Screen goes BLANK during call in progress..HELP!!

bubz786

Jan 30, 2013
Visit site
Hi Guys,

My screen goes blank while a call is in progress. I can't end the call even the home, back and menu answell as the power button does nothing to make the screen come back on!

The only way to get it working again is to take the battery out!

Th phone and screen works fine any other time apart from when a call is in progress.

It just happened today, the phone has never been dropped or damaged.

Please help, this is very annoying.

ansextra

Apr 16, 2011
Visit site
Does it go blank when it's near your ear while talking on the phone or at other times? If it goes blank when near you ear that's what the phone is supposed to do. The screen is supposed to come back on after you move the phone away from your ear though.

bubz786

Jan 30, 2013
Visit site
I know the phone screen goes black when the phone is held up to the ear, but my problem is that the screen still remanis blank even when i move the phone from my ear or even when i press any buttons....

meyerweb#CB

Banned
Sep 4, 2009
Visit site
I haven't seen this. Have you tried powering down completely, and rebooting? Just like on windows, a reboot fixes many minor ills. Have you recently installed any new software, or changed any configurations related to power saving?

bubz786

Jan 30, 2013
Visit site
I have rebooted it and still the problem is there. I haven't changed any settings or installed new software. The only thing i downloadd was the met office app yesterday.

ansextra

Apr 16, 2011
Visit site
I have rebooted it and still the problem is there. I haven't changed any settings or installed new software. The only thing i downloadd was the met office app yesterday.
Not sure what the met office app is but if the phone worked correctly before you downloaded that have you tried removing that app to see if the phone works properly?

elmofloo

Mar 7, 2013
Visit site
hey,

did you manage to get the problem sorted? I've just gone to make a call and found I have the same problem, nothing on this post helped so I figured that it didnt help you much! Found another forum that had the answer. The sensor that turns the screen on and off, if develops a fault can cause this to happen. The 'Proximity' sensor can be turned off in call settings and this should solve the problem - it did for me!! (i dropped my phone last night and its put a crack over the sensor!):)

Dhawal Patel1

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site
what you only need to do is do a calibration Als_ps' calibration and it would solve your problem....

GO To Display setting and Calibrate Als_ps' calibration
before calibrating place your finger on Sensors and press Calibrate...
It worked for me
mail me if it worked for you also patelkdhawal@gmail.com

Insp_Gadget

Inspector Gadget
Apr 22, 2010
Visit site
The OP seems to be long gone, but I'm betting that this is a case of having a poorly-executed screen protector applied. Those are notorious for interfering with the proximity sensor on phones.

I've even seen cases where a person didn't remove the clear plastic shipping film on the phone, which of course interfered with the sensor.

mumangela

Jun 28, 2013
Visit site
I have a new L G E 400 and I have the same problem. My son suggested making the screen light delay 10 mins and I haven't had a much trouble since but it still happens. Sometimes all the options come back when the other person hangs up but often I have to take the battery out to re set it and stop it clocking up minutes. Its nothing to do with the sensor as I use the loudspeaker and don't have the phone near my ear. It does have a case which came with it and I don't think its that either. I thought it was just LG phones that had the problem but it seems to be other android phones to. Its ok if you make a call and the call is answered and they hang up but if the calls not answered or you want to cancel just nothing works but taking out the battery.

Last edited:

kees kerkhoven

Jul 2, 2013
Visit site
Had the same problem and couldn't solve it. Later I realised that it started to happen after I applied a protective foil on the screen.
I cut off a little piece of the foil so the screen is protected, but the area where the sensor is, is not covered.

Now it works fine again.
The phone just can see the difefrence between an eay and screen protection ;-)

Bmagaly

Jul 2, 2013
Visit site
I'm having exactly the same problem....with mine..... I even reset the phone tu factory setting but it didn't work...now is worst!!!! Have you fixed the problem????

- - - Updated - - -

I'm having exactly the same problem....with mine..... I even reset the phone tu factory setting but it didn't work...now is worst!!!! Have you fixed the problem????
Had the same problem and couldn't solve it. Later I realised that it started to happen after I applied a protective foil on the screen.
I cut off a little piece of the foil so the screen is protected, but the area where the sensor is, is not covered.

Now it works fine again.
The phone just can see the difefrence between an eay and screen protection ;-)

LawyerLynda

Jul 24, 2013
Visit site
Comprehensive list of fixes

What ultimately worked for me was calibrating the proximity sensor. Mine is a new Android 6" phablet, so I suspected it was a "settings" issue rather than a dust problem. But before I resolved my problem, I read every forum I could find on the topic. So, I thought it might be helpful to provide a summary of nearly ALL of the "fixes" I ran across, with the hope that one of them will work for you! You might get a chuckle out of some of these, as well. I sure did.

