Android System eating your battery? Check this.

meyerweb#CB

Banned
Sep 4, 2009
Visit site
For the most part, I'm pretty happy with my battery life on my GS3. Could it be better? Sure. But except when I'm tethering or using navigation, I can generally get through the day on a full charge, and most days I can plug in at least for an hour or two at my desk or in my car.

But, some people clearly have an issue with Android System chewing through the battery. And twice, I found that happening to me. Android System was using more than half of my battery.

Unfortunately, knowing that Android System (henceforth AS) is using battery doesn't tell you much. AS is made up of a couple of dozen processes, and the phone gives you no way to tell which process(es) are at fault. I tried a couple of battery monitors, but they didn't provide any more granularity than the built in battery display. But my old standby for analyzing system issues, System Panel does (at least in the paid version): https://forums.androidcentral.com/e...panel.r1&feature=search_result&token=rSYS5T7K..

Turn on the monitoring feature, and you can see with a great deal of detail exactly what apps or processes are using cpu, which is a pretty good analog for battery usage other than screen and radio usage. Over one 8 hour period, System Processes used more than 90% of cpu, and one process, QOSMGR, used 88%:
Screenshot_2013-01-30-06-57-01.png

A reboot stopped the run away process, but a week later it happened again, so I started doing some research. I found some threads showing this killing the battery in some 3rd party ROMs, and recommendations to rename it as QOSMGR.bak, but not much more info than that. One poster on XDA says QOSMGRs don't accomplish much normal devices, and are more useful on routers. I'm rooted, btw, but on a completely stock ROM. QoS Managers, if you don't know, are processes designed to prioritize network traffic, based on a sometimes complicated set of unexplained rules and magic. With not much info available, I decided to rename it and see if I could detect any issues.

After a week, everything seems to be fine. I detect no network performance issues on wifi, 3g or 4g. And AS hasn't gone nuts since then. It generally runs at about 5% to 10% of cpu if I'm using the phone, somewhat more if the phone is mostly idle.

If you don't want to buy an app to check on this, there is one built-in tool that may help figure out what's going on. Go to Settings / Developer options, turn that option on, then scroll down and check the Show CPU usage option.

This turns on an overlay in the top right of the screen that shows all the current processes using cpu. When QOSMGR was running amuck, it was constantly on the top of the list, and highlighted in red. If the same process is constantly at the top of this list, it's probably your problem:

Screenshot_2013-02-04-18-12-17.png

So for now, I'm happy with renaming QOSMGR to QOSMGR.bak. Unfortunately, you have to be rooted to do this, but if QOSMGR is killing your battery.... The S3 is about as easy a phone to root as anything on the market. Just make sure you follow instructions for your specific version of phone and carrier.

KreepyKen

Just a cool guy
Jul 17, 2011
Visit site
Awesome sleuthing, meyerweb. This might be the problem at the heart of the plummet issue. I suspect the GS3 has a problem reconciling which network to use when it's connected to wifi in an LTE area. I'll definitely use this CPU usage feature next time I experience the plummet and see if QOSMGR is the culprit.

Thank you very much!

meyerweb#CB

Banned
Sep 4, 2009
Visit site
More info on "run away" Android System processes:

As a followup, some more research into battery eating system processes turned up a process called GSIFF_Daemon. This process apparently can run amok, causing the same symptoms as QOSMGR, (rapid battery discharge, high CPU usage, Android System using most of the battery). i can't find any concrete information on what this process does, so I'm reluctant to rename it unless it actually causes me problems. Some think it's related to the GPS, some say the "gyroscope" sensor. No one seems to know for sure. There is some evidence that this process starts to run out of control when the phone reboots unexpectedly. I can neither confirm nor contradict that.

The processes I went through in my OP will identify if GSIFF_daemon is the problem. If it is, it appears none of the software I used above will let you kill it. The app System Tuner: https://forums.androidcentral.com/e...e/search?q=system+tuner&c=apps&token=8MvOlzAT is supposed to do so. I'll test it later.

I also found an app that might help identify a run-away process before it has time to drain your battery too much. Watchdog: https://forums.androidcentral.com/e...bS56b211dC53YXRjaGRvZ2xpdGUiXQ&token=7ftQUHKU.. let's you set a threshold of cpu percentage, and if any single app or process exceeds that threshold it will provide a notification.

If you're one of those with repeated run-away Android system usage, this app may be worthwhile, too.

jeffreii

CrackBerry Convert
Apr 20, 2012
Visit site
Thanks for this info. I have definitely done the developer options toggle to check for gsiff_daemon and never seen it...I will have to do it again for the next plummet to check for QOSMGR now.

