Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default got some questions.

well once i will be gettin some money in and saved up i will be making the switch to the S3 from the 4S. well here are the questions i got for yall.

1. i will be using a family member's upgrade which has a iphone so going to the 4S, from 3GS isn't going to be tough for my grandma (made a deal I have to pay for the phone to get it) so swapping sims is no big deal but from reading here it will work i just won't have LTE, which doesnt bother me that much. the iphone i have now sees 4g and E. and that is fast enough for me

2. i got a iPhone dock radio do they have one for the S3 if not the one i have as aux in on it so no big deal for me.

3. i got a usb/Bluetooth radio in my truck its a Sony xplod older model its works great with the 4S. got back when i had the 3GS.

4. just asking how much would it cost to get a new sim card

Global Posts
    959 Global Posts

Default Re: got some questions.

Quote Originally Posted by myIphone4s View Post
    well once i will be gettin some money in and saved up i will be making the switch to the S3 from the 4S. well here are the questions i got for yall.

1. i will be using a family member's upgrade which has a iphone so going to the 4S, from 3GS isn't going to be tough for my grandma (made a deal I have to pay for the phone to get it) so swapping sims is no big deal but from reading here it will work i just won't have LTE, which doesnt bother me that much. the iphone i have now sees 4g and E. and that is fast enough for me

2. i got a iPhone dock radio do they have one for the S3 if not the one i have as aux in on it so no big deal for me.

3. i got a usb/Bluetooth radio in my truck its a Sony xplod older model its works great with the 4S. got back when i had the 3GS.

4. just asking how much would it cost to get a new sim card
    For #3. My S3 works well via USB with the Sony stereo in my truck. Don't have Bluetooth so no experience there.

I'm not aware of any dock radios for any Android phones. A search of Amazon or Google should answer the questions for sure, though.

My S3 BT works perfectly with the BT in both of my cars.

I'm on Sprint, so have no idea about sim cards.
    PLEASE, when asking for help provide as much information as possible. We can't help unless we know what the symptoms are and what you did before they began.

If I've helped you, please click the "Thanks" button.

Have a Galaxy S3? Click here ==> Everything you wanted to know about your Galaxy S3
  4. Thread Author  Thread Author    #4  

Thank yall for the info i am hoping to get one with out much trouble

- - - Updated - - -

Thank yall for the info i am hoping to get one with out much trouble

Yeah, I'm not a big fan of dock radios anyways (which are out of date as soon as a new phone with a different shape hits the market). I just opted for a bluetooth stereo, which will work for years regardless of phone.
  6. Thread Author  Thread Author    #6  

Thank ya for the advice.

Also i found a S3 at&t white at the local wal mart for $100 didnt say of it was new or refurbished

Kinda strange if you ask me.
  7. Thread Author  Thread Author    #7  

should i buy it. the description matched the S3, i didnt ask them maybe this weekend i might have enough for it. so if it is a $100 that is a good thing so it would be cheaper.
  8. Thread Author  Thread Author    #8  

is there any way to download apps from google play with out the phone? i have about 25 apps bookmarked right now everything from games through tools. i have a feeling that if i try to download 5 at a time its is going to take forever so i plan on do some now, then the next day and so on. then when i get the phone i can load then up and start using it

since i am coming from apple to android would a virus protection be worth it?

Another thing many iOS converts seem to miss are the Badge Notifications (those little red #'s on the App icons).
    The ones I converted personally were surprised Android didn't do it...but there's a way to achieve it, here's how--> [HOW-TO] Guide to Global Badge Notifications
  10. Thread Author  Thread Author    #10  

thanks for the link. it might come in handy when i get more messaging apps

right now the badge icons on my 4S are only for calls messaging, facebook, and email. other then that i keep them turned off including the led alert.

also can i use a yahoo account with out downloading any apps
  11. Thread Author  Thread Author    #11  

well guys/girls. been talking to att via live chat and found out that i can keep the new sim card, etc

i plan on getting otter box defender, how good is it in the sun light? and drops works great with my iphone i have now but didnt now about how it works with the new phone would it help the sd card issue that i have been reading on?
  12. Thread Author  Thread Author    #12  

is it worth getting this .. the only downside i see to this is batt usage and it moniters every message. remember iphone diesent get virus easy i can visit any website with the phone that would harm my pc. is this a major problem?

is it worth getting this ...
    IMO, nope.
    Thanked by:

is it worth getting this .. the only downside i see to this is batt usage and it moniters every message. remember iphone diesent get virus easy i can visit any website with the phone that would harm my pc. is this a major problem?
    Nvr had any problems at all visiting sites and getting viruses. If u do ever find one....it will mostlikely be from a unknown source for downloading apps ect.

Sent from my Galaxy S3
    Just a cool guy

ROM
    Unrooted with Nova Prime

It's never a BAD idea to have virus protection. Viruses can be delivered a number of ways, and with all the hacking going on of companies lately, it's not unreasonable to think viruses can be proliferated from normally innocuous sites. There have even been instances of viruses getting into the official Play Store and Apple AppStore.

