I like Google now but...

toilet-handle

Sep 16, 2012
Visit site
It is constantly keeping my maps open and draining my battery in one hour it went from 100-92. I've had Google now disabled for awhile and last night decided to try and give it another chance, guess it's still not ready.

Paul627g

AC Moderator All-Star
Nov 25, 2010
Visit site
Yes Google Now does eat up battery but that is expected. I look at it as a glorified widget and most will agree that widgets are known battery hogs

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Android Central Forums

funkylogik

May 21, 2012
Visit site
Dont get me started on Now.
Has anyone EVER had a news card?
It doesnt even recognise Scottish football teams!

Can i freeze it but still have google search for finding contacts and long lost apps on my phone or should i just disable/freeze Maps?

quadcore 1gb GS3, Neat Rom by Salesale. Paisley, Scotland, Western Europe :beer:

Paul627g

AC Moderator All-Star
Nov 25, 2010
Visit site

Can i freeze it but still have google search for finding contacts and long lost apps on my phone or should i just disable/freeze Maps?

quadcore 1gb GS3, Neat Rom by Salesale. Paisley, Scotland, Western Europe :beer:

Your choice funk. If you don't need maps then freeze it or if your rooted then delete maps out.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Android Central Forums

funkylogik

May 21, 2012
Visit site
Id uninstall but i need Maps sometimes but ive learnt that disabling it doesnt work so ill freeze it with MyBackup Pro.
Someone told me a widget that can freeze/unfreeze a particular app when u want but my stupid memory has forgot :(
Had a look for Now as an app but im guessin its built into the firmware?
Even its weather isnt accurate here lol... major dissapointment.
So its Maps thats eatin the battery then u think and not the actual Now entity?
Gona freeze Maps now.
If anyone knows of that widget, please pipe in :)

funkylogik

May 21, 2012
Visit site
....just realised Maps has only used 0.1% batt'
Is that coz ive been at home since last charge i take it?.....

Joe113

Jan 1, 2012
Visit site

That's just you!!! If you use Google A LOT like I do then you're sure to get plenty of cards. Right now I have 7 cards and that's pretty low for me.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Android Central Forums

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1359056119611.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1359056119611.jpg
    44.3 KB · Views: 68

meyerweb#CB

Banned
Sep 4, 2009
Visit site
That's just you!!! If you use Google A LOT like I do then you're sure to get plenty of cards.

I think Joe has this right. The more you use Google apps like search, maps, gmail, and maybe even YouTube, the more Now will have to work with, and the more cards it will show you. Whether those cards have real value is another question.

meyerweb#CB

Banned
Sep 4, 2009
Visit site
Yes Google Now does eat up battery but that is expected. I look at it as a glorified widget and most will agree that widgets are known battery hogs

Really? Not in my experience. I only use a few widgets, but none of them every show up in the list of battery use or cpu use. It will depend a lot, I suppose, on whether they're using the radio to update data, and how frequently, but it's simply not true that all widgets are battery hogs.

Tkbredx

Apr 8, 2012
Visit site
Guess I've been having pretty good battery with Google now. But i also changed one of the maps draining problems on the s3 (must be rooted to fix it). Google now never takes battery life away. I love it!

Paul627g

AC Moderator All-Star
Nov 25, 2010
Visit site
It will depend a lot, I suppose, on whether they're using the radio to update data, and how frequently, but it's simply not true that all widgets are battery hogs.
Thats the point exactly. Most widgets do hit the radio-web frequently to update the data so its eating away at the battery even at idle.

funkylogik

May 21, 2012
Visit site
That's just you!!! If you use Google A LOT like I do then you're sure to get plenty of cards. Right now I have 7 cards and that's pretty low for me.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Android Central Forums

Bro. B4 the US election, i did SO many searches for obama, election, results, 2013 in differing orders and i got NOTHING!
i read a lot about the troubles in the middle east... got no card about the joke of a ceasefire. Honestly it only gives you weather and travel info here, combined with calender entrys.
Its pish (where i happen to live)

funkylogik

May 21, 2012
Visit site
Maybe scotland should look closer at windows phones... we always luvd Nokia.

We gona be an independant nation again soon, maybe we'l get recognised then :)

meyerweb#CB

Banned
Sep 4, 2009
Visit site
Thats the point exactly. Most widgets do hit the radio-web frequently to update the data so its eating away at the battery even at idle.

I'd change "most" to "some" in your statement. Aside from that, many widgets let you customize the update frequency to minimize battery life. I've monitored cpu usage and battery usage by app, and my widgets never show up as significant contributors.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
I'd change "most" to "some" in your statement. Aside from that, many widgets let you customize the update frequency to minimize battery life. I've monitored cpu usage and battery usage by app, and my widgets never show up as significant contributors.

This. I have a few widgets and use Google now for a few cards... No issues on battery drainage. If it helps I set things like weather cards by GPS... Then turn GPS off. It then remembers the last location to update instead of pinging my location every time it updates.

Sent from my Sprint S3 using AC forums.

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1359123652707.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1359123652707.jpg
    52.3 KB · Views: 32

Tkbredx

Apr 8, 2012
Visit site
I wish you could use multiple Gmail accounts as I use different emails for things being shipped and what not. I don't like those sites sending mail to my real personal email. I'm paranoid of spam. Lol

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
I wish you could use multiple Gmail accounts as I use different emails for things being shipped and what not. I don't like those sites sending mail to my real personal email. I'm paranoid of spam. Lol

Sounds like you need to buy from more reputable sites then :p

Sent from my Sprint S3 using AC forums.

meyerweb#CB

Banned
Sep 4, 2009
Visit site

You can. From within gmail, go to settings, and click "add account" at the top right.

Sounds like you need to buy from more reputable sites then :p

Even reputable business send advertising mail. You can generally opt out, of course. But I use a separate account for commercial email and personal email. I don't mind getting ads from companies I do business with, but I prefer to keep them separate from personal and business email.

EvilMonkey

Jun 4, 2010
Visit site
I was impressed it told me I needed to leave 10 minutes early for a meeting because of traffic problems between my office and where my meeting was. Nice.

I do have some trouble with the voice feature. Like I'll try to say "Text Amy (my wife) I'm on my way home" and sometimes it does it fine, but frequently it just says "contact not found" (and the it does recognize the words the same). It's weird.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Laila Nance