Lots of gsiff_daemon stuff here:
[Q] what is Gsiff_daemon and why is it destroying my battery? - xda-developers
Seems to have some similarities with the QOSMGR...I have seen people in gsiff_daemon threads mentioning they have added .bak to both gsiff_daemon and QOSMGR to avoid the runaway CPU usage.

Trees

Sep 20, 2012
Visit site
Great thread and tips from everyone. Nice to come home after a long day at work and read some good technical stuff just for fun. I'm going to dig into this later tonight :D

KreepyKen

Just a cool guy
Jul 17, 2011
Visit site
Plummet happened to me this morning. I turned on the Show CPU Usage option and watched it for a couple minutes. Neither QOSMGR nor GSIFF_daemon showed up at all. :(

jeffreii

CrackBerry Convert
Apr 20, 2012
Visit site
Plummet happened to me this morning. I turned on the Show CPU Usage option and watched it for a couple minutes. Neither QOSMGR nor GSIFF_daemon showed up at all. :(

Echoing my comments in my plummet thread...no sign of QOSMGR during two different plummet scenarios. It's certainly something to check, along with gsiff_daemon, but unfortunately not the answer for me. It's worth having a look at if you're experiencing poor battery life, though, so thanks to meyerweb for investigating.

I also gave the Watchdog app a try - kept it running during the plummet for a few hours - it never caught anything abnormal.

fotyc

Jan 10, 2013
Visit site
I am running NQ Android Booster (free) and peeked into a list of what applications are using the most battery - at the top was... "USB Services"?? I have never yet connected my phone to my computer, so those services must do things other than you might guess from the name. Why might this be a high-consuming application and is that normal/ok? Interestingly, that item does NOT appear when I look at the battery consumers found on the Settings/Battery screen...

meyerweb#CB

Banned
Sep 4, 2009
Visit site
I got android.process.media on the top of the list

how can i turn this off??

The media process runs whenever you download any file, including apps and updates from the play store, in addition to viewing videos or listening to music. Any chance you've done a lot of that lately? What's your battery life like? A runaway process will generally kill a battery very rapidly.

meyerweb#CB

Banned
Sep 4, 2009
Visit site
I am running NQ Android Booster...

Not familiar with that app, but:

1. I've never seen USB Services show up at all in System Panel, so I'm not sure what it is or what it's doing. I find System Panel to be the best tool around for seeing what's going on under the covers. Download the free version and see what it says. Also try searching Google for that service and see if you can find anything.

2. In general, these apps (like NQ) that kill background processes and free up memory make things worse, not better.

fotyc

Jan 10, 2013
Visit site

1. I've never seen USB Services show up at all in System Panel, so I'm not sure what it is or what it's doing. I find System Panel to be the best tool around for seeing what's going on under the covers. Download the free version and see what it says. Also try searching Google for that service and see if you can find anything.

2. In general, these apps (like NQ) that kill background processes and free up memory make things worse, not better.

Thanks... I uninstalled NQ, and installed Watchdog, and didn't see that process. I like knowing what's going on so I'll try this other app too.

bondsons

May 26, 2013
Visit site
I started having the same problem this morning (Galaxy S3). I solved it and for 8 hrs now all seems back to normal. My battery tracker pointed to "media" has the problems. It was consuming 50% of CPU and 65% of my battery. I think that "media hub" was the source of the problem though. Uninstall the updates for the app and then it will give you the option to disable it. Once I did that and restarted my phone it was back to 6% of the battery and no mention of any CPU being used. That is what is normal for my phone.

acgiorgio

Jul 2, 2014
Visit site

why do you say that apps like NQ etc. make things worse?
Thanks

meyerweb#CB

Banned
Sep 4, 2009
Visit site
Because of the way Linux, and Android, manage memory.

First, understand how ROM works. There's really no such thing as "unused" memory. Every byte of ROM is constantly refreshed, even if not being used by an active application. When you kill an app, Android doesn't "turn off" that memory. The remnants of what was using that memory just stay there until the memory is needed by something else. So the idea that killing an app saves memory, which saves battery, isn't true.

Second, nature, and Android, abhor a vacuum. Unused RAM is wasted RAM. Here's why: When you decide to open an app, Android must first find that app in your flash ROM storage (the 8, or 16, or 32GB of strorage often, and mistakenly, called memory). Then it has to read that application apk, compile it with Dalvik, and copy (write) it into RAM. Only then can it start executing the app. All the reading and writing takes time and battery. So to speed things up, Android will preload recently and frequently used apps into unused RAM, on the assumption that you'll use it again, soon.

