Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By Ricky Babalu
  • 1 Post By Ricky Babalu
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Syncing newly entered Mobile Calendar items with internet Google calendar

When I enter new items into my internet Google calendar (www.google.com/calendar), they immediately appear on my Samsung Galaxy S 3 calendar (Apps --> Calendar).
    However, when I enter a new calendar item into my Galaxy mobile calendar, it doesn't appear on my Google calendar -- not even after going to the Google Ap, and "sync all".

How do I get information entered into my mobile calendar to appear on my internet Google calendar?

Help much appreciated,

-- Saul
    BEACH BUM

ROM
    Stock : Rooted, Unlocked

Default Re: Syncing newly entered Mobile Calendar items with internet Google calendar

I do not use the native calendar, but I might be of some help. In the calendar go to menu>settings>calendar, and check to make sure the account that you want synced is listed if not you can then select "add account".
    funkylogik likes this.
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

Default Re: Syncing newly entered Mobile Calendar items with internet Google calendar

Quote Originally Posted by Ricky Babalu View Post
    I do not use the native calendar, but I might be of some help. In the calendar go to menu>settings>calendar, and check to make sure the account that you want synced is listed if not you can then select "add account".
    Unfortuantely. my calendar is already listed.

-- Saul
    BEACH BUM

ROM

Is this something that worked before and stopped working or has it never worked?

Quote Originally Posted by lubkin View Post
    Unfortuantely. my calendar is already listed.

-- Saul
    The S3 can use multiple calendars, and when you create an event on your phone you need to note which calendar you're actually updating. Assuming you're using the standard calendar app, open the app to any view. Tap the word calendars up at the top. This lists all the calendars that exist on your phone. "My calendar" and "Samsung Calendar" won't sync with Google. Assuming you want to use Google as your default, uncheck the boxes for the other calendars.

When you create a new event, notice that at the top of the detail page is the word "Calendar" with the name of a calendar underneath. The default is probably "My Calendar." Tap there, and change it to your Google account. It should remember that for future new events you create.
    PLEASE, when asking for help provide as much information as possible. We can't help unless we know what the symptoms are and what you did before they began.
    Thanked by:
  6. Thread Author  Thread Author    #6  

It certainly worked before. Previously I had a windows phone. I synced that with my google account; that put all my contacts and calendar into google contacts and calendar.
    Then, when I obtained my Galaxy S3 a little over a week ago, I logged into my Google account, and all of my contacts and calendar appeared automatically on the phone.
    I guess this is the first time that I added a calendar item to my phone -- I can't figure out a way to sync the phone with my Google account, that will put the new phone calendar item onto the Google calendar.

That seems like a problem: often, one wants to enter a new calendar item -- if there is wifi available where you are when you want to enter it, you can enter it into your Google calendar. But if not, and if you don't want to pay your cellphone company $$, it is easy to enter the item into your cellphone calendar -- assuming that that will sync properly.

Weird that it was possible to sync the windows phone with Google, but that there may be problems with an android!

-- Saul
    BEACH BUM

ROM

It certainly worked before. Previously I had a windows phone. I synced that with my google account; that put all my contacts and calendar into google contacts and calendar.
    Then, when I obtained my Galaxy S3 a little over a week ago, I logged into my Google account, and all of my contacts and calendar appeared automatically on the phone.
    I guess this is the first time that I added a calendar item to my phone -- I can't figure out a way to sync the phone with my Google account, that will put the new phone calendar item onto the Google calendar.

That seems like a problem: often, one wants to enter a new calendar item -- if there is wifi available where you are when you want to enter it, you can enter it into your Google calendar. But if not, and if you don't want to pay your cellphone company $$, it is easy to enter the item into your cellphone calendar -- assuming that that will sync properly.

Weird that it was possible to sync the windows phone with Google, but that there may be problems with an android!

-- Saul
    Ok, I just put the stock calendar on my S3 and tested it with my Google calendar. I put events on the S3 and they synced up on my Google calendar. I also input events on the Google calendar and they also synced up on my mobile. So it does work both ways.

***Maybe try to log into Google Calendar on your PC and check the settings there (something might be wonky there).
    Last edited by Ricky Babalu; 01-22-2013 at 07:52 PM.
    funkylogik likes this.

