Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Trodecke
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Global Posts
    954 Global Posts

Default Facebook keeps turning NOTICATIONS back on

Just last week this problem started, and I have never had this issues before. I started getting Facebook notifications on my phone stating I had a new message. I had never had this option checked, nor have I wanted it. I have enough going on, on my phone that I don't need Facebook notifying me.
    So I went into settings and unchecked the NOTIFICATIONS box. Thinking it was possible I checked it by accident. It has now happened 2 more times since this week.
    Is anyone else having this same frustrating issue happening to them? Did FB once again screw with my privacy in a recent update and put something in their code to keep CHECKING this feature even though I want it off?
    Any help would be great!
    Samsung Galaxy S4 SGH-I337M - 4.2.2
    Telus Mobility
    Niagara Falls, Ontario, Canada
    ---

Global Posts
    576 Global Posts

Default Re: Facebook keeps turning NOTICATIONS back on

Did you uncheck notifications in both the Facebook app AND the Facebook Messenger app?
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

Global Posts
    954 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by crester View Post
    Did you uncheck notifications in both the Facebook app AND the Facebook Messenger app?
    I am not using the Facebook Messenger App. I am just using Facebook with chat built in, there is only one place to check off NOTIFICATIONS and I keep un-checking it and it keeps rechecking it off on it's own and it's REALLY starting to **** me off.
    Telus Mobility
    ---

Global Posts
    316 Global Posts

I've noticed that the FB app, specifically the Android version, really seems to want to do whatever it wants to do. I've not seen the notifications issue but I do have my display order change all on its own. It'll say it's set to display most recent but it's actually displaying the trending posts.

I'm not for sure if it's just bad coding on Facebook's part or maybe an over aggressive memory management system on Android's part.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy Note 2, the biggest beast on the block.
    Darth Spock likes this.

Global Posts
    576 Global Posts

Actually now that I think about it I had a similar problem with the "Nearby" feature. After I upgraded to a certain version of the Facebook App... it would keep sending notifications to my phone every time a friend would check in at a place in the City.

This really for annoying and I turned that notification off but they still kept coming. Eventually I stopped getting those notifications. It's as if it took time for my request to not get notified for check ins to fully get processed.
  6. Thread Author  Thread Author    #6  

Global Posts
    954 Global Posts

Glad to hear I am not the only one. When I turn notifications off, they stay off for a while but then, without warning, boom, I am getting them again!
    I am one of those that doesn't live on facebook, so having it on my phone is simply a novelty, not a necessity. So if it keeps happening I will just remove it.
    Telus Mobility
    ---

Maybe try going into the settings,uncheck (again) save the settings and then restart the phone. It may help. I do that after when my apps have an update. just restart the phone. I dunno why but i do but it might help?
    Or simply remove the app and then re install?

I had that happen to me on my Nexus over the last couple of days and I did not install the last, intrusive update. It just turned them back on without my consent.
    Pat

Galaxy Nexus 10 - stock KitKat 4.4.4
    Galaxy Nexus 7 (2nd Generation) - stock KitKat 4.4.4
    Chromecast
    Nexus 5 - stock KitKat 4.4.4

I'm not sure if it's the same in the plain Facebook app, but with the Messager app, when you uncheck Notifications and go back to the main menu, it says "Notifications are turned off, they will automatically turn on at 7:50pm" (it sets it to turn back on after 12 hours) I cannot figure out how to prevent it from turning back on.