Screen Won't Timeout After Missed Call

NativeTxn

Feb 9, 2011
Visit site
So I had noticed that periodically, the screen on my Galaxy S3 (AT&T) would stay on and wouldn't timeout properly. My "lock screen" is set with no password, pattern, or otherwise (simply swipe to unlock). I have the phone set for the menu buttons to turn off after 6 seconds and the screen to turn off after 30 seconds. However, it would be fine for a while and then all of a sudden stop turning off and just stay on until I pushed the power button to turn the screen off. I turned off Smart Stay and have been through multiple menu options "resetting" them, etc.

I searched online and found others who had the same/similar problem. It seems as if I have narrowed it down to the fact that it happens after I have a missed call. I have tried replicating this and the only time I can replicate the problem is if I call the phone so that I "missed" the call, and even though it was working perfectly prior to the missed call, after the missed call the screen starts staying on until I manually turn it off.

Resetting the phone (both using the power button or pulling the battery) resolves the problem, but only until there is another missed call.

I've run searches both using Google and through Android Forums, but have yet to see any solution other than resetting the phone and hope you don't miss a call.

Has anyone else run into this problem? And if so, has anyone else found a solution? It seems ridiculous that I would have to restart the phone every time I get a missed call just to ensure that the screen turns off as it should.

I'm stock, running APEX Launcher on JB 4.1.1 (I747UCDLK3). I was hoping that this might be resolved with the rumored firmware update, but as of now, I'm told my software is up to date so the problem remains.

NativeTxn

Feb 9, 2011
Visit site
For now, seems to be working all right regardless of which launcher I am in when the missed call comes through. I tried a missed call while I was in TW and it timed out as it was supposed to. Switched it back to Apex and it worked immediately after the switch. Tried another missed call while in Apex and it also timed out properly.

So hopefully it will continue to work as it should because I have not done anything special to the phone.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
I can confirm this on my S3 running Nova Launcher. After a missed call I have to manually always lock my screen otherwise it will sit and stay on.

Sent from my Sprint S3 using AC forums.

NativeTxn

Feb 9, 2011
Visit site
Well, it's back to not timing out properly again. I had a missed call this morning, and now the screen is staying on unless I manually turn it off.

The only difference I can think of from the last time when a missed call didn't affect the timing out process is that this time, I had SwiftKey 3 as my default keyboard, and the time when it didn't prevent proper time out, I had Smart Keyboard Pro set as the default keyboard.

Quite annoying...

kid_drew

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site
I can confirm the same behavior on my GS3. I get a lot of calls, many of which I don't answer, and I have to pull my battery 3 or 4 times a week. If I neglect to reset my phone and I leave it unplugged at night, I wake up to an empty battery.

Samsung, fix this already. Clearly everyone is having the same issue.

jeffreii

CrackBerry Convert
Apr 20, 2012
Visit site
I've never had this problem until this week. Now I can't find a solution. Anyone get anywhere with this? It does seem to be happening after missed calls...and only temporarily fixed by a reboot.

On stock 4.1.1 with Nova.

ramblin66

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
I've found that my screen protector is causing this. Seems the screen is very sensitive and the screen protector is recognized as "activity".
Took the screen protector off and the problem went away.

GSDer

Jan 30, 2011
Visit site
I can't reproduce your problem. Running 4.1.2, with Nova, and pattern lock.
I manually turned the screen off, then had someone call which turned the screen on while the phone was ringing. Just a few seconds after the missed call ended the screen turned itself off.
If there's a different scenario that you see the problem under let me know and I'll try to reproduce that.

Sent from my rooted, debloated, deodexed Sinclair ZX-80 running CM -0.001 using Tapatalk 2

meyerweb#CB

Banned
Sep 4, 2009
Visit site
I've occasionally run into situations where my screen wouldn't time out (not related to a call). It would dim, but stay dim forever. A reboot fixed it.

I'm running Nova and Swiftkey, and don't have this problem. I'm willing to bet there's some piece of software on your phone that's causing this behavior. Figuring out what can be a PITA, but I think that's your best bet for resolving the issue.

tixetsal

Apr 28, 2013
Visit site
I have the same problem on a stock image with root injected. After I miss a call, my phone stops automatically turning off the screen. I have to bounce the phone to re-enable timeout.

GSDer

Jan 30, 2011
Visit site
These phones don't bounce too well; they generally make a "thud" and that's about all :rolleyes:
Can you be a little more specific? Do you mean that you reboot the phone? Or manually turn it off?
What version firmware are you running?
Are you using a swipe/pattern/PIN/password lock, or none at all?
Any 3rd party lock screen apps/widgets?
What are your settings for:
- Settings -> Display -> Screen timeout
- Settings -> Lock screen -> Lock automatically

Sent from my rooted, debloated, deodexed Sinclair ZX-80 running CM -0.001 using Tapatalk 2

tixetsal

Apr 28, 2013
Visit site
If they're not bouncing right for you guys, then you're not throwing them correctly. "Bounce" is network-speak for reboot, yes.
I followed mrRobinson's method on an SGH-I747, 4.1.1
I'm using password lock because my SD card is encrypted.
I don't have any 3rd party lock screen apps or widgets. My phone is pretty much stock other than the injected root and all of the bloat that I disabled via Application Manager.
30 second timeout, no smart rotation, smart stay is on, Default font, normal size, Battery percentage and adjust screen tone are on.
Secured with password, Swipe lock is on, Secured lock time is 1 hour.

I'm not sure if you're interested in screenies of all of those submenus, but I will happily provide more information if anyone thinks that this problem can be resolved.
The issue of the screen no longer timing out really does seem to be related to missed calls, as far as I can tell, which is how I found this thread.

These phones don't bounce too well; they generally make a "thud" and that's about all :rolleyes:
Can you be a little more specific? Do you mean that you reboot the phone? Or manually turn it off?
What version firmware are you running?
Are you using a swipe/pattern/PIN/password lock, or none at all?
Any 3rd party lock screen apps/widgets?
What are your settings for:
- Settings -> Display -> Screen timeout
- Settings -> Lock screen -> Lock automatically

GSDer

Jan 30, 2011
Visit site
That network-speak gets me all the time...
No screenshots necessary - sounds like the main difference in your setup is the password lock; I'm using a pattern lock, without the swipe lock (I tried that before but it was just another step that didn't add anything useful). I also only have a 2 minute secure lock.
I'll try a password lock and see if I can reproduce your issue (although I'm on 4.1.2).

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kthompson9705kt