Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Best Automation Apps for S3

There's a huge and pretty awesome thread Llama - Who's Using It and Any Good Examples? For the S3 with stock Jellybean 4.1.1 specifically though, what apps have you evaluated or are using for automation tasks? The three main things I'd like to accomplish are:
    1. Enable "Blocking Mode" for work and evening (sleeping) timeframes. I understand that some have gotten Blocking Mode to work, however, attempts for me always result in force closes.
    2. Automatically turn on/off WiFi based upon preferred access points.
    3. Reduce volume during workday.

Apps with minimal battery and performance hits would be a bonus.

Default Re: Best Automation Apps for S3

I use Settings Profile, but it won't do point 1. On my Sprint GS3, blocking mode works fine. I'm guessing you have a Verizon phone, and Verizon seems to have deliberately broken it.

And point 2 may not be possible. If WiFi is off, how will the phone know if you're near an access point? But SP will let you turn WiFi on and off based on your location as determined by cell towers, which works for me.
    PLEASE, when asking for help provide as much information as possible. We can't help unless we know what the symptoms are and what you did before they began.

If I've helped you, please click the "Thanks" button.

Have a Galaxy S3? Click here ==> Everything you wanted to know about your Galaxy S3
    Thanked by:
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

Quote Originally Posted by meyerweb View Post
    I use Settings Profile, but it won't do point 1. On my Sprint GS3, blocking mode works fine. I'm guessing you have a Verizon phone, and Verizon seems to have deliberately broken it.

And point 2 may not be possible. If WiFi is off, how will the phone know if you're near an access point? But SP will let you turn WiFi on and off based on your location as determined by cell towers, which works for me.
    Thanks and good guess. Blocking Mode broken. #2 is oddly possible since WiFi appear to be in a low power sleep state even if its toggled off in Settings. So soon as I enter into a WiFi access point that I don't want to use some apps freak out since they try to use WiFi prior to actually authenticating. I think there's a workaround for this that requires root and I have root, but think it will be cool if I can solve this in an automated fashion. Sounds like Settings Profile uses cell towers like Llama. I'll check it out.

Global Posts
    1,858 Global Posts
    ROM
    TeamSonicFreeGS3 v9.1

Llamas great for me!
    Thanked by:

Global Posts
    2,989 Global Posts
    ROM
    CM 10.2

I use Tasker... what makes this app stand out compared to Tasker? (for those who have used both)
    http://sanuja.com | SGH-I747M

Automateit free or tasker can accomplish your goals, I usually use automateit because tasker is inconsistent for me

Sent from yo moms house son!😎😎Using my SPH - L710 running AOKP Rom 4.1.2, now initiating Swagger
    Android is a tune up sports car with custom interior, sound system, and IOS is a stock model benz

I use Android, because unlike IOS, i keep my apps in app drawers, and not infinitely cluttered homescreens
    Thanked by:

Global Posts
    760 Global Posts

Setting Profile here.

llama annoyed me by not letting me set the ringer volume and notification volume separately. It kept whining about a bug in the Android software. I kept getting these really low phone rings or really loud notifications. Kind of defeated the point of having the program.
    Setting profile just works.
    Thanked by:

Global Posts
    260 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock Rooted

Love Lllama. Even though I only use it to: 1). Turn on GPS when certain apps are open. 2.) Turn wifi on/off when I approach/leave home and school
    Did I help you at all? Return the favor by giving me a "thanks"
    LG Rumor -> LG Rumor Touch -> LG Optimus S (Cyanogenmod 7.2 on 2.3.5) -> Samsung Galaxy S3 (MK3 Barebones on 4.3) -> LG Nexus 5 (Carbon Nightlies on 4.4.2)
  9. Thread Author  Thread Author    #9  

Quote Originally Posted by mssca View Post
    I use Tasker... what makes this app stand out compared to Tasker? (for those who have used both)
    Tasker and AutomateIT are also on my list to evaluate. Currently trying Llama, and think it has much to offer. I will test it out over this weekend more, particularly for the Silent Profile and sleeping time.

Quote Originally Posted by Dog5000 View Post
    Thanks and good guess. Blocking Mode broken. #2 is oddly possible since WiFi appear to be in a low power sleep state even if its toggled off in Settings. So soon as I enter into a WiFi access point that I don't want to use some apps freak out since they try to use WiFi prior to actually authenticating. I think there's a workaround for this that requires root and I have root, but think it will be cool if I can solve this in an automated fashion. Sounds like Settings Profile uses cell towers like Llama. I'll check it out.
    I just checked, and Setting Profiles (sorry, I got the 's' in the wrong place in my prior post) does allow location by WiFi AP. I haven't tried it yet, but will do so soon.
    PLEASE, when asking for help provide as much information as possible. We can't help unless we know what the symptoms are and what you did before they began.

If I've helped you, please click the "Thanks" button.

Have a Galaxy S3? Click here ==> Everything you wanted to know about your Galaxy S3

Global Posts
    760 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by meyerweb View Post
    I just checked, and Setting Profiles (sorry, I got the 's' in the wrong place in my prior post) does allow location by WiFi AP. I haven't tried it yet, but will do so soon.
    Yes, I use Setting Profiles rules based on WiFi APs. At work I have one set of rules, at home another, and away from both, another.
    But there is a glitch. Once I am on say my work AP, then when I drive away and am no long connected to that AP, it still think I am at work and doesn't change rules for some odd reason. I worked around it easily by adding time based rules.