

Samsung official Galaxy S3 manual (different versions depending on your carrier)

https://www.google.com/search?q=sam...s=org.mozilla:en-US:official&client=firefox-a

Last edited:

pkcable

Q&A Team Leader, VR Expert
Ambassador
Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
Re: Everything you wanted to know about your Galaxy S3

Excellent thread!!!!!!! Nice compilation of threads, blogs and guides!!!! :) Good job. :)

Doug Smith2

Jan 20, 2013
Visit site

First time poster, and I am probably a littel behind on stuff so I love all your links. My question is this, is there any solution to reply all to text messages on the Galaxy S3? I have tried Handcent and my assessment so far is that it is a neat app, but if the phone won't reply all neither will the app. I hope I am missing something...

meyerweb#CB

Banned
Sep 4, 2009
Visit site

Doug, people will probably be more likely to see, and respond to, your question if you start a new thread with a subject line that references your question. I've never tried to do this with Handcent (or any other app), so don't know the answer.

FuzzyB

Jan 24, 2011
Visit site
First time poster, and I am probably a littel behind on stuff so I love all your links. My question is this, is there any solution to reply all to text messages on the Galaxy S3? I have tried Handcent and my assessment so far is that it is a neat app, but if the phone won't reply all neither will the app. I hope I am missing something...
try gosms pro. it is the only solution I have found. no excuse that this isnt available in the stock app

- - - Updated - - -

try gosms pro. it is the only solution I have found. no excuse that this isnt available in the stock app

funkylogik

May 21, 2012
Visit site

Excelent stickie Mayor mate and a good thread to link android converts to.
Well done man :thumbup:
Could maybe do with being locked, though..

quadcore 1gb GS3, Neat Rom by Salesale. Paisley, Scotland, Western Europe :beer:

Voliam

Jul 24, 2012
Visit site

Meyerweb, I love this statement "Yes, I know some people don't believe in documentation, which is fine, but they're probably missing out on what the phone could be doing for them." I actually saw a post a while back from someone who said "I just got a <insert phone model>. What can I do with it?" The bigger shame about it is, will most folks even bother to read the info in those links? Most, if not all of that information can be found in the users guide, a PDF file that can be viewed or downloaded from a carriers website (the first thing I did when I brought my phone home). A saying I heard many years ago has been a mantra for me- "If at first you don't succeed, read the instructions". Now that I think about it, I need to include that in my signature profile.

stillmind

Aug 25, 2012
Visit site

First, I'd like to thank Meyerweb for such altruist effort. I truly appreciate it. My question might be a simple one to answer. (I hope) I just purchased a Samsung G III from my carrier ATT since I was entitled to an upgrade. When I called them to activate it -- and cancel the old one, an iPhone4 -- the texts were still going to it, instead of the G III. So I called them, they explained the trouble was at their end, and in a couple of minutes the matter was successfully resolved. I was surprised, however, to notice that all the apps on the old dis-activated iPhone were and still ARE functioning, while they are also working on my Android. Can anyone tell me if I should be concerned about it, even though I'm on an unlimited data plan? Shall I let them know ASAP? This is my first Android experience and I only had the new phone for three days, I'm thrilled with it!

meyerweb#CB

Banned
Sep 4, 2009
Visit site

You might get more information in the AT&T S3 forum, but the short answer is no, don't worry.

You got your upgrade for locking in to AT&T for another 2 years. Any contract (real or implied) for apps you purchased (or got free) are between you and the app developer, not AT&T. With a few exceptions, once you license an app that license is good for as long as you own the device, or even multiple devices on the same account.

The only question, I guess, is whether you got a new SIM card with your Android phone, and both SIM cards are still active? If that's the case, then you may in fact be paying for two lines of service. But if you're just using one SIM and swapping it between phones, or using the iPhone on WiFi, then you have no worries.

stillmind

Aug 25, 2012
Visit site

You might get more information in the AT&T S3 forum, but the short answer is no, don't worry.

You got your upgrade for locking in to AT&T for another 2 years. Any contract (real or implied) for apps you purchased (or got free) are between you and the app developer, not AT&T. With a few exceptions, once you license an app that license is good for as long as you own the device, or even multiple devices on the same account.

The only question, I guess, is whether you got a new SIM card with your Android phone, and both SIM cards are still active? If that's the case, then you may in fact be paying for two lines of service. But if you're just using one SIM and swapping it between phones, or using the iPhone on WiFi, then you have no worries.

