Message tone option.

deanodrums

Aug 4, 2012
Visit site
I have just recently factory reset my phone and on looking around my contact settings I see there is an option to have a separate ringtone and message tone for just ONE contact. For me I'd always liked this option when I had a BlackBerry.
My problem is this. I set my ringtone to default and set a mp3 as a message tone. It doesn't seem to work. It just plays the default tone I have set for my text messages. Why is this? Does anyone have the same problem.

I have noticed that when you press the options- contacts to display-phone I can change these tones which is what I have done. But I have had the contacts to display- sim which doesn't allow you to change any tones and will use only defaults.

This is bugging me!!

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Android Central Forums

meyerweb#CB

Banned
Sep 4, 2009
Visit site
Really? My Sprint S3 only has an option for individual ringtones in the Contacts app. What version of Android is on your phone? Can you show a screen print. (I"m just curious about this option for setting message tones in the contact app.)

Anyway, check the messaging app. I think you can set a notification tone there, and it's probably overriding anything set in contacts. I'm not sure how you'd turn that off, though.

deanodrums

Aug 4, 2012
Visit site
For some reason i cant upload screenshots via my phone. Grrr. I shall keep trying.
I have the latest update (JellyBean 4.1.2) but i have an international S3.

If you go into contacts and click on a contact it will give you an option for Ringtone,Message Alert and Vibration pattern.
My ringtone for the certain contact is at default but the message tone i have changed. I dont bother with the vibration.
So to test it i got my friend to text me but it was for the defualt text tone. I have used another tone to see if the mp3 tone i used wasnt working but it just uses the default.

I have looked into what you have suggested but when i go into the message settings there isnt anything i can see to help me out. It only has the option to change the message tone. Which i have.
I have looked at replacing the contacts with GO contacts but i dont like it.

meyerweb#CB

Banned
Sep 4, 2009
Visit site
Must be a new feature of 4.1.2, or maybe Sprint removed it from their version. I have only options for Ringtone and Vibration pattern. No message alert. :(

The Handcent messaging app will let you assign different notification tones for each contact you've gotten a text from. I suspect it will ignore whatever is in the contact, but at least you can set it in the app itself.

deanodrums

Aug 4, 2012
Visit site
OK I will have a look at hand cent. I think it might be a new feature but what is the point if it doesn't work? I think as you pointed out before is that another option is over riding it. What I dont know. I will put this into the s3 international thread to see if it just for international versions.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Android Central Forums

deanodrums

Aug 4, 2012
Visit site
Right i have found the answer. I spent an hour going through my contacts and un linking accounts connected with the contact. I had duplicates of the PHONE link. I dunno how.
I have even deleted them and now it works.
Cheers