Signal bar.

deanodrums

Aug 4, 2012
Visit site
Does anyone know about what the different colours mean? I am referring to the signal bar in the battery status. I think could be the reason for my recent poor battery drainage.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Android Central Forums

Kelly Kearns

Jan 10, 2012
Visit site
Does anyone know about what the different colours mean? I am referring to the signal bar in the battery status. I think could be the reason for my recent poor battery drainage.

Yes, green is good, sometimes there is even a darker green. Yellow is ok, beige is not as good and red is no signal. Pop up a screenshot of it and let's see what it looks like.

deanodrums

Aug 4, 2012
Visit site
uploadfromtaptalk1358663970047.jpg

There is greens,beige,yellow,darker yellow. i mean why so many different colours?
Looking at now and seeing what other posts have said regarding the JB update and signal strength i think this is the main cause of my battery to drian.
I will when i get a day off do a factory reset and start a fresh with the JB update.
What do you think? It might put some of the glitches right?

Kelly Kearns

Jan 10, 2012
Visit site
View attachment 57224

There is greens,beige,yellow,darker yellow. i mean why so many different colours?
Looking at now and seeing what other posts have said regarding the JB update and signal strength i think this is the main cause of my battery to drian.
I will when i get a day off do a factory reset and start a fresh with the JB update.
What do you think? It might put some of the glitches right?

Me? I'm all for factory resets as a preventative measure after an upgrade, a few others aren't so much. Are you having any other issues besides the battery?

Your signal is really fine, my stays yellow to beige most of the time because of something strange with the towers out here and I'm connecting to a far away tower. I still get about 18 hours battery, 15 on a heavy day.

What kind of time are you getting on your battery?

Doesn't look like your phone is awake that much, so far. Use it normal and then do the same screenshot when it is low, let it get down to 5% or so and do the same screenshot and let's see how it look.

deanodrums

Aug 4, 2012
Visit site
Me? I'm all for factory resets as a preventative measure after an upgrade, a few others aren't so much. Are you having any other issues besides the battery?

Your signal is really fine, my stays yellow to beige most of the time because of something strange with the towers out here and I'm connecting to a far away tower. I still get about 18 hours battery, 15 on a heavy day.

What kind of time are you getting on your battery?

Doesn't look like your phone is awake that much, so far. Use it normal and then do the same screenshot when it is low, let it get down to 5% or so and do the same screenshot and let's see how it look.

I used to be able to get what your getting before the JB update. I have evan managd to get a day and a half out of it. I am not one for moaning about the battery as its just common knowledge that the more you use it the more power you use. Easy. I have a charger with me so its fine.
I will do a reset soon. I dont really have any other issues with the phone at all. Just al of a sudden a new update and my battery just wont last as long. Oh maybe when someone calls you and the screen goes off and when you touch teh home button its at the home screen and you have to pull the bar down to end a call. So annoying. lol

I will post another screen shot later on when the battery is down.

Kelly Kearns

Jan 10, 2012
Visit site
I used to be able to get what your getting before the JB update. I have evan managd to get a day and a half out of it. I am not one for moaning about the battery as its just common knowledge that the more you use it the more power you use. Easy. I have a charger with me so its fine.
I will do a reset soon. I dont really have any other issues with the phone at all. Just al of a sudden a new update and my battery just wont last as long. Oh maybe when someone calls you and the screen goes off and when you touch teh home button its at the home screen and you have to pull the bar down to end a call. So annoying. lol

I will post another screen shot later on when the battery is down.

Oh there are some options about the screen and phone calls, if you are talking about the screen shutting off when you are on a call.

deanodrums

Aug 4, 2012
Visit site
Yea while i am on the phone the screen goes off but when yu turn it on again,i normallyuse the home button it takes me to my home screen and you have to pull the bar down to end the call. I figured out that the screen timeout has something to do with it.

Kelly Kearns

Jan 10, 2012
Visit site
Yea while i am on the phone the screen goes off but when yu turn it on again,i normallyuse the home button it takes me to my home screen and you have to pull the bar down to end the call. I figured out that the screen timeout has something to do with it.

You probably have that sensor setting turned on for the screen to go off and then when your take the phone away from your face, the screen comes back on. I have it set for that. If you call to your dialer, then press the menu button and then choose settings, that is in there somewhere. Might be something in the "motion" settings under the main settings of the phone also.

deanodrums

Aug 4, 2012
Visit site
You probably have that sensor setting turned on for the screen to go off and then when your take the phone away from your face, the screen comes back on. I have it set for that. If you call to your dialer, then press the menu button and then choose settings, that is in there somewhere. Might be something in the "motion" settings under the main settings of the phone also.

I have looked at the motion settings and i have them turned off. I have for now just increased the screen timeout for now,see how that works.

Kelly Kearns

Jan 10, 2012
Visit site
I have looked at the motion settings and i have them turned off. I have for now just increased the screen timeout for now,see how that works.

Did you click your dial pad, then click the menu button, then settings and see if the "Auto Screen Off During Calls" is check or unchecked?

deanodrums

Aug 4, 2012
Visit site
Did you click your dial pad, then click the menu button, then settings and see if the "Auto Screen Off During Calls" is check or unchecked?

Yea i had a little look around the settings. I found the "Turn off screen during calls" was checked. So i have unchecked it. Cheers Kelly :)

Kelly Kearns

Jan 10, 2012
Visit site
Yea i had a little look around the settings. I found the "Turn off screen during calls" was checked. So i have unchecked it. Cheers Kelly :)

That's one thing I have found, there are setting EVERYWHERE on this phone. Now I keep that option checked and when I take the phone away from my ear, it facing me, then the screen comes back. Every so often it will get "glitchy" and seem to not recognize the phone is not at my ear and I put it back up to my ear, take it back down and the screen appears. Don't hit the home button, because it will do just that, take you to the home screen. You might need to calibrate the Gyroscope in the phone.

Easy. I have a charger with me so its fine.

I have 2 extra batteries with me, only because when I had the one time plummet, AT&T sent me a new battery and screwed up and did two orders, otherwise I wouldn't have those. I never use my car charger or need to charge when I'm away from home. Once I had to charge when I was away from home, sitting in the ER waiting room with a friend and I played a game that would eat battery, for hours, was on Facebook, twitter, etc for about 8 hours straight. Generally, you should only have to charge this phone once a day, under normal use.

meyerweb#CB

Banned
Sep 4, 2009
Visit site
Last edited:

Kelly Kearns

Jan 10, 2012
Visit site

I don't know if this is accurate or not, but I found this on a google search: system - What's the meaning of signal strength colors in battery usage screens? - Android Enthusiasts

Mine stays yellow to beige, 90% or more of the time and I seldom, ever use wifi, like maybe once every 2-3 weeks, for only a few minutes. Mine is beige to yellow when my bars on my phone are 1-3 bars.

Kelly Kearns

Jan 10, 2012
Visit site

What does the color black mean?

From everything I read and have seen, generally black seems to be when there is no data with your phone. Generally, you will see the black correspond with the blue wifi bar, where you have wifi on, you have a black bar.

Kelly Kearns

Jan 10, 2012
Visit site
Let me post my screenshot. I turned airplane mode on for a bit, you can see where that is. Some times you see black bars with no wifi on, just in random places, but you are in good coverage. I tend to think that is a point where you're phone's radio isn't transmitting for what ever reason. Red is no signal and it will correspond with you having a circle with a line through it. I had this a couple weeks ago when I was in an area with no signal at all.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1358720639955.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1358720639955.jpg
    60.4 KB · Views: 5

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dominic Haar