Global Posts
    366 Global Posts

Experiencing calendar sync problem on my S3 (Google calendar to/ from S Planner), but calendar sync on my Galaxy Tab 10.1 (ICS) works well.
    Suspect the problem came with the latest update (I'm on 4.1.2 at the moment)

Any news on this issue?
    JoranG
    Wannabe kewl

Global Posts
    675 Global Posts
    ROM
    Wicked Sensations TW-JB

On Dec 14 2012, google dropped sync services. My last calendar sync (phone to calendar) was Dec 17th. Do not expect google to fix this.
    "I drank what!?!?!" ~Socrates
    "Man is the lowest-cost, 150-pound, nonlinear, all-purpose computer system which can be mass-produced by unskilled labor." ~NASA, 1965
    New users, click here!!
    Sprint Sammy GS3 | MB1 | Wicked Sensations JB v2.1 | TWRP 2.4.3.0

-- Saul
    Weird that you apparently didn't read the post immediately above yours. I'll give you 3 to 1 odds it answers your problem.
    PLEASE, when asking for help provide as much information as possible. We can't help unless we know what the symptoms are and what you did before they began.

Quote Originally Posted by Buddlespit View Post
    On Dec 14 2012, google dropped sync services. My last calendar sync (phone to calendar) was Dec 17th. Do not expect google to fix this.
    I just added an event to my Google account on the phone, and it showed up on Google Calendar about a minute later. The Google Sync service that's being shut down is for syncing via Exchange Active Sync, and has nothing to do with syncing your Android device to Google Calendar.
    Thanked by:

What sort of problem are you having. You haven't given us enough information to help.
  13. Thread Author  Thread Author    #13  

THANKS!

I finally understood your advice -- and it works perfectly! Now my mobile calendar is my Google calendar -- which of course syncs automatically with the Google calendar in the Google cloud.

-- Saul

Thanks!..It shouldn't be this hard.

It's not this hard - if the OP simply downloaded https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...droid.calendar there would have been no problem. If you're going to use Google services on the Web then you should be using Google apps on the phone; if you decide to use the stock Samsung apps, then you should use their services (like S Planner) OR learn something about how the stock apps work so that you can get the desired results. It's that simple.

Sent from my rooted, debloated, deodexed Sinclair ZX-80 running CM -0.001 using Tapatalk 2

Quote Originally Posted by GSDer View Post
    It's not this hard - if the OP simply downloaded https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...droid.calendar there would have been no problem. If you're going to use Google services on the Web then you should be using Google apps on the phone; if you decide to use the stock Samsung apps, then you should use their services (like S Planner) OR learn something about how the stock apps work so that you can get the desired results. It's that simple.

Sent from my rooted, debloated, deodexed Sinclair ZX-80 running CM -0.001 using Tapatalk 2
    Considering the OP clearly stated it was a new phone and that he didn't have this issue on his other phone, it seems obvious that he/she didn't realize the calendar on the S3 wouldn't automatically sync to Google. If he/she had, they wouldn't have needed to ask a question. I never understand people that come to a help forum and put down people for asking questions and not magically understanding how to use their mobile device just by purchasing it.

Sent from my totally awesome Sprint Galaxy Nexus, even if I don't know all its secrets yet.

Global Posts
    120 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by GSDer View Post

S Planner works fine with Google Calendar. You just need to make sure that you have the correct Google account checked under Calendars. I like the S Planner layout and the reminders so it's what I use. I tried the Google Calendar app and uninstalled it and went back to S Planner.

One shouldn't be expected to have to download a different calendar to sync with Google. And, in fact, one doesn't.

I don't, however, think it's unreasonable to expect the purchaser of a new computer (which is what these phones are) to expend some time and energy learning how the phone works. That learning can take multiple forms: Just spending time with the phone, going through all the settings on the phone and menu options in the apps you use; going to an online site such as this one and reading (there are a couple of dozen articles on the S3 on this site alone -- see the link in my sig; downloading the manual for your phone, and actually reading it; and spending some time reading what's already been posted in this forum.

I understand we were all newbies once, and I'm more than willing to answer the same questions over and over again. I've answered this one multiple times. But I do wish people would make some effort to learn what their device is capable of, and how it works. For their own benefit, not mine. I learned all kinds of tips and tricks that make me more productive with my phone by searching through AC.