Thank you very much! It's all good then, since I'm only on wi-fi on the iPhone. I appreciate your quick response and the advice about the AT&T-S3 forum.

c3dric

Apr 6, 2013
Visit site

Hello, for the music player , is there a way to search for a song ?
And for the S Memo widger, how do we change the memo which is displayed on the home screen?
Thanks

meyerweb#CB

Banned
Sep 4, 2009
Visit site

c3dric, this thread isn't really a Q&A thread. I suggest you start a new thread with an appropriate subject line. Many more people will see it. Unfortunately, I don't know the answer to your question.

c3dric

Apr 6, 2013
Visit site

c3dric, this thread isn't really a Q&A thread. I suggest you start a new thread with an appropriate subject line. Many more people will see it. Unfortunately, I don't know the answer to your question.
I apologise for the wrong section.

krashpass

May 14, 2013
Visit site

One of the classic catch phrases of the early computer age was "it automates everything, leaving you to get on with what matters"
That turned into "now you get to spend hours on the net trying to figure out "How" to get your gizmo to do what it is supposed to do "automatically"
How Much Fun Can One Person Have :)

2013chulis

May 16, 2013
Visit site

hI TODAY I TRY TO BACKUP MY GALAXY S3 AND NOW IT DOESNT TUN ON AND IT ONLY SHOW SAMSUNG ON THE SCREEM I NEED HELPPPPPPPPP

meyerweb#CB

Banned
Sep 4, 2009
Visit site

Please start a new thread with an appropriate subject. No one is going to see you post buried in a thread about a completely different subject.

When you post that new thread, give us some details. How are we supposed to help you when we have no idea at all what you did? A backup shouldn't change anything--it should only copy information from the phone. So tell us exactly what you did: what app did you use to try to back up? Exactly, step by step, what did you do? Where in the process did the problem occur? Was any error message displayed? Are you rooted?

Again, please post all the information in a new thread, not this one.

greeneyedangel

May 19, 2013
Visit site

Okay I need some help with my Samsung Galaxy S3 I just got it about a month ago. My first problem I had was the RAM was getting too full so I started to deleting some apps, pics, and music. That did not help. So I downloaded the Go Taskmanger. That did not help. While I was charging it that day planning to take it to US Cellar and ask them what the problem was a window popped up saying GO LOCKER has stopped working, so I clicked report and my phone stopped responding, just went black. There was a blue LED light on, but that was all. I couldn't turn it off or anything. So I took the battery out and put it back in and everything seemed find, but I figured the problem was something I had on the phone so I reset the phone. Added my some of my apps back got my contacts backed up from my gmail and everything and then this morning a window popped up saying Go sms pro has stopped working and the Go Lancher has stopped working and now it won't let me go to my google search bar and I haven't had great or any internet all morning. Now heres what I've done to my phone before since I've had it. I've had androids before so I downloaded Go SMS Pro and Go Lancher and Go Locker cause I perfer these apps, but if they are causeing my problems I will happily get rid of them. I use facebook, instagram, twitter, and meetme daily, and yes I do have unlimited data. The first week I had problems with my battery life so I googled thing to help that and I was told to disable apps I don't use that are built in. I currently have these apps disabled: Zappos, Your Navigator, Yahoo! News, Yahoo! Finance, Windy weather,Wi-Fi Now, Wi-Fi Direct Share, Wi-Fi Direct, Weather Widget Main, Weather Widget, Top HD Games, Tone Room Deluxe, Talkback, Talk, Tags, Street View, Slacker Radio, S Voice, S Suggest, Polaris Viewer 4.1, Picasa Uploader, Phase beam, Network Location, My files, MusicFX, Music Hub, Moblies TV, Media Hub, Maps, Luminous dots, Let's Golf 3, Kies air, IMDb, Help, Group Play, Google+, Google Search, Google Play Services, Google Play Magazines, Google Play Books, Google Calender Sync, Gmail, Gallery (I use QuickPic), Flipboard, Face Unlock, Exchange Services, Dropbox, Direct share manger, direct connect manger, deep sea, daily perks, city id, bubbles, audibles, appstore, amazon ap3, amazon kindle, amazon,and allshare play. I have Go Power Master to help keep my battery alive longer and Go taskmanger EX to help clean stuff off to help with my RAM. I've turned off the ripple effect. Any advice at all would be very much appreciated.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bluegarland692