So when you kill an app, you're telling Android "Hey, here's some unused RAM, prefetch a recently used app for me, " which starts the read from ROM and write to RAM process. It might even be reloading the app you just killed.

Third, most apps are reasonably well behaved in the background, using very little in the way of resources. Constantly killing and reloading (which involves recompiling with Dalvik) apps uses more battery than just letting those apps sit there, waiting for you to call on them again. If you do have an app that uses lots of background resources unnecessarily, finding an alternative app is probably better than using a task killer.

Prior to Android Honeycomb, task killers were reasonably effective. Android managed memory much differently, and killing off processes wouldn't simply cause another one to be loaded. But starting with Honeycomb, Google said task killers were counterproductive.

There is one exception I am aware of to the general rule that task killers are bad, and that's the app Greenify. And even with this app, only if you use it carefully. Greenify let's you specify apps to be killed when you shut off the screen, and prevents those apps from reloading automatically. Used judiciously, only on those apps and processes that tend to consume a lot of background resources, and which you don't use very often, Greenify can make a difference. But use it on too many apps, and you run right back to the problem where Android is constantly reloading RAM. Use it on apps that you use frequently, and every time you access the app you're likely using more battery than if you had just left it running.

Greenify works best on a rooted phone, but can be used on a non-rooted phone as well, with some limitations. And no, I have no financial interest in Greenify, or any other Android app.

Last edited:

Karl Thomas

Jun 24, 2014
Visit site
For the most part, I'm pretty happy with my battery life on my GS3. Could it be better? Sure. But except when I'm tethering or using navigation, I can generally get through the day on a full charge, and most days I can plug in at least for an hour or two at my desk or in my car.

But, some people clearly have an issue with Android System chewing through the battery. And twice, I found that happening to me. Android System was using more than half of my battery.

Unfortunately, knowing that Android System (henceforth AS) is using battery doesn't tell you much. AS is made up of a couple of dozen processes, and the phone gives you no way to tell which process(es) are at fault. I tried a couple of battery monitors, but they didn't provide any more granularity than the built in battery display. But my old standby for analyzing system issues, System Panel does (at least in the paid version): https://forums.androidcentral.com/e...panel.r1&feature=search_result&token=e6O2piIc..

Turn on the monitoring feature, and you can see with a great deal of detail exactly what apps or processes are using cpu, which is a pretty good analog for battery usage other than screen and radio usage. Over one 8 hour period, System Processes used more than 90% of cpu, and one process, QOSMGR, used 88%:
https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/-...2UxMc/s725/Screenshot_2013-01-30-06-57-01.png

A reboot stopped the run away process, but a week later it happened again, so I started doing some research. I found some threads showing this killing the battery in some 3rd party ROMs, and recommendations to rename it as QOSMGR.bak, but not much more info than that. One poster on XDA says QOSMGRs don't accomplish much normal devices, and are more useful on routers. I'm rooted, btw, but on a completely stock ROM. QoS Managers, if you don't know, are processes designed to prioritize network traffic, based on a sometimes complicated set of unexplained rules and magic. With not much info available, I decided to rename it and see if I could detect any issues.

After a week, everything seems to be fine. I detect no network performance issues on wifi, 3g or 4g. And AS hasn't gone nuts since then. It generally runs at about 5% to 10% of cpu if I'm using the phone, somewhat more if the phone is mostly idle.

If you don't want to buy an app to check on this, there is one built-in tool that may help figure out what's going on. Go to Settings / Developer options, turn that option on, then scroll down and check the Show CPU usage option.

This turns on an overlay in the top right of the screen that shows all the current processes using cpu. When QOSMGR was running amuck, it was constantly on the top of the list, and highlighted in red. If the same process is constantly at the top of this list, it's probably your problem:

https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/-...DkeSQ/s725/Screenshot_2013-02-04-18-12-17.png

So for now, I'm happy with renaming QOSMGR to QOSMGR.bak. Unfortunately, you have to be rooted to do this, but if QOSMGR is killing your battery.... The S3 is about as easy a phone to root as anything on the market. Just make sure you follow instructions for your specific version of phone and carrier.
Very helpful!
Thank you so much.

hulio eglacias

Apr 17, 2015
Visit site
edit:
ok never mind i found it... RTFM i know
but its not intuitive at all...
choose 'monitor'
tap 'plot' at top
then tap 'top apps'
thats a terribly buried way to find the most important thing for your battery!!!

i cannot get that app (systemPanel) to simply list apps by battery usage, nor get a list like the one at the start of this post. what am i missing? the app seems to be really chaotic in its organization...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sleezzyy21