Samsung Galaxy S3: WiFi connection problems since firmware upgrade

meyerweb#CB

Banned
Sep 4, 2009
Visit site
Re: Samsung Galaxy S3 wifi connection problems since firmware upgrade

I don't think rooting will affect this. Have you tried resetting the router, deleting the WiFi connection for that router from your phone, rebooting, and recreating the WiFi connection on the phone?

stslimited84

May 14, 2013
Visit site

I don't think rooting will affect this. Have you tried resetting the router, deleting the WiFi connection for that router from your phone, rebooting, and recreating the WiFi connection on the phone?

Yep. I've reset the router, done a factory reset of the phone, deleted wifi connections and recreated. It picks and chooses the router it wants 2.4 ghz to work on. Super annoying.

Just changed firmware on my router to ddwrt, still no change. this is really angering me.

anybody out there with a solution?

Last edited:

GSDer

Jan 30, 2011
Visit site

stslimited84,
So, you've tried a couple of different routers with the same results?
Were they configured as A, B, G or N (exclusively)? Or mixed?
Has your phone been able to connect to WiFi reliably anywhere at all?
What brand/model were the 2 routers? Did they have current firmware?
What firmware/radios are you running on the phone?

Sent from my rooted, debloated, deodexed Sinclair ZX-80 running CM -0.001 using Tapatalk 2

stslimited84

May 14, 2013
Visit site

stslimited84,
So, you've tried a couple of different routers with the same results?
Were they configured as A, B, G or N (exclusively)? Or mixed?
Has your phone been able to connect to WiFi reliably anywhere at all?
What brand/model were the 2 routers? Did they have current firmware?
What firmware/radios are you running on the phone?

Sent from my rooted, debloated, deodexed Sinclair ZX-80 running CM -0.001 using Tapatalk 2

Yes sir. At my house I've tried the Verizon standard issue actiontec and my Linksys e4200. The linksys I've tried with up to date stock firmware and DD-WRT. The phone has no problem with 5 ghz in either instance. Its the 2.4 ghz thats the issue. I've tried configuring it in everyway i could think with no luck. Different channels, different bands, etc. The phone is running JB 4.1.1 stock.

The funny thing is they access 2.4 ghz with no issue at multiple places such as public wifi, parent's house, etc.

I should note my g/f has the same phone with the exact same problem.

stslimited84

May 14, 2013
Visit site

For posterity, I just retried the 2.4 on both the actiontec and the linksys...same result. connection but unstable, unreliable, unusable

GSDer

Jan 30, 2011
Visit site

You won't like my answer - with no real evidence to back it up, I think you need to try another router. Since your phone does seem to work in other places, with other routers; and since this isn't a widespread problem with GS3s in general - I'd suggest borrowing a router from a friend, and giving that a whirl. Heck, I think I have an older D-Link router that I could send you.

itic

Feb 20, 2013
Visit site

UPDATE-

Seems like TM is well ware of the issue. Theyve actually created a process that includes doing a factory reset and then reverting the phone back to 4.1.1 and then keeping the phone from auto updating to 4.1.2. i dont feel all that comfortable about doing the factory reset on mine own but it sounds like either i can do it or o can go to a store and have them do it.

Ever since the 4.1.2 firmware was pushed to my S3 i can still connect to wifi @ work, router type unknown, but not to my belkin router @ home while my N7 has no problem. ive reset my cable modem and router but no go. My data and phone signal strength is also lacking as well. Its tnice to hear im not alone but it sucks that this being a known problem isn't being looked into or resolved.

:cool:

Last edited:

chirag05

May 18, 2013
Visit site

I'm just losing my mind altogether. I have been a user of iOS for long time and last week i switched to GS3 but ever since I purchased the phone I have been experiencing wifif issues. it takes at least 4-5 times to connect to wifi network. I even dialed " *#0011# " n turned the wifi power saving mode off and also did " Forget network" and renetered all the details.
It all went in vein. Please somebody suggests what to do. I'm being very anxious.
there's one more inquiry: I'm newbie here so I don't know how to ask a question here. Help me.
Thank You

chirag05

May 18, 2013
Visit site

Hi Ann
I have been experiencing the same issues for last two weeks and like you I have also tried all the tricks but still my phone fails to connect to wifi network. actually my phone does connect tow wifi eventually but it takes like 4-5 attempts and sometimes even more than that. In case ya were able to overcome the problem please also help me.
THanks

chirag05

May 18, 2013
Visit site

I have been experiencing wifi issues i tried everything mentioned above except" factory reset setting" . as much as i want to do that i wanna know how to back up the data first.