Quote Originally Posted by meyerweb View Post
    But I do wish people would make some effort to learn what their device is capable of, and how it works.
    And for some people that effort is finding a place where they can ask questions. Maybe you have weeks and weeks to figure out how to get your calendar to sync, but for most people it is essential and they need it to work instead of getting frustrating over and over. I still stand by my initial statement that this is a help forum so people are allowed to get whatever kind of help they come here for instead of being told they should have figured it out for themselves.

A nice way for you to put the part about the other ways to find information was to say, "Since you just got your phone, you might also want to check out... You'll find lots of useful information that might help you going forward." That's a lot nicer than "I don't know why you needed to ask this when the information is readily available." If you don't want to answer the question again or another what you consider basic question for the same person, then don't. If people not reading their manuals before coming here bothers you, then stay away from threads asking "how to" and just chat with the people that are experts on Android and discuss what Google is going to do next. Think before posting your frustration at someone who came for your help.

Sent from my totally awesome Sprint Galaxy Nexus, even if I don't know all its secrets yet.

-- see the link in my sig; downloading the manual for your phone, and actually reading it; and spending some time reading what's already been posted in this forum.
    And by the way, you have no sig on Tapatalk so the person would not see your links just like I can't. Also, the manual for my phone talks about being able to send "quick replies" when answering your phone. Do you know why? Because the phone was released with ICS. The day I got my phone, it updated to Jellybean 4.1.1 and that feature was removed, so reading the manual would have been a bit of a time waster. Just like now when I complain that my clock doesn't have a timer, but if I was up to 4.2.2 it would and the manual wouldn't tell me how to use that either.

Not sure why you're attacking me in this way. I never said "i don't know why you asked this...." I did point out the answer to one poster's question was directly above his question. Posting in an existing thread and not even bothering to read that thread is just lazy.

And I didn't say that people should spend weeks trying to solve a specific problem. Are you deliberately misstating my position to bolster yours? I've answered this question, and many others, repeatedly, without criticizing people for asking questions that have already been asked before. What I did say is that I think people should make an effort to learn how their device (heck, any purchase, not just phones) works and the capabilities it offers. They're short-changing themselves by not doing so.

I firmly believe I've helped more people on this forum than all but a few other members, and judging by your post history I've helped way more than you have, so don't get all high and mighty on me.

Quote Originally Posted by gnr_2 View Post
    A
    Of course, if you spent some more time researching your phone, instead of criticizing me, and posting in the "ban the poster above you" thread, you might know more of it's secrets.As far as the sig goes, that post is also stickied in the S3 forum, so even tapatalk users can find it. If they bother to actually read.

It's truly ironic that you attack me for criticizing other posters, which I didn't do at all, while you're busy criticizing me.

Hey
    Not sure why you're attacking me in this way. I never said "i don't know why you asked this...." I did point out the answer to one poster's question was directly above his question. Posting in an existing thread and not even bothering to read that thread is just lazy.

And I didn't say that people should spend weeks trying to solve a specific problem. Are you deliberately misstating my position to bolster yours? I've answered this question, and many others, repeatedly, without criticizing people for asking questions that have already been asked before. What I did say is that I think people should make an effort to learn how their device (heck, any purchase, not just phones) works and the capabilities it offers. They're short-changing themselves by not doing so.

I firmly believe I've helped more people on this forum than all but a few other members, and judging by your post history I've helped way more than you have, so don't get all high and mighty on me.
    Maybe I misunderstood your response to be in response to my original post and that is what that person said. I was grouping both of the statements since you seemed to be defending the first person. I wasn't saying you said it, I'm just constantly seeing it in forums and it's not nice. So while maybe you are able to bite your tongue, there are many others that aren't. Also, the second post was about making assumptions.

And there was never a new question posted in this thread. The person that brought it back, made a comment.

Of course, if you spent some more time researching your phone, instead of criticizing me, and posting in the "ban the poster above you" thread, you might know more of it's secrets.As far as the sig goes, that post is also stickied in the S3 forum, so even tapatalk users can find it. If they bother to actually read.

It's truly ironic that you attack me for criticizing other posters, which I didn't do at all, while you're busy criticizing me.
    REALLY!? Really? That's just stupid.

I've had my phone for nearly 8 months and know how to use it just fine. Sorry I like being social and you really should just delete that because it's just petty.