Replace weather widget with clock

nanx

Jan 26, 2013
Visit site
I had to disable location (only turn on when using navigation) because it was super draining my battery. Now the accuweather widget is useless and taking up space, but I still want to time and date. How to I get rid of that huge widget but enable time and date?

meyerweb#CB

Banned
Sep 4, 2009
Visit site
First, having location turned on shouldn't kill your battery. Having the various check-in settings turned on will, but letting your phone track it's location via cell towers costs nothing. It's got to constantly check its location anyway, otherwise it wouldn't receive any calls.

But the answer to your question is easy. Tap and hold the weather widget. Wait for the trash can icon to appear at the top of the screen, then drag the widget to the trash can. To add a new widget, tap and hold on a blank area of the screen. When the menu pops up, tap "Apps and Widgets." Select the Widget tab at the top of the screen, and scroll left or right until you find the widget you want. There are lots of them. Tap and hold the widget, and when your home screen appears let go. The widget may prompt you for some setup options.

nanx

Jan 26, 2013
Visit site
My battery usage said 50% was going to "maps", even though I have not used maps or navigation in weeks. When I turned off the location settings, this stopped. Is there another way to keep "maps" from running all the time?

V J

Jan 18, 2013
Visit site
My battery usage said 50% was going to "maps", even though I have not used maps or navigation in weeks. When I turned off the location settings, this stopped. Is there another way to keep "maps" from running all the time?

Settings > Location Services

Use wireless networks CHECKED
Use GPS Satellites UNCHECKED

This way you can still get your weather widget updated based on your interval preferences (I suggest every 3 hours) without google maps killing your battery in the background. Alternatively, if you don't wanna use the weather widget anymore then leave them both unchecked if you have no use for location services. Also, you will need to re-enable GPS satellites if you wish to use google maps/navigation again, but there's an easy toggle icon for GPS in your pull down notification bar (doesn't toggle location by cellular networks).

meyerweb#CB

Banned
Sep 4, 2009
Visit site
This, but even more important:

Settings > Google > Maps and Lattitude: UNHECK Report from this device, Enable location sharing, and both check-in items.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AmeliaRodriguez