Ann Jandia

Apr 4, 2013
Visit site

So, after contacting my router's manufacturer and getting a snarky remark from them I finally replaced my router. In my final opinion, jelly bean isn't completely compatible with several routers, including my old one. Oversight on their part? I don't know and I'm tired of trying to guess. I know it's a tough fix, having to replace an otherwise working router but maybe you can find a used one cheap or use a freecycling program to get one for free.

My old router was a dlink router and new one is Netgear.

itic

Feb 20, 2013
Visit site

Please wait for a Samsung Agent to respond.

Chat Information All Samsung Agents are currently assisting others. Thanks for your patience. A Samsung Agent will be with you shortly.

Chat Information You are now chatting with 'Pamela'. There will be a brief survey at the end of our chat to share feedback on my performance today.

Chat Information Your Issue ID for this chat is LTK11179064662X

Pamela: Hi, thank you for contacting Samsung Technical Support. How may I help you today?

Visitor: since 4.1.2 was pushed to my phone the performance of the phone has suffered to the point of not being reliable, This is a very serious thing ot me, Ive called my provider t-mobile and they has suggested i contact you b/c they have no control over the OS pushed through the network. This is NOT a random issue. There are a lot of people like me that love the device but the reliability issue is huge

Pamela: I'd appreciate it if you could give me a detailed description of the problem to assist you better.

Pamela: Not to rush you, are we still connected on the chat?

Visitor: Pamela, since 4.1.2 was pushed to my phone the device has suffered from no wifi connectivity, poor signal and data strenght and ose of battery capacity. Ive doen everything except a hard reset. And from what ive read that doenst do any good either. Please tell me that you are either allowing us to revert back to 4.1.1, correct the 4.1.2 bugs or allow us to return our phones.

Pamela: I am sorry to hear that you are having issue with the WIFI connectivity and signal strength of the device.

Pamela: May I know the exact error message you see on the device screen?

Visitor: Because of these issues since samsung pushed 4.1.2 my phone is no longer reliable.

Pamela: I apologize for the inconvenience caused to you.

Pamela: Is the AT&T smart WIFI enabled on the phone?

Visitor: No its t-mobile and wifi is always activated so i could connect to my home network once i walked into the house. And the battery capacity has gone down

Pamela: Please let me know the model number of the Samsung device. From the home screen tap on applications >> settings >> about phone>> model number . Please follow the steps to get the model number.

Pamela: It has been a while since I?ve received a message from you. Are you still with me?

Visitor: t-mobile T999

Pamela: Thank you for the information.

Pamela: May I know the exact error message you see on the device screen?

Visitor: There is not a "exact error message. Ive described the symptons of 4.1.2. If you use google ypoull see im not the only one...

Pamela: I am sorry there are no reported issue on the device you are using.

Pamela: Please perform the Soft Reset to troubleshoot the issue that you are facing with the device. This should fix the issue.

Pamela: 1. Turn off the handset.

Pamela: 2. Remove the battery and wait for 30 seconds.

Pamela: 3. Reinsert the battery and turn ON the device.

Visitor: Ive done everything BUT a hard reset. I really your dismissal of the issue concerning. I didnt pay $549 if knew that i was going to end up with near bricked phone just due to a stupid firmware update. This issue is WELL documented due to the push of 4.1.2 yet samsung hasnt fixed it since it started in 10/12.

Pamela: From the home screen tap on applications >> settings >> about phone>> base band version. Please follow the steps to get the base band version for the phone.

Visitor: the base ban version is T999UVDMD5

Pamela: I will be right with you.

Pamela: I have rechecked the information on your request and I see that there are no such reported issues on the device after update to Android 4.1.2, however in this case I request you to contact Samsung voice team for further information.

Pamela: You can contact our voice support at 1-888-987-4357, Mon-Fri: 7 AM - 9 PM (CST), Sat: 9 AM - 6 PM (CST).

however in this case I request you to contact Samsung voice team for further information. doh.......

Last edited:

Charles Digges

May 19, 2013
Visit site

Same problem. I upgraded to 4.1.2 over 4g, but the internet connection on my 1 day old phone has never seemed to work anyway. After purchasing and downloading the 4.1.2 upgrade over 4g, I brought it home to download the rest of the apps I wanted via wifi: The error message I keep receiving from my home signal, which the phone indicates is "strong" is "network disables, poor connection." This is really silly cause the internet connection is running a MacBook Pro and an iPad and NEVER and my HTC Sensation never had problems hooking up to the inet signal.

I've tried the *#0011# approach as well as forgetting and renentering the home network but none of that seems to work.