Calibrate the Sensor
Step-by-step:
1:Choose Settings;
2:Choose Display;
3:Choose Als_ps calibration; (may be worded differently on your phone)
4: Use a finger or other object to COVER THE SENSOR;
5: Follow the calibration prompts carefully.
(In my case, I simply had to click "Calibrate" followed by "OK".

Clean the Sensor
  • "Just pucker your lips and blow the dust off the top edge of the screen. That's it."
  • "take an old toothbrush and clean out the earpiece"
  • Spray a burst of compressed air into the orifices of your phone.
  • Simply wipe away smudges on the outside of the sensor and front-facing camera lens

Uncover the Sensor
Make sure that the sensor isn't obstructed. Did you remove the packing film? If you are using a cover, does it obscure the sensor at all? If so, remove the cover, cut out the appropriate corner, and replace.

Misc. Random and Quirky Ideas (quoted)
aka "The Users and Pushers Fix"
  • "For me help came with using front camera, probably adjusts the sensitivity for light. Very bright out, so indoors phone thinks that the sensor is blocked all the time."
  • "The camera trick didn't do it for me until I took a video using the front facing camera."
  • "apparently if you put pressure between the att logo and the ear speaker on the top of the phone, the screen comes back on" (My phone isn't ATT, and it doesn't have a logo, but, hey, I'm trying to be thorough...)
  • "try gently pushing your screen 'in' this cured the issue for me for my old 920 what used to click when i pressed the top"
  • "Try pushing hard on the ear speaker(left next to your front camera) "
  • "uninstalled Skype, took a photo & video with the front camera and soft-rebooted,"
  • " I reboot my phone in a really dark room. After that my phone keeps working for a few days"
  • "shining a very bright light into the proximity sensor"
  • "I powered off the phone, then covered the proximity sensor (near the front camera and the Nokia logo), and powered it on again in a dark place"
  • re "my Lumia 920 on EE in UK, ... I have since installed the 1308 update and this has sorted out the issue"

Most Creative Idea*
[Warning: Do Not Try This At Home, or May Be Hazardous To Your Health. Just sayin'.]

"need to open the phone (only two screws ;-) ) .... I just added a peace of sponge (W:4mm/H:5mm/L:15mm) (all weather door and window sealant) -that comes self adheasive from one side- and sticked a small peace on the board on the opposite side of the phonejack/secondary mic connectors ... this will add pressure on the board to be more tight ;-) tried it and working as normal. "
*See entire post here. There are pictures!

A Summary of the Summary
  • If you have a NEW PHONE, it is probably a calibration issue.
  • If you have a phone that was working properly before but is no longer being cooperative, it is probably a dirt, dust, or obstruction issue.

Anyone remember the days of rotary dial phones. It was so much simpler...

meyerweb#CB

Banned
Sep 4, 2009
Visit site
Re: Comprehensive list of fixes

I don't believe the S3 has any calibration option for the proximity sensor. At least I haven't been able to find one.

MRa85

Sep 5, 2013
Visit site
I know this thread is a few months old, but I stumbled onto it beacuse I've had my Moto X phone for 2 days and was having the same problem. After reading someone's post about the screen protector interferring with the sensor I though to remove the new case I had just put on the phone and voila, haven't had the problem since. Seems some cases can interfere with the sensor as well.

Insp_Gadget

Inspector Gadget
Apr 22, 2010
Visit site
I know this thread is a few months old, but I stumbled onto it beacuse I've had my Moto X phone for 2 days and was having the same problem. After reading someone's post about the screen protector interferring with the sensor I though to remove the new case I had just put on the phone and voila, haven't had the problem since. Seems some cases can interfere with the sensor as well.

Yup. Cases, screen protectors, really anything that covers the areas on either side of the earpiece can cause problems.

jesuisbenjamin

Sep 10, 2013
Visit site
I have a Colours Shine II, the same problem occurred only AFTER I inserted a SD card in the phone. Before that, phone calls worked perfectly fine.
So I conclude it is not related to the screen protection. I can see no option related to proximity sensors. AndroSensor tells me the proximity sensor reads a 0.0 in proximity.

jesuisbenjamin

Sep 10, 2013
Visit site
I removed the protecting film and indeed the screen didn't turn black. So the problem IS related to the proximity sensor. The question then is why the behaviour started ony after I added a SD card?

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jan