Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Exclamation will s3 get all the coming android updates?

I am planning on buying the samsung s3 but i was wondering with jelly bean 4.2 will be available for it and if other future updates will be available too?
    or i was planning on buying the nexus 4 because its by google so it was always get the latest android update. but i like s3 betetr but i just want to know if it will always be up to date like the nexus 4.
    please help me. im currently waiting to 'find out this so i can go and buy a new smartphone

thank you

Global Posts
    19 Global Posts

Default Re: will s3 get all the coming android updates?

It depends on what Samsung wants to do. With nexus, Google decides the upgrade.

Some Samsung devices are updated but not all. And it usually takes a very long time.

Also, there have been rumors about Samsung galaxy s4. I believe android central.com has the story

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Android Central Forums

Global Posts
    19 Global Posts

If u want to be sure about a major update, always go with nexus devices. Google always upgrade nexus first before everything else

Global Posts
    19 Global Posts

Another option is to root your phone. But never recommended for anyone who just wants to use the phone. There is always a chance of you bricking the phone.

I think it's likely it will get 4.2 and Key Lime Pie in some form at some point, based on the fact that the SII is now getting Jellybean and that's coming up to 2 years old.

Global Posts
    716 Global Posts

The S3 is currently on 4.1.1, with 4.1.2 available in some places, but not others(waiting for the carriers to sign off on it right now). 4.2 does not add a ton of things that Samsung has not already provided, so it is POSSIBLE it will be skipped. Key Lime Pie has not been officially announced at this point, so no one can say for sure if we will get it or not, but with the dual-core processor with 2GB of RAM on some, and the quad-core processor on others, there should be no problem with our devices being able to handle KLP. As a result, and since Samsung makes so many of the components in the phone, I expect that we WILL get KLP.

The Nexus phones get all the updates first, since they are considered "reference designs", but they don't get the benefit of individual manufacturer additions. I like Touchwiz, so it is worth waiting on official updates. Some people MUST get the very latest Android version, but the split screen that is added with 4.1.2 looks like it would be more interesting for me than most of the features in 4.2.

Also keep in mind that you can also go with the Note 2 since it is a bit newer, so would be SLIGHTLY more likely to get KLP. I figure we have at least an 80 percent chance of KLP to come to the S3.

Samsung has apparently said it will upgrade the S2 to JB, so it seems likely the newer S3 will get KLP. But no one really knows yet.It will depend in part on the carriers, not just Samsung, so it's possible some carriers could roll out KLP while others don't.
    PLEASE, when asking for help provide as much information as possible. We can't help unless we know what the symptoms are and what you did before they began.

LG G3 on Sprint. [Stumped and Bumped, Debloated, Startup apps managed, Trickster, Nova Prime, Swiftkey, G3 Tweakbox]--> Runs smooth as silk, now.

Nobody knows for sure, but I think it's safe to say that no, the S3 won't be getting every future update. Obviously it will have an end-of-life and won't be getting updates in 2030. Well, actually it is pretty popular so maybe it'll have an underground "retro" community pushing updates to it then.

Regardless, you're probably safe for the next couple of iterations (at least Key Lime Pie).

Global Posts
    2,989 Global Posts
    ROM
    CM 10.2

It depends on Samsung... I think Key Lime Pie will be the last of the updates (if they continue to support the S3 beyond 4.1.2) What I mean is that KLP probably won't be pushed to S3.
    http://sanuja.com | SGH-I747M
  10. Thread Author  Thread Author    #10  

thank you everyone. ill keep that in mind lets hope for jelly bean *fingers crossed*

Quote Originally Posted by salonibaloni View Post
    thank you everyone. ill keep that in mind lets hope for jelly bean *fingers crossed*
    Where are you? You should most likely already have Jellybean...I'm on Verizon and I have 4.1.1 and have had it for a few months now. Non-US phones already have 4.2.1 I believe.

The way I look at it is you should have whatever version is the most stable and bug free possible. Just because 4.1.2 or 4.2 is available doesn't mean it's the best fit for the SGSIII.

Example my old NS4G (Sprint Nexus S 4G) was built around Gingerbread and even though it received official updates to ICS and JB 4.1.X it still performed best with Gingerbread in most people's opinion.

I guess what I'm saying is even though a carrier or OEM promises the device is future proof of getting the next official Android it may still come down to the best version of android was the version it released with because that's what it was built and optimized around on the drawing board.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Android Central Forums
    Paul
    Moderator Team Leader @ Android Central

I am the Tegra Champ. What this means is that from time to time NVIDIA might send me new products to try out. This will not affect my thoughts, ideas, or opinions about any product that are discussed in the forums. Those are still my own.

Global Posts
    595 Global Posts
    ROM
    All stock for now.

Most S3 models are already getting jelly bean. I would be very surprised if the S3 doesn't get key lime pie. The major issue is the amount of time it will take Samsung to push out the updates. Nexus devices will always get updates first.

Sent from my HTC Rezound using Tapatalk 2

ROM
    Back to Stock TW

Quote Originally Posted by mhans311 View Post
    Most S3 models are already getting jelly bean. I would be very surprised if the S3 doesn't get key lime pie. The major issue is the amount of time it will take Samsung to push out the updates. Nexus devices will always get updates first.

Sent from my HTC Rezound using Tapatalk 2
    I'd speculate that with the 40 million S3's sold at this point there is enough justification for Samsung to provide the KLP ROM. Couple that with the JB ROM that the S2 just got there is precedent. However while I have no doubt that Samsung will provide the ROM the question is not how long it will take Samsung to push the updates but rather how long if ever will the carriers take? I could easily see AT&T never dropping the KLP ROM or more likely they will wait for the S4 to not only be released but be on sale for quite a while, then when the S3 has been relegated to the free phone bin they drop the upgrade.
    Banned

Global Posts
    5,774 Global Posts
    ROM
    Something JB

Has there ever been a phone that got updates in one area but not another?

For instance, the SGSIII international getting Lemon Meringue and the US versions not (just a hypothetical)

Global Posts
    19 Global Posts

Its possible. In my case, HTC sensation. The tmobile version is always the late one. The international version was upgraded first before the tmobile one.