Any ideas>?

stslimited84

May 14, 2013
Visit site

UPDATE-

Seems like TM is well ware of the issue. Theyve actually created a process that includes doing a factory reset and then reverting the phone back to 4.1.1 and then keeping the phone from auto updating to 4.1.2. i dont feel all that comfortable about doing the factory reset on mine own but it sounds like either i can do it or o can go to a store and have them do it.

Ever since the 4.1.2 firmware was pushed to my S3 i can still connect to wifi @ work, router type unknown, but not to my belkin router @ home while my N7 has no problem. ive reset my cable modem and router but no go. My data and phone signal strength is also lacking as well. Its tnice to hear im not alone but it sucks that this being a known problem isn't being looked into or resolved.

:cool:

Sorry for the delay in responding, ive been afk :p

Tmobile is recommeding reverting to 4.1.1? I have no problem doing that if somebody has instructions on getting 4.1.1. i did a factory reset already as suggested earlier in the thread to no avail. I do believe it is the phone's software/hardware...NOT my routers as other devices have no issues connecting on either band.

is that the new consensus here? i really would like this issue resolved

chirag05

May 18, 2013
Visit site

I hope the new much touted update Android 4.2.2 not only brings the new features but also solves the wifi glitches. If anybody knows the releasing date of Android 4.2.2 official please share.

itic

Feb 20, 2013
Visit site

Your completely right i cant revert back to 4.1.1. But sure wish i could..When i called back after waiting for the so called instructions to master reset by phone and return it back to 4.1.1i was told i was misinformed by the t mobile tech and to call samsung. i called samsung but was put on endless hold so i hung up. Then i called my router manufacturer belkin. We changed the IP from dynamic to static and wifi broadcast to a single channel on my belken N300 router i was able to connect like a charm. Then last night i got home and noticed my phone wasnt connecting to the router automatically anymore. So i tried the airplane mode trick, turn it on then turn it off, and my phone connected instantly.

i rely on wifi calling @ home b./c i dont have any phone service there. i think my issue is that at home my wireless network is among 3 others within say 100' feet of each other. So this could be the reason why my router changes are holding and why i dont have any phone service. i wonder if this why only some people have this jellybean issue and others dont? But then again when i was on ATT i always had phone service. Any help is appreciated...

nico gs3

May 23, 2013
Visit site

I recently went to turkey for 2 weeks. Everyday and night i connected wifi to all and sundry . Lots of differennt bars shops and resturants. Which told me theres nothing wrong with my gs3 wifi. Got back home, tried to connect to Virgin media shub. Guess wat . Didnt connect.seems the wifi on the phone doesnt like the hub setting 300mbs. So i went into hub settings , 192.168.0.1 . Advanced and changed it to 54 mbs. Wifi has been constant working and no drops.happy times.hipe this helps

Last edited:

nico gs3

May 23, 2013
Visit site

reset does not work, reset my gs3 twice , also *#0011# does not work. or shut down restart , no. been told its 4.1.2 update prob, the phone used to have auto, 2.4ghz and 5ghz choice but this has been removed from phone. not totally savvy bout this , but seems very plausable, will have to wait for 4.2.2. hope it will sort it
just an addittion to my earlier post, i was at afriends house who has orange livebox wifi. my phone connected via wifi straight away and kept a stable connection.
on arriving back home i tried to connect to my virin media super hub, surprise surprise it didnt connect. obtaing ip address , disconnecting, low signal when i have strong.
seems like the phone doesnt like virgin

hi all , i contacted o2 and told them about my wifi problem, the guy kept blaming my virgin super hub, he would listen till i told him my partners and daughters phones (sg3`s ) and computers all connect without a fuss.i see he said. so he said my phones mac address settings could be wrong and not compatible with virgin. he then asked me if i had registered my wifi i said i dont think so and didnt understand. he said send a text ( wifi to 2121) i had a message back saying thankyou for your wifi reset request, you will be able to register your device using this mobile phone number in approx 1 hour.
with half hour i looked at my phone and bloody hell my phone was connected to my wifi , this was at 9pm 1st june it is now 6.42 2nd june and the phones wifi is still strong and stable

Last edited:

chirag05

May 18, 2013
Visit site

Guys plz do something about the problem. This is Androids worldwide community page. Isn't there nay genius who can help me to solve this glitch.
I'm frustrated now, each time I connect to net it fails. When I see my other friends having GS3 connecting to wifi perfectly I feel jealous. It takes me at least 4-5 attempts to connect.
Please help guys.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Android Central Forums

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Laila Nance