So if want to put some virus checker on your phone, go ahead. It's not going to hurt your phone in any way. I have been using Lookout for a long time. There's no noticeable extra battery drain and it scans apps as they're installed. It also scans the whole phone once a week.
    Thanked by:
  16. Thread Author  Thread Author    #16  

What concerns me is that it can look at my messages, phone calls, etc. so that is a concern to me.

But, i guess you take good with the bad.

Sadly it will be another 2 weeks before i can achieve greatness.

What i cant figure out is rooting (is it kinda like a jail break where my warranty flys out the window, is it safe to root? if i do i am not changing the rom or any features, etc i just noticed that there are apps for those that have rooted phones.

What concerns me is that it can look at my messages, phone calls, etc. so that is a concern to me.
    Lots of Apps do that like any 3rd party SMS App for example so I don't think you should be concerned about that.
    If it was from a sketchy Dev, sure, but they're a known/proven Dev.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Android Central Forums
  18. Thread Author  Thread Author    #18  

thanks for the advice. how would i know if its from a trusted source? i know there is a a option to turn on a filter but would it be worth it?
  19. Thread Author  Thread Author    #19  

another app: need advice (system tuner)

is this for root users only or can i use it with out rooting

Certain parts seem to require root so you can only use the non-root features.
  21. Thread Author  Thread Author    #21  

would it be worth rooting to get the extra features? i know jailbreaking it was great. but caused issues with phone crashing, etc

Global Posts
    11,775 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock for now

That seems like a cool app although im not a fan of the task manager kill all feature or the auto killing of memory Since most people think that having alot of free memory is a good thing they will end up sitting there killing apps all day thinking they are doing themselves a favor. But besides that i like the backup and freezing options and the CPU settings although i would suggest alot of reading be done before you start playing with CPU settings.

rooting in itself will not just cause crashes, all rooting does is give you administrative rights on your phone , changing things once you have root may if you change the wrong thing. What features do you want that you think you need root.
    If i've made life easier buy me a Macchiato
  23. Thread Author  Thread Author    #23  

i was reading about how the phone preforms faster and gets better batt life. other then that none that really catches my eye, but your right it can get messed up so i wont worry about rooting the phone since it can do all the features that i wanted with a jailbroke iphone
    Just a cool guy

ROM
    Unrooted with Nova Prime

But, i guess you take good with the bad.

Sadly it will be another 2 weeks before i can achieve greatness.

What i cant figure out is rooting (is it kinda like a jail break where my warranty flys out the window, is it safe to root? if i do i am not changing the rom or any features, etc i just noticed that there are apps for those that have rooted phones.
    RE: Antivirus software being able to look at your messages - I wouldn't worry about this. Lookout, Avast, Kaspersky, AVG, and Norton are all well established and trustworthy companies. And just look at the numbers...how many millions of people around the world use each service? How many calls and messages is that? Probably a few hundred million a day. No one has the time to look at any of that, they're too busy tracking down viruses and implementing them in their virus definitions.

RE: Rooting: It is safe to root. All that does is change your permissions to access and modify the root-level system folder and everything in it. Basically, it extends your access. Rooting by itself won't harm your phone. It will, however, void your warranty and will prevent official software upgrades. If you root, you'll have to manually flash any updates that come out.

I rooted my last phone, and installed a custom ROM. Samsung and AT&T abandoned the Captivate and I just couldn't get the official Froyo onto the phone, so I took matters into my own hands. Out of the box, my Captivate had a horrible GPS. After I rooted and installed the custom ROM, the GPS improved quite a bit...for about a month. After that, it was so borked, it wouldn't even lock on any satellites on a clear day. Bottom line is that most ROMS are never perfect, so you run the risk of breaking something by installing them.

I have no desire, nor do I see a reason, to root or ROM my GS3. The phone runs flawlessly, the GPS is fantastic, All the UI modifications I want to make can be done with Nova Prime, and they let me install Swype Beta in addition to the official Swype (couldn't do that on the Captivate). So I'm happy with a stock phone.

If you're the kind of person who likes to tinker and you're okay with features breaking occasionally, then you might enjoy the experience of rooting and ROMming your phone. If you're the kind of person who'd get really pissed off if the GPS stopped working or other random glitches occur, then you'd probably better stick with stock.

Either way, there are plenty of options to make this phone your own. Just have fun!
  25. Thread Author  Thread Author    #25  

Thank ya, i like to have the features that make the phone easy to use, where as my iphone seemed to become slower with the jail break, i am going to do this phone right i would be quite happy jumping ship, just for the features. And bigger screen

i understand the name brands like u mentioned i had, norton, kerpersky and avast,

I am thinking about avast for the phone. running pc version right now never had trouble

I guess it worried me that they can look at calls and messsges, etc
    Last edited by myIphone4s; 02-01-2013 at 10:38 PM.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast