Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast
Like Tree41Likes
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Global Posts
    570 Global Posts

Default Blackberry Z10 vs. Samsung Galaxy S3

So now that Blackberry (not called RIM anymore) has unveiled their new Blackberry 10 phones... are any of you guys dropping your Galaxy S3's to pick up one of the new Blackberries?

Global Posts
    136 Global Posts

Default Re: Blackberry Z10 vs. Samsung Galaxy S3

Heck no! I don't trust their products anymore. They dropped the ball a long time ago.

Sent from my Verizon Samsung Galaxy S3

Probably not, but their new OS looks pretty sweet. i wouldn't mind trying one out at least.

I'm keeping it in mind for when the S3 quits receiving Official updates, fails, or if the custom ROMs for future Android releases are not available. Good to see that a viable option is there.

ROM
    TSBB 3.0.3/imo-5.1

Nope...but interested in what RIM, er, BlackBerry has done here.

sent from a Galaxy S3 near you
    TomsAndroid likes this.

I do appreciate how they've tried to innovate, and the OS looks kinda cool. But it would take a 4.8" screen, bigger battery, and a better app store before I'd give it a try. And even then, it would be more of an adventure, not because I was sick of or done with Android. Gotta give them credit though for innovating. Unlike Apple.

Sent from my Galaxy Note 10.1
    Droid Bionic>Droid Razr Maxx>Verizon Galaxy S3>T-Mobile Galaxy S3, Nexus 5, Samsung Galaxy Note 10.1

Global Posts
    2,989 Global Posts
    ROM
    CM 10.2

I would still remain on Android OS platform, but if BlackBerry come back with really good innovative apps (which should includes all the app I use now on Android), I would go for it. For some reason I like the physical keyboard they had on Bold 99xx.

If the GS 4 is better, I would rather go for that unit...
    http://sanuja.com | SGH-I747M

ROM
    Intergalactic 2.4

NOPE.

Sent from my rooted Samsung Galaxy S3 i747 running Intergalactic v2.4

Global Posts
    1,859 Global Posts
    ROM
    TeamSonicFreeGS3 v9.1

Nah. Camera app looks cool though.

Quote Originally Posted by LegalAmerican View Post
    I do appreciate how they've tried to innovate, and the OS looks kinda cool. But it would take a 4.8" screen, bigger battery, and a better app store before I'd give it a try. And even then, it would be more of an adventure, not because I was sick of or done with Android. Gotta give them credit though for innovating. Unlike Apple.

That's what I'm thinking too, I mean Apple is making the same mistakes RIM did but at least RIM is trying to make something new.
    V J

Global Posts
    136 Global Posts

I took a quick skim over the review in CrackBerry but I'm not interested enough to delve any deeper. I'm just wondering what it's selling points are? None of the specs seem better than the GS3 (underwhelming since the GS4 is on it's way), it doesnt have any unique selling points like the Lumia 920 did (great cam, unique looks and interesting UI) and even that phone didn't make a dent on iphone5/GS3 sales stronghold. I'm just sort of baffled with the Z10, the outside looks too much like an iphone5, the inside software looks too much like android, nothing special on top??
    TomsAndroid likes this.
  12. Thread Author  Thread Author    #12  

Global Posts
    570 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by LegalAmerican View Post

Thing is... people who want Blackberries wouldn't want a 4.8" or larger phone. This is a different market than the Samsung Galaxy S3. I think Blackberry nailed it with the 4.2" screen size.
    HafeezAkmal likes this.
  13. Thread Author  Thread Author    #13  

Global Posts
    570 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by mssca View Post
    I would still remain on Android OS platform, but if BlackBerry come back with really good innovative apps (which should includes all the app I use now on Android), I would go for it. For some reason I like the physical keyboard they had on Bold 99xx.

If the GS 4 is better, I would rather go for that unit...
    A physical keyboard would be nice... but you give up so much screen space on that Q10 phone for the physical keyboard.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Tkbredx View Post
    Nah. Camera app looks cool though.
    Well we will have something very similar soon with "Best Face". The Galaxy Note 2 came with it... and we will get it in the next update.

Quote Originally Posted by crester View Post
    Thing is... people who want Blackberries wouldn't want a 4.8" or larger phone. This is a different market than the Samsung Galaxy S3. I think Blackberry nailed it with the 4.2" screen size.
    Thats not always true at all, at my company especially the older sales force want the largest screen they can get. The issue blackberry is going to have is getting people who have already switched to come back. It's a different situation if you are still running a bold 9700 or a torch because the upgrade might be easy in the sense its a similar platform. Someone like me however who always had a BB in the past moved to a GS3 and I see no advantage to moving back. The specs are good but not great and by the time the phone comes out we will be hearing about the next iphone and GS4, etc.

I do wish Blackberry well and want them to succeed just not sure this phone is going to do it for them.
    neiljay6 and dfdesign like this.

I definitely agree, but the thread is asking if it's enough currently to make us want to switch. So I am saying No, and giving my reasons. I'm not questioning what BlackBerry did here.

I don't have an S3, and I may be the only person on the planet who liked the BB Storm, but I'd jump at the chance to go back to BB. Probably just nostalgia...

The one thing I haven't seen mentioned anywhere is the licensing cost for companies to get people on a Blackberry server. As I recall it's extremely expensive especially when talking about lots of users. With iPhones, Android and Microsoft using ActiveSync I honestly don't see how Blackberry can hope to get back in the market. ActiveSync has added sufficient security options as far as I know to satisfy most corporations and to my knowledge it's free other than server access and space.

Global Posts
    1,532 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock Rooted Mk3

(Laughs silently) From what I've seen of blackberry 10. Rim basically took the best features of android and the best of iOS, mashed them together, then called it their own creation.

What a joke!?!

Sent from my SPH-L710
    Current Laptop - Samsung Ativ 4 Book, Ivy Bridge I7 @ 2.00GHz per Core, 8GB DDR3 Ram, Intel HD 4000, 750GB SATA

Please don't thank me unless I have helped you in some way, if you like my post then click like not thanks.

Check out my github @ https://github.com/gollum18 or My Android Applications @ http://lrdev.net76.net
    grunt0300 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by gollum18 View Post
    (Laughs silently) From what I've seen of blackberry 10. Rim basically took the best features of android and the best of iOS, mashed them together, then called it their own creation.

What a joke!?!

Sent from my SPH-L710
    Clearly you didn't even check out the features. Alot of the new stuff the BB10 can do has never been done before.
    Last edited by xlDeMoNiClx; 01-31-2013 at 12:41 PM.
    Thanked by:
    LegalAmerican and crester like this.

@Piratefan: "I don't have an S3, and I may be the only person on the planet who liked the BB Storm, but I'd jump at the chance to go back to BB. Probably just nostalgia... "

I really liked my Storm but as apps grew bigger, it overwhelmed the Storm's (original) memory. I now have a Torch 9850 and recently bought a Note II that I ported my land line number to so I can learn and enjoy the features of Android OS. I do plan to upgrade to the Z10 in May when my upgrade is due but will also keep using the Note II.
    npunk42 and neiljay6 like this.

Global Posts
    3,645 Global Posts
    ROM
    Android 4.4.2

So now that Blackberry (not called RIM anymore) has unveiled their new Blackberry 10 phones... are any of you guys dropping your Galaxy S3's to pick up one of the new Blackberries?
    I wouldn't buy one, even if i was still using my Samsung Blackjack!
    Give yourself, to the Dark Side!

Quote Originally Posted by gollum18 View Post

What a joke!?!

Sent from my SPH-L710
    I disagree. I'm sure they took some bits and pieces, but from what i've seen it's entirely different. You can't say an interface that is entirely navigated by gestures has copied on screen nav buttons or pull down notifications. Those two features make the experience completely new. The only aspect that reminded me of something that already exists, is how swiping from left to right opens the hub. Kinda like Apple when it opens the web browser or search or whatever it is.
    crester likes this.

Nah, I think BB10 has some interesting attributes. But I'm pretty invested in Android right now and it fills my needs for what I need a phone to do.

I think for those who recently jumped from a BB device to an Android or IOS device, it may be more tempting.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Android Central Forums

ROM
    TSBB 3.0.3/imo-5.1

Quote Originally Posted by piratefan View Post
    I don't have an S3, and I may be the only person on the planet who liked the BB Storm, but I'd jump at the chance to go back to BB. Probably just nostalgia...
    Ha!!! I remember my "Storm" days....smh. Was rummaging thru my spares bin looking for a USB cable and stumbled upon this relic.

Global Posts
    1,532 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock Rooted Mk3

Um wasnt the storm considered a flop? BBS never appealed to me. As a smartphone they were just too clunky for me especially since they had that generic physical keyboard. I had a windows phone with one and for me it made it unusable.

Sent from my SPH-L710
    Current Laptop - Samsung Ativ 4 Book, Ivy Bridge I7 @ 2.00GHz per Core, 8GB DDR3 Ram, Intel HD 4000, 750GB SATA

Please don't thank me unless I have helped you in some way, if you like my post then click like not thanks.

Check out my github @ https://github.com/gollum18 or My Android Applications @ http://lrdev.net76.net
Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast