3rd Party Msg App vs Stock
I noticed that I was getting separate text notices when coming from my iPhone friends - found out the stock messenger doesn't handle group texts thanks to this forum. As such, I downloaded a 3rd party app (Verizon Messegas). Sent a test text out last night to group and got replies back as a group. Now - here comes the questions I hope someone can clear up for me:
1) Is there a way to fully disable the stock messenger? Note, I've stopped the notifications on it but it's reduntant to have the replication in two different apps. If stopped...can it be restarted? Will it affect the 3rd party app when disabled?
2) After the test text, I went back to stock messenger just to look and was assuming it would have a ton individual replies. Nope! It now has group messenging - it has to be tapping into 3rd party app. Included in the group test was my wife who does not have the 3rd party VZ app and she could not get group to work. Anyone notice this before?
3) When sending/receiving group txt, why does it use 3G/4G data plan when there are no videos or pictures? I would've assumed since it was just a simple text it could be done off the network like standard person to person. This suprised me.
Non-rooted GS3 using JB through VZW.
Re: 3rd Party Msg App vs Stock
The stock Messaging app does have a Group feature[Only registered and activated users can see links. Click Here To Register...]but I don't know how well it works. It may be that it only handles Group messages with other smartphones, or only Android phones or perhaps just Samsung phones - I can't say since I don't use that feature.
1. Yes, you can disable the stock Messaging app - from a home screen: Menu button -> Manage apps -> All -> Messaging -> Disable
You can restart it the same way (just be aware that disabled apps are at the very bottom of the list). As to whether disabling it has any effect on 3rd party apps - I've never tried that.
2. No comment
3. Group messages are treated as MMS, which, at least on Verizon, requires a mobile data connection.[Only registered and activated users can see links. Click Here To Register...]Sent from my rooted, debloated, deodexed Sinclair ZX-80 running CM -0.001 using Tapatalk 2