Droid NAS

trucky

Oct 12, 2011
Visit site
It installs a Bonjour server on your phone. You have to run that and choose to share your media wirelessly. Then it makes your S3 like a pseudo USB drive via WiFi from other devices.

anon(631531)

Jan 5, 2012
Visit site
It installs a Bonjour server on your phone. You have to run that and choose to share your media wirelessly. Then it makes your S3 like a pseudo USB drive via WiFi from other devices.

Correct, except that it doesn't give you access to your extSD card. Can't figure out how to get that access, and repeated emails to the dev, have gone unanswered.:confused:

Trees

Sep 20, 2012
Visit site
Are you wanting to get stuff off of your external SD card and onto another system in your home network? Just trying to understand the use case as that may open up other apps or options that might work.

anon(631531)

Jan 5, 2012
Visit site
Are you wanting to get stuff off of your external SD card and onto another system in your home network? Just trying to understand the use case as that may open up other apps or options that might work.

Getting stuff off of my extSD was the original intention. The app was supposed to replace my having to take out the extSD card from the back of the phone, and put it into a card reader, to do what i wanted to do. Taking the extSD card out of the phone, wipes out all of the individual ringtones in my contacts list, among other things. The app says that it can access the sd & ext sd cards, but it isn't true. Absolutely no help from the developer. I'm open to any suggestions that you have. I also have a suspicion that i need root to get to the ext sd card, although it never mentioned that in the Play Store. Thanks for any help.:confused:

Trees

Sep 20, 2012
Visit site
Thanks for sharing. There are probably some options then. I know that Kies Air has had its ups/downs the past few months. I gave up on it due to some earlier instability that Kies Air had, but decided to check it out again just now as its free and comes with the stock OS. Kies Air does have the ability to browse the external SD card (screenshot attached).

I think AirDroid can do the same if I'm interpreting the difference between "System" and "SD Card" correctly. The File sharing feature (DLNA) would be nice if it worked. Thats under the Wireless and networks/Media share section in Settings. There are probably other good apps in Google Play that either function as a NAS or web server from which you can access files. Another thing I do is copy files to/from my S3 via FTP. I have a Mac Mini running FTP service on my local home network, and use AndFTP to move stuff around. From the shared storage that hangs off of the Mini, I can grab stuff and or place it on the common share for others to access. Works nicely as well.

Attachments

• KiesAirFileExplorer.jpg
    KiesAirFileExplorer.jpg
    16 KB · Views: 60
  • AirDroid_Files.jpg
    AirDroid_Files.jpg
    28.9 KB · Views: 11

anon(631531)

Jan 5, 2012
Visit site
Thanks for sharing. There are probably some options then. I know that Kies Air has had its ups/downs the past few months. I gave up on it due to some earlier instability that Kies Air had, but decided to check it out again just now as its free and comes with the stock OS. Kies Air does have the ability to browse the external SD card (screenshot attached).

I think AirDroid can do the same if I'm interpreting the difference between "System" and "SD Card" correctly. The File sharing feature (DLNA) would be nice if it worked. Thats under the Wireless and networks/Media share section in Settings. There are probably other good apps in Google Play that either function as a NAS or web server from which you can access files. Another thing I do is copy files to/from my S3 via FTP. I have a Mac Mini running FTP service on my local home network, and use AndFTP to move stuff around. From the shared storage that hangs off of the Mini, I can grab stuff and or place it on the common share for others to access. Works nicely as well.

Thanks. Kies Air is a viable alternative to Droid NAS. My Kies Air doesn't look like yours(the top photo), but it will do the job.:)

Trees

Sep 20, 2012
Visit site
Thanks. Kies Air is a viable alternative to Droid NAS. My Kies Air doesn't look like yours(the top photo), but it will do the job.:)
Sorry about that. Got the photo order reversed during the upload process. The top photo is AirDroid.

anon(631531)

Jan 5, 2012
Visit site
Sorry about that. Got the photo order reversed during the upload process. The top photo is AirDroid.

Thanks again Dog5000. Kies Air came pre-loaded on my SGSIII, but i'm going to use AirDroid. It has a much smaller footprint. AirDroid= 4.91mb. Kies Air=21.73mb. It's a no brainer.:)

Jeff Fullmer

Jun 17, 2013
Visit site
Figured it out!

Via Droid NAS - Android

You can additionally share any folder on your device (including external SD cards) or remove unnecessary shares. Just tap and hold on the list of shares.

droid-nas-5-2-s-307x512.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
greenbelte15