S3 Questions and issues

pcprik

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
Hello, I got the S3 last Monday and I love it. It's a big jump from my EVO3D. I've noticed there are some quirks that a Google search can't help me with so I've come here.

The first is that some of my settings aren't saved after a reboot. Particularly developer options and 'stay awake while charging' is always reset to off after a reboot. I'm pulling my hair out trying to figure this out. Any help with it would be appreciated. I haven't tried a factory reset yet and don't want to bring it back to Sprint unless I have to. While I was writing this, it reset after turning it on before starting this post.

The second is the batter life. I'm sure I'm used to my EVO3D with an extended Seidio battery. I've been reading some things about how there is a battery drain and haven't seen much improvement with those tips. I have always got an extended battery with my phones for the extra bulk and not having to recharge as often. My question is more about the Mophie Juice Packs. What's the consensus about these here? I'm used to carrying it on my belt because of the extra bulk, so I'll also need a belt clip. I'm not sure what the Mophie's have yet, I just started looking at Amazon for them.

My third question is regarding the 'home' button. I've read that the only way to disable it unlocking the screen is via a code change once it's rooted. This isn't a big deal to me, as I have a temporary belt clip from Best Buy until I figure out which way I want to go (Mophie or Seidio). Is there a way to disable it other than changing code? The post I saw was kinda old so I'm wondering, read hoping, there's a change for it.

Coming from the EVO3D I'm used to the recent programs in the notification bar. I'm sure that's a feature with HTC Sense, but am wondering if there is anything like that within the Samsung UI. My thumb just isn't used to having to hold down the home button to sway between apps quickly.

Other than those things which, realistically, aren't a big deal at all, except the settings being reset, I absolutely love it. The way it hooks up to my laptop is kind of annoying, but I like access to the internal memory instead of just the SD card.

Any help or opinions on those things would be greatly appreciated. Thanks very much for your time.

Kelly Kearns

Jan 10, 2012
Visit site
There are so many battery threads, we have one right now, you should go over to this one, read over and then post over here since a few of us are following this thread:

http://forums.androidcentral.com/samsung-galaxy-s-iii/245817-hack-my-power-drain-post-jelly-bean-please.html

You are right about the developer option, I just tried it, but I keep that off. What you might want to use is "smart stay" that is in the settings, then display. Now if you stop using the phone, it will go dark. Is there a reason you want it awake during charging?

"Home button unlocking the screen" I'm not sure what you are talking about there..mine doesn't unlock my screen.

I only know of holding down the home button to bring up the list of recent apps.

pcprik

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
I've done a few things (fortmatting my sd card from my phone and the *#0011# for WiFi) and they have helped but I'm not sure if I'm so used to my extended that I think there's a problem.

From what I've read about smart stay, it needs the lights to be on in order to see your eyes. I typically read things on it in the dark before I go to sleep and use the stay awake while charging to avoid having to unlock it.

Unlocking was the wrong word. When I press the home button, it wakes the screen, just like what the power button on the side does. I'm wondering if there is a way to disable that so only the power button wakes the screen.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2

GSDer

Jan 30, 2011
Visit site
I think he really meant to say "is there a way to prevent the Home button from turning the screen on?", although I suppose if you don't even use 'Swipe to unlock' that it would go directly to your Home screen if you press the Home button when the screen is off. Anyway, I'm not aware of any way to prevent the Home button from turning the screen on, but I'll see what I can find out.
Regarding a way to bring up the recent task list - I'm a fan of Button Savior: http://market.android.com/details?id=com.smart.swkey - the free version works fine for this purpose.

Sent from my rooted, debloated, deodexed Sinclair ZX-80 running CM -0.001 using Tapatalk 2

Kelly Kearns

Jan 10, 2012
Visit site
I've done a few things (fortmatting my sd card from my phone and the *#0011# for WiFi) and they have helped but I'm not sure if I'm so used to my extended that I think there's a problem.

From what I've read about smart stay, it needs the lights to be on in order to see your eyes. I typically read things on it in the dark before I go to sleep and use the stay awake while charging to avoid having to unlock it.

Unlocking was the wrong word. When I press the home button, it wakes the screen, just like what the power button on the side does. I'm wondering if there is a way to disable that so only the power button wakes the screen.

How much time are you getting out of a charge?

I'm not aware that smart stay needs lights, I think the front facing camera just detects motion and keeps it on.

These two apps might work for you for the task manager. You can put the button on your desktop with these.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.jaisonbrooks.galaxys3.taskmanager&feature=search_result#?t=W251bGwsMSwyLDEsImNvbS5qYWlzb25icm9va3MuZ2FsYXh5czMudGFza21hbmFnZXIiXQ..

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.droidahead.galaxys3_taskmanager&feature=search_result#?t=W251bGwsMSwyLDEsImNvbS5kcm9pZGFoZWFkLmdhbGF4eXMzX3Rhc2ttYW5hZ2VyIl0.

If you search for: home key in the Play Store, good chance you will find an app that will let you disable it or reassign it. I have one that reassigns the double click of the home button, but it won't do just the one click of the home button.

pcprik

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
My time varies. After the WiFi change, it's noticeable. I don't have any numbers but I'd say 12-15 hour max.

I just picked up Mophie pack.

pcprik

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
After a few days with the Mophie Juice Pack, I have to give it two thumbs up. I charge it over night because I play with it a lot, so that's probably 2-3 hours of heavy use. Once I get down to about 40%, I turn on the juice pack and within an hour I'm at 75%. I leave it in the pack cause of the bulk but you could always put it in amd take it out.

Hope that makes sense!